Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Tuesday

(60 Posts)
12Michael Tue 08-Dec-20 06:09:47

Good Morning Everyone,
Its another cold and frosty plus foggy start to the day here in Brackley .
Hoping my day goes to plan , done the urine sample, have switched form having coffee to herbal tea , more refreshing .
Plan to visit Bicester as well.
Take Care ,
Mick

Urmstongran Tue 08-Dec-20 13:37:47

??

Pittcity Tue 08-Dec-20 12:45:31

Thanks for worrying about me Urmston. I'm more bored than low.
Tier 2 and rubbish weather mean loads of time indoors. I am not used to spending so much time with DH ?
Yes we're in limbo with our house move and DS will soon be home from his Naval Base for Christmas. Then I'll have too much to do. xx

annsixty Tue 08-Dec-20 12:35:45

While I did want to greet you all, that post was meant for soops kitchen ?tchblush

annsixty Tue 08-Dec-20 12:24:30

Good afternoon on a wet and miserable day here in Stockport.
This is what I am coming back as “next time”
I hope Fern is soon doing this soon soop.

Urmstongran Tue 08-Dec-20 12:17:54

Love the little troll with your tartan reindeer Taichi and it’s great you support your local Danish independent.

Going forward I think many of us will start shopping more locally and supporting our own communities. Farm shops (luck you who have them nearby!), butchers, craft shops, independent book shops. The big boys in town can take a hit for their shareholders as far as I’m concerned! Yes I’ll still go to Sainsburys but buy less and top up buying from small concerns who desperately need our money.

Ashcombe Tue 08-Dec-20 11:53:57

Grandmabatty:
Hooray! hooray!
Sole from Torbay!
???

Grandmabatty Tue 08-Dec-20 11:19:23

Good morning All. I'm late today as I've been shopping. It's very wet in Polmont and there are bouts of heavy, chilly rain. I nipped to a local town as I wanted to get dd a voucher for her Christmas from the salon she frequents. Of course, I was there before it opened so I wandered about little. I managed to buy torbay sole from a lovely wee fish shop as I missed the fish man in my street. Then picked up the voucher and had a chat with the girls who all know my daughter ?. That's not a surprise as she supplies them with cupcakes too. Back home, a quick trip to aldi to buy food for dgs as I'm having him Wednesday and Thursday this week. Then I walked to the post office to post the last of the cards. I knew I had forgotten someone! And I picked up a radio times to sort out festive viewing. I'm only just sitting down with the first mince pie of the season and a cuppa. Phew. I've skimmed the posts and I'm sorry to see wee Iris is having a tough time. My heart goes out to her. Have a good day all.

Taichinan Tue 08-Dec-20 11:05:00

Good morning Mick and all from a rainy Angus coast today. grandMattie I am so, so sorry about poor little Iris, who must be so terrified by the pain and angry that no one can take it away. Her parents must have the same emotions and her sister, who is only a child too. Some serious medical intervention is called for - she surely hasn't been deposited home without backup? And you must feel so helpless yourself. I'm glad your DD found a chance to call you - it didn't exactly put your mind at rest, but it must have been a relief for your DD to offload a little Thoughts and prayers are all I can offer ?

I woke up very late this morning after losing a couple of hours'sleep in the early hours to this terrible itching. It's back to the pharmacist today, I think.
I spent a lovely couple of hours at the garden centre yesterday and did an amazing interpretation of 'Spend, spend, spend'! I did begin to feel a wee bitty Christmassy at last! I drove home the scenic route and stopped off at a little Danish Christmas shop which is in an old country school in the middle of nowhere. It has been going for at least the past 15 years, but sadly it looks as if this might be the last - I do hope not though. I bought the troll in his knitted robe and tall felt hat to look after my tartan reindeer in a clash of cultures. I have attached a photo of them beneath my tree-that-isn't-a-Christnas tree (it's a white maple - or it's leaves are maple-shaoed anyway). Love your window, Ash - that's so effective.
Anyway I haven't had the chance to read the posts - there are hundreds of you early birds ahead of me! I must nip out to the shops as the larder shelves are no longer groaning and I have completely run out of fresh veg and butcher meat, and then come back for a good read of everyone's derring do.
Have a good day everyone and try to find just one thing to laugh at ????

Urmstongran Tue 08-Dec-20 10:51:40

Good morning everyone from South Manchester. It was raining 2 hours ago but has stopped.

I’ve finally been able to post - my iPad ‘outages’ are getting worse! I can’t wait to be sprung this weekend and plan a bus trip (Yorkshire lass has our car to get to the hospital where she works since hers went kaput) to the dreaded Trafford Centre. It’s local to us - we could even walk there in under an hour if we wished! I only go in-and-out. I’m like most men, I’m not one for a mooch about and dislike shopping really. I go if I need something. Himself of course is delighted ha!

