Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday

(56 Posts)
12Michael Sat 19-Dec-20 06:13:06

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark, and wet here in Brackley this morning .
Yesterday, I went and got some Fish & Chips and the owner added a little treat two pancake rolls .
Today , will venture to Bicester on the bus , I would have gone via Buckingham and hopefully seen someone I know , but we cannot cross tiers ,as the doors into Oxfordshire are open , Bicester is where I will go a bit later.
Take Care ,
Mick

Dwmxwg Sat 19-Dec-20 06:20:26

Good morning Mick and all to come from a very wet north Surrey. Not had the best night, probably due to a combination of wine, pizza and chocolate to accompany the present wrapping with DD. Never mind, I did enjoy them and the evening so must take the consequences.
Visit to mum and dad this morning and trip to the chemist to collect a prescription for mum.
Otherwise dog walking and the Strictly final
Have a good day all GMs

grandMattie Sat 19-Dec-20 06:21:55

Good morning from a dark, wet E Kent. Only2 more days to the winter solstice. With any luck, he virus will recede with the increasing daylight.
That was kind of the chippie to give you that little treat, Mick.
Nothing on today - rugby, sewing, etc.
I’m hoping to Skype DD and her girls, get news of Iris. Eggshells!
Make today one of the gentlest, most enjoyable days. Stay safe. X

farview Sat 19-Dec-20 06:31:17

Good morning Mick and everyone...dark but at last dry in Bolton....mega wobble day yesterday...so big girl pants on today!!!
Going to get stuck in to some gardening tidying
Thinking of all of you with aches and pain and troubles ?

Pantglas2 Sat 19-Dec-20 06:31:46

Morning Mick and all who follow from a dry north Wales where I’m up with sparrowfart as I’m trotting to Lidl for 7am to pick up a posh little turkey ? - one that’s had it’s ears stroked and been read a bedtime story for the last six months, as my DD mocked ?

So here at long last is my wee tree......ta dah‼️

Sorry to hear that so many of you have other halves unwell, NannyJan and others - it’s almost worse than having something yourself isn’t it! Hope you get sorted Urmstongran before Christmas and little Iris continues to come on in leaps and bounds.

Not sure where the word bottoming comes from - is it Lancashire? My first Saturday job was in a pub helping out with B&B and the landlady was from Eccles and a cleaning dervish!

Stay safe and enjoy your weekend x

Ashcombe Sat 19-Dec-20 06:32:04

Good morning, Mick and the usual early birds, Dwwmxwg, and grandMattie, plus everyone following,

Fish and chips (cooked here!) for me too last night! My air fryer cooks frozen wedges in 10 mins which is brilliant!

A very wet and windy night has given way to a calmer start to the day, I’m pleased to say. We are gathering at The Little Theatre, Torquay this afternoon for a Covid secure event for Toads members to view videos made by some during lockdown. My rôle is to record who sits where in case of any positive cases following this event. It will be good to see folk although recognising familiar faces wearing masks presents a challenge!

Happy weekend, everyone! Thoughts to those feeling sad or in pain. ???

Scentia Sat 19-Dec-20 06:34:18

Good Morning all from East Staffordshire where it is still dark and feels mild.
I have now finished work for 16 days holiday, ooh what shall I do with all that time?
Today I will mainly be trying to get a shopping click and collect spot for Tuesday or Thursday, it’s proving rather difficult.
Tomorrow I am collecting DGS for our constitutional walk on the trails near his house, only this week I will do a bit of jogging too. I have started running again in my attempt to lose this massive tummy I seem to be developing, I look more pregnant than my DD!!! Well I suppose that is post menopausal normality now!!!
I hope everyone is feeling ok as I haven’t been on for a few days. Grsndmattie I trust little Iris is getting better every day. Marydoll I am hoping you are feeling ok and not having too many issues at the moment and then there is our Urmstongran who was having that terrible ‘face ache’ is it sorted?
Over the 5 day relaxation DH and I will make a short visit for lunch to our DS who we haven’t seen in the flesh for 12 months, we will take DGS and have a short little Christmas Day type thing on Wednesday, we are then going to pop over to DD for breakfast on Christmas Day itself. What is everyone else doing? I am wondering if that is the right thing to do to be honest, but I miss my family and it hurts that I haven’t seen my DS in so long. He only lives 20 miles away, but has such a busy life to fit his mummy in?
Take care everyone and stay safe today❤️

Ginny42 Sat 19-Dec-20 06:36:43

Good morning Mick from an equally dark morning in Cheshire. I can tell it's a lot warmer outside as it's tropical in here, because with storage heaters it can be difficult to gauge when to adjust them. Computer tells me it's 10C out there.

