Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Wednesday

(80 Posts)
12Michael Wed 23-Dec-20 06:16:36

Good Morning Everyone,
Yet another dark and wet start here in brackley this morning .
Yesterday , the experience of coming back on a bus back from Bicester with people sat close together was frightening .
Bicester , was bad enough itself , family's out , with young kids out of control with the virus slowly creeping upwards as to infections , its not surprising, how many people ignore warnings .
Even in the cafe , which I hope to revisit in new year again, are doubting things as to moving into Tier 4.
I did have a bad spell coming back , but rested shut the door and a couple of paracetamols I was OK .
Weight loss is a problem as well.
Take Care ,
Mick

Beauregard Wed 23-Dec-20 07:41:05

Good morning all. Another wet day in Derbyshire today.

Yesterday we had a lovely day. The boys had a great time on the Elf Trail at the local country park. They had to find posters with questions on them and write their answers on a sheet. It was lovely to see how good the 7 year old is now at reading, and the 5 year old writing everything down. A nice outdoor family activity which was busy but not worryingly so because of the wide open space.

The fridge is now stocked for Christmas after we collected our meat hamper. All shopping is done and without any queuing or stress.

Today I'll finish the wrapping and have a general clean and tidy, then a walk out later to ensure the girls are fed and watered.

Hope today is a good day for all.

Taichinan Wed 23-Dec-20 07:45:07

Good morning all from a pitch dark Angus coast. I don't know when I was last up this early after a good night's sleep.
Well, that's two chuckles already this morning and it's not 7.39 yet! I love your tree Beechnut - surprisingly similar to my own one ??, and I 'got' your joke Ash - thanks for sharing.
Things are not good with the virus and I don't envy those of you living in crowded places. I thought I had got organised but with everything being "all change", instead of being away and not catering for Christmas I am now home and DS1 is coming to have his Christmas lunch with me - which is really lovely of him - and I shall have to go out and shop again. I suspect there will be many in my situation.
Did you have your phone call with the practice nurse yesterday Mick? I hope she can reassure you, or arrange for you to have a 'proper' appointment with your doctor.
The situation around you is dire, Grandmattie but I do feel for those poor lorry drivers. It's not their fault and they're caught miles from home with no idea if they'll be home for Christmas.
As well as battling the crowds today I am also getting my hair cut, and having a distanced garden exchange of family presents with my niece. On Boxing Day we are all in virtual lockdown for who knows how long, so goodness knows when we'll see each other again.
Have a good day everyone, filled with whatever makes it good for you. ????

NannyJan53 Wed 23-Dec-20 07:49:13

Good morning from a dark Black Country, where rain is predicted today.

I had a great walk with DD and family round their village, through the fields and woods. A tad muddy though, with one very muddy Labrador at the end. Then I popped into Mums for lunch, and we had an hours walk on the Railway walk which backs onto her house. She actually has to pay Wolverhampton Council £10 a year for that access from her garden.

The girls gave me a Nanny Present. A pot plant and a bag which looks like sweet treats!

I agree with NanKate Mick, you really need to seek out medical advice.

I will make a batch of mince pies today, as I have not made any yet.

Ashcombe that joke is so bad it is good smile

Wishing you all a good and safe day.

12Michael Wed 23-Dec-20 07:50:05

In reply , yesterday I had a phone chat with a nurse at my surgery ,and rebooked my blood test for 4th January, they will also do a weight check and blood pressure as well .
Thing is I have panicked in situations which appear to be dangerous in my eyes .
As surprised to see may breaking tier 4 rules and shopping at Bicester Village retail , by train and car
Mick

NannyJan53 Wed 23-Dec-20 07:51:08

Forgot to mention. Mum had a letter yesterday from Wolverhampton Council saying she would be receiving notification soon about her vaccination. She is 91 in January, so I was hoping she would receive it by the end of the year.

Viridian Wed 23-Dec-20 07:54:00

Thank you for telling us that Mick.

Taichinan Wed 23-Dec-20 07:57:37

Love your axylotyl Veridian - they're the cutest looking beasts. ?

Susan56 Wed 23-Dec-20 07:58:06

Good morning from Shropshire.

