Gransnet forums

Chat

Strange happenings in the bathroom!

(86 Posts)
cathymum Mon 28-Dec-20 11:08:11

I bought a Father Christmas shaped hand soap dispenser to use in the bathroom over the festive season, I have noticed that everytime I go into the bathroom it is turned to face the wall. My OH admitted that he was doing this because he thought it looked sinister! Of course I dismissed this appropriately - as you do! This morning, as usual went to use the bathroom after OH and as usual noticed FC facing the wall then carried out the tidying session always needed before I can use the bathroom, replacing towels etc. Had my shower then while drying off noticed that FC was now facing the right way and did indeed look very sinister! Now I know I probably replaced him while on auto pilot tidying mode but I dont remember doing it! It could just be approaching madness, but to be on the safe side I might put him away somewhere. Does anyone else have untrustworthy household items or is it just me?

lemongrove Mon 28-Dec-20 15:08:43

Maggiemaybe

^Haha....??? It’s an inanimate object?^

Oh, lemongrove, you sound like that perky American teenager at the start of many a horror film. And we all know what happens next. tchshock

I’m squeezing my eyes tight shut now.

If only I looked like that perky American teenager ?
I shall take my chances Maggie and also.....arrrrrghhhhhh!

Juliet27 Mon 28-Dec-20 15:09:32

Curleywhirly early the other morning I heard my husband ask me if I wanted a cup of tea and I answered ‘no thank you’. I got up a while later and he was still fast asleep in the other bedroom and knew nothing about his kind offer!!

lemongrove Mon 28-Dec-20 15:11:06

ginny

I actually think that Father Christmas looks sad. I suppose I would be if I was stuck in the bathroom.

Yes, it’s a wistful look isn’t it?

kathsue Mon 28-Dec-20 15:24:47

My GS's computer switches itself on in the middle of the night and starts playing very loud music. GS sleeps through it but I have to get up, find my glasses then go and turn it off.

rockgran Mon 28-Dec-20 15:35:11

We have a Thunderbirds vehicle in the loft (for the grandsons) which still starts up sometimes. They haven't been here for a year!

Maggiemaybe Mon 28-Dec-20 16:08:10

We have a radio that comes on at 2am every morning for 10 minutes. Though we’re pretty sure it’s more to do with a particular grandson than the paranormal.

Sparklefizz Mon 28-Dec-20 16:51:26

So the machines are taking over the world??? Aaaarrgh!

bikergran Mon 28-Dec-20 17:11:49

I have heard touch lamps can turn themselves on and off, something to do with vibrations hmm

FannyCornforth Mon 28-Dec-20 17:27:11

Juliet27

Sparklefizz said Last night I was woken by an electronic-sounding voice. I sat up in bed and listened hard but there was nothing else.

This morning I thought I'd dreamt it. shock confused

I’m sometimes convinced in the night that I hear a text message being left...but nothing there when I check in the morning. Anyone else ‘hear’ sounds in the night that must prove to be imagination?

They are hypnopompic or hypnogogic auditory hallucinations.
Hypnopompic is when you are waking up; hypnogogic when you are falling asleep.
It is sometimes called 'exploding head syndrome' tchshock!
They are surprisingly common.

mokryna Mon 28-Dec-20 18:03:33

Had put my daughter’s two furbies in the bathroom only to be woken up with their chatter in the middle of the night.

Another time driving home after dropping her off at school, bounced a little on a sleeping policeman and jumped out of my skin when all of a sudden it went ‘weeeee!’

Glorybee Mon 28-Dec-20 18:16:57

cathymum hmm, he’s definitely not a cheery FC, he could be seen as a bit creepy!

Viridian Mon 28-Dec-20 21:26:59

Years ago we bought our blind daughter a talking birthday card that sang Happy Birthday when you opened it. Gradually it went very, very out of tune and then started to sing even when closed. It began to drive us all potty. We tore it up and it still sang....... We put it out with the rubbish and it was still singing disconsolately when the bin men came. For all I know it's in landfill somewhere to this day groaning away! But we had such a giggle at it!

Floradora9 Mon 28-Dec-20 21:42:21

Friend could not get his new wireless doorbell to work . He took it over the road to A. who thought he had sorted the problem . Thing was every time A.'s doorbell was rung it sounded in my neighbours house as well .

MamaCaz Mon 28-Dec-20 21:45:00

In our bedroom is an old cupboard (which used to house an emmersion heater). Amongst other things, it is now home to the youngest dgd's toys.
It was quite creepy when one of the musical toys suddenly started singing Russian in the early hours of the morning!

Back in the days when we lived on a boat, many moons ago, we had a TV that started randomly switching itself on and off. Then one day, it started switching channels on its own too.
It was only when we heard giggling from the towpath that we realised that our young sons were out there by the windows with the remote control! grin

grumppa Mon 28-Dec-20 22:09:41

Never forget the fundamental tenet of resistentialism: les choses sont contre nous. Things are against us!