Walks in the woods have been very squelchy these past few mornings, it's rained so heavily and more on the way today, but I'll be out there at 9.00. It sets me up for the day. The bare trees now stand like dark sentinels, but the other morning I noticed tiny catkins on the hazels. I've got several pots of spring bulbs showing in the garden too. Enjoy your day Mick and everyone.

brook2704 Sat 19-Dec-20 06:40:57

Good morning everyone from Inverness where it’s dark and cold but I think a dry day is forecast
For some reason I woke up really early so thought I’d get a head start on the day, not that I’ve got much to do really except getting on with some cleaning and hanging up a few Christmas cards. Yesterday I made carrot and orange soup with loads extra for the freezer. My DD uses one of those soup makers but it’s just the pan and blender for me ...
Hope you get to chat with Iris later grandMattie and the news continues to be good
Hope you have a better day today farview - take care
Another one here looking forward to watching the Strictly final tonight dwmxwg
Hope everyone finds something to enjoy today and take care whatever the day brings ?

baubles Sat 19-Dec-20 06:44:02

Good morning Mick, morning all from dark S Lanarkshire. I’ve no idea what the weather is doing but I suspect that rain may be involved.

For a few days this week DH had felt very tired and also thought he may have pulled a muscle on one side of his chest but yesterday he developed a bumpy rash around side of his torso. It looks like shingles to me. He’s going to ring the surgery this morning although I’ve no idea if they open on Saturdays.

I’ll definitely finish wrapping gifts today but other than that there’s not much happening chez baubles.

Have you all have a good day.

Beechnut Sat 19-Dec-20 06:50:10

Good Morning everyone from Severnside. It’s wet and dark.

Yesterday I felt quite excited when I heard that my neighbour has had his vaccine letter. No date yet though.

DD will be here later. I think she wants to do some Christmas crafting and I’ll fill her in with family news.

Have a good weekend all and stay safe ?

harrigran Sat 19-Dec-20 06:58:29

Good morning from a mild NE.
A delivery arrived yesterday morning, a Christmas wreath with a candle, spiced oranges and cinnamon sticks. A gift for DH's birthday tomorrow from DD in Brussels, there was also a huge basket of fresh fruit.
DH was at the hospital, has his immune system checked every two weeks, his new medication is fierce.
We will not be visiting relatives over Christmas.
Grocery delivery this morning, need to take Gaviscon just before arrival, bending up and down will cause reflux.
Have the best weekend you can.

Greyduster Sat 19-Dec-20 06:58:57

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. Still dark but quite mild in South Yorkshire. I slept like a top last night (probably thanks to a small malt whisky) but this morning I have a scratchy throat, a runny nose and my ear is itching again. Syringing tomorrow, thankfully. No plans today except a face time with GS and his maid and butler this evening. Have a good safe day folks.

MawBe Sat 19-Dec-20 07:08:28

Good morning all from N Bucks where it is still pitch dark so no weather to report on!
I am trying not to get too excited but meeting up with D, SIL and DGS in a local park for a walk/little play fir DGS and a sort of picnic lunch (a flask of celeriac soup, little sausage rolls, smoked salmon sandwiches) and to give them their presents. That’s our Christmas visit as they will have D’s FIL with them over Christmas as her MIL is in a care home with Alzheimer’s.
I treated myself to a ticket for a live streamed performance of the Nutcracker by Birmingham Royal Ballet yesterday evening. It was magical - and of course brought back memories of eldest DGS dancing in it two seasons ago. It’s £15 a ticket if anybody is a ballet fan , you can still watch online anytime up to, I think, Christmas Eve.
Wishing you all a gentle day and for poorly husbands- get well soon. ( Baubles you need Acyclovir for your DH immediately, early anti virals make an enormous difference to recovery from shingles )

Lins1066 Sat 19-Dec-20 07:29:47

Good morning Mick and all from a still dark S Welsh coast, it is dry though. I still have some presents to wrap so will get on with that this weekend. I have an M&S Book and Shop this morning, I'm a bit nervous about going though, DD is taking me. A lovely gift from your daughter harrigran.
Hope your husband feels better soon baubles.
Have a pleasant day whatever your're doing and stay safe.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 19-Dec-20 07:29:49

Good morning Mick and all

We had dreadful news yesterday, a dear family friend and Godparent to one of our AC had a fatal accident overseas. AC are very upset and subdued and DH spent hours on the phone to the sibling of the deceased.

