Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday ( New Years Day )

(88 Posts)
12Michael Fri 01-Jan-21 06:12:49

Good Morning Everyone, and Happy New Year .
Its still dark in Brackley but cold and dry outside , jobs today change calendars ,and year planner.
Should be a quiet day ,maybe shop to get a paper , and some items .
looking forward and hoping 2021 , sees an end to current things , so I can watch my cycling , when the events should be in the year .
Take Care ,
Mick

Susan56 Fri 01-Jan-21 09:21:22

Good morning and a Happy New Year ???

We will take Miss M home later otherwise nothing planned.

Happy birthday to your WP Cherry????

Glad you are feeling brighter today Mary.

Have a good day all.

Mapleleaf Fri 01-Jan-21 09:34:01

Good morning everyone,

I wish you a happy new year.

No frost this morning but instead it's back to cold, grey and drizzly here in South Yorkshire. I must say, I much prefer the cold, crisp, frosty days such as we had yesterday.

I hope you all have a nice, relaxed day. Take care and stay safe.

GrannySomerset Fri 01-Jan-21 09:38:11

New Year greetings from a very frosty North Somerset and I share everyone’s hopes that 2021 will be better than 2020. We are having a celebratory glass of fizz and warm mince pies on our doorstep at mid day with neighbours but otherwise no plans though I may take the decorations down. Thank you to everyone who shares their lives on this thread, reminding us that we are only human and are allowed the odd bad day. It has been such a help.

Grandmabatty Fri 01-Jan-21 09:40:41

Good morning All. A happy new year to Mick for starting this lovely thread and a happy new year to all Good Morning friends. Pale blue skies in Polmont and still some ice. The new year got off with a bang. Literally. Ds was in the dining room on a zoom chat with friends and knocked over a lamp which promptly broke into lots of little pieces. I thought some very uncharitable thoughts I can tell you! I'm shortly going to prepare dinner. Stuffed mushrooms, steak pie and various veg and a fruit salad. It's a family tradition that I started and no one let's me forget it. I woke with a start at three this morning and realised I hadn't taken the steak pie out the freezer so there was a hasty scramble to the kitchen and back to bed. It'll be ds, mum and db for dinner. And me, of course. Then rerun of last week and I'll take ds home tomorrow and relax. Ds is a bit down as his partner and her family have tested positive. Fortunately he hasn't seen her since November and we're locked down but still. She's not too bad which is good news. Well dear friends, I shall finish my chamberpot of tea, throw clothes on and start peeling spuds. Have a good day.

gillgran Fri 01-Jan-21 09:41:50

Good Morning to you all from a very cold Cambs.,
Happy Birthday to your WP Cherry.

Thank you for the lovely words & messages everyone for the new year.
We did stay up to enjoy the "light-show" in London, (on the TV), & to raise a glass to 2021. wine & heard some fireworks in our little town.
Wishing you all a happy & healthy new year, hoping it is kind to us all. flowers

Take Care Folks

BlueSapphire Fri 01-Jan-21 09:43:41

Good morning and a very happy New Year to all who post on here. I managed to stay awake to see the New Year in with a nice glass of Cointreau on ice, my favourite nightcap. There were lots of fireworks around here, but the cats didn't seem bothered. I have one on my knee now, having her morning cuddle.

It was a quiet day yesterday, and will be again today. I woke up to frosty roofs (rooves?), but it has thawed now, replaced by rain. DD and her husband were thinking of coming over with the dogs and us all going for a walk, but doesn't look nice enough. Still tomorrow and Sunday though, if the weather improves. DH and I always used to go out for lunch on New Year's Day, and I miss that. Another day of watching tv, will be putting it on soon for the New Year's Day concert from Vienna.

Won't be cooking tonight, just a curry from Sainsbury's. Made a Bolognese yesterday and need to put the leftovers in the freezer.

Had a letter yesterday from the hospital to say that my non-urgent day surgery has been postponed, It was originally Christmas Eve, (no, I didn't fancy that!) but I managed to put that off until February, and now changed to April. I suppose it's due to Covid.

Starting my new journal today; boy, was I glad to finish the old one last night. I pretend I am writing to DH, telling him how my day has been.

Hoping that this New Year brings comfort to us all, and a hope of getting back to some sort of normality.

Maggiemaybe Fri 01-Jan-21 09:46:01

Good morning all and Happy New Year from West Yorkshire. I’d an unsettled night due to the NYE surfeit of fizz, Pringles and gingerbread fudge, and my MiFit choosing yet again to wake me up at 7.20 with an alarm I hadn’t set. tchconfused We didn’t turn in till nearly 2, despite my threatening not to see the New Year in this time, and went from window to window like children watching all the fireworks going off around us at midnight.

So a New Year beckons! We’ve a special meal planned for later and a family quiz. And a bracing walk if the pavements are clear.

