Gransnet forums

Chat

Unexpected Christmas Day for 2 - what to do?

(153 Posts)
vegansrock Sun 20-Dec-20 18:00:37

I know I’m not alone, but my Christmas Day is usually 12-16 family members , people staying over, Boxing Day walks and buffets etc. etc. We knew we would have a low key Christmas this year with just AC plus partner who have been isolating for 2 weeks plus a single in law who doesn’t really want to come, but doesn’t like to be excluded.Now we are in tier 4 it’s going to be Christmas with just the OH for the first time ever. I know it’s just a day and we have each other, plus we have zoom and face time with others so we are lucky and we’ll be fine but shall we - dress up? Have buck’s fizz for breakfast? go out for a walk? bother to cook a roast or just have something else? Or just slob out with a bottle of wine and Netflix? What are others doing? It all a bit last minute thanks Johnson and co.

M0nica Fri 25-Dec-20 18:27:40

No point sitting at home bewailing what can't be helped!

poshpaws I admire your resilience and determination in the face of the loss you have had this year.

The quote above summarises how I feel as well.

My DH is still with me, albeit, he is spending Christmas in hospital, and will be there for some weeks more, so Christmas will be me and DD, We cannot now see DS and family (except on Zoom) but we have decided to carry on regardless. The decorations are all up, we photographed ourselves witht the 6 kilo turkey, ordered in October, when we were expecting to have DS and family with us.

We have celebrated today, as we always do, and continue to do so.

merlotgran Fri 25-Dec-20 19:26:48

After fifty two years of marriage and countless Christmas Dinners under my belt I now realise it's just as much work to cook for two as it is for twelve.tchhmm

#knackered