Gransnet forums

Chat

Anyone here remember the mass polio vaccination?

(89 Posts)
Franbern Tue 08-Dec-20 08:38:17

As we can celebrate the first day of what will, eventually, become, the mass rollout of the anti Covid Vaccine, it brings to mind the same happening with polio.
As a child (born 1941), I can remember being terrified any time I got a sore throat in case I had diptheria.
However, definitely the most frightening (healthwise) time was as a yoing teenager with polio. Terrifying pictures in newspapers and on tv of those horrific iron lungs. And this was an illness that had most effect on the young and healthy.

I can well remember one summer school holidays, when virtually everything was closed to us. Parks, Swimming pools, Cinemas, etc. I was staying with a school friend, and she lived in a house, so had a garden ( I lived in a council flat wiht no such luxury), but we were not permitted to leave that house and garden to see any other friends.

It was a couple of years later (in mymemory), that my GP told my Mum to send me along to the local (Hackney) Town Hall for a vaccination against this horrible disease.

I can still remember going down there, and there was a long line of people queuing around the front of building, slowly moving forward. I joined that, and as I got towards the front of the building, my particulars were taken, then inside the building, someone told me to rollup my sleeve. Eventually, I was dabbed and then jabbed, and left through a different door.

Do wonder if, once we have more easier to store, vaccines, if somthing similar to this will be repeated later next year.

Of course, back then, cannot remember any discussions about whether or not to have this vaccine. We trusted out Doctors.

boheminan Tue 08-Dec-20 18:12:56

I had every jab there was going. My best friend had polio. Like you 4allweknow, I seem to remember there being a course of 3 painful jabs over a few months for poliohmmand each one got bigger - the last one, well the needle 'was at least 3ft long!!!'.

Grandmama Tue 08-Dec-20 18:15:46

I too remember the iron lungs on Emergency Ward 10. Awful. I think I had the vaccine at school.

Does anyone remember the mobile chest X-ray units? I had to have a chest X-ray before going to teacher training college in the late 1960s.

netflixfan Tue 08-Dec-20 18:31:19

I vividly remember getting my sugar cube vaccine against polio.I was so happy that I wouldn’t die, or be in an iron lung, or get callipers. My daughter hesitated about vacuuming her children, she has lots of anti vax friends. Her children were vaccinated thank goodness.

SueDonim Tue 08-Dec-20 19:49:15

The fact so many here have memories of having polio or knowing someone who’d had it tells a story, doesn’t it? sad I had polio jabs and I recall being taken for a smallpox jab in the 60’s, I think. My Dh is a bit older than me and he recalls that because they started with younger children first, his sister had the polio jab but he didn’t. It didn’t stop him from going to play in the busy river, though, despite the dire warnings given by his parents and school.

Jane43 Tue 08-Dec-20 22:44:30

I don’t remember having the polio vaccine but I vaguely remember there was a scare about polio and parents were taking precautions. There was a paddling pool in the park near our house and I remember my Mum not wanting me to go in it one summer. A friend at primary school wore a leg iron which was a result of polio and so did one of our primary school teachers. I do have a very clear memory of the TB vaccine which was given soon after I started grammar school. I had a terrible reaction to it, puss was coming out of the area for weeks and the whole if my upper arm was extremely painful, I still have the scar.

Forestflame Tue 08-Dec-20 23:28:43

My Mum didn't want me to have the TB vaccine for some reason (we had all the others). However, I insisted on having it and I'm glad I did. My first job was in a hospital and I looked after a lady who unbeknown to us, had TB. It was discovered at her post mortem. It took the authorities months to trace all her contacts. If I hadn't had the jab, I could have caught it and passed it on to many other people..

rosecarmel Wed 09-Dec-20 04:09:56

Also sugar cube in the 60's

vampirequeen Wed 09-Dec-20 07:59:43

I don't remember it because I was a baby but I received the sugar cube version in Hull in 1961. It was still controversial at that point because, unlike the first vaccine, it contained live virus but Hull was in a desperate situation. A massive outbreak was on the cards and parents queued for hours to get their children vaccinated. Mass vaccination worked.

Lizbethann55 Wed 09-Dec-20 23:14:39

Granny23 I was also going to post about Rotary's amazing work in helping to eradicate polio from around the world. It is down to the last two countries now.

JackyB Thu 10-Dec-20 15:19:46

My Dad was an anti-vaxxer - purely out of ignorance I think. So we weren't vaccinated for anything. We did have the polio vaccine, though, because, I think, it was compulsory. I remember queuing at the village hall and getting the lump of sugar. That must have been about 1962/63.

Then in the 3rd year (so about 1967) all girls had to have a "Heaf test". We waited outside the Senior Mistress's office and when we went in we were jabbed with this little circle of blunt pins on the inside of our forearm. If that came up red we were immune against TB, but nearly all of us had no reaction and had to queue outside the Senior Mistress's office again 10 days later for a TB jab.

In 1974 there was a case of smallpox in the UK and my mother smuggled me into the queue with the kids going on an exchange trip to France, as I was due to go to Germany and everyone who left the country had to have the jab. It wasn't the one that left a mark on your arm, though.

I think I'm too young to remember the mass injections against polio though.

annifrance Fri 11-Dec-20 10:36:02

I don't think I had the German measles vaccine and had it mildly when I was 12. I sailed through two pregnancies happy in the knowledge that I would be immune according to received wisdom. My daughter then caught it aged 3 and I caught it from her! The doctor decided I was one of the few that didn't become immune. It horrified me at the thought of what could have happened to either of my DCs.

nannan Fri 11-Dec-20 11:11:22

I remember the polio vaccination.also when all the swimming pools were closed. I was at school with a very pretty girl who had a withered leg due to polio.Tne worst vaccination I had was small pox,it was really painful.
That said I am a firm advocate ofvaccinations

JackyB Fri 11-Dec-20 14:42:39

annifrance

I don't think I had the German measles vaccine and had it mildly when I was 12. I sailed through two pregnancies happy in the knowledge that I would be immune according to received wisdom. My daughter then caught it aged 3 and I caught it from her! The doctor decided I was one of the few that didn't become immune. It horrified me at the thought of what could have happened to either of my DCs.

I had German measles as a child and then again when I was au pairing aged 19. There are 2 kinds. So I was definitely immune. My youngest DS came out in a rash when he was about 3 months and the paediatrician was amazed to find it was German measles. I don't understand that to this day!