Ailidh Tue 29-Dec-20 07:11:15

I was having problems yesterday with a haunted Christmas tree table.

Just before Christmas, I found the dog trying to abseil off the sofa onto it, and couldn't understand why. I later found half a dog biscuit on it. The dog does nothing with his biscuits except eat them.

So either I opened the sideboard door at the other side of the room, stepped over the dog who turns cartwheels at the thought of a biscuit, and placed it carefully under the tiny tree OR it transported itself there unaided.
I found I preferred the latter option to the thought of me losing my mind/memory.

Then yesterday morning as I finished breakfast, I thought I'd better turn the tree lights on. I found them already on.
So either I clicked through all 8 settings on the battery pack until I came to the one I like, or the same tree/table that attracts dog biscuits to itself had turned on its own lights.
Again, I found I preferred the spooky option to the thought of lapses in my memory.

Not to be cast down today, I made a resolution to be very aware of my movements near the tree so that I didn't forget. I checked the lights were off when I pulled the curtains back, and went for a shower. When I came back, the lights were on.

All I can think is that the battery pack which has a timer to turn the lights off after many hours also times itself to come back on again.

So, I'm not losing my memory.
The treelights are not haunted - but maybe the tree is hungry for dog biscuits though. ??

Moggycuddler Tue 29-Dec-20 09:45:36

He looks more sad than sinister.

Happysexagenarian Tue 29-Dec-20 09:51:42

Our 'Alexa' sometimes responds to something we've said thinking it was an instruction for her. Her strange voice coming from nowhere always makes me jump. We don't use it much so she's probably feeling neglected!

Pammie1 Tue 29-Dec-20 09:53:08

We moved here 12 months ago and were told by neighbours that the house is supposedly haunted. Pretty much renovated the hole house since, with no sign of any ‘activity’ up to abiotic three weeks ago. Since then two TVs have turned on by themselves, including the sky boxes, the remote for one of which was checked in case it had been knocked by accident - that particular tv is set up in our dining room and seldom used. We subsequently found that the batteries in the remote had leaked and the remote was useless. We were sitting in the kitchen one morning last week and the door of the microwave flew open for no reason - went upstairs shortly afterwards and the duvet on the bed I had made before going downstairs was on the floor. In the last couple of days both my partner and myself have smelled a waft of perfume, like someone is walking through the house. Strangely enough, although it’s a bit creepy, neither of us can honestly say we’re scared - it just feels as though someone is trying to make us aware that they’re here. Haven’t really told anyone about it until posting here ass I’m aware of how it sounds !!

Rosyanne Tue 29-Dec-20 09:53:20

Did anyone else see the report of short electrical outages in Scotland that happened every evening around the same time? No electrical fault, a murmuration of starlings landing and taking off from the wires caused them to touch and short out briefly.

Frankie51 Tue 29-Dec-20 09:54:58

My bedroom TV also turns itself on in the middle of the night. We make sure the plug is pulled out now.

b1zzle Tue 29-Dec-20 09:59:59

I've switched Alexa off before going to bed - gone through the usual routines of wishing her goodnight then listened to her response - only to be woken up in the middle of the night by her continuing to play what I'd previously been listening to./

Had I yelled her name with instructions to continue playing it in my sleep?

NannyEm Tue 29-Dec-20 10:02:44

I have a smart TV that randomly turns itself off in the middle of a programme but, more scarily, randomly turns itself on for no apparent reason at all hours of the day and night. I now turn it off at the wall every night. From reading the comments, this seems to be a common problem.

Blinko Tue 29-Dec-20 10:04:20

Pammie1

We moved here 12 months ago and were told by neighbours that the house is supposedly haunted. Pretty much renovated the hole house since, with no sign of any ‘activity’ up to abiotic three weeks ago. Since then two TVs have turned on by themselves, including the sky boxes, the remote for one of which was checked in case it had been knocked by accident - that particular tv is set up in our dining room and seldom used. We subsequently found that the batteries in the remote had leaked and the remote was useless. We were sitting in the kitchen one morning last week and the door of the microwave flew open for no reason - went upstairs shortly afterwards and the duvet on the bed I had made before going downstairs was on the floor. In the last couple of days both my partner and myself have smelled a waft of perfume, like someone is walking through the house. Strangely enough, although it’s a bit creepy, neither of us can honestly say we’re scared - it just feels as though someone is trying to make us aware that they’re here. Haven’t really told anyone about it until posting here ass I’m aware of how it sounds !!

Have you watched the TV programme 'Ghosts'? Worth a look, if not...very funny and it sounds right up your street!

Purpledaffodil Tue 29-Dec-20 10:06:55

Was terrified once by sewing machine starting to sew all by itself. Summoned up courage to investigate and found a dressmaking pin had got inside foot control and was making contact ?