Still not sure what is happening for Christmas.Our two year old DGS isn’t well.Covid result negative.He is still unwell but may pick up by Christmas Day so will have to wait and see what happens.

grandMattie, so glad to hear positive news of Iris and her sister.The lorry situation is dreadful.

Your DGD is going to love her adventure with her aunt Bellasnanna.Wouldnt mind a road trip myself!

Love the joke Ashcombe and the axolotl Viridian.

Grammaretto,that sounds a lot for dental treatment.I am in denplan so pay a monthly amount but DH pays as he goes.His last filling was £80.

Hope that Cherry and Mary have both had a better night and that Mr Doodle is continuing to improve.

Have a good day all and stay safe.

cornergran Wed 23-Dec-20 07:59:53

Morning Mick, morning All from a damp looking corner of Somerset. It is hard seeing people too close together, Mick. Can I suggest you ask for a telephone appointment with a GP. they should be able to point you towards information on managing those panic symptoms which can be very frightening.

Good to hear people are managing safe family contact with all the restrictions. Impressed with our surgery, physio advised a chat with the GP, completed the dreaded on line form late afternoon yesterday and can expect a call this morning. No complaints there. Other than that it’s dust removal and a kitchen clean for me today. Everything is crossed that Mr C will finish the current jigsaw and the table will be - empty!

Take care everyone. Special thoughts for those with heavy hearts, hope we can all find something bright in the day.

Alygran Wed 23-Dec-20 08:06:06

Good morning from North Yorkshire. I think I can hear rain outside.
Lovely day yesterday to walk up on the hills. Great views across towards the Pennines.
Off to DD2’s today to stay for a few days. We are both looking forward to having some company. She is working (from home) till tomorrow evening so I’ll have to entertain myself. DD1 lives near her and is off work from today but the new rules mean I can’t go there till Christmas Day.
Hope today is kind to everyone. Stay safe.

Greyduster Wed 23-Dec-20 08:06:48

Good morning, Michael and all GNs from a still dark South Yorkshire. I can see it is very wet though! Mick please look after yourself - I hope you will not have to go out again until after all the Christmas madness is over. Crowded places can be very unsettling at the moment. General tidying and straightening up today and then I am shackled to the kitchen for the remainder of my Christmas baking. GS and his dad are picking up the turkey and bringing it over this afternoon.
We had a visit with my lovely niece and her scatty little doggie yesterday. Masks were worn (not by the dog though?).
Love the jokes! Take care everyone and stay safe! Classic FM are playing Leroy Anderson’s Sleigh Ride! My favourite!

Jaxjacky Wed 23-Dec-20 08:07:47

Good morning all from a damp S Hants. Today Tesco delivery this afternoon, hope everything is there so no more venturing out. We, well I, watched All Creatures Great and Small last night, thoroughly enjoyable, just the job. I’ll put a wash on in a while, what an exciting day! DD was going to take the GC’s to Paultons Park today, but saw earlier in the week we have heavy rain forecast, so sold the tickets on. I bought both GC’s Christmas blankets for their beds last year and promptly forgot them, so they’re out for her to pick up tomorrow with their cards.
Two sleeps! Have a gentle day all.

Greyduster Wed 23-Dec-20 08:07:53

Wonderful photos, Alygran. Takes me back!

dragonfly46 Wed 23-Dec-20 08:08:43

Good morning from murky Leicestershire.

My DD has arranged to have most of our Christmas on Zoom! We can eat together and play games on Christmas Day. We had a dummy run last night. Our son will Zoom on Boxing Day when the DGC will open our presents. Who would have thought it would be possible?

I too feel for the lorry drivers in Dover. It is criminal keeping them there.

Loved the joke Ashcombe made me chuckle.

ginny Wed 23-Dec-20 08:11:48

Good Morning. Looks miserable outside so I am still tucked up in bed.

Glad you are taking some medical advice Mick Maybe best to stay close to home for a while.
Veridian the axolotl made me smile. A great likeness !

Will take a short drive to DD1 to deliver some homemade goodies. Will place by front door and stand well back. Hope to catch a glimpse of DGS. He is 18 and calls me regularly but nice to see him in the flesh.
Other than that not much else planned.

Hope you all find a ?today.

Pittcity Wed 23-Dec-20 08:15:07

Good morning from rainy Colchester.
Finished our shopping yesterday quite easily. No queues or shortages. Everyone friendly and trying to distance.
Now hibernating until the weather improves.

