Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday ( New Years Day )

(88 Posts)
12Michael Fri 01-Jan-21 06:12:49

Good Morning Everyone, and Happy New Year .
Its still dark in Brackley but cold and dry outside , jobs today change calendars ,and year planner.
Should be a quiet day ,maybe shop to get a paper , and some items .
looking forward and hoping 2021 , sees an end to current things , so I can watch my cycling , when the events should be in the year .
Take Care ,
Mick

NannyJan53 Fri 01-Jan-21 10:34:17

Good Morning from a slightly thawed Black Country.

Tried a walk yesterday along the canal but had to give up as it was lethal underfoot. Hopefully try again today as it doesn't seem so icy.

Stayed up to see the New Year in with a glass of Champers. MrJanny has quite a few bottles stashed away he bought years ago, and we decided to crack one open! Didn't get to sleep until 2.30am.

Wishing you all a Happy New Year, and hopefully life can return to some normality in the coming months

farview Fri 01-Jan-21 10:29:23

Just popped back to say Happy New Year to gillybob..hope that you are ok ..?

Grandmafrench Fri 01-Jan-21 10:24:58

Good Morning to all you lovely souls from a sunny South of France with scallops, roast lamb and chocolate cheesecake forecast later.

I’ve thought about and I think I’ve told you that I wish you nothing but hope, health and happiness for this year. Nothing more, nothing less. May our lovely Grans Army march on and on, (only stopping occasionally for a glass of something and/or a little rest. ? We’ve all proved our worth and come out on top, so let’s show 2021 what we’re made of. I stayed up just late enough to see ‘that year’ off the premises and I’m now only looking forward !

Thank you Mick ?. To every one of you, a very happy day whatever you are doing - and, of course, much love and a Happy New Year !

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 01-Jan-21 10:16:45

Good Morning and HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all from chilly Harrogate.
I slept pretty badly last night, mainly because of the company I had - our petrified dog decided my room was the safest. She didn't bother me, I just haven't had her in my bedrooom for the night!!
Weird thing this morning - all my apple batteries were drained, were they draining themselves of 2020?? Anyway watch and phone now OK, still charging my workbook and ipad!!
Marydoll so glad you are feeling better, hope it's a sign of things to come?
Ashcombe how wonderful for the crew to distribute food to the community, and the community to deliver presents to them.
Here's hoping 2021 will bring health and happiness to all, especially those who are struggling.

Greyduster Fri 01-Jan-21 10:03:16

Good morning, Michael and all GNs, and a Happy New Year from South Yorkshire where it is cold and grey. Hope and resilience are my watchwords for 2021. Nothing much doing here today. We had a walk yesterday which saw us desperately trying to stay on our feet, so today we are staying indoors where, unless I fall over DH’s strategically placed carpet slippers - again - we should be ok! Chicken curry for NYD lunch as there are only the two of us, and a few phone calls to make. Have the best start to the year you can folks!

Maggiemaybe Fri 01-Jan-21 09:46:01

Good morning all and Happy New Year from West Yorkshire. I’d an unsettled night due to the NYE surfeit of fizz, Pringles and gingerbread fudge, and my MiFit choosing yet again to wake me up at 7.20 with an alarm I hadn’t set. tchconfused We didn’t turn in till nearly 2, despite my threatening not to see the New Year in this time, and went from window to window like children watching all the fireworks going off around us at midnight.

So a New Year beckons! We’ve a special meal planned for later and a family quiz. And a bracing walk if the pavements are clear.

Stay safe everyone.

BlueSapphire Fri 01-Jan-21 09:43:41

Good morning and a very happy New Year to all who post on here. I managed to stay awake to see the New Year in with a nice glass of Cointreau on ice, my favourite nightcap. There were lots of fireworks around here, but the cats didn't seem bothered. I have one on my knee now, having her morning cuddle.

It was a quiet day yesterday, and will be again today. I woke up to frosty roofs (rooves?), but it has thawed now, replaced by rain. DD and her husband were thinking of coming over with the dogs and us all going for a walk, but doesn't look nice enough. Still tomorrow and Sunday though, if the weather improves. DH and I always used to go out for lunch on New Year's Day, and I miss that. Another day of watching tv, will be putting it on soon for the New Year's Day concert from Vienna.

Won't be cooking tonight, just a curry from Sainsbury's. Made a Bolognese yesterday and need to put the leftovers in the freezer.

Had a letter yesterday from the hospital to say that my non-urgent day surgery has been postponed, It was originally Christmas Eve, (no, I didn't fancy that!) but I managed to put that off until February, and now changed to April. I suppose it's due to Covid.

Starting my new journal today; boy, was I glad to finish the old one last night. I pretend I am writing to DH, telling him how my day has been.

Hoping that this New Year brings comfort to us all, and a hope of getting back to some sort of normality.

gillgran Fri 01-Jan-21 09:41:50

Good Morning to you all from a very cold Cambs.,
Happy Birthday to your WP Cherry.

