Gransnet forums

Chat

Ironing - any thoughts?

(54 Posts)
mimismo Sat 26-Dec-20 10:33:38

I hate, loathe and detest ironing! Yesterday I got out a previously ironed and put away tablecloth. When it was on the table I decided that, despite my aforementioned aversion, it needed ironing! Curses! Now it's been washed and is on the airer and I'm wondering - do I iron it before I put it away or not? For some reason putting it away wrinkled goes against the grain, but I know when I get it out it will need ironing! Aaagghh! What shall I do??!!

Spice101 Sun 27-Dec-20 05:09:49

I don’t mind ironing. The worst bit is getting the ironing board out and putting it away again.
Iron the cloth and hang it on a clothes hanger. I will not crease.

Georgesgran Sun 27-Dec-20 23:34:07

When DH worked I used to have my ironing done locally - usually 20 shirts a fortnight, plus school shirts for DDs.
My wonderful cleaner came every Friday morning as I embarked on the 50 mile school run round trip and Stephen the garden chap would rock up to cut the grass and tidy the borders. Before you ask - I was looking after my DM and 10 dogs in kennels and doing 7 hours voluntary work weekly.

Since retiring he’s sat on his backside (ill now) or pursued his own hobby and all my paid helpers were stopped as he said he’d help with chores. I’ll be 70 next year and adamant I’ll get some professional help in. My NY resolution.

Sorry I sidetracked the ‘ironing’ thread.

welbeck Sun 27-Dec-20 23:55:11

i have never ironed anything. born in the 1950s.
done my own laundry since aged 10, going to laundrette. never ironed my school shirts, or anything else. now use ordinary washing machine, don't have a tumble dryer. hang outside when poss, otherwise on hangers/ radiator racks.
when going to work i decided to pay for my week's shirts to be professionally washed and ironed. in those days cost about £10 for 6 shirts. first time i took along a brand new worn once rather nice pure cotton mid blue shirt. it was returned with frayed white cuffs where it had been ironed too hot/pressed too hard.
so i went back to my slovenly ways and preserved my clothes, to wash n wear, n wear again, and again etc.