Gransnet forums

Chat

Hello from the North Island of New Zealand

(31 Posts)
Pussanne Tue 29-Dec-20 21:10:30

I could not find an existing topic to introduce myself so here I am. Back in the early 2000s Was a member of several Forums and a Moderator in one of them. It's been a few years now since I was active in most.
Anyway, I'm a great grand mother of... lordy I forget how many but about 12.
Both my Maternal and Paternal grandparents were born in England as were my great grandparents, so I feel very close to England.
I'm off now to read some of your topics and see where I might 'fit in'

Ellianne Thu 31-Dec-20 09:42:28

Happy new year to you Pussanne!

I've just had photos of family enjoying their celebrations in Nelson and Blenheim. I'm so pleased they can all meet up and have a good time.

Beautiful country.

Gajahgran Thu 31-Dec-20 09:45:19

Hello Pusanne, I have a sister in New Zealand in Auckland. We have so many wonderful memories of holidays in both the North and South Island. Such a lovely place to live.

Pussanne Fri 01-Jan-21 09:17:02

Thank you everyone who answered my post! We are lucky to have a woman Prime Minister who knows how to act fast in an emergency; men would hum and hah about the loss of business etc and no doubt we would all still be in lockdown
So I am so sorry for all of you who live in the UK are struggling with this Worldwide virus. We still have cases coming to our Border from those who have been repatriated and all are in Managed Isolation.
Our weather is topsy turvey this summer as a different weather pattern to normal is occurring. I'll catch up as I can so a Better and Safe New Year to all!

Ellianne Fri 01-Jan-21 09:52:56

How is your economy faring Pussanne? Without all the tourists visiting, that must be a real blow for the country?
Yes, I hear it was 5 degrees on Christmas Eve in NZ. Brrr. My family sent photos of snow and they are on the coast! Crazy!

GrandmaKT Fri 01-Jan-21 20:51:44

I get daily news updates from Radio NZ. Every day there are a handful of positive Covid cases in isolation - 18 one day last week. Remember that there are very few flights coming into NZ, only returning Kiwis are allowed. I know it will be only a drop in the ocean compared to the tens of thousands of cases we have daily, but it does make me wonder how many cases are coming into the UK on flights every day. Moreover, what new mutations are amongst them - such as the newly discovered South African strain?