Gransnet forums

Chat

Unexpected Christmas Day for 2 - what to do?

(153 Posts)
vegansrock Sun 20-Dec-20 18:00:37

I know I’m not alone, but my Christmas Day is usually 12-16 family members , people staying over, Boxing Day walks and buffets etc. etc. We knew we would have a low key Christmas this year with just AC plus partner who have been isolating for 2 weeks plus a single in law who doesn’t really want to come, but doesn’t like to be excluded.Now we are in tier 4 it’s going to be Christmas with just the OH for the first time ever. I know it’s just a day and we have each other, plus we have zoom and face time with others so we are lucky and we’ll be fine but shall we - dress up? Have buck’s fizz for breakfast? go out for a walk? bother to cook a roast or just have something else? Or just slob out with a bottle of wine and Netflix? What are others doing? It all a bit last minute thanks Johnson and co.

Riverwalk Mon 21-Dec-20 08:17:09

I'm sorry about your DH Monica - hope he's recovering well. Think you'll have plenty of leftovers for the freezer so he can have his when he returns home!

I'm bubbled with my sister and her son, so it will just be the 3 of us as our brother and another guest won't now be joining.

I'll be doing the full turkey roast as usual - I love leftovers and will make up individual dinners and freeze them tchsmile

M0nica Mon 21-Dec-20 08:25:35

Thank you Riverwalk, he should be home in the New year, with 3 nice fresh unclogged arteries and renewed energy

With a decent freezer I am totally unbothered by excess food. If I am still drawing on the turkey in July whenever I fancy a 'scicken' casserole. So wha?. None of the food bought now will be wasted and it will mean food I will not be buying over the next few months as I eat up the Christmas food stash in my freezer

petra Mon 21-Dec-20 09:06:53

Hithere
The worst film ever made.
Have you seen Plan9 from outer space.
Not only did it get the Golden turkey award for worst film but worst director as well.
It's sooo bad, it turns into good.

BlueBelle Mon 21-Dec-20 09:19:47

Yes you are lucky very lucky to have had 12-16 people in your your previous Christmas times I m just a bit fed up with hearing this be glad you normally have so many because half the country don’t have anyone, any Christmas
Enjoy it in the warmth of your house with the chap you love talking to your family on the Internet, for many, the rough sleepers, the suicidal, those with no one, the refugees walking barefoot in snow Christmas is just another day to endure

Now I ll wait for all the nasty posts telling me I m being horrible

Lucca Mon 21-Dec-20 09:35:18

Bluebelle. You’re not being horrible, I think you have a point but I don’t think Vegansrock was complaining as such, just seeing what people were going to do!
The ones I find odd are the suggestions to watch tv eat bread books have a drink etc and relax, surely in these times that’s what a lot of us doing anyway ?!

lemsip Mon 21-Dec-20 09:39:27

Thank God for television! I'm on my own!

Tricia4 Mon 21-Dec-20 09:57:13

Lucky you - I am on my own!!!

Brownowl564 Mon 21-Dec-20 09:58:54

Do whatever makes you happy and it’s hardly the
governments fault that there is a new strain , blame foolish people not following very simple rules

snowyboots Mon 21-Dec-20 10:00:05

For many years now it has just been the two of us. As usual it will be beef and mushroom stew in my slow cooker + all the trimmings and we have it as an evening meal. We do treat ourselves to a nice bottle of plonk though.

lemsip Mon 21-Dec-20 10:00:46

Tricia, ? who's lucky? my post immediately after yours 20mins before? lol

TillyWhiz Mon 21-Dec-20 10:00:58

When DH and I were on our own a few years back we treated ourselves to whatever each of us fancied for Christmas dinner plus pud. That was really nice. We then had a hobby day, took turns on the TV and computer. I needed carols so made sure I watched a carol service. Went for a walk and had a few of our favourite snacks.

Gingergirl Mon 21-Dec-20 10:01:23

I would do just what you feel like doing. And if you don’t know, I’d say, sit and have a think about it. If nothing else, this pandemic has shown us how little in touch we are with our true selves and how most of us just want to follow like sheep...keep up the habit no matter what (even if sometimes it isn’t what we really want). I’m not saying that you would want it like this...of course not...but don’t let yourself be told what to do. It’s a unique occasion to choose something for yourself...or selves, if you’re lucky.

jaylucy Mon 21-Dec-20 10:01:37

Tier 4. Just me and my DS. I think it will be just like any Sunday - I get up, do housework, cook a roast dinner, wash up, then sit on the sofa with a cuppa to watch whatever is on until it's time for bed.
DS will no doubt make an appearance to eat the meal and then disappear back upstairs to watch whatever he wants to watch that I usually don't.
I don't even think I have the heart to open the presents that have been dropped off 2 weeks ago.

trueblue22 Mon 21-Dec-20 10:04:48

I'll be on my own with my dog. I can't see my adult children as I'm not in a bubble due to the fact son has a gf and daughter doesn't like the fact I go to the shops and art school studio.