Taichinan Wed 23-Dec-20 08:24:41

Lovely views alygran - I can just smell the fresh air!

Marydoll Wed 23-Dec-20 08:25:52

Good morning all from a cold foggy Glasgow.
Mick, I'm sorry to hear that you had such an unpleasant experience yesterday. Its not my place to tell you what to do or not to do, but it may be wiser to stay closer to home for the time being, due to your diabetes and age, which make you even more vulnerable to the virus. We wouldn't want anything to happen to our Mick!

Dwmxwg great news about the vaccine!
Borrheid and * GM*, you must be find this business in Kent very worrying, however, so glad to hear that Iris is doing well.

A day of faffing for me, apart from a Tesco delivery. I wonder how many items will be missing. Last night I had a meltdown, when my order and delivery slot disappeared. The Tesco site seemed to be having a meltdown too!! It was compounded by DD, who phoned to tell me all, the shopping was missing from my basket! I blame DH. It all went pear shaped, when DH added 12 bottles of Spitfire Ale to the order. It took it over the 95 item limit.?
I will be on tenterhooks until it arrives.?

DD is up coming to get her own shopping, (as Christmas with us is cancelled), and to help me with the shopping, because
I'm struggling a bit just now. That is her excuse. She is actually coming to watch, Muppets Christmas Carol, with DH, which she has done since she was about four. She is now thirty six!

Yesterday we took a walk around to see my sister in law, it was all a bit awkward. We haven't seen her in months. We couldn't
have any physical contact with her, as she is here, there and everywhere and we are worried about how careless she is, mixing with so many people. Despite my DH telling her months ago, that my consultant said I could not be near people, she took the huff. ?
I was dreading going to see her. We stood in her driveway talking, but it was so damp that I couldn't stop coughing and was desperate to get home.

On the way there, I dropped off a goodie bag at my friend's house. We rang the doorbell, rattled the letterbox, phoned both her mobile and landlines twice, but no response. We were quite worried, since her car was in her driveway. I hid the bag behind some Christmas decorations, as I knew I wouldn't be back out again. The walk left me totally exhausted, but it was so good to get some fresh air.
Just after I got home, the phone rang: Why didn't you ring the the bell? my friend asked. I was in the kitchen!.
She is one of my oldest friends and I was so looking forward to seeing her, albeit from the bottom of her driveway!

Yesterday I received a Christmas card from Nicola Sturgeon, she must have heard that I am now Lady Marydoll, as the customer service agent at Dobbies mistakenly thought yesterday. ?
Actually, it was to thank me for taking the pressure off the NHS, by staying in and keeping myself safe, but also with a list lots of dos and don't
A clever way of saying , that I will be shielding for some time to come! ?
I have received a text, alerting me that another shielding letter is on the way! * B***ER!!

For all the Goodmorningers, including the lurkers, we all have our sorrows to bear in these emotionally and mentally challenging time, some posters, privately in their hearts, these flowers are for you. Times will get better.

Taichinan Wed 23-Dec-20 08:34:52

Just looked up and thought that looked pretty and a wee bit Christmassy, so thought I'd share!

LauraNorder Wed 23-Dec-20 08:46:09

Good morning Mick and all from dry breezy Anglesey. Hasn’t been too cold yet although the builders decided weeks ago not worth risking finishing the lime render in case of frost, so we still have blue plastic covering on the ground floor windows. Probably going to be blue until spring at this rate. Have to keep coming upstairs to remind myself we have nice views.
Mick, I wonder if you could go online and look for some breathing exercises to help with your anxiety. It is an anxious time for everyone, I know.
A few friends have called with cards and gifts. It’s so strange when people step back away from me as I open the door instead of stepping forward towards me as we used to.
Mustn’t complain, it’s just so good to see them and have a natter face to masked face.
Hope everyone has a better day today and finds something to have a little chuckle about.

Jan16 Wed 23-Dec-20 08:47:11

Good morning everyone from a dismal Norfolk. Quiet couple of days until Christmas Day. Youngest daughter is “doing” Christmas so it seems odd not to be rushing around. Sounds dreadful but will be pleased when it’s all over! Roll on 2021 and everyone getting vaccinated. DH has had his first jab and I’m impatiently waiting for mine!

