Gransnet forums

Chat

NY resolutions

(58 Posts)
grandMattie Thu 31-Dec-20 11:20:38

Do you make them?
I’ve always thought they were pointless as one always breaks them. So, no, I don’t make any.

BlueSky Thu 31-Dec-20 11:31:42

I’m already doing it all so ...no!

Calendargirl Thu 31-Dec-20 11:38:02

I resolved to re-join my local library after many years not bothering to borrow any books. This was last year.

Soooo pleased I did. Have read so many books in lockdown, reserving ones I fancied, click and collect was available to pick them up.

One of my most successful resolutions.

Charleygirl5 Thu 31-Dec-20 11:40:33

I do not bother

Kalu Thu 31-Dec-20 11:44:03

I have nothing to resolve!

Bathsheba Thu 31-Dec-20 11:48:46

Experience has taught me there’s little point ?

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 31-Dec-20 11:52:06

Yes, I shall refuse to pander to DH's refusal to eat food!! I'm worn out with it. He's old enough to make up his mind. I have told him he will and up in hospital being PEG fed

EllanVannin Thu 31-Dec-20 11:58:45

Walk more before I seize up altogether.

Grandmabatty Thu 31-Dec-20 12:08:18

I'm going to aim to walk more and be more careful with my diet but not til winter has gone! The beginning of March will do. ?

Kalu Thu 31-Dec-20 12:12:51

Quite right Gwen. He is a big boy and you are not his mother. ??

I must resolve to walk more too....forgot about that one. ?

Sarnia Thu 31-Dec-20 12:15:52

Grandmabatty

I'm going to aim to walk more and be more careful with my diet but not til winter has gone! The beginning of March will do. ?

My elderly GP, years ago, didn't agree with dieting through the winter months, which was a great excuse to hide behind.

Scribbles Thu 31-Dec-20 12:21:20

The last one I made was sometime in the 1980s and I've kept it. What was it? I resolved never to make another new year resolution!

Witzend Thu 31-Dec-20 12:30:34

I stopped making any years ago. Last was probably when I vowed to stop leaving weekend homework until Sunday evening - that didn’t last long either.

I avoid any reading matter concerning veganuary, diet-January, gym-January, etc. Thoughts of eating less and exercising a bit more are reserved for longer days when the crocuses at least are out, and spring really is on the way.

helgawills Thu 31-Dec-20 13:11:45

Made a resolution last year with my husband, to use our wii sports resort regularly. Great way to have fun together and improve skills. Gets quite competitive. Daughter and partner joined in this Christmas. All had fun together. There's bowling, frisbee, archery, golf, cycling, kayaking, all sorts. Single player options are available.

GillT57 Thu 31-Dec-20 13:56:20

Apart from making a walk a daily event, rather than when I feel like it, no, I won't be making any. Last year, our joint resolution was to travel more while we could, that went well didn't it!

gillgran Fri 01-Jan-21 10:55:31

No, I don't make any NYR nowadays.
I made one very good one that I was able to keep, many years ago. That was to not take more (FOC) plastic carrier bags from shops than I could re-use, either for shopping or as bin-bags.
That stood me in good stead when it was advised/charging started/enforced.

Neilspurgeon0 Fri 01-Jan-21 10:58:02

Never, completely pointless

Catlover21 Fri 01-Jan-21 11:07:03

LOL

Mumsyface Fri 01-Jan-21 11:08:52

I don’t usually, for all the reasons already stated by others above. However, this year I have resolved to get out and about more...!

Cambia Fri 01-Jan-21 11:11:59

Absolutely love making them! It’s like having a new school notebook with a clean page. Always on the list is two or three alcohol free days per week or fifteen alcohol free days per month. This one always fails but my intentions are good.

Next is fifteen spend free days per month....the way round this is to put everything in the Amazon basket and only order once a week!

Ones I do usually stick to are half an hour of walking every day, half an hour of reading every day and half an hour of language learning every day!

I do love a list though!

henetha Fri 01-Jan-21 11:17:52

None of the usual stuff. But I have made a plan in my head to try to stave off the usual January blues.
I am going to TRY to learn to play the ukelele. My son has loaned me one. Lots of instructions on youTube.
I am going to paint a picture of a bird of some sort. I miss my painting and am determined to get back to it.
I WILL tidy the porch. I've been meaning to for ages.
If I achieve just one of these I'll be pleased.

PamelaJ1 Fri 01-Jan-21 11:19:08

This year I have made 2, I don’t usually bother.
1. Learn to use my new glue gun.
2. Only wear a bra when I need to.

Moggycuddler Fri 01-Jan-21 11:20:54

Not really. Nothing important in my life that I need to resolve. Maybe I'd like to try to make time to revisit an old hobby - painting. I've still got a couple of canvas boards and some paints around somewhere. But no big deal.

Rigmor Fri 01-Jan-21 11:30:58

I like making them, try to set myself goals and achievements that way my life isn’t so boring and empty. Last year decided to go veggie and still with it, also to lose weight and lost a stone although target was higher. So this year I m aiming for another stone and to do yoga/Pilates at least four times a week as my joints are just so stiff, I started this last week hopefully I’ll get there..happy new year all ?

Happysexagenarian Fri 01-Jan-21 11:34:20

No. I can never keep to them so I don't make them.