Gransnet forums

Chat

Hello from the North Island of New Zealand

(30 Posts)
Pussanne Tue 29-Dec-20 21:10:30

I could not find an existing topic to introduce myself so here I am. Back in the early 2000s Was a member of several Forums and a Moderator in one of them. It's been a few years now since I was active in most.
Anyway, I'm a great grand mother of... lordy I forget how many but about 12.
Both my Maternal and Paternal grandparents were born in England as were my great grandparents, so I feel very close to England.
I'm off now to read some of your topics and see where I might 'fit in'

NanKate Tue 29-Dec-20 21:32:31

Welcome Pussanne.

Do join us on the Good Morning thread run by Mick. It’s very friendly we usually greet each other, say what the weather is like where we live and what we are up to that day. Don’t worry if you come on the thread late because of where you live, there will always be someone about.

Mick kicks it all off at about 6.30 am and then we all follow him.

See you there.

tanith Tue 29-Dec-20 21:33:41

Welcome Pussanne everyone usually finds threads that interest them just jump right on in.

GrandmaKT Tue 29-Dec-20 22:05:00

Welcome Pussanne.
I have strong links with New Zealand as our youngest son lives in Wellington with his Kiwi partner, our GS and another on the way!
We have visited 4 times and should have been heading out there again soon for their wedding at Hot Water Beach in February, but because of the pandemic this has been put back a year,
Which areas of the UK do you have links with? Do you still have family living here?

Jaxjacky Tue 29-Dec-20 22:09:19

Welcome Pussanne the more the merrier.

Grammaretto Tue 29-Dec-20 22:12:43

Hello Pussanne! I also have a DS in Wellington.
I am half Kiwi myself and used to live there. It's a small world.
I love that you have lost count of your DGGC grin
Enjoy the threads.

Callistemon Tue 29-Dec-20 22:42:13

Whereabouts are you Pussanne (you don't have to say, of course!).

We visited North Island last year but there was no time to go to South Island so that was on the cards for this year.
Of course, it didn't happen.

Esspee Tue 29-Dec-20 22:50:52

Welcome Pussanne.
Used to live in Wanganui myself. How I wish I was there right now.

EllanVannin Tue 29-Dec-20 23:03:26

I too have links/ connections with New Zealand. My GF had re-married, producing more children in his second marriage with one son living in NZ. I've had contact in the past but sadly lost the new address to which my relatives moved to.
One relative is buried at North Shore Memorial Park in Auckland. It's a large family so there are many offsprings.

grannyactivist Wed 30-Dec-20 01:21:02

Hello and welcome Pussanne. I'm hardly on GN of late as I've been ill/busy sometimes both at the same time smile.

My daughter and her family live near the Waitakere Ranges and I have visited NZ twice, once when my granddaughter was born and again for her second birthday. Last year they visited us for a month and it was wonderful to have my little grandchildren all together.

HurdyGurdy Wed 30-Dec-20 01:47:41

Hello Pussanne, and welcome back to the world of fora.

I have an old school friend (now just Facebook friends) who lives in Napier. It's always "one of these days" that I will go and visit. Definitely not in the immediate future, sadly!

absent Wed 30-Dec-20 07:23:42

Hi, I have lived in the Top of the South for a little over seven years. I am a Brit but came here to be with my daughter and grandchildren. Gransnet can be fun, joyful, irritating, informative and, in my opinion, sometimes a bit boring. It is slightly tricky to keep in tune because of the huge time difference but, if you have something worth saying, then say it and other Gransnetters will pick it up when they wake up in the morning,

BlueBelle Wed 30-Dec-20 07:23:50

Welcome Pussanne
Son and family outside Auckland for 24 years
Cousins in various places in north island after great aunt moved over there before WW1 around 1910 I only met her once
Best friend moved to Wellington about 6 years ago
Another good friend in Christchurch moved about 20 years ago
So lots of ties with NZ
Blimey 12 GREAT grandkids is a lot

Nezumi65 Wed 30-Dec-20 07:25:20

Hi Pussane

My paternal grandmother was a kiwi & a lot of my family have lived there at various times. I spent a summer (NZ winter!) working in Dannevirke smile

Such a beautiful country.

Gwyneth Wed 30-Dec-20 08:52:28

Welcome Pussanne. My niece moved to New Zealand last October and it’s lovely to have updates and photos from her about your beautiful country.

Hetty58 Wed 30-Dec-20 09:00:45

A big welcome from Plague Island!

We could really do with some of your lovely weather here in the UK. My son lives there and is spending time on the beach. I wish I could join him!

Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Dec-20 09:06:40

I love hearing from people around the world. They can often give us a different perspective on life and have experiences that we may not have had.

Welcome?

Lewie Wed 30-Dec-20 09:15:51

Welcome Pussanne
We have a niece living in NZ - and we were due to be on a cruise around NZ this month, something that I have been so looking forward to, but alas thanks to Covid not meant to be. Maybe next year! smile

Sparklefizz Wed 30-Dec-20 10:07:12

Hi Pussanne (love your name) and welcome. smile

Redhead56 Wed 30-Dec-20 10:53:13

Welcoming you what a gorgeous part of the world you live. Hope you enjoy this sight it's funny and a comfort at times.

I watched a chef on tv Annabel Langbein. Her food was interesting and refreshing and the area she lived is stunning. Enjoy your reading.

Alishka Wed 30-Dec-20 20:10:41

Hello!

Esspee Thu 31-Dec-20 07:37:23

Happy New Year Pussanne and all our other Antipodean members.
2021 has to be better than this awful 2020.
Do think of us while you enjoy a normal New Year’s Day with friends and family while we stay at home at the virus rages.
Wish we had a government like yours.

BradfordLass73 Thu 31-Dec-20 07:45:39

Kia ora Pussanne Nice to meet you

I had no idea we had so many GNetters with connections to Aotearoa. I too live near the Waitakere Ranges grannyactivist though I spent the early 70s in Dunedin.
I hope you're feeling better, I know you haven't been at all well.

Happy New Year to you all.

Hari Tau Hou ki a koutou katoa.

(that's yer actual Maori, ducky - as Julian and Sandy would say grin)

annodomini Thu 31-Dec-20 08:26:12

Welcome, Pussanne. Exactly 20 years ago, I saw in the New Year in Christchurch. It rained all day - the only rain I saw during that memorable stay with my sister. I have such happy memories of both Islands, which I've visited during the last 20 years. Happy New Year to all our friends in Aotearoa.

mokryna Thu 31-Dec-20 08:38:27

Welcome pussanne, I haven’t visited your island yet but it is on my list. 12 great grandchildren how lovely.