Gransnet forums

Chat

Does everyone have a cleaner except me?

(209 Posts)
Luckylegs Mon 14-Dec-20 14:37:43

My daughter is trying to get me to have a cleaner as she says my kitchen and bathrooms aren’t kept clean enough! I’m struggling at the moment as we are doing up and decorating the conservatory and dining room (all the same room) including sanding the wooden floor and painting it plus the hall prior to having new carpet. Consequently, every single room is stuffed to the gills with furniture, boxes, pictures, mirrors etc.

I’d love a cleaner (never ever had one) but I’m here most days and would be embarrassed to have someone cleaning whilst I’m doing something else or sitting on my iPad! It’s impossible just now as we’re in such a mess, we’re in tier 3 so presumably can’t have anyone in and I’d probably wait until after Christmas but I just wondered if most people have a cleaner?

PS I’m dealing with my daughter.

kittylester Thu 17-Dec-20 20:35:20

I don't actually need one MOnica but I love having one.

M0nica Thu 17-Dec-20 20:05:32

Call them what ou will. I have never had one - which does not preclude me needing one at a later date.

Fennel Thu 17-Dec-20 17:14:27

I think 'home help' is a better name.
We had a major fallout today about our very good helper.
Somehow I can't get used to another woman in our house.
Nice as she is, and helpful as she is.
Maybe I need therapy, or blame it on the virus. Or old age.

Rosina Thu 17-Dec-20 11:44:18

If your housekeeping standards suit you - in the normal run of life, and not particularly now when you are in chaos - then it is not your DD's business. Perhaps when the work is done you could get a cleaning company in for a one off clean. I had a cleaner at one point - it was a disaster. My house got dirtier and dirtier because I was working full time, and where I had rushed about and done my best, I didn't do anything while we had dear Millie. I truly believe she had never dusted in the whole time we employed her , and must have switched the vacuum cleaner on upstairs and then relaxed on our bed with the newspaper.

Sparkling Wed 16-Dec-20 14:45:48

I wouldn’t want one, I would be cleaning the house and hiding things before she got here.

kittylester Wed 16-Dec-20 14:40:23

I would like to call ours 'help' hollysteers but that would be exaggerating my part in all of it. grin

hollysteers Tue 15-Dec-20 22:14:14

Yes I have some help in the house. I like the word ‘help’ for that is all it is and I don’t expect miracles. I joke I’m allergic to housework and envy those who really enjoy cleaning.
I do my big shop while she cleans and it makes me tidy up before she comes which is a good thing.

Shropshirelass Tue 15-Dec-20 21:40:14

No, I don’t but my husband gets stuck in and helps. I know I am lucky.

Copes283 Tue 15-Dec-20 21:34:47

Had one once, like several others, caught myself cleaning before she got there! If I get upset about something, I clean like a demon! I find it therapeutic ... is there something wrong with me!?

ChrisK Tue 15-Dec-20 21:04:52

We have a cleaner, and this one is a godsend and a proper "little treasure", it has been 3rd time lucky for us, 1st useless, 2nd not much better and then left anyway to have a baby. I have severe arthritis and housework is very difficult for me, my cleaner whizzes through it in no time once a fortnight, I am so grateful for her hard work

Jayt Tue 15-Dec-20 20:49:31

I’ve never had a cleaner and if one of my daughters suggested I wasn’t keeping things clean enough I’d tell her to clean it for me. What a cheeky madam.

moggie57 Tue 15-Dec-20 20:24:12

What dies your daughter expect you are decorating? Ask her if she is offering? Haha.tell its your home and you can do as you like

annodomini Tue 15-Dec-20 20:17:16

I had a cleaner from an agency until lockdown started in March and I haven't had one since. It's only a small house and there's no really good reason why I shouldn't clean it myself - except my own idleness and ineptitude in domestic matters!

Amandajs66 Tue 15-Dec-20 19:32:27

I have a cleaning business which I’ve had for over 25 years. Some of clients were working when I started to clean for them and now some of them have retired but I still clean every week for them. I think clients get very used to me cleaning every week and really don’t want to go back to doing it if they are happy with me doing it.
Not everyone likes cleaning and clients love the fact that I do the skirting boards, door frames etc on a weekly basis.
However I probably won’t like a cleaner to do my housework. Lol.

Caro57 Tue 15-Dec-20 19:21:15

I have cleaners come every fortnight. I have to live in a house with hair shedding dogs so this is, to me, a necessity I will hang onto for as long as I can

Musicgirl Tue 15-Dec-20 19:16:41

I have had a cleaner for years. My oldest child is disabled and it made such a difference to our lives. I work long, irregular hours and pre-Covid my pupils all came to my house and will again when l have been vaccinated (l teach online at present). She enjoys cleaning and l appreciate the fruits of her labour. It means that l just have to do the daily chores. She is worth her weight in gold.

Alioop Tue 15-Dec-20 19:14:50

I'd have to clean before the cleaner came so no point. I used to clean for a man years ago and he gave me more and more jobs to do as time went by. It got it was impossible to get everything done in the hour he paid me for. When his daughter used to come and stay she treated me like her maid. It was hard work at times and for little money so I had to leave.

annd16 Tue 15-Dec-20 18:29:42

You are allowed a cleaner to come into your house. I have one......it’s great

annd16 Tue 15-Dec-20 18:25:19

I have a cleaner comes every fortnight It’s wonderful and a great help.She starts with the sitting room,then I sit in there with a coffee .Highly recommend it

sparkynan Tue 15-Dec-20 17:20:43

As your in the middle of DIY, I seriously wouldn't bother, quick wipe over and a run round with the vacuum now and again. When you've finished the DIY and got your new carpet down, then have a blitz.

I resent my daughters telling me off.. and they do try. I just remind them, its my home, it didn't do them any harm when they were living with me, and how would they like it if I went to their homes and critised their house keeping...

Susieq62 Tue 15-Dec-20 17:00:56

When I was working full time I had a cleaner, my mum! It gave her extra funds and I knew the job was being done properly plus I could trust her implicitly. When I gave up she retired!
Now I do it all but other half hoovers as we are on 3 floors. Why don’t you get somebody in to give your home a good deep clean when your projects are completed? Then you can decide if you want/ need a cleaner at all.

CrazyGrandma2 Tue 15-Dec-20 16:54:56

No I have never had a cleaner and neither would I whilst I am capable of doing it. Maybe if your daughter is so concerned, she might like to help you!

Once a year I get someone in to deep clean the kitchen, two bathrooms and the carpets.

Fennel Tue 15-Dec-20 16:46:38

The reason suggested a different name was because the name 'cleaner' reminds me of something like a bottle of Domestos.

Greciangirl Tue 15-Dec-20 16:01:33

NO, No and No.

I think your daughter needs a good talking to.

You don’t sound as if you need a cleaner . Maybe just a bit more organisation.

Candelle Tue 15-Dec-20 15:59:14

I broke my leg and other foot and was unable to be weight-bearing - I didn't venture into the kitchen for over six weeks, my husband being the domestic goddess.

A few weeks into this period our daughters came over for afternoon tea which I thought would be simple for my husband to arrange.

To my horror, my girls came in to me and bitterly complained about the sticky kitchen cupboard handles! I was so surprised that I could barely respond. The poor man had had enough to contend with apart from cleaning door handles (but yes, when I could get to them, they were sticky!).

So, I repeat... when is the exact moment that our children become our parents? I hear this situation over and over again but the exact moment this happens seems a mystery!