Whilst waiting for my iPad to come out of hibernation I watched the tv news. Seeing 90 year old Irish lady, Maggie, being the first to get the Covid vaccine in Coventry administered by a lovely nursing Sister from the Philippines made me quite emotional. It brings it home how much this global pandemic has affected so many of us - isolation, shielding for many, cancelled milestone celebrations, long+Covid to name just some effects.

I started reading a book on my Kindle yesterday. It’s an Agatha Christie ‘Poirot’. I’ve seen films of course but realised I’ve never actually read one of her books. Delightful! ‘The Murder of Roger Hargreaves’ which was written in 1926. Love the prose - talking to a butler - ‘Look here, Parker ...’.
?

This has ended up a super long post, sorry. It must be the anticipation of being allowed to join in (finally).

I can’t go without saying how much I hope Iris makes good progress grandMattie it must be such an anxious time for you all. I ❤️ that knowledgeable and kind grans on here support one another so much and have suggested practical avenues that could be tried. Good luck there. x

Pittcity you sound a bit low today. Aren’t you moving house in a few weeks? I dare say you’re in limbo and that is a difficult time even when things go relatively smoothly. Try to embrace the ‘not much happening’ on your calendar and make the most of some R&R while you can?

Glad to hear the acupuncture worked some magic for you Nannytopsy pain must be draining.

Right - I’ll shut up and let some lovely other get a word in edgeways! Hope Tuesday is good to us all. You’re always in my thoughts gillybob when I post each morning. I like to think you still read Mick’s thread. Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

Oh, PS ... our Covid warrior enjoyed her half day teaching yesterday - she said it made her quite emotional to be back.

Shutting up now.

CherryCezzy Tue 08-Dec-20 10:39:34

Good morning everyone. It's a beautiful clear winter's day in the Gower.

I haven't long got back from the optician's, collecting my new glasses. It's the first time I've had varifocal lenses so it is a bit strange ?. My WP is due to have his stitches out tomorrow and my neurologist wanted me to have a telephone consultation at more or less the same time ?, the receptionist (they breed then that way I'm sure) was not impressed that I refused. I explained that I can't be in two places at once, I can't be alone that long (he had to travel several miles to have them removed) but she was adamant that the significance of my appointment outweighed frivolous concerns hmm. I insisted it wasn't and stood my ground! I have to ring back after 5m today.

So difficult for Iris grandMattie, you're right it's her way of exercising control at the moment. I think Grandmafrench has some good ideas, one or two of which could be adopted. ? for Iris

Love the pin map Pantglas and apparently I suit red so I'm happy with that ?

Please listen Mick and tell the nurse what has been happening as she might arrange for the GP to ring. You need to speak to your doctor!

I'm pleased that you have chosen to go to your DD's for Christmas Grammaretto. You are still in my thoughts.

Take care everyone and be kind to yourselves ❤️

Blossoming Tue 08-Dec-20 10:30:58

Good morning all from rainy Lancashire. Our local hospital has started vaccinations today, fingers crossed it’s the start of something positive.

LauraNorder Tue 08-Dec-20 10:21:58

Good morning Mick, please follow the good advice, borne of concern, speak to the doctor and rest a little.
Good morning everyone else.
grandMattie, poor Iris, what a tough time for such a little girl. How old is her sister? Must be hard for her too with all the attention having to go to Iris.
Your window decoration is lovely Ashcombe.
GrandmaFrench your husband’s way of telling you off about the heating made me laugh out loud. Great sense of humour.
Well, hurrah, a good day for all with the first of the vaccinations taking place. Light at the end of a long tunnel.
Forgot to say, dry and chilly in Anglesey, no rain yet, no renderers again but the joiner is out there fitting gutters on the finished sides. We’re getting there.
Must write and post Christmas cards today and will enclose invitations for a big summer party in July for 51st wedding anniversary seeing as the golden one was covidised.
Hoping you all have a better day than yesterday.

Georgesgran Tue 08-Dec-20 10:12:38

Good morning from Durham. Grey and overcast but sort of dry (for now). Going to hand deliver a few cards, then collect a parcel from Argos and nip into V****n Money as DH needs funds to pay his fishing syndicate fees.
Must, really must get the rest of my cards written and posted, then onto A****n to order a list of gifts.
Sorry to hear Iris isn’t doing so well - DD2 spent 9 weeks in hospital at this time of year when she had a stroke - it took some time to get her out of ‘ward’ mode and back to school in her wheelchair.

