Gransnet forums

Chat

NY resolutions

(59 Posts)
grandMattie Thu 31-Dec-20 11:20:38

Do you make them?
I’ve always thought they were pointless as one always breaks them. So, no, I don’t make any.

CatterySlave1 Fri 01-Jan-21 20:13:57

I don’t like all the pressure the media have always spun us about NY resolutions and feel that it’s hardly any wonder that people set unrealistic goals that they throw themselves into and then wonder why they fail. No planning or preparation. However I’ve got nothing against both naming goals to achieve rather than being vague (ie loose a stone rather than be healthy), working on steps to achieve that and going for it. I think if you have an achievable goals and route to get there then you’re much more likely to actually do it and reach it, rather than vague hopes and one day dreams. So I’m all for using the NY to evaluate life and stock-take, but then if you’re serious you need to do some proper work to make those changes or you’ll fail before you’ve really started.

Skweek1 Fri 01-Jan-21 20:28:37

To become more mindful, tidier, study the subjects I wish to master, be kinder to my loved ones, try to get my garden sorted and declutter the house completely. As soon as the outside temperature becomes more temperate, go for a healthy daily walk, (currently suffering from a lot of pain in my knee and lower leg, so can't go anywhere without my sticks - have been hoping to take a walking/hiking holiday for the last couple of years, but broke my hip last May). And by the end of 2021 hope to be financially a lot more comfortably off. But I expect all my plans will probably come to naught. For all that, one of these years, I will achieve my resolutions and it's comforting to have aims and ambitions to strive towards.

threexnanny Sat 02-Jan-21 10:03:40

I think Spring is a better time for making resolutions, not during this cold, gloomy weather. Trying to stay positive and taking a day at a time is about all I can manage at the moment. In answer to the question - no, not at new year.

Maggiemaybe Sat 02-Jan-21 10:52:51

I usually do make a resolution, and tend to stick with it. Last year was doing regular exercise, which I managed to stick to - it was easier to do once GN introduced me to Fabulous Fifties on YouTube. The year before it was reading 50 books, also achieved.

It hadn’t crossed my mind this year, probably because we’ve all got challenges enough now. I’ll just carry on with the two above.

Lettice Sat 02-Jan-21 18:30:38

Thought I would just change the date on the list (same list) that has kept me going over the last five or so years. Who knows, one of them might click sometime. And it is quick and easy to change 20 to 21.

lemongrove Sat 02-Jan-21 18:42:10

No, I never make any NY resolutions, but I do decide at random times of the year to either do something more or not to do something.It seems better that way, more self imposed than the authoritarian NY ‘everybody does it’ sort of thing.

Witzend Sat 02-Jan-21 23:17:40

One I’d never have to make is the reading fifty books a year! I can read 2 a week easily, but then that’s largely because I’m congenitally lazy, so curling up on the sofa with a cup of tea and a good book beats housework any day.

Georgesgran Sun 03-Jan-21 11:41:33

I’m going to give up still wine!
Going onto fizzy and gin. Fewer calories, so might help with my attempt to lose weight.