So lots of facetime, early G&T and maybe some painting.

Mazzy9 Mon 21-Dec-20 10:09:31

Just us two too but we will have a 'proper' Christmas day. Dress up, cook a lovely meal, indulge in special treats. We are in tier 4 too. No visit to new grandaughter, no friends dropping in, but we are going to make the most of it, not the worse. By the way, it isn't Boris's fault. He is doing what he has been asked to do, follow the science.

JdotJ Mon 21-Dec-20 10:09:37

Same for us. Visit was planned to DD and DG in Yorkshire plus DS and his family on Boxing Day, all cancelled. Myself and DH never been on our at Xmas. First time for everything!!!

Moggycuddler Mon 21-Dec-20 10:10:45

Why do you need to ask other grans what you should do? Do whatever you feel like! Have a nice day, relax.

Yiayia4 Mon 21-Dec-20 10:11:01

We are on our own for the first time in 49 years!we are in tier 4 here in Surrey and it’s dire! I know 6 people who have tested positive in the area including My D.I.L so home it is.

We will start the morning with smoked salmon and scrambled egg with a Buck’s Fizz maybe a walk along the river if dry. Dinner will be about 6pm.Lots of catch up T .V fizz and chocolate.
Hope you make the most of what you have wishing you all a happier healthy 2021.

Paperbackwriter Mon 21-Dec-20 10:11:28

Lucca

I know this is irrational but I hate the phrase “all the trimmings”?‍♀️

Oh me too Lucca!

(On a completely irrelevant note, I also hate it when people say someone is 'beautiful, inside and out' - I have an all-too-literal picture that always comes to mind)

Pippa22 Mon 21-Dec-20 10:12:20

I note that most people are saying that Christmas will be “just the two of us “. What a huge difference that makes over those of us who without visitors will be alone. Think about it folks and the luxury of being a couple. Being hunkered down with the one you love is cosy, alone is very different. I have my really very happy memories of being one of a couple which ended far to soon when we were 51. To all the people still in a (happy) couple cherish the time together either alone or with others. Being close to your sole mate is wonderful.

GreyKnitter Mon 21-Dec-20 10:13:21

Just the two of us and the cats! We’ll eat what we fancy and when we want to, probably dress up a bit (I’ve told him he can’t wear his usual tatty trousers and shirt!), call family and friends, have a walk if the weather is ok, watch a bit of tv. We’ve both been saving books for Christmas Day to read on Christmas afternoon - The Richard Osman book and Barack Obama’s new wise words. I’m sure we’ll find plenty to keep us amused. And relax with a drink or two. Merry Christmas everyone. Hope you find good things to do on the big day - and are well to enjoy it. Xx

jackie0 Mon 21-Dec-20 10:13:24

last year we were alone for unavoidable reasons and we didn't do anything special, and that hurt. this year we will be alone for covid reasons, but i am going the extra effort to make it a special meal and day. do what your heart says.

jacalpad Mon 21-Dec-20 10:16:46

We were going to have our two daughters and their families here all day on Boxing Day (tier 2). Now things have changed and we are going to have one daughter, with her husband and family, all day on Christmas Day. The other daughter and her husband will be coming on Boxing Day, to have tea outside in the garden with us -weather permitting. We will wrap up warm, and we will have fairy lights and candles in the garden to make it pretty and festive. Not quite what we had planned originally, but a compromise. I haven’t seen much of my grandsons for so long, I am really looking forward to spending a bit of time with them! Love to you All, and a peaceful Christmas however you will be celebrating it. Let us hope next year brings better times for us all. Xx

Tricia4 Mon 21-Dec-20 10:17:35

Lemsip I didn’t see your message before I wrote mine, apologies. I think people who moan about just being the two of them should think themselves lucky as being on your own for Christmas is quite depressing!!!

SusieFlo Mon 21-Dec-20 10:19:49

Planning a “Thanksgiving “ day for when we have all had the vaccine.