Gransnet forums

Chat

Do as you are told!

(35 Posts)
Doodledog Wed 02-Dec-20 11:20:35

There are comments on so many threads saying that people 'should just do as they are told', 'obey the rules' etc, which made me wonder where people's boundaries would lie.

To use an extreme example and create a continuum, what if 'the rules' said that it would be better for society as a whole if all first-born children were sold into slavery, and we all had to take them to a central point so that this could be organised. Would you hand over your children or grandchildren? Would you report a neighbour if you knew that they were not complying, or ask 'what people don't understand' about the rules?

I'm guessing that most of us would draw the line long before that, so where is your own line in the sand, and what influences your attitude to compliance? Is it when your loved ones start to be affected? When you see other people doing something, so feel obliged to 'play fair' and share their pain? When you realise that the neighbours are watching you and you feel embarrassed in case you are judged? As soon as the government issue a decree, as they were voted in, and it is the law? Or something else entirely?

Do you make up your own mind about where you sit on a moral compass, and if so, do you feel that the state has a right to penalise people for sticking to their principles? What about possible reprisals if the government changes and the next one brings charges against those who were 'only obeying orders'? Would they be fair?

I realise that there are a lot of questions in there, but I wanted to leave it as open as possible, so that the thread does not become another about the virus - it would be interesting to explore attitudes without bringing the discussion back to Covid - there are plenty of other threads about that smile.

Doodledog Wed 02-Dec-20 14:44:48

MissAdventure

I was referring to the mental capacity act, deprivation of liberty legislation, and that kind of thing. smile

Ah. Well my point still stands - I did wonder about the 'least restrictive' bit, but I am no theologian!

MissAdventure Wed 02-Dec-20 14:45:48

What if everyone; friends, family, just did it?

Doodledog Wed 02-Dec-20 14:49:40

Just did what? Sorry, I don't understand your question (assuming it is to me).

Kate1949 Wed 02-Dec-20 14:51:33

Doodle What I meant to say was that we don't feel as though we're being told what to do. We're hoping the advisors have got it right and we're doing our best to follow the guidelines.

Kate1949 Wed 02-Dec-20 14:54:29

Apologies. I didn't read the post properly blush I was talking about Covid. I realise you were speaking generally.

AGAA4 Wed 02-Dec-20 15:17:42

For me rules have to make sense. Most laws I am happy to abide by as they have a purpose and are there to keep people safe.
A law telling you to give up your child would be inhumane and nobody would do it except by force.

MissAdventure Wed 02-Dec-20 15:18:05

Oh, sorry.
I meant what if everyone had always, and still did, give their first child into slavery?

Doodledog Wed 02-Dec-20 15:30:35

MissAdventure

Oh, sorry.
I meant what if everyone had always, and still did, give their first child into slavery?

I suppose that in that case I might feel differently, as I would have been taught the same rationale for the practice as others.

It was only really meant as a highly unlikely scenario to suggest that there is a point beyond which nobody would advocate blind obedience, and to stop the discussion being about the pros and cons of one law or situation grin. I was asked directly what I would do, so I replied, but it was never a serious question.

CherryCezzy Wed 02-Dec-20 16:31:08

Laws, guidance, regulation and tradition are all different to one another but all can be challenged, although sometimes the consequences of challenge can sometimes be fatal for the challenger no matter which is being challenged.

Taking *MissAdventure's question for example what if everyone had always, and still did, give their fist child into slavery, whether this is because there has always been a law that people are legally obliged to follow, or guidance which everyone had always followed eg. for what was advised to be for the greater good or whether tradition where it would be taboo for an individual to break can all the challenged but society, community or government is such that the consequences of challenge would be the same, fatal for the challenger.

Does this mean that no challenge should ever take place or the fact that it always results in the challenger being killed or incarcerated for life means that it won't ever take place! Many people have always laid down their lives to defend what they think is right, followed their own moral compass or done it to protect those they love, especially their own children.
I would.