Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Tuesday

(96 Posts)
12Michael Tue 29-Dec-20 06:15:16

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark but dry start here in Brackley this morning , as yet no snow in this part of the UK.
Today , a normal day with the tiering unable to travel to my favourite haunts , as the cafes will be closed .
trying to stay safe by staying in and watching a repetitive of TV programmes.
Take Care,
Mick

Mapleleaf Tue 29-Dec-20 09:13:19

Good morning all,

Woke up to snow here in South Yorkshire but it has turned to rain for the moment.

Had a good day yesterday sorting out two dresser cupboards, rearranging things and throwing out unwanted "stuff". It's amazing how much gathers that "might come in useful" or "might be used one day", but never is, so out it has gone.
I've also discovered that we have rather a lot of candles!! Could start our own shop ??.

Anyway, the cupboards look much tidier now, with everything of type stored together rather than here and there, in containers bought specially for the purpose. So I'm hoping they stay that way.

Today, I might tackle the drawers in the study. They certainly need clearing out.

Beautiful quilt, grandMattie. I wish I had such talent with a needle. My Mum was very skilled, but I've not inherited her skill. I can embroider, but it takes me years to complete something. ?

Well, I hope everyone has a safe day. Take care.

dragonfly46 Tue 29-Dec-20 09:15:30

Well it is snowing and settling here in Leicestershire!

Pittcity Tue 29-Dec-20 09:17:50

Good morning from a cold, grey Colchester.
We slept in late as it was warm in bed and tier 4 means nothing much else to do.
DH has decided to go fishing but is outside nattering with neighbours at the moment. I will take the opportunity to mop the floors while he is out. DS doesn't emerge from his room until lunchtime.
Much love to all xx

Gingster Tue 29-Dec-20 09:18:04

Thanks Marydoll . Yes , I don’t think the lockdown helps as we are together too much! Let’s keep busy ?

Nannytopsy Tue 29-Dec-20 09:27:30

BlueSapphire what a lovely idea from your secret giver! I am watching a pigeon balancing precariously on the feeder, to get at the seeds. They are so clumsy! DH refers to our ever- present pair as Dumb and Dumber.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 29-Dec-20 09:28:59

Good morning Mick and all

No snow, but as Gingster has posted it is very still in our part of Essex.

No plans for today other than portion up the turkey curry to freeze. I was rather weepy after seeing yesterday’s Covid figures, I just hope and pray that the Oxford vaccine is approved and rolled out pretty darn quick.

Keep warm, safe and well folks ???

GrannyGravy13 Tue 29-Dec-20 09:30:32

Beautiful quilt grandMattie you are very clever ??

amselerin Tue 29-Dec-20 09:32:20

Good morning everyone,

I have been following you all for a long time,. You are so warm, friendly and natural.Reading about your daily routines
(about what you cook, where you go, what you see on TV) reminded me of my life in England/Wales. I am now living in a very old town near Hamburg. For those who need to know the value of my house: it`s not worth an awful lot.
If I may, I would like to share a bit of my life with you.
Apologies, if my english is faulty - I do my best.

Have a good day and take care.

Grammaretto Tue 29-Dec-20 09:32:24

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders. We have a winter wonderland but no sign of the deer - not even footprints.
I've been told I must watch Queens Gambit on netflix. Another displacement activity or a reward for when I've filled in a 16 page document to claim a pension. (Made specially difficult due to covid) these are the things you aren't told about when someone dies.angry
On the other hand I had a lovely phonecall from EE who told me I didn't have to do anything. There was nothing to pay and his contract has been stopped.
Whatever you do today, keep cosy.

Mapleleaf Tue 29-Dec-20 09:44:45

Welcome, amselerin.
I have relatives living in the Hamburg area. You are very welcome to post with your news.

annsixty Tue 29-Dec-20 09:49:35

Good morning all from a snow covered Stockport.
It was coming down thick and fast when I first looked out but it has slowed down now.
As it is 3 weeks now since I went out at all it is not going to make any difference to me.
I have had a serious wobble but nothing can be done about it.
My 19 year old GS came off his bike on Sunday morning and is in hospital with head injuries.
He was all set to be moved to a neurology unit some 10 miles away but they decided to wait a few hours under observation and thankfully he is responding to questions and answers logically.
My S is keeping things from me but they are so worried and of course can’t visit him due to COVID and they have several wards full of COVID patients, yet another worry.
Have the best day you can everyone.