Stay safe everyone.

Greyduster Fri 01-Jan-21 10:03:16

Good morning, Michael and all GNs, and a Happy New Year from South Yorkshire where it is cold and grey. Hope and resilience are my watchwords for 2021. Nothing much doing here today. We had a walk yesterday which saw us desperately trying to stay on our feet, so today we are staying indoors where, unless I fall over DH’s strategically placed carpet slippers - again - we should be ok! Chicken curry for NYD lunch as there are only the two of us, and a few phone calls to make. Have the best start to the year you can folks!

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 01-Jan-21 10:16:45

Good Morning and HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all from chilly Harrogate.
I slept pretty badly last night, mainly because of the company I had - our petrified dog decided my room was the safest. She didn't bother me, I just haven't had her in my bedrooom for the night!!
Weird thing this morning - all my apple batteries were drained, were they draining themselves of 2020?? Anyway watch and phone now OK, still charging my workbook and ipad!!
Marydoll so glad you are feeling better, hope it's a sign of things to come?
Ashcombe how wonderful for the crew to distribute food to the community, and the community to deliver presents to them.
Here's hoping 2021 will bring health and happiness to all, especially those who are struggling.

Grandmafrench Fri 01-Jan-21 10:24:58

Good Morning to all you lovely souls from a sunny South of France with scallops, roast lamb and chocolate cheesecake forecast later.

I’ve thought about and I think I’ve told you that I wish you nothing but hope, health and happiness for this year. Nothing more, nothing less. May our lovely Grans Army march on and on, (only stopping occasionally for a glass of something and/or a little rest. ? We’ve all proved our worth and come out on top, so let’s show 2021 what we’re made of. I stayed up just late enough to see ‘that year’ off the premises and I’m now only looking forward !

Thank you Mick ?. To every one of you, a very happy day whatever you are doing - and, of course, much love and a Happy New Year !

farview Fri 01-Jan-21 10:29:23

Just popped back to say Happy New Year to gillybob..hope that you are ok ..?

NannyJan53 Fri 01-Jan-21 10:34:17

Good Morning from a slightly thawed Black Country.

Tried a walk yesterday along the canal but had to give up as it was lethal underfoot. Hopefully try again today as it doesn't seem so icy.

Stayed up to see the New Year in with a glass of Champers. MrJanny has quite a few bottles stashed away he bought years ago, and we decided to crack one open! Didn't get to sleep until 2.30am.

Wishing you all a Happy New Year, and hopefully life can return to some normality in the coming months

EllanVannin Fri 01-Jan-21 10:40:35

Good Morning All x----White Rabbits and a Happy New Year to Mick and All ( all in one breath )
A still non-frosty morning so far. It rained lightly last night meaning that the coldness of yesterday had gone.

Fireworks galore last night from somewhere, probably over the water on Liverpool's waters edge.
After the saga of the neighbour locking herself out last night, when she returned the key to the outside gate to me she then invited myself and another close neighbour to join her in a New Year celebratory drink.

Anyway, the three of us enjoyed a distant chat in her living room and I had the tiniest drop of whisky in a glass full of lemonade and ice which lasted me a couple of hours, which wet the whistle, with nibbles too and other neighbour and me left about 1.30am.

I didn't wake until 9am, though disturbed around 4am when someone decided to have their own firework display, but I fell back to sleep again.

The whole evening was completely out of the blue as I'd been quietly watching the Sound of Music and my peace had been turned on its head grin What was one night in years ?

Back to my quiet life, crumpets and hot choc.! A Christmas dinner again today with some of the turkey breast I sliced up and froze last week, now thawed in the 'fridge.

It's just lovely hearing of others " doings " and reads like a book which is why it takes me so long before I post.

What will this year bring I wonder ? To keep us all safe and well would be a good start, which is what I would hope for above anything.
Thoughts to anyone whose New Year hasn't started well x
Hoping that our Gilly can make an appearance at some point, though she will when she's ready x

Enjoy the new day and New Year, stay safe and take care xx

GrannyGravy13 Fri 01-Jan-21 10:48:31

Happy New Year Mick and all ??

Not a lot planned for today (as usual). I need to have a root round the feeezer to see what delights are hiding?

Gillybob if you are reading this I do hope that 2021 is an improvement on last year for you, you are definitely missed here on the GM thread ?

Sending good wishes to all with troubles, worries, health problems or just having a wobble.

Keep safe and well folks ?

Kalu Fri 01-Jan-21 11:05:29

Good morning from a silent, frosty morning in Glasgow.

Last night found me reminiscing about previous Hogmanay Do’s and a time when eightsome reels were a dawdle. Fast forward to a point where, getting myself up from the sofa is a struggle. ?

Happy New Year all and may the year ahead be one of good health, peace and happiness.

