Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday ( New Years Day )

(87 Posts)
12Michael Fri 01-Jan-21 06:12:49

Good Morning Everyone, and Happy New Year .
Its still dark in Brackley but cold and dry outside , jobs today change calendars ,and year planner.
Should be a quiet day ,maybe shop to get a paper , and some items .
looking forward and hoping 2021 , sees an end to current things , so I can watch my cycling , when the events should be in the year .
Take Care ,
Mick

Ashcombe Fri 01-Jan-21 06:19:46

Happy New Year to you all from Torbay, where we are enduring the coldest weather I’ve ever known in the nine years that I’ve lived here! Minus two degrees is rare in our little corner of the UK.

I didn’t intend to see in the New Year but folks with fireworks and the cruise ships anchored in Torbay had other ideas as they all sounded their horns at midnight! It was actually a rather heartwarming sound. Various ships have spent time here since cruises ceased in the Spring. They are regarded with not a little affection by locals, especially since crews have kindly brought surplus food from their vessels to donate to our homeless charities. This generous gesture was rewarded by a collection of Christmas presents being sent from the shore to the crew, some of whom haven’t been home for many months.

All the best to you all. Stay safe and warm! ?????

Pantglas2 Fri 01-Jan-21 06:25:20

Happy New Year Mick and all who follow ??

I won’t be alone in wishing us all a better one than what we’ve had and I’m aware that some of you have had a really tough time so here’s to good days ahead x

I’m doing the full turkey rigmarole for late afternoon seeing as I got away lightly at Christmas with DD and SIL cooking my goose ?....as it were!

So, chamberpot to start .....then some Buck’s Fizz with breakfast toast (sourdough to use up) then ring around family with greetings for a good year.

Stay safe everyone and thank you for your loveliness ?

grandMattie Fri 01-Jan-21 06:28:16

A very Happy New Year to al the GMers from a dark, overcast E Kent.
May 2021 proceed with daily improvements, vaccinations, freedom and health. May we all have a peaceful, healthy, happy year. We survived 2020, we shall do so again!
My darling DS2 is coming today. We haven’t seen him for months as he has been protecting us; CV19 is rife in his factory. He finished his shift on several, and has seen no one since then so he could see us. My heart will be full to see my most precious child again.
Thank you to everyone who have been so supportive during my wonky times. You are the BEST.
May good health and peace follow you today, and all year. Stay safe X

Gagagran Fri 01-Jan-21 06:38:50

Good Morning and A Happy New Year Mick , Ashcombe and all to follow!

It does feel a bit odd saying that after the year we have just finished with but we must keep positive and hopeful.

No noise round here last night and we followed our usual practice and went to bed early. I never enjoyed N.Y. Eve, when young, finding it all a bit false and sad and never enjoying the kissing rounds that seemed to be compulsory. Still a bit of a Grinch in that regard!

Another day of not much on the cards. The new calendars are up and my new daily journal is ready to be filled. I have kept a daily record since 1957 and have boxes full of them ready for posterity. My secrets are within!

Hope we can all stay safe and warm and endure for however long it takes to find some sort of normality. Kind thoughts and best regards to all those with burdens, sadness, health worries or just needing to know that someone cares. sunshine

aggie Fri 01-Jan-21 07:15:02

Good Morning all, and a Happy New Year ,
Dark and cold so far this morning , I didn’t day up for the Bells , no one else seems to be stirring in the street so they must all have seen in the New Year,
As has been said , wishes for a better year with health and peace of mind to us all

CherryCezzy Fri 01-Jan-21 07:21:57

Good morning Mick, Ashcombe, Pantglas, grandMattie, Gagagran and all the goodmorningers to follow.
Brr, it's cold in the Gower this morning, where's the shivering emoji when you need it.

Well, my WP will have a quiet birthday this year. He wasn't his usual cheerful best this new year's Eve - in realisation I think that this birthday will lack a party atmosphere. I know, since I know the man he is (once he wakes up) he'll still enjoy his day. As for his sister (who lives miles away from us in Norfolk) it's anyone's guess but he'll make her laugh when he speaks to her later, he always does ?
We will celebrate with a nice meal as I'm cooking his favourite, a lamb recipe passed down to me from my mother who had it passed down to her by her grandmother ?