GrannyOwl5 Tue 29-Dec-20 09:55:04

Good morning everyone from Kent where it is grey but dry - no snow for us at the moment.

This afternoon we are meeting DD for a socially distance walk along the sea front whilst SIL takes the GSS for a cut-throat game of football in the local park.

Urms have started watching A Place to Call Home; watched three episodes yesterday. Series two onwards is free on Netflix but as they charge for series one I am watching via Uk Tv where it is free. Can recommend it for easy watching.

Hope you all have as good a day as possible. Stay safe

Grandmabatty Tue 29-Dec-20 09:59:58

Good morning All. Welcome to Amselerin oder Guten morgen unt vie gehts? Ich liebe Deutschland. There's a thin coating of snow in Polmont and it's very cold so I expect it will lie. I have nowhere particular to go so I shall coory doon. Lots of tidying went on at Batty Towers yesterday and I felt semi virtuous then lots of eating too which knocked bring virtuous on the head! I had a very long WhatsApp video chat with a friend in the afternoon and that was lovely. Ds has bought himself a new car which will save me trailing through to Stirling and back. I'm pleased he's mobile but I did like being useful. Heigh ho, I'm never happy ?. So a quiet day for me. Perhaps a spot of ironing if I can be bothered. I have a painting to do for an exhibition in aid of a children's charity so I need to get thinking and drawing first. I have no idea what I'm having for dinner. I might make pea and ham soup for lunch and have poached eggs for tea. The world is my oyster! Except I wouldn't thank you for oysters. I am not a fan of sea food. ? To Marydoll and a hearty wow to grandmattie for the gorgeous quilt. Have a good day all.

Grandmadougal Tue 29-Dec-20 10:01:41

Good morning from a very chilly Norfolk but no snow.

A brisk walk in case it does start later but not much else planned. Knitting requests from DD and having just purchased some sparkly wool pattern hunting begins.

Worrying about a family member travelling long distance to day on their own on the train. They shouldn't have travelled there in the first place but no heed was taken but there's was only so much we tried to say to persuade them it wasn't a good idea.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Grandmabatty Tue 29-Dec-20 10:01:53

Just saw your news Annsixty. I'm so sorry for you and your family. You must be worried sick. ?

Grandmadougal Tue 29-Dec-20 10:04:47

annsixty just read your post, so sorry about your grandson. I think it is one of the hardest things that we cannot visit in hospital at such crucial times. Hope things improve for him and you.

Auntieflo Tue 29-Dec-20 10:08:29

Good morning Mick, Annie, and all, from a dull, chilly bit of Berks. At least there is no frost this morning.
I am feeling very slothful, and can't get motivated to move, but will in a minute.
A friend is going to doorstep this afternoon, and leave some more books. Lovely to have a few in reserve. Knitting is going well, but any sort of effort to do anything in the least bit strenuous is not present.
My DH is another, who this last year has aged an awful lot, and like Marydoll, and Ginster, I worry about him. He has been my rock and I can't imagine him any other way to be honest. At the moment, he is upstairs singing, while he makes the bed. ?
GrandMattie, your quilt, both sides, is another beautiful example of your handiwork.

I shall have to go and pootle in the kitchen and decide what to do with the remains of the five bird roast. Yesterday we sort of grazed and really enjoyed not having to do a 'proper' meal.

Grammaretto. Good luck with the form filling.
To all who are having a difficult time, sending you best wishes and a gentle {{{hug}}}
Have a good day one and all.

Gelisajams Tue 29-Dec-20 10:12:29

A late good morning where it is frosty with pretty patterns on the roof of the car. DH and I have been trying to name the 27 in the EU. We got there eventually. We forgot Iceland. Then we moved to naming American States. Oh dear our ignorance showed!
Love your quilt gM you are one talented lady.
Annsixty ?
Lots of struggles this morning. Take care and stay safe everyone ?

