Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Tuesday

(59 Posts)
12Michael Tue 08-Dec-20 06:09:47

Good Morning Everyone,
Its another cold and frosty plus foggy start to the day here in Brackley .
Hoping my day goes to plan , done the urine sample, have switched form having coffee to herbal tea , more refreshing .
Plan to visit Bicester as well.
Take Care ,
Mick

Dwmxwg Tue 08-Dec-20 06:23:28

Good morning Mick and all to come. Hope your day goes to plan and your health behaves today.
Had a lovely garden chat with my friends yesterday, we did have a small heater but my feet were numb when I got home. My Raynaud problem seems to have got much worse this winter, need to find some good thermal boots.
I am off to the gym soon, like to go early before it gets too busy although they do obviously limit numbers. Then I have parcel collection from local M&S. Home for breakfast and then Christmas shopping in Windsor. I have done most of my shopping online but hoping to pick up the last few presents today.
DGSs coming this evening for their usual 2 night stay.
Loved seeing all the Christmas pictures here yesterday

Beechnut Tue 08-Dec-20 06:28:25

Good Morning everyone from Severnside. Another dark and damp day. Yesterday I watched as the fog descended on us.

Just a regular Tuesday for me with maybe a fish meal. There’s loads of parsley in the garden and I haven’t had parsley sauce in an age.

Take care all ?

grandMattie Tue 08-Dec-20 06:40:20

Good morning from a dark, dreary E. Kent.
I have news of Iris, but it will take me a long time to type itm, so I shall add it in a moment.

Mick the herbal tea sounds a good idea. Make sure you talk to someone about your dizzy spells today.

Look after yourselves, be kind to yourselves, have a good day.

cornergran Tue 08-Dec-20 06:45:28

Morning Mick, morning All from a dark, murky corner of Somerset. Feels cold too. Other than a need to switch the washing machine on and finish this weeks grocery order nothing I must do today. Still very uncomfortable so a gentle day will be good. Are you really OK, Mick? You’ve had some worrying symptoms. Take care everyone, hope there’s something to lift spirits in your day.

Ashcombe Tue 08-Dec-20 06:49:14

Good morning, one and all, from a very chilly (one degree!) Torbay!
Giving up coffee for herbal tea sounds like a very good idea, Mick. I hope today’s appointment goes well and you have the chance to discuss your recent symptoms.
Cold feet (in every sense!) are unpleasant so thermal boots sound like an excellent idea, Dwmxwg!

I’ve just about finished decorating the flat, including the windows at the front. Here is one of them, taken on Sunday morning in bright sunshine - the tree is a reflection of one in the park opposite my home!

Wishing everyone the best of days and I hope those with cares and worries find something about which to smile today.

grandMattie Tue 08-Dec-20 06:50:43

News of Iris

I texted DD yesterday and I didn’t expect a reply. To my surprise, she telephoned a bit later and we had a long chat.

Iris is doing extremely well, physically, but finding it hard mentally. She is too frightened [of pain?] to move her leg herself, the cage is very heavy too. Every readjustment of her body requires someone to help her, 24/7, you can imagine how wearing that can be? The exhausted parents take turns for the night, but DD has given up working for the moment.

Iris was never that interested in food but is now refusing to eat or drink much because it means using the commode, which means moving… she has been given a sort of little walking frame but again she won’t use it.

Her only means of control, IMO, is to refuse to do things – eat, drink, speak to anyone over the phone/skype, she is even refusing to take any of her drugs and needs serious bribing.

Added to all this, SiL and DGD1 are not coping well. He is sharing all the chores etc., but is taking it out on DGD1 when she is having tantrums, which are every time Iris needs both parents. It doesn’t seem to be a happy household at the moment. My heart bleeds for them all.

On a happier note, the knickers are fine, and the pair of very wide-legged trousers I made from some hideous fabric I already had, are a great success. I have been asked to make more out of warmer stuff. I have ordered some gaberdine and some denim which are due today.

kittylester Tue 08-Dec-20 06:58:35

Good morning all from a very, very cold North Leicestershire.

Dh is going out at 8 am so I am staying in bed until he has gone out!

More Christmas stuff for me.

Mick please talk to someone at your surgery about your strange symptoms.

Have the best day you can everyone.