EllanVannin Wed 23-Dec-20 08:48:33

Good Morning All x.
Didn't know what it was like outside until one of the cats jumped on my knee---with wet paws, so gathered it was damp out there. Still not what you'd call cold yet. Unhealthy weather really for December, but the only consolation is that you can get around and about without breaking your neck on icy pavements.

A trip to Morrison's later on in the day. I declined the M&S trip for fear it would be packed as being just a food outlet it's not the largest airiest of buildings, so I don't see the point. At least Morrison's is right on the sea front with good blasts of air to take in. Only a 10 minute drive away.

D had a text from Durham yesterday to say that Ruby-Lou will be driven down tomorrow morning to stay with the family until the day after Boxing Day, then they'll be returning her on New Years Eve until after New Years Day. My D texted back and told them that she didn't see the sense in breaking up her stay for the sake of a few days, so whether there's been a reply or not I don't know.

It's a 2 and a half/ 3 hour journey both ways, why can't they leave her until the New Year ? This is counter-productive to the child's mental health too-ing and fro-ing like that. It's things like this that make me wish I'd studied psychiatry ! They don't know everything.

I also have some issues with the team who are overseeing my GD ( mother of all the children ) who had " hit the bottle " not long ago because she was missing and pining for the children and cries when she hears Christmas music when shopping----but she's not getting the support she needs and the team seem to be working against her, so that's something I'm going to have to sort out.

Oh what a Merry Christmas !! I can't afford to let my guard down now, even though it's a rotten situation all round.

Speaking of jokes, brother sent me the funniest card along with the usual "Sisterly" one containing a nice cheque, so I'll be phoning him today to thank him. He's so good. He'll be 78 in February and has prostate cancer but refused radiotherapy some 6 years ago, still remains well though considering he was in a bad way initially.

Mick it sounds like a nervous debility where crowds are concerned, brought on by this virus scaring everyone so it doesn't surprise me the way you feel/ felt. The same can cause weight loss too.
Anxiety is a terrible thing and I reckon that many will suffer the same. Even I'll be bracing myself to shop in a big store later, as I felt ill a month ago after I'd been to Asda, bit it was only anxiety. The A/F was doing overtime.

Well I managed to hoover round the place yesterday but there are boxes and bags here and there and wrapping paper in readiness, but I've mis-placed the Sellotape ! Dash !. I've looked everywhere---the oven, fridge grin

Do you know, I've got 42 cards, all over the place--sideboard mantelpiece and hearth, which tells me that most are still in the land of the living. How great is that ?

I'll be thinking of GGS today at the dentist having his troublesome tooth out ( with gas ) , still, he won't suffer over Christmas. Flippin' kids grin

I sincerely hope that everyone's well and please stay safe while out and about. Thoughts to anyone who's feeling down. I'll now give everyone a chance to have their say, so take care Gilly too xx. Crumpets are calling.

Gingster Wed 23-Dec-20 08:49:48

Good morning all and forecast is rain, rain , rain. It’s dry at the moment though.

My DB1 has his 80th birthday today, so we are popping over with his card and present. We will knock and leave it on the doorstep, step well back and sing Happy Birthday to him. ?. Another celebration cancelled !?

We got the rest of our shopping yesterday at our local small shops. The greengrocers was busy but the store was empty. Got all we needed. No supermarkets for us Thankyou.

Mick your ‘episodes’ do sound like panic attacks. Horrible and frightening. Try to stay put if you can and avoid busy places. ?

My DB2 phoned yesterday to say his little bit of Essex is still in tier 2. (Most of us are in 4. ) so he can still visit his DW who has recently gone into care, with dementia. ?.

At 3 pm today the family are all zooming to wish the birthday boy a happy day, raise a glass and have a little quiz, all about him. Should be fun.

Wishing you all health and happiness ??

harrigran Wed 23-Dec-20 09:00:14

Good morning from a dark and damp NE.
Quiet day yesterday, watched Matilda on TV and then wrapped GDs presents.
DD sent photo of tree without expensive glass star from the top, she has two foster cats at present and does not want a disaster. The cats belong to two separate families that are caught in lockdown in another country, DD is in Brussels.
Have a good day folks.

Anniebach Wed 23-Dec-20 09:00:54

Good morning Auntyflo and all x