Gransnet forums

Chat

Husband's healthy diet...not!

(64 Posts)
Nadateturbe Mon 30-Nov-20 16:40:29

My husband passed me the shopping list to double check before we place the order.
His sweet treats for the week as follows:

Lemon drizzle cake
9 snack size Snickers (will only eat 7 )
6 mince pies
Tub of vanilla ice cream
12 bottles of Peroni beer

I might have a small slice of cake. The rest is his. How could anyone consume all that as well as their three meals?

Urmstongran Wed 02-Dec-20 15:54:04

We are not robots.

One person’s diet might be processed fine (for them) yet make another person ill.
Genetics plays a large part.

glammagran Wed 02-Dec-20 15:56:30

I also think this thread is judgemental. My mother had very high cholesterol as has every other member of my skinny family (though I’m not skinny like the rest). Nobody is diabetic. She was a vegetarian most of her life and weighed less than 6 stone when she died aged 87. I have treats every day, wine mostly, occasionally chocolate and I’m a cheese addict. I think you are just dealt a certain hand when it comes to the genes you inherit. I would hate to live my life in a state of angst regarding everything I consume,

Aepgirl Wed 02-Dec-20 16:36:27

Sounds a sensible ‘I wish’ list.

Lizbethann55 Wed 02-Dec-20 16:57:18

Whoops!!! I really hate to say this, but it didn't seem that truly dreadful to me!! Not if his actual meals are healthy and well balanced.

petra Wed 02-Dec-20 17:29:14

ExD
Have you ever imagined what it would be like to care for an obese diabetic. It's not pleasant. There's every probability that he will loose a limb before he dies.
I can't believe there are so many so called educated people on here who are so ignorant in regard to diabetes.
You have all been supporting the NHS these past 8 months but give no thought to the cost to the NHS due to diabetes.

icanhandthemback Wed 02-Dec-20 18:06:42

Petra, my whole family is predisposed to diabetes, even those who exercise well and have always eaten healthily. It doesn't seem to matter what sort of eater you are in this family, we all end up with it in the end. Some of us are skinny, some of us are overweight but few of us are obese.

It is really offensive to be kept being told that diabetics have no thought for the NHS. In fact, if I ate how the NHS advises on my diabetic journey, I'd probably be on more medication and possibly even insulin. They advise that a 3rd of my plate should be complex carbs...definitely a problem for my blood sugars. It was only when I ate to the meter, I was able to see how disastrous the advice was. BTW, my blood sugars are well controlled so I am not speaking defensively because I don't control it; it just irritates the hell out of me that the moment people find out you are Type 2, you are stigmatised.
If we are going to look judgementally at people who enjoy some unhealthy sugary treats, let's also look at the people who enjoy their wine (full of sugar), alcoholic drinks, coffee and tea (caffeinated), salt, etc, etc. All of these things impact our health and can have repercussions for the NHS. What about people who don't exercise enough or maybe they play sport and get injured? All these things can be avoided and cost the NHS.

Justwidowed Wed 02-Dec-20 18:18:02

I have been a type 1 diabetic for 67 years next February.Five injections a day ,numerous finger pricks .I eat mainly what I want by adjusting my insulin dose. I have no complications. I have been lucky.
Personally I consider type 2 diabetes to be more dangerous but by careful eating can be rescinded.
I haven't been in hospital for any treatment due to my diabetes since I was 18 .

Wishes Wed 02-Dec-20 19:34:14

The list looks fine to me, it's not over the top.

BlueSky Thu 03-Dec-20 09:36:11

Agree with Glamma and Ican. A lot of people with diabetes, high BP, high cholesterol etc are genetic, not related to life style. Some other luckier people can eat, drink, no exercise, and yet have no weight gain and in range blood tests!

nadateturbei Thu 03-Dec-20 10:41:51

I didn't realise people were still posting.
Some folk think it sounds ok. But as Bbbface said if you divide it into one each day it seems a lot, to me anyway.
Someone asked how would my husband feel about me posting which made me feel really bad. I was just trying to get an idea if it was ok/normal to eat so much.
To those who criticised me for 'policing' his food. If I didn't love him I wouldn't care what he ate.
But I take on board that some folk think its ok and will try to ignore it..a bit. Perhaps as I have problems which limit my diet and the amount of food I can eat, I am more aware of what he eats.

icanhandthemback Thu 03-Dec-20 11:33:37

After reading this thread, I thought I'd better check on my annual blood sugar results and was thrilled for the first time in years I am in the 'normal' range. I have done this by going virtually fat free, eating protein, fruit and veg with very limited complex carbs. This goes against NHS advice and Diabetes UK low carb/high fat, neither of which kept me on track. The NHS advice kept my blood sugars high, the Low Carb/High fat was so restrictive I would fall off the wagon and couldn't get my leg up to climb back up! My triglycerides are marginally up rather than the 8 times higher they were but I just can't seem to get my LDL down. I think that the only way to do that is to exercise so that is my next mountain to climb which is a bit more of a problem as I am disabled. How I wish I had better genes!

Hetty58 Sat 05-Dec-20 19:25:18

Petra, I really don't like the argument that the NHS is overloaded by those with an unhealthy lifestyle. Where exactly would you draw the line anyway?

We could judge and /or exclude smokers, drinkers, the overweight, those who don't exercise enough - along with 'unhealthy' eaters - but few would be left.

Health status is also influenced by heredity. Some of us are really lucky, others aren't.

Should only the 'naturally fit' be allowed to reproduce?

I'm a firm believer in 'a little of what you fancy does you good'!

Nadateturbe Mon 07-Dec-20 12:36:33

Vety well done Icanhandthemback. That is a really sensible diet, one which I followed but have slipped back although I didn't cut sugar completely. Thanks for the nudge! I so wish I could eat like my husband although not quite so much. I have such a sweet tooth. Like you with M.E. exercise is a problem, although I guess yours is more so.