Onwards and upwards - I’m not dressed yet! ?. X

Beauregard Tue 08-Dec-20 09:58:10

Good morning all. It's dry and bright here in Derbyshire.

Sorry to hear little Iris and her family are finding things so difficult grandMattie

I like the idea of a map with pins in for all our locations Pantglas
During tv weather forecasts I find myself looking beyond just the centre of England on the map, to see how the weather is doing for all my GN friends in their areas where they live.

Have a good day everyone.

Grammaretto Tue 08-Dec-20 09:43:22

Good Morning from the Scottish Borders where it took a long time to get vaguely light and is raining.
I have a list of things I could or should do today but I am listening to all the advice flowing in . ie "Look after yourself" I have decided that means I do yoga on zoom and have a walk later. Other things can wait.
So sorry Iris is struggling. grandMatte She will have been so excited to get home only to find the pain is still there and now she has a worried, tired and troubled family for company.
Maybe she's constipated? Drugs can have that effect. I hope someone outside the immediate family can see her and help. It is still very early days. In the old days, after weeks in hospital there were convalescent homes - by the sea - for recuperation. At least my DM was out of action for a long time after a spinal operation.

I have chosen to go to my DD for Christmas whether she wants me or not! so won't bother with tree and decorations here. I can enjoy your photos. Keep them coming.

GrannySomerset Tue 08-Dec-20 09:23:39

So sorry to hear that Iris is struggling and feel for the rest of the family who will be shattered. Surely there is some community nursing support for a child in such circumstances? Worth asking the GP practice, I would think. Someone outside the family will probably have more influence and not be seen as somehow responsible for Iris’s present pain.

Cold bright morning here. Wonderful cleaner has arrived and we have discussed doing the tree next week - I will need her help to get everything out of the garage and into the house. For myself I don’t think I would bother, but DH would be horrified, so we will act as if Christmas will be normal.

Wishing all GM posters a good day.

Alygran Tue 08-Dec-20 09:22:03

Good morning from North Yorkshire. It’s dry and clear.
Went walking with a friend on the edge of the moors yesterday. It was very foggy at first but cleared. Good to get into the fresh air.
Sorry to hear about Iris. I hope she and the family have a better day today.
A quieter day for me, a couple of gifts to pick up and some fresh veg. Otherwise book and knitting.
Stay safe everyone. Have a good day.

Gelisajams Tue 08-Dec-20 09:19:44

Good morning from Morecambe Bay where it is now raining. It was frosty at half two. I know this because I was awakened by a couple of bangs so I jumped up to investigate. It was just the milkman! I am not usually disturbed by him as he has an electric van but I think he must have dropped something.
I will investigate shortly in case there is a bits of glass to clean up. He has done this before, he picks up the’heavy’ but leaves shards of glass and a puddle of milk.
DH shouted he was off on his run, but then returned as the rain was too heavy. He doesn’t mind if rains while he’s en route but he won’t set off in the rain.
Must get the cards written and posted. Also to think of something for DS3’s birthday. I still haven’t had a reply from PayPal about my double payment.
Poor little Iris it must be awful for both her and her parents. I do hope they can sort something out.
Take care and stay safe everyone ?

EllanVannin Tue 08-Dec-20 09:16:32

Good Morning All x.
Still dark but I heard rain before so it's a damp day and less cold than it was yesterday.

It is a very challenging time for Iris's parents, though not unusual for a child to refuse food especially under these circumstances. Patience and encouragement is needed as all children are different and Iris too is probably feeling stressful with the situation. We all know that she'll have to eat at some point to give her strength but you can't force the issue because the more you do the more she'll refuse.

I'd start by saying " I'm going to have chicken nuggets for my lunch " then wait for a reaction, instead of offering the child any. Squeeze an orange and put the juice in the fridge.
For the toilet issue, I'd be looking at short term use of Pampers to save more stress from Iris in case of an accident----which won't matter if she's protected, if it's this which is holding her back from eating/drinking.

More deliveries today I suspect and get the cards finished and out of the way then I can heave a sigh of relief. I'm glad it's only once a year ! I've got two Birthdays coming up as well and it's certainly been so frustrating not to be out doing the picking and choosing of cards and gifts. Ah well.

I hope everyone's well. Take care and stay safe, don't bother going out if you don't have to, it's rather wet out there. xx
Thoughts to Gilly.x

Anniebach Tue 08-Dec-20 08:58:15

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Grandmafrench Tue 08-Dec-20 08:55:59

Good Morning everyone. Overcast but warmer today here in S of France. DH brought me some tea and remarked that the dogs and cats were all wearing swim shorts and lolling around sipping pina coladas when he got up this morning. His way of pointing out that I forgot to turn the heating down when I went to bed. The heating system is separate for the bedrooms, so I wouldn’t have noticed! Bad Mummy!

