Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday

(57 Posts)
12Michael Sat 19-Dec-20 06:13:06

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark, and wet here in Brackley this morning .
Yesterday, I went and got some Fish & Chips and the owner added a little treat two pancake rolls .
Today , will venture to Bicester on the bus , I would have gone via Buckingham and hopefully seen someone I know , but we cannot cross tiers ,as the doors into Oxfordshire are open , Bicester is where I will go a bit later.
Take Care ,
Mick

Nortsat Sat 19-Dec-20 08:16:52

Good morning Mick and the GM team from east London where daylight is creeping across the sky.

GrannyGravy so sorry to hear your sad news.
Mawb your walk/delicious picnic/present giving sounds lovely.
EV, Ruby-Lou is bound to be unsettled by visits home and then returning to Durham. The staff will expect that. I hope she has a lovely Christmas ?

I had a lousy day yesterday but feel much better today. We have our on line grocery order to sort. I haven’t managed a walk since Tuesday so plan to walk to the park today.

Hoping Maryd and Cherry both had a good night’s rest. Hoping those worried about poorly husbands have a better day today. Thinking of gillybob. Have a good day, all. ?

Urmstongran Sat 19-Dec-20 08:26:21

Good morning everyone from South Manchester (my promo still suggests Malaga!) where it’s dark, dry and as you say Ginny42 very mild.

Himself is up and dressed and has just gone down in the lift to the square - Aldi & Sainsburys is there and he’s off to get a fresh turkey crown & piece of beef if the use by dates are past 25th. This is because we’re kept in Tier 3 so no dining out on ‘the day’ for our bubbles. Actually a lot of people are saying they’re glad. Anything that suppresses the numbers of Covid during winter has to be welcomed.

I feel so much better. No earache/jaw/neck discomfort yesterday and I’m hoping for the same today. No gum or painful teeth. Enough about me but thank you so much for being kind and caring when I felt so low.

I’m off at 10am to mind our granddaughter. Can’t wait - she’s such a poppet. Her daddy is taking her brother to football (glad it’s dry for them!) and mummy is off to Hale in Cheshire for an appointment to have her eyebrows microbladed. Whatever that is. It’s a treat for her 40th birthday next week as there won’t be any party or meal out after all. OMG just looked it up. It costs £200 and is a ‘gentle tattoo’ (an oxymoron of ever I heard one right there) of the eyebrows for a semi permanent natural shape. I’d rather stick with my eyebrow gel ...
?

Sorry to hear of all of us with sadness and ailments. GG13 what an awful shock. Such a tragedy and that poor family will be arranging a funeral this Christmas time. My thoughts are with you all over at Gravy Towers this weekend. And farview I hope you have a better day.

Himself has just returned from Aldi with a ‘Specially Select’ turkey crown, serves 8, in its own roast tray, cross crossed with bacon. £27. Perfick! He picked up 3 x 500ml gravy too. He knows me well ha! I do love we can literally pop downstairs to our ‘larders’.
#lazygran

He said it was busy.

Time for my second cuppa with toast and marmalade. No wonder I married the man Dear Reader.

Hope Saturday is good to us all. Keep safe everyone that’s the main. x

Oldbutstilluseful Sat 19-Dec-20 08:27:55

Good morning from N Hants. Yes, there is weather.

Such awful news GG13, so sad for you and your family.
Urms really hope your pain is easing. It really gets hard to bear when it goes on so long.
Wishing everyone a better day, sometimes it’s just so hard to keep on keeping on. Take care

Gelisajams Sat 19-Dec-20 08:28:26

Good Morning from Morecambe Bay where it is damp and windy.
We thought our trip yesterday in the Santa Campa was quite successful, not too much traffic and a pleasant lunch in a Country Park (in the rain of course) but when we returned home we spotted DS1’s present sat on the coffee table. Oops!
However waiting for us on the doorstep was a large box labelled ‘live plants’. “What have you been been buying now?” enquired DH. “Nothing” I indignantly replied. (He knows me well). It was a basket of hyacinths from our friends in Shetland. We don’t usually exchange Christmas presents, so it was a lovely surprise.
My friend in Somerset will phone any minute, so I’ll go before the phone rings and I lose my post.
Thinking of many with problems and pain at the moment ?
Take care and stay safe everyone ?

Oldbutstilluseful Sat 19-Dec-20 08:30:14

? Urms.

