Gransnet forums

Chat

If I didnt have GN...

(96 Posts)
farview Mon 21-Dec-20 22:17:33

...well I think I would feel lost...which is strange really...because I have, luckily, good,lifelong friends, my children,their partners (albeit half of my children and grandchildren overseas)...my voluntary work,my garden, and also do next door neighbours garden...always busy,...many frustrations and upsets ..as we all do...been on this site for well over four years now...would definitely say that I'm not one of the 'in crowd'...but its important to me..always read the GM thread...worry about people on there and people who go missing from it...appreciate advice I've been given..PM's that I've received,..personal friends that I've made......anyway...thank you...GN is part of my life..a small...but important part...?

Callistemon Tue 22-Dec-20 15:40:52

A lovely post, farview

I joined when my dearest friend died and, having lost a couple more friends recently, Gransnet helps to fill that gap in my life.
With friends and family far away, too, and clubs shut at the moment, it's good to be able to log on and 'chat'.

I dont always post on the Good Morning thread or visit Soop's Kitchen but sometimes pop in to catch up with news and there is always a friendly welcome.

Kate1949 Tue 22-Dec-20 15:59:23

Lovely post farview I have found this site invaluable. I have often hesitated about posting on some threads as I'm in case I come across as a whinger after some very difficult times.
However, I have received nothing but kindness and support.
I hope you all have a lovely Christmas and here's to a better 2021 wine

BluePizzaWalking Tue 22-Dec-20 16:09:10

I don't often post on Gransnet but do read a bit of it most days. I only joined in March when feeling particularly bored and missing chatting in person with my real life friends. Since then Gransnet has become a comfort to me to read when I am feeling a bit lonely or bored. It makes me laugh, and some posts makes me cry, and sometimes makes me feel lucky and well off compared to others. As others have said it is like a little chat in a coffee shop ? a comfort when you need it and easy to ignore when you don't feel in the mood. So thank you to those of you who regularly post and start threads. You are helping keep me going through this miserable year. ?

AGAA4 Tue 22-Dec-20 16:12:14

Thanks for this thread farview. I always feel better after a chat on Gransnet. It is good to have the opinions of others and there are always interesting threads.

lemongrove Tue 22-Dec-20 16:29:56

Nice to read all these happy comments, GN is probably the best public forum there is for older people, always advice, support and interesting discussions, ideas etc.
Being of a somewhat shy and retiring nature my natural home is The Argy Bargy Bar, where I am to be found most days, feet up with a glass of something to hand ( usually in both hands.) AGA brews the best poteen outside of Ireland.
Hope to see some newer posters joining us in the bar.??

Skye17 Tue 22-Dec-20 16:58:23

I agree, Farview, thank you!

4xGranny Tue 22-Dec-20 17:13:30

I only joined GN a few weeks ago but I’m so glad I have. It is so interesting to read about other people’s interests and opinions. I receive the daily email at 9:30 each morning and tune in to read the posts and comments at various times during the day.

Lisagran Tue 22-Dec-20 17:16:34

Being of a somewhat shy and retiring nature. Ha! lemongrove I was just re-arranging my jugs and that made me splutter grin

Unigran4 Tue 22-Dec-20 17:16:46

Charleygirl you are not a computer idiot! That was exactly right. Thank you. And thanks to all others who posted back to me. I think I've got the hang of it now.

knspol Tue 22-Dec-20 17:39:40

If I didn't have gransnet... I wouldn't know that so many of us all have the same problems and worries which is a real comfort at times. On the other hand maybe I'd get more things done instead of sitting with a coffee reading the various threads every day.

farview Tue 22-Dec-20 18:02:02

Oh how heartwarming this thread has become...I've not had a minute to myself today,hospice shop volunteering then picked 4yr old hurricane up fro school at 1pm,hes had me pretending to be a dinosaur, a crocodile etc just back from taking him home and am shattered
On way back in the car,promised myself an hour on GN with a cuppa...it is a treat...reading all these posts made it a special treat..smiled,eyes filled up, smiled again...its wonderful that we all,from various backgrounds, different parts of the country (world)...can come together..and as has been said...during this awful year it's been a Godsend...there is always someone on here to reach out to...to say "I'm struggling "...and a virtual hand is held out...thank you all..keep safe...and to quote a certain
Good Morning poster......keep smiling ?⚘?

NewHere Tue 22-Dec-20 18:23:17

I'm not sure how I would have negotiated my son and dil split when my first grandchild was just 3 months old. I am wiser and more mature with the help.of Gransnet. Highly recommended to first time grans. Thank you and Merry Christmas all xx

Bridie22 Tue 22-Dec-20 18:27:51

I have received kindness and support from strangers whom have become friends.
Without their support life would have been harder than normal.
Thank you.
Merry Christmas and fingers crossed for a virus free coming year ???

Moggycuddler Tue 22-Dec-20 18:46:19

I look forward to Gransnet every morning with my cuppa and tea cake and my lovely cat on my lap. And I enjoy being able to post a few messages of my opinion, or hopefully support, to other Grans. A great little community! All the very best to all of you.

Blinko Tue 22-Dec-20 18:48:49

What a lovely thread. Thanks farview for starting it.

hulahoop Tue 22-Dec-20 19:03:29

I don't always post nearly always miss GM just not organised on a morning .I have asked a few questions and have always received answers so thank you for all the tips I have been given stay safe everyone.

Nanny27 Tue 22-Dec-20 20:38:18

Thank you Farview. Its so lovely to read a happy post. Made my day!

farview Tue 22-Dec-20 21:02:38

Nanny27..we need happiness to thrive...so much real life sadness going on around me re friends...makes you realise that for wellbeing...snatch the happy bits ?

Millie22 Tue 22-Dec-20 21:40:25

I agree what a lovely thread farview There's lots of good advice and help and many kind people on here. I always read the GM thread and love to hear what everyone is doing.

NannyJan53 Wed 23-Dec-20 07:35:04

Great thread farview. I joined 3 years ago just after I retired.

I post regularly on the Good Morning thread, where there are so many lovely regulars I feel as if I know them. It is comforting to chat to other Grans who otherwise I would never meet in real life.

I have met a few on here also, and look forward to the meets starting up again in the (hopefully) near future.

I stay away from the political threads as they do tend to get heated.