MawBe Tue 29-Dec-20 10:13:36

Good morning from N Bucks where the sun has just broken through and it is looking lovely, if cold.
Welcome Amselerin while working I used the visit the area around Hamburg regularly, with friends in Mölln , Büchen and Lauenburg .
Today I must watch the film “Twelve Monkeys” for tomorrow’s film course. It is absolutely not my type of thing - dystopian/ sci-fi films are the sort of thing I would go out of my way to avoid hmm
I’ve been putting it off and enjoying “Bridgerton” instead.
Annsixty I am so very sorry to hear your latest news, all I can say is keep strong and trust in the skill and compassionate care of those caring for your GS.
Wishing you all a gentle day.

Nannytopsy Tue 29-Dec-20 10:23:04

Just seen your news Annsixty. It does sound as if there has been some improvement in your GS’s condition. Wishing him and you the very best.

Susan56 Tue 29-Dec-20 10:23:32

A late good morning from Shropshire.There was snow when I looked out at 1am but raining now.

I set myself a challenge to walk 100 miles a month this year.My rheumatologist had suggested walking would be good for me!I completed this months miles yesterday.It has been a challenge at times.I will addd up my total and post on New Years Day.Bet you can’t wait?

We enjoy the Monday night quizzes too.We start with House of Games.If you google Only Connect there are lots of walls you can try.

To all worried about partners and loved ones?

Have a good day all.

CherryCezzy Tue 29-Dec-20 10:24:36

Good morning everyone. Grey and chilly, no snow, here in the Gower, not as chilly as it is for you though Marydoll, brr!

We need to brave a shop today ? but I am very nervous about it. Some missing cupboard items that it's difficult to do without. If my WP could go on his own I'd feel a little more comfortable but, of course, the risk to me of being left alone that amount of time is probably as high, if not higher than going with him. It's a catch 22 ?.

That's a work of art grandMattie, you are talented indeed ?

Sending positive vibes to Farview and to you for your DGS annsixty flowers

Welcome amselerin ? and any other new GNs I might have missed.

Stay safe and cosy everybody ❤️

Taichinan Tue 29-Dec-20 10:25:59

Good morning all. Another sunny winter's day on the Angus coast. There's plenty of snow on the hills, but none down here. Your patchwork is amazing Grandmattie. So many of you are so talented. I keep promising myself that I'll get my paints out again and have a dabble .........
I'm finding this lockdown unexpectedly hard, particularly I suppose after having had my son with me briefly at Christmas with all the rush of preparation leading up to that. Giant anti-climax! At 79, I should be in the next batch to be vaccinated, but I haven't heard anything yet. But roll on! The news about the rapidly rising number of cases is so worrying and depressing.
My only task today is to post off DGD1's 17th Birthday card and transfer money into her account. How I wish I could be with her. From a tiny scrap in an incubator she has grown into a beautiful young lady! It doesn't take long, does it!
I feel so sorry for all of you with worries about your DH's health -worrying about someone close to you is so much worse than being ill yourself. Just be the strong ladies you are and pour all your love and strength into him. ??
Sorry I'm not managing to be upbeat or cheerful today. Maybe tomorrow.
???

Maggiemaybe Tue 29-Dec-20 10:26:13

Welcome, Amselerin. I’d love to hear news from your area. I lived in Hamburg for two years and it’s very dear to my heart. We still have friends there so visit every few years. This year’s planned trip didn’t happen, of course.

thanks to all struggling today.

harrigran Tue 29-Dec-20 10:28:34

Good morning from the NE where it is raining at present.
Welcome amselerin, lovely to hear from you. My sister lives in Hamburg.
Had a 1 hour 45 minute chat with my sister on Skype, she is holding up quite well for being so recently widowed.
I threw the turkey away yesterday and we are going to have a simple vegetarian meal today.
Highlight of the day is to check grocery order for tomorrow and add anything we may need, should take all of 15 minutes.
Stay safe and snug,