Marydoll Sat 19-Dec-20 08:32:59

Good morning Mick and all the early birds from a wet Glasgow, I was wakened by the noise of the wind and rain bouncing off the conservatory roof. sad
DH says I'm hallucinating, that he has been for the papers and its neither windy nor wet! ?

Baubles, I concur with Maw. If the surgery is closed, phone 111 and they will be able to organise seeing a doctor. The quicker you get the anti viral medicine, the better.
In fact, you don't need to wait until the surgery opens, you could phone now.
I'm pretty au fait with out of hours phone calls! ?

EV I'm so sorry to hear Ruby-Lou is still struggling, such an anxious time for you all.
Farview, the longer this goes on, the more wobbles we are having. We will get there, its just a long and weary journey, I hope today is a better one for you.

For a change, I received some good news. An elderly friend went for a colonoscopy recently, where they found something that looked like a cancerous tumour, so they removed it there and then and apparently put in a one off treatment.
She got a phone call to say that it was indeed cancerous, but they are sure they have removed all the tumour and don't need to see her for six months. She also was in hospital prior to that with Covid, but survived. A very sparky lady.

I got yet another shielding texts yesterday, advising me that if I really have to see my family at Christmas, I should limit it to only one visit from my bubble over the five days. I know its for the best, but like many others it's so hard to take.
Hopefully DD and SIL's precautionary Covid test results will be back today and if they are negative, they will come for Christmas, as they are staying in from now on. DS2 had hoped we would visit his new home within the five day window, but that won't be happening now!
I fear DD is struggling with it all. I know she is terrified of anything happening to me and is finding working from home in a stressful job, in a small flat, with SIL trying to do the same, very difficult. They have put their own lives on hold to keep me safe and that doesn't sit well with me.

She appeared yesterday, on the pretext of helping with the Tesco order, but also had her laptop and asked if she could work in our dining room. I said I was going to charge her for office space, electricity and Wifi!!! She said she would bring her own. ?
By the time she had left, she had left her usual trail of destruction. She has dyslexia and is the most disorganised person I know! Oh, but it was so good to have her here! DH and I were wondering how we will survive if they sell their flat and have to move in, while looking for a new home! ?

As I couldn't sleep, I went onto the Tesco website and secured a slot which will take me up to the middle of January for deliveries. Well I won't be allowed out anytime soon, so that's one less worry! ?

Another gentle day for me, too many for my liking recently. James Martin awaits and I may make some mince pies.
Take care everyone.

Stilllearning Sat 19-Dec-20 08:34:13

Morning from my bit of S Lanarkshire, still dark but it seems quiet. Hope your husband gets to speak to someone medical baubles and gets started on medication if it is shingles.
Very sorry to hear your news GrannyGravy, what a terrible shock.
I've just watched the most amazing 'knitted nativity' displayed on the outside of the church in a village called Pennington' in Cumbria. 50 ladies knitted , separately but together if you know what I mean, all through the last year, inspired I think, by the vicar who has joined up all the pieces. Loads of people have become involved and it's been a real morale booster for the whole village,particularly those who live alone. Quite special.
Yesterday I tried a a small amount of my original cranberry sauce recipe which used whole cranberries and there was no seedy taste, so although it goes against the grain, I'm binning last weeks lot and starting again.
Best wishes for a good day everybody.

Marydoll Sat 19-Dec-20 08:36:26

GG such tragic news. ?
Urms, glad to hear there is some improvement.

Mapleleaf Sat 19-Dec-20 08:46:54

Good morning,

It's rather grey and damp outside today, but at least the rain that was battering the windows in the early hours has stopped and it doesn't feel too cold.

Condolences to you and your family GG - such an awful shock for you all. ?

Today DH plans to fix up the outdoor lights we bought ages ago. I'm hoping it all goes without incident. They are icicle effect ones, the first mains ones we have been able to have as we now have a protected outdoor socket to use and a "dry box" to put the transformer in. Who knew it required so much preparation? Probably lots of folks except me ?.

Glad you are feeling so much better urmstongran. My shoulder feels easier than yesterday, too, though still a bit niggly.

Wishing everyone a safe day.

gma Sat 19-Dec-20 08:50:31

Morning all! Very wet and windy here in Norwich, but oh so mild!! Several jobs to do today, so will not be going out into garden unless weather changes a bit!
Glad to see it’s dry in Bolton farview My DD and SIL had a new greenhouse delivered a couple of days ago from a company in Bolton! They ordered it in July and are so excited to receive it! The icing on the cake was the fact the the delivery driver sounded just like Peter Kay! My dads family all came from Bolton and it’s so lovely to hear the accent again.

