Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday ( New Years Day )

(88 Posts)
12Michael Fri 01-Jan-21 06:12:49

Good Morning Everyone, and Happy New Year .
Its still dark in Brackley but cold and dry outside , jobs today change calendars ,and year planner.
Should be a quiet day ,maybe shop to get a paper , and some items .
looking forward and hoping 2021 , sees an end to current things , so I can watch my cycling , when the events should be in the year .
Take Care ,
Mick

baubles Fri 01-Jan-21 08:23:09

Good morning and a Happy New Year to you all. It’s cold here in S Lanarkshire, the snow has melted a fair bit but the resulting slush has frozen making walking very difficult.

We stayed up for the Bells but were in bed by 12.45, changed days indeed.

How wonderful to have kept a journal for all those years gagagran, do you ever read them?

Good to hear that you’re feeling a little better Marydoll.

Let’s hope that this year gets off to a good start for us all. Take care, see you tomorrow.

Sparklefizz Fri 01-Jan-21 08:24:47

Happy New Year to Mick and all GNs. I didn't see the New Year in but went to bed with a good book and my lovely cat.
I don't think there were many fireworks for once.

Yesterday I had a surprise "garden visit" from my son. He doesn't come into the house as I am shielding so he stood outside wrapped up like the Michelin Man in hoodies, coats and scarves for a chat and to wish me HNY. It was only half an hour but gave me a terrific boost. No hugs, of course, and I long for that day.

What an interesting and heartwarming story Ashcombe about the cruise ships and their crews, and your community.

I've woken up to a severe frost but have no plans to go out as we are having a New Year Family Zoom later on which will be lovely.

I am so pleased for you gMattie for you to be able to see your DS2. His visit will be a real tonic. And I hope your WP will have a nice celebratory day Cherry

I am so sorry to hear about your daughter testing positive Oldbutstilluseful. Fingers crossed she will recover quickly and that you are safe.

Must go and have some breakfast now. Happy New Year and caring thoughts to all I've missed out.

May 2021 bring us all we are hoping for - vaccinations, good health, family visits and for life to return to some sort of normality. Thank goodness for the Internet and for being able to have some online contact.

flowers

CherryCezzy Fri 01-Jan-21 08:27:17

I'm pleased that you had a lovely new year's eve evening with your DD Beechnut and I hope you have a lovely afternoon with your stepfather Urmstongran ?
Good to know that you're feeling a little better Marydoll and that your DH cleaned the house ?. Have a gentle day today ?

mumofmadboys Fri 01-Jan-21 08:38:02

Happy new year to all! Bit warmer in Cumbria than last few days. Still in bed but aim to get up soon and go for a cycle ride. Take care all and keep safe

ginny Fri 01-Jan-21 08:41:10

Good morning and a Happy New Year to you all.
We didn’t stay up last night but heard lots of fireworks.

Another cold frosty morning here in N. Bucks. Hoping it warms up a little so we can have a driveway chat and drink with our friends who live around the corner .
Otherwise a quiet day.
Hope you all find a ?.

CherryCezzy Fri 01-Jan-21 08:43:09

Oldbutstilluseful, wishing your DD a speedy and full recovery ?

Gelisajams Fri 01-Jan-21 08:43:24

All the very best for 2021 everyone, from a snowy Morecambe Bay. Take care, stay safe?

Jaxjacky Fri 01-Jan-21 08:46:15

Good Morning Mick and all from a chilly, slightly Misty S Hants and a very Happy New Year. Well, we stayed up and out on the porch to raise our glasses, it was very foggy, fireworks going off and the ships horns from the docks were muted. No real plans today apart from a quick walk around the block later. After a lovely steak dinner yesterday, we’re a bit make do tonight. A happy birthday to MrCherry and a big thank you to you all for making my mornings brighter, this thread sets me up for the day.

Nortsat Fri 01-Jan-21 08:51:47

Good morning Mick and the GM team from east London where it is grey and silent.

We had a nice dinner last night, with candles and champagne and some nice jazz music and pretended we were at Ronnie Scott’s (as we have been on a number of previous N.Y. Eves).

Then we slept in this morning until 7.30.

A quiet day today and some family Zoom.

Wishing Mick and all the Good Morningers a very happy, healthy New Year.

Lins1066 Fri 01-Jan-21 08:52:19

Good Morning Mick and all and a very happy and healthy New Year to all the GM gang.
Lovely message Ash and enjoy your time with your son grandMattie. A very happy birthday to your WP Cherry.

Dwmxwg Fri 01-Jan-21 08:53:47

Good morning and a happy new year from a cold north Surrey
I would like to add my thanks to all on this lovely thread who have kept me entertained and helped me to realise that my own wobbles are normal in these strange times, a true community feeling every day
DH and the boys stayed up to see the NY in, I was woken by the very noisy fireworks which frightened the dog. Boys still sleeping now
Sister and her H having tests today as he has developed a cough. Am waiting to hear from other sister to see who will do the shop and visit to mum and dad
We have the boys until tomorrow so games, a walk and a film is planned. Might get them to help me start taking the decorations down, will leave the tree for a few more days
So lovely to hear posters who have managed to see family after many months apart. Here’s to a healthy, safe 2021

Viridian Fri 01-Jan-21 08:55:26

Ha ha Urms, I did!!!!!

