Gransnet forums

Chat

NY resolutions

(59 Posts)
grandMattie Thu 31-Dec-20 11:20:38

Do you make them?
I’ve always thought they were pointless as one always breaks them. So, no, I don’t make any.

Madwoman11 Fri 01-Jan-21 11:49:05

That sounds a great way to get exercise during the winter months helgawills. I'm tempted to get one

eazybee Fri 01-Jan-21 11:53:03

Master my mobile phone.
I know I don't use it properly because unfortunately I don't own a teenager any more.

Theoddbird Fri 01-Jan-21 11:54:27

I want to craft something every day. I will sit and sew this afternoon.

sandelf Fri 01-Jan-21 11:54:28

No more than I make daily resolutions. Which I do most mornings!

Allegretto Fri 01-Jan-21 11:58:22

I don’t make NYRs but I am resolved this year, once I’ve had my vaccination, to have as much fun as I can, to see friends and family as much as I (and they) want and, where possible, not to do things I don’t want to do.

Shinamae Fri 01-Jan-21 11:59:40

An extra walk with the dog every day, starting today and it’s bloody freezing ??

EmilyHarburn Fri 01-Jan-21 12:08:40

Gwenisgreat1 Your DH may have very little saliva so will have a dry mouth. Also his swallowing reflex may be starting to go down hill. Just serve soup and scrambled egg and ice cream he should be fine. don't offer what you are eating, assume he cannot manage it. A glass for sherry as an aperitif before the main meal for you both might go down a treat.

Mollygo Fri 01-Jan-21 12:13:36

Thanks for the reminder Helgawills Used it a lot when the GC came daily but I’d forgotten about it.

timetogo2016 Fri 01-Jan-21 12:20:36

Can`t see the point tbh.

Scentia Fri 01-Jan-21 12:26:51

I make one every year, I
like to start afresh each year and there is always something want to change!
I generally stick to them unless it involves losing weight??

Buttercup1954 Fri 01-Jan-21 12:36:28

Love making them although more like a plan than a resolution.
1. To listen to more music
2. Smile at people more
3. Laugh out loud at something everyday
And the usual
1. Walk more and get more fresh air
2. Lose weight
3. Travel more

Grannynannywanny Fri 01-Jan-21 12:40:37

New Year message I received from a friend. I hope it gives you a laugh as well.

crazygranny Fri 01-Jan-21 12:49:05

Now that I have reached my 70th year and the time ahead is likely limited I have vowed to make this and every other year, month, week and day count in whatever way I can.
MAKE IT COUNT! is my resolution from now on.

moggie57 Fri 01-Jan-21 12:51:04

eat less .......walk more ....and ??? visit more as soon as we out of tier 4

grandtanteJE65 Fri 01-Jan-21 13:43:24

I do so rather half-heartedly, as I tend not to continue with them once January is over.

However, this year we have resolved to get some of the decorating and other work the house needs done.

Let¨s see how that turns out.

Niochorio Fri 01-Jan-21 14:49:09

I think I will call them plans and hopes rather than resolutions. Everything achieved will be a bonus, so here we go with my list.
1. Read at least 50 books.
2. Eat healthily whenever posssible.
3. Lose some weight.
4. More walking.
5. Count my blessings everyday.
6. Complete the beautiful Elizabeth Bradley tapestry I received for Christmas.
7.See family and friends as much as possible when allowed.
8. Learn to cook new recipes.
That should keep me going for now. Wish me luck.

aonk Fri 01-Jan-21 15:46:45

My DH and I have resolved to do the Joe Wicks workout for Seniors everyday to try to keep flexible.

pamdixon Fri 01-Jan-21 15:48:43

This morning I told my oh that his New Year's Resolution was to help me more - ie tidying up the kitchen, emptying the dishwasher, washing up, putting out the rubbish etc.
Just had beef for lunch and he's been snoring in a chair ever since (he had lots of wine for lunch).
We're off to a cracking start with the new resolutions!!

GrannyRose15 Fri 01-Jan-21 15:49:21

I'm going to lose a quarter of my body weight by the end of the year. Now I've put it in writing I can't go back on it, can I?

SuzannahM Fri 01-Jan-21 16:15:31

I don't do resolutions but do find this a good time of year to assess what I am doing and what I want to do. Maybe because the first week of the year I usually do very little apart from go for walks and generally doss. I often think of things that I had forgotten I was going to do, or didn't have time to do, and make lists. The lists are just for pondering over the year, not a to-do list, and every now and again something on the list will strike a chord and give me a new interest,

Mollygo Fri 01-Jan-21 16:15:44

Sounds like a target! Good luck with that GrannyRose15. ?

BlueSapphire Fri 01-Jan-21 16:25:14

Don't normally make any, but I am going to try and be much more positive this year. I am normally a glass half empty person, but from now on I shall try to keep my glass full and count my blessings.

Jaffacake2 Fri 01-Jan-21 16:32:18

Live in the moment rather than analysing the past and worrying about the future.

Alioop Fri 01-Jan-21 16:36:14

Nope, haven't done for years. Haven't got the will power to keep them going

shirleyhick Fri 01-Jan-21 19:57:47

Never make any then I have none to break