Lovely window, Ashcombe. It takes time to decorate like that but it’s so worth it. We have a lovely rope of outdoor lights which we normally string across our gates. “Joyeux Fêtes” - I feel it could sound a bit sarcastic this rotten year, so the jury’s out on that one at the mo’.

Anyone like me given some serious thought to a big celebration in the summer if things are truly better by then? I suggested it over lunch to my normally sociable DH and for a moment he looked quite ? shocked. Then he rallied and said, I suppose we could get 100 just around the courtyard. My turn to look shocked ? ?. These are the happy thoughts that keep me going.

Sad to hear of Iris’ distress GMattie. It must be such a shocking amount of adjustment for her - and she’s possibly quite anxious about all the changes. Naturally Mum and Dad must be struggling. What about more distraction? After all, she’s only 8. Does she listen to you - might you manage to be a better influence than her 24hr parents at this time? I was thinking that if you could talk to her - FaceTime? - make her laugh, get her input on some new clothes, colours etc., just to get her in a better frame of mind, and bring in maybe a grown up chat. Telling her how proud everyone is of her dealing with this, so much so that she was ‘allowed’ to leave hospital so early, she might grasp that any progress now - eating, moving, drugs, etc., must prove to her doctors that she is doing well. Otherwise they would want her to be in hospital. Of course, scaring her with talk of being back in hospital is the worst idea, but what small child would want to risk missing the family Christmas, when all they need to do is co-operate a little? A little praise and encouragement would go a long way with any child at this time of year, if the alternative might be continuing care in hospital. Use some Grandma’s wily ways - it might work. If I were her parents, you’d get every brownie point possible for working some magic if you could change her mood and help keep her buoyant.

Hairdresser today - after 9 weeks! I am expecting, no demanding, a Christmas miracle. Lots of laundry needing attention and it’s time for doggy shampooing.

Have yourselves a good day, you all deserve it. Stay safe and find that smile.

And Mick we now just want to hear that you’ve spoken to your DOCTOR. No more delays, or excuses PLEASE !

Hugs from French France ???

GrannyGravy13 Tue 08-Dec-20 08:55:09

Good morning Mick and all

I can confirm your weather forecast Gingster I need to motivate myself this morning, The hand washing has accumulated and is calling me (I detest this job)

GrandMattie poor Iris, do you think
she is worried and frightened for the months ahead? Maybe she has not come to terms with the enormity of her operations and the journey ahead (apologies for the journey word)

Beautiful window Ashcombe

Keep safe and well folks ??

Nortsat Tue 08-Dec-20 08:48:24

Bellasnana beautiful tree, with lovely colour coordination.

I love Laz, who is obviously taking Christmas Fairy Duty very seriously. What a super boy.

Pantglas2 Tue 08-Dec-20 08:48:13

Morning all from a wet north Wales where more of the dratted stuff is promised ?

BlueSapphire, I’m another who sorted her Christmas cards yesterday (I don’t start xmassing until after my birfdae ?) but is it just me who noticed I’m sending a lot less this year or has it just caught up with me?

Welcome back Ginny42 from Cheshire- I have a map in my head with coloured pins of where folks are and you’re the first white pin ???????over the border! Us Welsh ???????are in red (LauraNorder, Cherry, Lins, Chewbacca, Anniebach etc), the ???????are all dark blue (you know who you are!). Do we have any Irish with us? It gets a bit complicated when I think about our faraway friends......?

That window is really inspiring Ashcombe and all your trees have been beautiful folks - I checked my baubles etc yesterday and need some different colours this year to coordinate with my new settee covers, so a trot to The Range in Bangor is on for this afternoon.....DH will pull a face until I promise ☕️ and ?!

Stay safe everyone x

Nortsat Tue 08-Dec-20 08:44:20

Good morning Mick and the GM team from east London, where it is bright and possibly not as cold as yesterday.

Well, my friend was having a garden based birthday party, with a fire pit and an outside loo for guests to use ... but Hancocks letter has put a stop to that. Mixing with a number of people is just multiplying her risk. We are going to Zoom at the appropriate time, instead. I am going to wear my sequinned wrap for the Zoom call and raise a glass to her birthday.

Our opportunities to meet family and friends over the festive period are diminishing rapidly. I know that as we have been shielding so carefully, it would be ridiculous to take risks now ... but it’s disappointing.

Sorry to hear Iris and her family are having a hard time Mattie. It’s a huge adjustment for her to deal with and I agree she is asserting the only control she feels she has. I am sure things will gradually improve. ??

Wishing everyone a pleasant day. ? (Good morning gilly).