Stilllearning Fri 01-Jan-21 08:55:41

Good morning and Happy New Year from S Lanarkshire. Bubble daughter and family coming over for a walk this morning. My Sil’s mum and I usually go to them for lunch on New Year’s Day, but there are lots of contacts go into my co Mil’s house due to her needing quite a lot of support now, so we decided that it was safer for both me and my SiL who has asthma, to skip that tradition this year. My lovely neighbours are insisting on sharing their meal with me this afternoon after we have a well wrapped up Prosecco in the garden, ie, we will be wrapped up, not the Prosecco!
A day to ‘Accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative’!
My very very best wishes to everyone for a better and peaceful 2021

Pittcity Fri 01-Jan-21 08:57:00

Good morning from Colchester where the temperature has risen and will reach 2° today. Just a light frost this morning.
Woke late after staying up to check that 2020 really left!!
No plans as usual but will probably go for a walk.
Hope 2021 is a better year for all xx

Anniebach Fri 01-Jan-21 08:57:39

Good morning Auntyflo and all

Happy New Year

grandMattie Fri 01-Jan-21 09:02:53

Hahaha! I did too Urms even though I'm an early riser!... tchgrin

Sar53 Fri 01-Jan-21 09:04:08

Good morning and a Happy New Year from a cold but not frosty Essex by the sea.
We had a family Zoom quiz with my girls yesterday evening, it was lovely to see four of my five granddaughters, the littlest was in bed. We all saw the new year in together with a drink and some laughs.
A lazy day today, roast beef later.
Thanks to Mick for starting this thread, it's been a lovely way to begin every day and the love and support is second to none.
Enjoy your day and let's all sincerely hope that 2021 is the start of a better life for us all ??♥️ xx

Curlywhirly Fri 01-Jan-21 09:08:09

Good morning and a Happy New Year to you all! I don't usually make comments on this thread, but do lurk and read it most days. It's a much milder morning here in Cheshire, no frost on the cars and the snow has nearly all melted. I'm looking forward to our son coming for a meal later today (he is single and we are in a support bubble with him). He's a brilliant cook and offered to make a special meal for us today; he's making Beef Wellington, a very welcome change from the Christmas turkey and ham! Other than the meal, it's a quiet day for us, just a short dog walk at the moment; our 10 year old labrador has arthritis in her back leg, which normally doesn't seem to cause her much trouble, but for the last couple of weeks she's reluctant to use it too much. She's already on anti-inflammatories, and I've recently given her paracetamol (on the vet's advice), but think she may need another visit to the vet if it doesn't improve. Poor love can't get upstairs any more, which will upset her, as she loves to sleep either on our bedroom floor, or on the landing. But must admit that it has halved my housework, as I no longer have to hoover upstairs every day! Hope everybody has a good day, and special thoughts to those who are lonely or not in good health. Take care.

Nannytopsy Fri 01-Jan-21 09:12:20

Good morning Mick and all his followers. Suffolk has grey skies and a heavy frost again. It didn’t thaw at all yesterday.
A very Happy and Healthy New Year to everyone!

Gingster Fri 01-Jan-21 09:12:34

Good morning and a happy new year to you all.

I do actually look forward to getting out of bed in the mornings, letting little pooch out, making a cuppa and settling down to Gransnet to see what everyone will be up to during the day. It’s my peaceful start to the day and 2 hours can fly by until I wake Rip Van Winkle up to kickstart his day.
Thank you all. ?.

May 2021 bring us health and happiness. ?

Gagagran Fri 01-Jan-21 09:14:22

baubles

Good morning and a Happy New Year to you all. It’s cold here in S Lanarkshire, the snow has melted a fair bit but the resulting slush has frozen making walking very difficult.

We stayed up for the Bells but were in bed by 12.45, changed days indeed.

How wonderful to have kept a journal for all those years gagagran, do you ever read them?

Good to hear that you’re feeling a little better Marydoll.

Let’s hope that this year gets off to a good start for us all. Take care, see you tomorrow.

Good Morning Baubles - yes I do often read my journals and always have the previous year's one with the current one so I can ss1ee what we were up to "this time last year".

I also seem to be the family archivist and am often asked to resolve disputes about who, what, when or where something occurred by reference to the journals.

I started to keep them after the Pepys Diary drama on TV in the mid-1950s with Peter Sallis as Pepys. Anyone else remember that? So glad I did. It is wonderful to be able to re-live parts of my life although there are many characters in there that I now cannot recall at all!

Nanabanana1 Fri 01-Jan-21 09:14:47

Happy New Year to all Gransnetters, I don’t post often but look in every day, it’s been a comfort this past year.
Must say l have made good friends in “real” life through Gransnet so onward and upward 2021.

Casdon Fri 01-Jan-21 09:19:18

Happy New Year everybody from the Brecon Beacons.

Grammaretto Fri 01-Jan-21 09:20:51

Happy New Year to you all from the snowy Scottish Borders. The temp is zero but "feels like minus 3" whatever that means.
2020 was strange to the last.
I lit the wood fire and sat with my dram and black bun to join the family on zoom.
DGS played Old Lang Syne on the piano -beautiful
We waved goodbye farvel to our family in Europe
It's as good as it gets.
And here I am, up and dressed by 9am.
Thanks to all you here for lightening the load.
What will the new year bring?
Some good things I hope.

Alygran Fri 01-Jan-21 09:21:07

Good morning and Happy New Year everyone.
It’s a bit warmer today so I will go out for a walk. Will take the decorations down too.
Hope you all have a lovely day. Stay safe.