Gransnet forums

Chat

Ironing - any thoughts?

(54 Posts)
mimismo Sat 26-Dec-20 10:33:38

I hate, loathe and detest ironing! Yesterday I got out a previously ironed and put away tablecloth. When it was on the table I decided that, despite my aforementioned aversion, it needed ironing! Curses! Now it's been washed and is on the airer and I'm wondering - do I iron it before I put it away or not? For some reason putting it away wrinkled goes against the grain, but I know when I get it out it will need ironing! Aaagghh! What shall I do??!!

25Avalon Sat 26-Dec-20 11:42:10

Better still get a Christmas decorated plastic cloth!

Maggiemaybe Sat 26-Dec-20 11:42:20

Actually, I can’t imagine now that I used to watch Eastenders...

Theoddbird Sat 26-Dec-20 11:52:00

All my clothes are cotton or linen. I never iron any until I am going to wear them. Same with table cloths. I iron when I am going to use... Why iron twice?

GranEd Sat 26-Dec-20 12:05:07

OMG! ? Shame on me!! ?

I have to admit that not only do I not iron ...... I don’t possess a table cloth!!!

???blush

fiorentina51 Sat 26-Dec-20 12:05:41

Use paper a tablecloth then chuck it away.

Jaxjacky Sat 26-Dec-20 12:18:50

No ironing here either, if DH wants his shirts ironing, he does them and always has done.

kittylester Sat 26-Dec-20 12:40:59

In answer to the op - I'd iron first but remember to give it a quick smooth over on the day......or buy a runner!

midgey Sat 26-Dec-20 12:46:01

According to my daughter.....buy a steamer!

BlueSapphire Sat 26-Dec-20 12:49:05

The only things I ever ironed were late DH's shirts, and the occasional summer dress of mine.
Can't remember now how long it is since I got the ironing board out. I dry t-shirts on hangers and try not to wear anything that might need ironing. The ironing board is banished to the garage.

Callistemon Sat 26-Dec-20 12:55:24

Everything gets ironed perfectly in this house but not by me.

I should hire out the Ironing Elf and make a fortune.

Cherrytree59 Sat 26-Dec-20 13:06:51

When the children went to bed on xmas eve I would stand and iron (watching a traditional films on tv) I did so through gritted teeth
I loath and detest it, give me a drain to clean any day.

One day a few years ago I was up to to my eyes in ironing, my daughter was back home with a new baby, her partner was working away.
My father was very ill
(Incontinent) and I had his washing and ironing plus DH was still at work, so daily shirt required etc etc.

I sat on the stairs with my head in my hands totally exhausted.?
On the book case was our local telephone directory.
I flipped through it and found the number of a local ironing company.

Result!
I got back precious time with my father.
I was happily able help my daughter with my first grandchild.

Now my friendly ironing man only comes once a month to pick up and return bedding and anything that require an iron.
The rest can go to hang!
Literally on to hangers straight from the washing line or tumble dryer .
Life is too short.?

Casdon Sat 26-Dec-20 13:07:31

It depends whether you wear artificial fibres or not, and if you don’t, whether you mind looking slightly crumpled. I like linen in the summer, and it looks like a dishcloth if you don’t iron it. I iron my jeans, and smart trousers look better if they are ironed. I also ironed the Christmas tablecloth before it went on the table, because it had creases from being stored in the drawer, I must be a dinosaur.

Callistemon Sat 26-Dec-20 13:13:32

Cherrytree
I used to stand at night ironing for 6 people after a day at work but DH kindly took it over and does it better than me.

My friend used to do ironing for people; she liked it and it paid well. She used to have air crew as clients so would repack it all for them.

tanith Sat 26-Dec-20 13:57:19

I used iron 10 shirts every week when I was working 5 mine and 5 DHs now I have one shirt and some Summer linen dresses and they are the only thing that gets ironed in this house.

Lewie Sat 26-Dec-20 14:09:47

I actually enjoy ironing! I pop in my ear buds and listen to an audiobook while I'm doing it. I would iron your tablecloth before putting it away - once is enough!

Longrunkaren Sat 26-Dec-20 14:15:21

I don't mind ironing, and it gives great satisfaction to have a pile of ironed stuff. I iron pillowcases, tea towels, tablecloths, hankies, my jeans, T-shirts, shirts and dresses. It makes me feel I don't value myself if I don't maintain my ironing standards. I watch TV of an evening while ironing. Better for you than sitting watching TV.

SpringyChicken Sat 26-Dec-20 14:25:08

I do wonder if people who detest ironing make the task worse than it needs to be. My son and daughter dislike/don't do much ironing and begrudge paying the money for equipment. They have a small cheapo iron that doesn't pump out much steam and a foam backed cover on the board.

A decent iron and a thick pad under the cover makes the job quicker and easier.

Lucretzia Sat 26-Dec-20 19:28:16

Hate ironing

Haven't done any for years

Tumble dryer helps

GagaJo Sat 26-Dec-20 20:40:07

I don't mind ironing, Springychicken, but after a 12 hour work day, am disinclined to do anything other than flop on the sofa with a cup of tea.

MamaCaz Sat 26-Dec-20 21:09:44

My excuse for not ironing theory is that smooth clothes highlight wrinkled skin, so I always try to wear clothes that are slightly less smooth than my skin.

This has served me well for quite a few years now, doing away with the need to iron. ?

Sadly, recent glimpses of myself in the mirror have made me realize that I might soon have to start putting extra creases in the laundry if I am to maintain this illusion!

lemongrove Sat 26-Dec-20 21:15:33

Ellianne

Don't put it away crumpled. The creases will embed in it and you will need to rewash it or at least steam it.
A light iron over if you want and then again when you use it mimismo.

Yup.
I have just washed the tablecloth and will iron it tomorrow and put away.?

Rufus2 Sun 27-Dec-20 02:02:22

I hate, loathe and detest ironing!
Minismo Don't we all, so it hardly constitutes Yuletide festivities! tchhmm
I( thought you were all (nearly) retired school teachers, not domestic servants. tchgrin
Please! There's a time and a place for everything!
Good Health. wine

Hithere Sun 27-Dec-20 02:11:27

I only iron if my sewing project requires it
And
If I have a job interview

JuliaM Sun 27-Dec-20 02:12:20

Why not Buy Non-iron easy care Tablecloths? I have several, all purchased over the years from Dunhelm Mill stores, I have the matching Napkins too for when we want to go really Posh!
They are so easy to wash and drip dry very quickly, and hold their shape well without any Ironing, I just put a good dose of Fabric conditioner in the machine with them, and they come out as good as new!

Coolgran65 Sun 27-Dec-20 03:16:25

I used to iron about 3 hours each week. Since being retired I do about 30 minutes each month. Dh shirts and certain bedding. I do like ironed sheets etc. If dh gets fed up waiting on shirts (tho he has way more than enough) he irons them himself.