Scentia Tue 08-Dec-20 06:58:39

Good Morning all from East Staffordshire where it is still dark and feels cold.
Grandmattie. How upsetting that your DgD feels so low, how old is she was it 8? If so, maybe a letter from Santa saying to get up and about to help her feel better!! Hopefully when she has some warmer clothes a trip out in the fresh air will help too.
I have a day off today instead of tomorrow as I am watching DGS whilst the floor man is in their house, he would only try to ‘help’ if he was there!!
Keep smiling my GM friends and take care of yourselves.xx

Ashcombe Tue 08-Dec-20 07:01:38

My heart goes out to you, grandMattie and your family at this time. Is there any possibility of support of some kind for them? I would have thought home visits by a physiotherapist at the very least are indicated. It’s a big burden for the whole family at a time when others can’t visit to help. So sorry and keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers. ?

cornergran Tue 08-Dec-20 07:10:01

Oh goodness grandMattie, what a difficult situation. My heart goes out to you all. I also was wondering about post operative support for Iris and her parents, has anything been arranged? Reluctance to eat and drink is understandable, if nothing else pain can take appetite away. The poor parents sound exhausted already. I hope there can be some rest for everyone soon.

grandMattie Tue 08-Dec-20 07:19:56

Physiotherapy at the hospital only, once a week - when the incisions heal up, she will have hydrotherapy. I asked if whe wouldn't sink like a stone, DD replied that the water wasn't deep enough. :-)
Her parents are very good at all those Santa things. It is just that Iris is being very stubborn. Exactly her mother at that age. And yes, she turned 8 in October.
DD has aksed for a fitbit from us for Xmas to encourage moving around - I remarked that she might take up crochet, which I'm told ups your steps very quickly!

Jaxjacky Tue 08-Dec-20 07:26:59

Good morning from a very cold, -2, S Hants, DH will be scraping the car in a minute before work. Sorry to hear Iris and hence the whole family, are struggling gm, I’m at a loss to suggest anything.
My walk yesterday was short and brisk, today’s will be the same. Dwm I use hot hands foot warmers, bit of an oxymoron, they’re one use only, but last for a few hours, I have raynauds too.
Have a pleasant day all.

harrigran Tue 08-Dec-20 07:29:37

Good morning from a dark but dry NE.
Hairdresser coming this morning, she didn't text me yesterday so I am assuming we are good to go.
Deliveries still arriving in dribs and drabs, was very annoyed to find that chocolates from A*** were three times the price of the same ones in Morrisons so went online and cancelled the last order still pending.
Sorry to hear Iris is struggling with food and drugs, it is very difficult to convince children that the drugs are there to help them.

Marydoll Tue 08-Dec-20 07:31:15

Good Morning all from a damp Glasgow, where its 5 °.
Mick, I hope you get a chance to talk about your dizzy spells today.

Mick, I'm going to be blunt and may sound a bit harsh but
why despite feeling unwell on a few occasions recently, you are going out and about on public transport away from home. What if you take ill again and you are two buses away from home? You need to be sensible here.

Grand mattie how difficult and worrying everything must be for wee Iris and her family. She will be experiencing all sorts of emotions and refusing food and drink is the only way she can exert control over her life.
Is there anyone involved in Iris' treatment, who who offer advice or have a chat with her?
I'm speaking with my teacher hat on here and going on past experience.
Intervention is needed sooner than later, even if it just means mum and dad offloading their worries on someone who is not emotionally involved.
My heart goes out to you all. ?

Lovely photo Ashcombe. Tomorrow, I plan to post a photo of our other tree, the tacky one in our conservatory.
I need to dash, I'm going to watch a live stream, candlelit Mass from our Church. Its in total darkness, lit only by the candles on the altar.

Have a pleasant day everyone, whatever you are doing?. Sorry if I sound like a nippy sweetie today!

Sar53 Tue 08-Dec-20 07:36:01

Good morning everyone from a very foggy Essex by the sea. It took a long time to clear yesterday and it looks like more of the same today.
I have a contact lens check at the opticians this morning, they say to allow an hour. DH will come into town and probably go and find somewhere warm and have coffee whilst he waits.
So sorry to hear about your family Grandmattie, hopefully as Iris heals she will feel more like moving around. It can be hard being 8 years old ?.
Have a pleasant Tuesday, stay warm and stay safe xx

Sark Tue 08-Dec-20 07:40:46

Good Morning everyone
But misty, dry and chilly. Quick dip in the hot tub then heading home and back to work at lunchtime.
grandMattie I really feel for you all. As I said in my pm our daughter went through similar and it is so hard for all concerned.
Our daughter did the same thing 're food etc and I think you are right, all of a sudden everything changed and she was reliant on us for everything and took control where she could.
It will improve over time and adjustment to the cage etc but if I can help in anyway please pm me
Mick hope you are feeling better and best wishes to allsmile

