Gransnet forums

Chat

Things your mother said that you never believed when you were younger.

(81 Posts)
trisher Wed 02-Dec-20 21:59:04

I remember when I was younger my mum telling me to tuck my top into my trousers because I'd get a draught. Then I ignored her because it didn't matter, I didn't feel the cold. But now I find myself tucking my vest in- and it is warmer. Has your mother ever turned out to be right about things?

Dottynan Fri 04-Dec-20 13:13:42

My husband's nan once told me " There are three sides to every story. Yours mine and the truth". How true

MamaCaz Fri 04-Dec-20 17:36:01

Even at three years of age, I didn't believe my mum's - or anyone else's- 'illigical' claims

If she suspected me of not telling the truth, she would make my stick my tongue out, saying there would be a line on it if I was lying.
If I sucked, she would warn that if the wind changed direction, my face would stay like that.
One Christmas, she said that Father Christmas listened down chimneys and would known if I misbehaved.

I clearly remembering thinking to myself at the time that these things were completely untrue! I'm not sure what that says about me blush

Hellogirl1 Fri 04-Dec-20 20:02:18

AuntyFlo, my piano teacher used one of those long, extra thick pencils to rap knuckles, not a ruler.

JackyB Fri 04-Dec-20 22:50:54

I have been racking my brains to remember anything my mother ever told me, but all I can come up with is that she always got cross with me for leaving the car in gear and my foot on the clutch when waiting at traffic lights.

I know she was right but I've never got out of the habit.

Keffie12 Fri 04-Dec-20 23:07:15

My late mom used to say "youth is wasted on the young" I used to roll my eyes. Its only now in my 50s I get it and get why I didn't get it in my teens? 20s 30s and early 40s ?