Enjoy your visit from your DS grandMattie and I hope your new diary gets filled with loveliness Gagagran.

Thank you for your well wishes yesterday Susan and your loving thoughts Auntieflo. Sorry Grandmafrench I didn't mean to make you cry x

Happy New Year everyone (it surely must be better than 2020 the last one). May it bring love, laughter, peace, health and happiness.

Stay safe, warm and cosy and be kind to yourselves everyone ❤️

Bellasnana Fri 01-Jan-21 07:30:30

Good morning and ‘White Rabbits’ from Malta where it is a bright day for this first of the year.

Wishing you all a much better year than the last one, however it pans out it’s good we have each other on this lovely thread to share our joys and sorrows.

No plans for me except to do the ironing which I should have done yesterday.grin

Enjoy your day all and stay safe.☀️

Oldbutstilluseful Fri 01-Jan-21 07:36:59

Happy New Year to all you marvellous, brave, cope with anything people. Your resilience in spite of everything has been inspiring, thank you. May you all have good health and happiness in 2021.

I’m off to a good start, my support bubble daughter who has been so careful yesterday tested positive, so I’m isolating until Friday with everything crossed!

NanKate Fri 01-Jan-21 07:38:01

Good morning Mick and All

HNY folks it can only get better. ?

Thank you Ashcombe for the beautiful words.

Mick you are waiting for the cycling like I (and Bellasnana) are waiting for the resumption of the tennis.

The many things I have learned over the past year are the importance of family, friends, my lovely neighbours, walking in the countryside, my Kindle, food deliveries, Zoom, my IPad and YOUR company. ? Many thanks GMers. ? Kate.

cornergran Fri 01-Jan-21 07:39:26

Morning Mick, morning All from a dark, cold, frosty corner of Somerset. Listened to local fireworks tucked up in bed. Something comforting about the familiarity of it, of course we’ve no pets for the noise to upset. Hope for a walk later, time for the rest of the decorations to be packed away. Happy birthday wishes to your WP cherry, delighted you’ll be seeing your son grandMattie, should have a walk with one of ours tomorrow. These things keep us going. Wishing you all better things as this new year unfolds. Take care.

Scentia Fri 01-Jan-21 07:40:24

Good Morning all from East Staffordshire where it is still dark and feels cold ?
Happy Birthday to Mr Cherry ?
Gaga I envy your commitment to write a journal for so many years, I would think that will make good reading in years to come for someone.
Today I am going to have a play with my new sewing machine and use up the material from all the clothes that seem to have shrunk over the last year!!!
I always make a NY resolution and this year will be no different, I will lose a bit of weight, I don’t have that much to lose but definitely more than I had to lose last year?
It was a resolution 20 or so years ago that saw me become a vegan and I kept that one ok!! It is society’s fault I have got a bit chunky as there are so many vegan foods lately I feel I have to try them all, for research purposes of course!!!
I do hope that all of you who are not 100% for whatever reason feel a surge of optimism this morning and can find your elusive smiles once more.❤️❤️❤️❤️

brook2704 Fri 01-Jan-21 07:40:28

Good morning everyone and a very Happy New Year from Inverness. We didn’t stay up but we had a lovely evening catching up with TV and with a generous G&T and nibbles.
Today nothing but a walk planned and salmon en croute for dinner.
What an achievement gagagran with all those journals completed since 1957 - well done, I’m sure they’ll be treasured for years to come ..
Hope you enjoy your day with your DS grandMattie I’m sure you will ?
Hope your WP enjoys his day cherry!
Take care everyone whatever the day brings ?

Beechnut Fri 01-Jan-21 07:49:34

Wishing you all a Happy New Year from a very frosty Severnside.

I woke earlier but my eyes needed more resting this morning.
My daughter came over last night and we had a few drinks shall we say ?and plenty of laughing.

I’ve very much appreciated your company over the last year as I’ve wobbled and braved my days. Xx ?