Pittcity Sat 19-Dec-20 08:57:14

Good morning from a grey, rainy Colchester. We're still in tier 2 here but it doesn't make much difference as all our family are now in tier 3. I never like to go shopping in the week before Christmas because of the crowds, this year even more so. A quiet weekend again here, something we're getting used to. Looking forward to the Strictly final tonight.

Grandmabatty Sat 19-Dec-20 08:57:30

Good morning All from a damp Polmont. These is a housework day in Batty Towers and I have a tesco delivery due this afternoon so I won't be going anywhere. I only need to wrap ds presents which I'll do later. I fully expect it to be a very quiet day which suits me. I did have quite a good night, only up once, so that counts as a success. Sorry to hear your bad news Grannygravy. Everyone will be hurting and in shock. I'm reflecting on this social media phenomenon and it's definitely a mixed blessing at times. However I am very glad I found this thread and the many lovely people willing to share a little of their lives. It has made a difficult year much better. So thank you and thanks to the posters who have sent me wee direct messages of concern and kindness. You have made a difference. Enough of the show of emotion! Tesco are delivering their finest mince pies, so I shall warm one and have it with a wee Sherry later. Have a good day all.

Jaxjacky Sat 19-Dec-20 08:58:37

Good morning all from a wet, dark S Hants, clouds scudding across the sky, the rain was heavy at 4:45, quick loo trip, then up late for us about 8. GG13 horrendous news, condolences.
Urmstongran ?that’s it gone now. Present wrapping today. I’m a bit cross as I’d ordered Gardeners World subscription for friends and specifically asked for a January start, the first arrived yesterday. I’d written a little poem and wrapped it for their tree too, but never mind, they are delighted. Not strictly watchers here, so will find a film tonight, or football.
Wishing you all a gentle day.

Anniebach Sat 19-Dec-20 08:59:12

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Alygran Sat 19-Dec-20 09:02:47

Good morning from North Yorkshire. More rain yesterday and overnight but it’s dry at the moment.
GG13 so sorry to hear your news. Condolences to you and the family.
Nothing much on today. I’m keeping very much to myself so I can go to DD’s next week.
Hope today is kind to everyone. Stay safe.

Urmstongran Sat 19-Dec-20 09:09:22

I’m not a fan of ‘Strictly’ either Jaxjacky I just thought I was odd as so many of my friends & family love it!

I’ve just read that this year we can ask our ‘Alexas’ to play the Queen’s Speech! Technology eh? I knew I’d find a use for it haha!

Ps enjoy your picnic today Maw - delicious food & family together. What could be nicer on a dry day? I hope you all have a wonderful time. Do you take Hattie or does she snooze at home? And are you passing that gorgeous throw across today? I’m envious of it!

farview Sat 19-Dec-20 09:15:03

That made me smile gma theres a lot of Peter Kay soundalikes here! ?

cornergran Sat 19-Dec-20 09:15:51

Morning Mick, morning All from a cloudy corner of Somerset. The sky has that heavy look that usually speaks of snow, far too mild for that.

No enthusiasm here . Nothing specific wrong, I just feel constantly sad without understanding why. Will give myself a shake and find something to occupy me.

I’m so sorry to hear your news grannyg, what a shock for you all. Pleased you feel better urms, hope your husband gets quick treatment baubles. The picnic sounds just right mawb, hoping for fine weather for you. Special thoughts to all with worries or sadness, take care everyone.

Beauregard Sat 19-Dec-20 09:29:45

Good morning all from Derbyshire where it's dry and sunny.

DH was up and about before me today, a once in a blue moon occurrence. Very rare for me to sleep past 7 am, let alone 8am. It must be because of the hectic day I had yesterday when I never had a minute, rushing around, no breakfast, lunch at 2pm. We delivered Christmas cards locally and DH decided we should have a walk in the nearby woods while we were out. There wasn't time really but I reluctantly agreed, so it put me on the back foot for the rest of the day.

Today a much more relaxing day (I hope!). But we've said that before.....

So sorry to hear your sad news GrannyGravy
Urms glad you are feeling better

Hope Saturday is a good day.