A very quiet day in Gravy Grange,

Keep safe and well folks ???

EllanVannin Sat 19-Dec-20 07:33:39

Good Morning All x.
Haven't a clue what it's doing out but it's still and silent and the cats were dry when they came in from their morning toiletings. It's not cold again, no heating been on of late. Trouble being, is that germs love this " odd " weather .

Not the best of nights again, sleepwise for I was awake at 20 past 5 again. Serves me right for watching a film until 10 to midnight grin as I'd normally be well in the land of nod.
It was a sort of psychedelic film with Marianne Faithful.

D is calling at some point today as it's her Birthday and she's on a split shift at work so it'll be in between her shift, maybe around 11am or thereabouts.
I was on the phone to her yesterday and some of the conversation left me worrying so that didn't help with sleeping either.

The last time Ruby-Lou spent the weekend with family upset her on her return to Durham and staff had a 2 week job settling her afterwards, so the same thing is going to happen after she's spent Christmas " home ". Poor child. She'll be driven to D's next week.

All the children don't seem to be able to accept disappointment and their tendency to " kick-off " is instant. Years ago there'd have been a few slapped legs for that, but you're not allowed to do that now and instead leave the children to show their feelings. ( not in my book ) grin

I still haven't hoovered yet and I can see bits of sparkle here and there----from my jumper. It's been a favourite every Christmas, warm, comfortable and wasn't cheap when first bought. It's a Mint Velvet which I bought from John Lewis a few years ago and it's starting to shed its tinsel, so it'll be in my tea if I'm not careful.

I made a rich fruit cake yesterday, 5 hours in the oven on low, so it'll be sampled when D's here. It smells okay as I'd soaked the fruit in rum the night before. It's heavy too.

Must finish my shopping list for next week, Morrisons I think to get a good blast of the sea air as it's right on the prom and also nearer than Asda. I'm always bothered about the weather turning and can't get out so like to be well stocked up.

Hoping everyone's day goes well and staying safe is as important as ever, more so with these mutations angry as if things aren't bad enough ! Take care everyone. Usual thoughts to those who are finding things hard going xx Gilly

Lins1066 Sat 19-Dec-20 07:36:00

GG what awful news for you and your family, my condolences ?

ginny Sat 19-Dec-20 07:46:29

Good Morning. It is still quite dark out but the wind seems to have died down.

Small food shop locally this morning.

Will make some shortbread and ginger cake later, ready for our family gift swap tomorrow. Hope the weather behaves as we shall obviously be outdoors.

DDs scan went well yesterday, all seems fine and they have some great images of the baby. The hospital will be keeping a careful eye .

Sorry for all those feeling under par. Hope everyone can find a ? today.

EllanVannin Sat 19-Dec-20 07:46:53

How awful for all concerned GG, so sad. flowers

EllanVannin Sat 19-Dec-20 07:48:20

There is some sadness here today with illnesses etc. My thoughts to all.x

brook2704 Sat 19-Dec-20 08:03:13

How terribly sad GG sending condolences to you and your family ?

farview Sat 19-Dec-20 08:12:36

GG..such tragically sad news..?

Sar53 Sat 19-Dec-20 08:13:18

Good morning from a wet and windy Essex by the sea.
GG13 so sorry to hear your news. Take care ? x.
Another day with nothing planned. We may take our trusty flask of coffee and go for a drive somewhere and sit in the car and watch the world go by.
Take care everyone and stay safe xx

Gingster Sat 19-Dec-20 08:14:51

Good morning from Essex and it’s just getting light. Light rain here so muddy fields again. I’ve asked for new wellies for Christmas, as my old faithfuls are leaking. ??.

GG what sad news for you and the family. ??.

Baubles sorry to hear your DH might have Shingles. It’s a horrid thing and you must try to get meds asap.

Poor little Ruby-Lou. It must be very unsettling for her. Let’s hope she has a wonderful Christmas. ?.

I hope you have news of Iris today, Granmattie. Hard for you , at a distance.

Scentia, your Christmas arrangements sound just right for you. We all have to do what we think is best. We will see family in little bubbles. The only thing I worry a bit about is my 18yr old GD home from Uni. I know she’s seen friends this last week and she has asked if she can stay over here on the 23rd til Boxing Day. There’s no way I would say No! She lives with her dad , who works all hours. She visits her mum (my DD) and siblings but there’s no room for her to stay there, although DD always says, ‘we’ll find room’. We will all be together Christmas Day. I’m looking forward to seeing them but I have a little worry-worm in the back of my mind.

Strange times!

Wishing you all a painfree, carefree weekend. ?