Gransnet forums

Chat

Ironing - any thoughts?

(53 Posts)
mimismo Sat 26-Dec-20 10:33:38

I hate, loathe and detest ironing! Yesterday I got out a previously ironed and put away tablecloth. When it was on the table I decided that, despite my aforementioned aversion, it needed ironing! Curses! Now it's been washed and is on the airer and I'm wondering - do I iron it before I put it away or not? For some reason putting it away wrinkled goes against the grain, but I know when I get it out it will need ironing! Aaagghh! What shall I do??!!

aggie Sat 26-Dec-20 10:36:15

I iron NUFFIN ! , too many dishes on the table to even see the cloth !
I wear unironed t shirts and jeans , no one has fainted yet !

Ellianne Sat 26-Dec-20 10:37:32

Don't put it away crumpled. The creases will embed in it and you will need to rewash it or at least steam it.
A light iron over if you want and then again when you use it mimismo.

Alexa Sat 26-Dec-20 10:37:55

I got a new ironing board and have hardly used it. I iron nothing at all despite ironing used to be my second fave chore.

henetha Sat 26-Dec-20 10:38:40

Don't do it! Just do patting and folding. grin

Granarchist Sat 26-Dec-20 10:39:14

my 40 yr old daughter does not own an iron. Her whole family, husband included never look crumpled at all/

Chewbacca Sat 26-Dec-20 10:39:49

I moved to this house 18 months ago and haven't unpacked the iron yet. No idea where the ironing board is. And not one single person has commented that look dishevelled in all that time. The only thing I regret is all those wasted hours spent ironing in the past.

timetogo2016 Sat 26-Dec-20 10:42:43

I don`t either but dh does even though 90% of the time there is no need.

Pudding123 Sat 26-Dec-20 10:50:30

I iron everything even my Liz Earle muslin facecloths so they sit perfectly in a stack. My daughter 36 irons nothing ! She doesn't have time or inclination. My late mother in law straightened her washing as soon as it came out of the machine to such an extent that very little needed ironing..each to their own!

annsixty Sat 26-Dec-20 10:51:57

I have posted on more than one occasion that I cannot understand not ironing much as I hate it.
I now eat my words, my iron rarely sees the light of day.
Any clothing that really would benefit is no longer worn.
If things are hung up when wet and then smoothes before being put away then they are
Just dry that tablecloth after smoothing well ,fold it carefully and don’t put it in an overcrowded drawer and it will be fine.

readalot Sat 26-Dec-20 10:52:21

I don't iron neither. Most of my stuff goes in the dryer. My every day clothes go in the washer a few at a time then dry on the radiator. They always look fine.

SusieFlo Sat 26-Dec-20 10:55:39

Nearly everything I wash seems to need ironing. Wondering if it’s our washing machine? DIL irons nothing and they never look dishevelled....

Kim19 Sat 26-Dec-20 10:59:17

I don't mind ironing one little bit and I certainly enjoy/appreciate the result for my physical/mental state. Feel good. Look good (imo, of course!). Don't think for one minute it matters in general. If you feel fine then that's absolutely great. I do believe our expectation of each other is less in this arena. And why not? I also believe I can mostly distinguish a non ironed item from the alternative but - who cares? I wield the mighty steamer whilst watching TV. Painless. I would othwise be sitting comfortably but do more than enough of that already!

Greenfinch Sat 26-Dec-20 11:05:12

Does everyone who doesn't iron have a tumble dryer ? If not I can't see how you can get away with not ironing cotton even when washed at the lowest temperature. I enjoy ironing so it is not a problem for me.

GrannySomerset Sat 26-Dec-20 11:15:14

I was mystified that DS and ex-DiL didn’t seem to own an iron until I realised that DS sent his shirts to the laundry and everything else was smoothed and dried on racks in the large airing cupboard in the bathroom. I wish I had thought of that but in the days when I ironed 15 white shirts a week for husband and school age daughter and son we certainly couldn’t have afforded to send them out! I wonder how many years of my life I won’t get back?

MawBe Sat 26-Dec-20 11:19:41

My Christmas tablecloth was always a huge white damask one from my mother in law and I made the mistake one year of washing and tumbling it before a totally unsuccessful attempt at ironing out the creases.
I learned that for that one thing alone it is absolutely worth having it professionally laundered and ironed!

Calendargirl Sat 26-Dec-20 11:23:31

I don’t possess a tumble drier. I iron most things, but don’t claim to be a ‘good’ ironer.

I think things look creased if not ironed, but not bothered if others choose not to do it.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 26-Dec-20 11:29:36

It depends what kind of table cloth it is.

If it is white cotton or linnen DO NOT iron it first, as it will turn yellow along the folds while it is in the cupboard, as you only use it occasionally.

Coloured cotton can be ironed without this happening.

If you fold it carefully, so it fits the shelf or drawer it is to be in, it shouldn't crease.

Hetty58 Sat 26-Dec-20 11:30:19

I don't iron these days. My posh tablecloth gets a good shake, is folded neatly - and is put away on a wooden coat hanger in a cupboard.

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 26-Dec-20 11:34:10

'fraid I do, I hate crumpled clothes! The only tablecloths I iron are cotton ones. I have some nylon seersucker ones and they are brilliant. Also clothes from M & S rarely need ironed if they've been dried outside!

GagaJo Sat 26-Dec-20 11:36:52

I don't iron anything. Careful hanging after washing drops out most creases.

Sunlover Sat 26-Dec-20 11:37:02

What’s an iron!! ???

Charleygirl5 Sat 26-Dec-20 11:38:10

I bought a new ironing board a few years ago. It is still wrapped in cellophane. I have kept it and the iron, just in case.
My mother who had one day off a month even ironed flimsy knickers and bra straps- what a waste of time.

Maggiemaybe Sat 26-Dec-20 11:40:34

I don’t iron. DH has the odd shirt that really needs it, so does them himself. We do have a tumble dryer, but only line dry if the weather’s up to it and don’t iron those things either. Creases either drop out or would have happened anyway in normal wear. I can’t imagine now that I used to spend a couple of hours a week with that ruddy iron, usually in front of the Eastenders omnibus on a Sunday. smile

25Avalon Sat 26-Dec-20 11:40:48

Iron the darn thing or smooth it out easing out the creases and fold it up neatly. Actually don’t iron it as it’ll probably still come out creased next year and then you will be ironing twice sad