Lins1066 Tue 08-Dec-20 07:45:50

Good morning Mick and all. It is just getting light here on the S Welsh coast, it looks cold and dry out. Mr Lins has taken the puppy out, he is six months old already.
I'm sorry that your daughter's family is struggling grandMattie, poor Iris. I hope that some way can be found to give them more practical help.
Nothing much going on here today, which is just fine by me, energy levels are low. The fish van will call at lunchtime, we had lovely plaice last week.
Have a pleasant day everyone, stay safe.

Elizabeth1 Tue 08-Dec-20 07:50:52

Good morning all I’ve no idea what the weathers like here on the east coast of Fife I’ve not yet peeped beyond the curtains. I’m very pleased to say my dh had a visit yesterday from a lovely gp who’s prescribed him aggressive treatment for his coughing so that he can stay at home.the tablets seem to be working all is quiet for the moment on the western front. The midnight attic visitors came out just for a wee while this morning. Help ma boab what am I to do? At least we’re all in harmony once more after a huge face off the other day (whew) sorry to hear of your granddaughters woes grandmattie children are like some husbands sooo stubborn my thoughts are with you hoping for a way forward good luck flowers

Pittcity Tue 08-Dec-20 07:52:56

Good morning from foggy Colchester.
As usual there is nothing on the calendar. Probably a short walk to Lidl. I didn't go yesterday because the freezing fog didn't lift all day.

baubles Tue 08-Dec-20 07:53:00

Good morning Mick, morning all from South Lanarkshire. It’s pitch black outside and not raining or snowing that’s all I can tell you.

Mick you do realise that the kind people on this thread are going to pester you until you speak to your GP about your health issues.

Love yout window Ashcombe.
grandMattie I’m sorry to hear that things are so difficult for Iris and her Mum and Dad, I hope they get some help.

Supermarket delivery coming this morning, including chocolates for Christmas, I’ll have to hide them from myself. It’s my one weakness tchgrin.

I must try to make myself get out for a longish walk today, I’m becoming rather reclusive.

Wishing everyone a good day, look after yourselves.

brook2704 Tue 08-Dec-20 07:57:33

Good morning everyone from a cold Inverness where it’s just getting light and it looks like it’s been raining in the night.
grandMattie I’m so sorry to hear your DD family is struggling so much with the post operative challenges facing Iris and I really hope things gradually start to improve soon.
Yesterday afternoon we had a lovely surprise when DD messaged asking us to pick up DGC from school as their dad had been delayed at work. I love picking them up and it really brightened my day. Didn’t finish my shopping in town though so popping back in today!
Hope everyone with worries and struggles finds something to enjoy today and take care whatever the day brings ?

BlueSapphire Tue 08-Dec-20 08:04:10

Good morning everyone from a clear and dry morning in Northampton. No fog this morning for a change. The cats are having a mad half hour chasing each other around the house.

Managed to write all my Christmas cards yesterday, including little notes to go in a few of them. Did the postage for the Australian ones on line, saves a visit to our busy little post office; just had to print off the labels. I will be posting them all on the way to the hairdressers which is just over the road from the Post box. Just a cut and blow dry this morning. And I will be getting a gift voucher there for DS's partner for Christmas, so she can spend it either on her hair, or at the attached beauty salon.

Nothing else planned for today except update the Sainsbury's order which comes tomorrow. Will be ordering a bit extra as I could not get a delivery slot for next week.

Mick please take care of yourself and get checked out.

Hope things get better for little Iris.

Hope today is kind for us all.

Greyduster Tue 08-Dec-20 08:08:02

Good morning, Michael and all GNs from a bright and very frosty South Yorkshire. My thoughts this morning are with. DD and her menfolk. Their boiler sprang a leak yesterday and they have no heating or hot water. Fortunately they have a log burner in the living room. The plumber cometh today. We have tech woes here which I must try and get sorted out☹️. SiL has tried to be helpful but he is talking in a language I don’t understand at the moment! Have the best day you can folks.

dragonfly46 Tue 08-Dec-20 08:13:23

Good morning from frosty Leicestershire.

Sorry to hear the news about Iris. I do hope things will start to get easier.

Present wrapping today and then the hairdresser. I will go and get some eggs from the local farm also.

I hope every one has a safe day.