Bellasnana Sat 19-Dec-20 09:38:40

Good morning from a cloudy but warm Malta.

I’m late today. Have brought myself out for a coffee and have sat and read through your posts.

GG’s news is just so awful. Such a tragedy at any time of year but made more so with Christmas a week away, plus the horrible covid restrictions. My heartfelt condolences to you and all your family, GG?

Take care everyone. ☀️

GrannyOwl5 Sat 19-Dec-20 09:47:56

Good morning everyone from a grey and wet north Kent.
Hopefully the rain might wash some of the virus away - if only it was so easy!

Glad you are on the road to recovery Urms and that Iris continues to do well. Dreadful news for you all GG13; what a shock.

A week of anxiety and some annoyance here at Owl Towers. We had arranged to ‘meet up’ with some friends at the sea front and take our own refreshments. Passed a pleasant half hour strolling along and sitting on a couple of benches to have our coffees - all socially distanced. Towards the end of our time together, one of our friends said that she was recovering from a cough and cold that she’d had the previous week. Alarm bells rang and, sure enough, we had a phone call on Wednesday from them to say she had tested positive for the virus, but wasn’t ill. To say I was furious would be an understatement; having spent ten months being super careful, keeping DGC and AC at arms length to be put at risk by such stupidity...... We arranged to have a test and it has come back negative for both of us, thank goodness; but it has been an anxious few days. It was a salutary lesson though and we shall be keeping ourselves to ourselves even more in the coming weeks.

Hope those with worries or illnesses have a better day. Have a good Saturday. Stay safe!

BlueSapphire Sat 19-Dec-20 10:20:19

Hello and good morning everyone from a bright and sunny Northampton. Not at DD's this weekend for a change, so am missing my bacon butties! Will have them tomorrow instead.

Am planning on marzipanning the cakes today, and then ice them tomorrow. No plans other than that, except the Saturday papers and puzzle pages. Will watch more catch up tv, and must see what channel the rugby is on. My team, Northampton Saints, are away in Dublin to Leinster - I think I might be watching from behind the sofa.....

Found large bags for all the Christmas presents, and they are now away from the cats in the cupboard under the stairs. One of the cats decided their toy mouse needed christening overnight, as I came down to find it submerged in their water bowl! It is now drying out on a radiator.

Amazon parcels expected today. I have ordered some battery fairy lights for the little Christmas tree in the front porch. Also, needed another Agatha Christie fix so have ordered three more books! Also downloaded some light Christmas novels onto my Kindle.

I'll now go back and read everyone's posts. Hoping the day is kind to us all.

Auntieflo Sat 19-Dec-20 10:24:13

Good morning Mick, Annie and all, from a ' doesn't know what to do day' in Berks. Rain, watery sun and more showers.

I had a much better night last night, no doubt due to extra tablets, but I feel more human today. Still tender, but getting there ?and an MRI scan is being organised.
DH is getting to know the fridge and freezer better ?

I have iced the cake. Wonders will never cease.

So sorry to hear the awful news for GrannyGravy.

DD and SIL arrived yesterday, for a doorstep exchange of presents. Also two bunches of beautiful tulips.
I would have preferred a hug. Still, maybe soon- ish.

Have a good day one and all.

moggie37 Sat 19-Dec-20 10:39:22

On Thursday I went with my husband to have our vaccinations. Dh had his but refused to give me mine because I had once had a severe allergic reaction and for a year carried an epi pen. Although over 30 years ago since the two nurses had a reaction there have been new regulations which contra indicate anyone with a history of serious allergy should not be given the vaccine. To say I was disappointed is an understatement but cheered by the thought as I am, so my G P tells me, in 1st highest priority group just have to wait until Astra Z is available
Thinking of all those who are ill and all who have problems.

dragonfly46 Sat 19-Dec-20 10:45:18

Good morning from a sunny Leicestershire.

DH and I have just been out for our trot round the block! It was very pleasant.

What terrible news to receive GG, condolences to your whole family.
GrannyOwl I too would be very upset. I am very afraid this new strain of the vaccine is very virulent so I am trying to be extra careful.
We will be 4 for Christmas dinner and my DD and SiL have been self isolating and have had a Covid test just to make sure.

I am a fan of Strictly so shall be watching tonight. My DH loves such programmes as The Bridge which I find dour and depressing so Strictly is more uplifting.

Cheese fondue for a change tonight with salad - nice and easy.