Bodach Fri 01-Jan-21 07:51:05

Bliadhna Mhath Ur, agus Slainte Mhath!

kittylester Fri 01-Jan-21 07:51:19

Good morning all from an extremely cold North Leicestershire.

Not a lot on the agenda, again, today. But, I have been asked to provide smoked salmon kedgeree for brunch,

Thank you all for the weather reports and chat every morning.

Happy New Year!!

Urmstongran Fri 01-Jan-21 07:51:48

Good morning everyone from South Manchester where it’s milder with no snow! I had a malt whisky around 8pm, my Horlicks at 10pm and bed by 11pm. I recall hearing a few fireworks but I was sleepy enough not to be aroused (ooh, Matron!).

May I echo your sentiments grandMattie as you have said everything far more eloquently than I could? Hope you have a wonderful day with your boy.

My stepfather is joining us this afternoon and it will be good to eat together, a change of four walls for him and share a wee dram or two in the process.

Hope NYD is good to us all. Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

Marydoll Fri 01-Jan-21 07:53:55

Happy New Year from a very chilly Glasgow, to all my GoodMorning friends and a special hello to the many who lurk and read, but don't post! Today is a perfect opportunity to do so.
I particularly wanted to thank all those who have shown me exceptional kindness in a very difficult year.

After a day in bed yesterday, I feel a bit better and got up late afternoon to find my DH, without prompting, had cleaned the house, ? which I usually do on Hogmanay! I hope this is his new year resolution!

A quiet and gentle day for us. I had to smile when I saw the time of Mick's post. In the past, I would be going to bed at that time!

Take care all and if you manage to spend time with your family, even better!

Beechnut Fri 01-Jan-21 07:56:56

Wishing MrCherry a Happy Birthday ??

Juliet27 Fri 01-Jan-21 08:06:37

Now I've found what a heartwarming place this is I look in each morning for inspiration and comfort even if I don't add much. So interesting Ashcombe to read about the poor cruise ship crews - not lockdown sufferers I'd considered, but it sounds as though a good community spirit has involved them. I've not seen the New Year in for many a year but a surprising amount of fireworks did ensure I knew when 2021 had arrived. Luckily the noise doesn't bother the dog at all. I do hope it's a better year for all.

Viridian Fri 01-Jan-21 08:12:39

Blydhen Nowyhd Da from a lovely cold south Cornwall, where the sky is icy pale blue. Like you Ashcombe I heard fireworks and ship hooters last night. It was comforting. Also one or two revellers in the town centre, but they passed by quickly. So strange to reflect that this time last year we had no idea about the virus. We know that 2021 will be better in so many ways, eventually, and can look forward now. Thank you for your friendship and kindness this year. I would hug you all if I could. X

Urmstongran Fri 01-Jan-21 08:12:46

Hey Marydoll I bet I’m not the only one who scooted back up to Mick’s post to check what time he posted ha!
? ⏰

farview Fri 01-Jan-21 08:21:54

Good morning everyone and a Happy New Year to you all...this thread will once again help the 'limping' to get through another year..albeit a better one..Mick did you ever imagine, when you started this GM ...just how good for the soul it would be?
White rabbits x3 to you all...?

MawBe Fri 01-Jan-21 08:22:26

Good morning abd Happy New Year everybody.
Looks as if we had a hard frost last night so I am definitely not going anywhere!
Lovely walk in a local country park yesterday with youngest daughter and little one (21 months) whom I have not seen since it was warm enough (and legal) to sit in the garden, months ago.. But oh it was cold! A takeaway hot chocolate from the park café thawed us grown ups out but littlest fella was so warmly wrapped up he looked like a mini Michelin man. He was happy enough though, a very cheerful child.

dragonfly46 Fri 01-Jan-21 08:22:40

Good morning and a Happy New Year to you all from Leicestershire.

I too have never liked NYE so after drinking our bubbly we went to bed early.
How lovely to see your son GrandMattie it brought it home to me I haven’t seen mine in over a year. Maybe this year ....
After the last two years it can only get better.