NemosMum Fri 01-Jan-21 11:06:15

Happy New Year from Newcastle upon Tyne. I kept my tradition of being in bed by midnight last night, and it seems that many others have done the same this year! NYE parties always over-rated in my view! It was raining early this morning, but has brightened up now and it's a lot milder than yesterday (still at -1C by this time). My niece has been for the traditional New Year's Day swim at Whitley Bay, but I'm at home, about to make a full British brunch. The next generation may or may not be nursing hangovers this morning. I'm happy to leave them to it. I'll be roasting some pork for this evening's meal. Pity the TV is so dire, but I'm content to be on my own this year. Looking forward to a much better year for all of us in 2021!

LauraNorder Fri 01-Jan-21 11:09:59

Good morning and very happy new year to Mick and all you wonderful gransnetters.
Thank you Mick for this lovely start to the day, every day. Thank you all for brightening every day with your warmth, care and kindness and for sharing your pain and sadness too which helps us all to feel that we’re all in it together.
We did stay up just to make sure that 2020 high tailed it out of here and yes it’s gone, hurray.
So here we all are going forward in to the year we beat back a pandemic, forge a new partnership with our friends and neighbours and campaign hard for peace in our world.
Happy new year everyone. 2021 ?

mrswoo Fri 01-Jan-21 11:10:53

Wishing everyone a very happy and healthy New Year from Newcastle.
Ashcombe your post reminded me of when we lived in Oban and the CalMac ferries would sound their horns at midnight - it felt very special. Unfortunately the horns and bang-crashes of fireworks upset our 2 wee Jack Russells who thought we were under attack.
My New Year wish is simply that 2021 brings with it, comfort for those who are suffering with ill health and sadness and hope for all of us that life may slowly return to normal.

harrigran Fri 01-Jan-21 11:15:11

Good morning from the NE where it is raining.
Happy New Year.
I went to bed at 11pm but had stomach pains, within minutes I was being sick and that lasted until 2am. A repeat of Christmas day when I had the same.
There seemed to be a lot of fireworks for a society that is locked down.
A quiet day for us.

Oldbutstilluseful Fri 01-Jan-21 11:19:57

Thank you Sparklefizz and CherryCezzy for your kind wishes. Thankfully my lovely girl is ok for now, I’m just praying it stays that way for her and her family. Son-in-law is waiting for results and she’s booked her children in for testing ?.

I think another poster’s wish for hope and resilience is perfect for 2021. I wish the same for you all ??

Mollygo Fri 01-Jan-21 11:24:25

Good morning all from a chilly 2degrees in North Lancashire. I stayed up to see the New Year in with a little glass of Baileys Chocolate. The fireworks over Morecambe Bay were lovely when I opened the door at midnight and really cheered me up. Sorry for all the pets, but at least it only lasted 5 -10 minutes this time.

I think people have decided to get out and walk early today as there’s been a constant stream of folk past our house with and without dogs, since around 8 o’clock. Amazing how many people are now wearing hats. The pavements still look worryingly slippy to me, so I’ll wait till after lunch.
Let’s hope the vaccine makes 2021 improve quickly!

Annaram1 Fri 01-Jan-21 11:51:14

Hi all, HAPPY NEW YEAR! May 2021 be better for us all and bring better health for all Grans in pain or
sickness. My doctor son got his jab yesterday and is very chuffed. I expect to get mine in about 6 weeks.
Have a good day all.

Happysexagenarian Fri 01-Jan-21 11:58:51

I don't usually visit this daily thread, but wanted to wish everyone a Happy, Healthy and Safe New Year from the freezing cold and frosty Isle of Wight.

GrandmasueUK Fri 01-Jan-21 11:59:55

Gourd morning Mick and all who follow from a dry Greater Manchester. Happy New Year to you all and thank you for helping me through this difficult year.

I've loved reading the Good morning thread every day but don't post a lot on it as I'm usually up later. I'm more of an owl.

Had a lovely funny Taskmaster evening last night over Zoom with family in Portugal. I never thought I'd be racing round my house searching for funny items to wear or make pictures out of! Drink was consumed and we chatted and saw the New Year in together.

Later today we'll have a Facetime with the same family but including DGs who were asleep last night.

Hopefully this year we all get together with missing loved ones.

Take care and stay safe. flowers

Taichinan Fri 01-Jan-21 12:27:39

Happy New Year, all my lovely new friends from 2020 - the best thing to emerge from that Covid-riddled time! I'm so glad to have found you.
I'm very late this morning - dreadful night with two flare-ups of eczema so once the second one had died down I slept until 10.30 . Up, showered, washing on and a set of tai chi completed and now ready to face whatever the day brings - not a lot sadly! But the sun is shining on the Angus coast, so that can't be bad. Now I'm off to read all your posts. Make the best of the day you can, and stay safe. ???