Thank you for the lovely words & messages everyone for the new year.
We did stay up to enjoy the "light-show" in London, (on the TV), & to raise a glass to 2021. wine & heard some fireworks in our little town.
Wishing you all a happy & healthy new year, hoping it is kind to us all. flowers

Take Care Folks

Grandmabatty Fri 01-Jan-21 09:40:41

Good morning All. A happy new year to Mick for starting this lovely thread and a happy new year to all Good Morning friends. Pale blue skies in Polmont and still some ice. The new year got off with a bang. Literally. Ds was in the dining room on a zoom chat with friends and knocked over a lamp which promptly broke into lots of little pieces. I thought some very uncharitable thoughts I can tell you! I'm shortly going to prepare dinner. Stuffed mushrooms, steak pie and various veg and a fruit salad. It's a family tradition that I started and no one let's me forget it. I woke with a start at three this morning and realised I hadn't taken the steak pie out the freezer so there was a hasty scramble to the kitchen and back to bed. It'll be ds, mum and db for dinner. And me, of course. Then rerun of last week and I'll take ds home tomorrow and relax. Ds is a bit down as his partner and her family have tested positive. Fortunately he hasn't seen her since November and we're locked down but still. She's not too bad which is good news. Well dear friends, I shall finish my chamberpot of tea, throw clothes on and start peeling spuds. Have a good day.

GrannySomerset Fri 01-Jan-21 09:38:11

New Year greetings from a very frosty North Somerset and I share everyone’s hopes that 2021 will be better than 2020. We are having a celebratory glass of fizz and warm mince pies on our doorstep at mid day with neighbours but otherwise no plans though I may take the decorations down. Thank you to everyone who shares their lives on this thread, reminding us that we are only human and are allowed the odd bad day. It has been such a help.

Mapleleaf Fri 01-Jan-21 09:34:01

Good morning everyone,

I wish you a happy new year.

No frost this morning but instead it's back to cold, grey and drizzly here in South Yorkshire. I must say, I much prefer the cold, crisp, frosty days such as we had yesterday.

I hope you all have a nice, relaxed day. Take care and stay safe.

Susan56 Fri 01-Jan-21 09:21:22

Good morning and a Happy New Year ???

We will take Miss M home later otherwise nothing planned.

Happy birthday to your WP Cherry????

Glad you are feeling brighter today Mary.

Have a good day all.

Alygran Fri 01-Jan-21 09:21:07

Good morning and Happy New Year everyone.
It’s a bit warmer today so I will go out for a walk. Will take the decorations down too.
Hope you all have a lovely day. Stay safe.

Grammaretto Fri 01-Jan-21 09:20:51

Happy New Year to you all from the snowy Scottish Borders. The temp is zero but "feels like minus 3" whatever that means.
2020 was strange to the last.
I lit the wood fire and sat with my dram and black bun to join the family on zoom.
DGS played Old Lang Syne on the piano -beautiful
We waved goodbye farvel to our family in Europe
It's as good as it gets.
And here I am, up and dressed by 9am.
Thanks to all you here for lightening the load.
What will the new year bring?
Some good things I hope.

Casdon Fri 01-Jan-21 09:19:18

Happy New Year everybody from the Brecon Beacons.

Nanabanana1 Fri 01-Jan-21 09:14:47

Happy New Year to all Gransnetters, I don’t post often but look in every day, it’s been a comfort this past year.
Must say l have made good friends in “real” life through Gransnet so onward and upward 2021.

Gagagran Fri 01-Jan-21 09:14:22

baubles

Good morning and a Happy New Year to you all. It’s cold here in S Lanarkshire, the snow has melted a fair bit but the resulting slush has frozen making walking very difficult.

We stayed up for the Bells but were in bed by 12.45, changed days indeed.

How wonderful to have kept a journal for all those years gagagran, do you ever read them?

Good to hear that you’re feeling a little better Marydoll.

Let’s hope that this year gets off to a good start for us all. Take care, see you tomorrow.

Good Morning Baubles - yes I do often read my journals and always have the previous year's one with the current one so I can ss1ee what we were up to "this time last year".

I also seem to be the family archivist and am often asked to resolve disputes about who, what, when or where something occurred by reference to the journals.

I started to keep them after the Pepys Diary drama on TV in the mid-1950s with Peter Sallis as Pepys. Anyone else remember that? So glad I did. It is wonderful to be able to re-live parts of my life although there are many characters in there that I now cannot recall at all!

Gingster Fri 01-Jan-21 09:12:34

Good morning and a happy new year to you all.

I do actually look forward to getting out of bed in the mornings, letting little pooch out, making a cuppa and settling down to Gransnet to see what everyone will be up to during the day. It’s my peaceful start to the day and 2 hours can fly by until I wake Rip Van Winkle up to kickstart his day.
Thank you all. ?.

May 2021 bring us health and happiness. ?

Nannytopsy Fri 01-Jan-21 09:12:20

Good morning Mick and all his followers. Suffolk has grey skies and a heavy frost again. It didn’t thaw at all yesterday.
A very Happy and Healthy New Year to everyone!

Curlywhirly Fri 01-Jan-21 09:08:09

Good morning and a Happy New Year to you all! I don't usually make comments on this thread, but do lurk and read it most days. It's a much milder morning here in Cheshire, no frost on the cars and the snow has nearly all melted. I'm looking forward to our son coming for a meal later today (he is single and we are in a support bubble with him). He's a brilliant cook and offered to make a special meal for us today; he's making Beef Wellington, a very welcome change from the Christmas turkey and ham! Other than the meal, it's a quiet day for us, just a short dog walk at the moment; our 10 year old labrador has arthritis in her back leg, which normally doesn't seem to cause her much trouble, but for the last couple of weeks she's reluctant to use it too much. She's already on anti-inflammatories, and I've recently given her paracetamol (on the vet's advice), but think she may need another visit to the vet if it doesn't improve. Poor love can't get upstairs any more, which will upset her, as she loves to sleep either on our bedroom floor, or on the landing. But must admit that it has halved my housework, as I no longer have to hoover upstairs every day! Hope everybody has a good day, and special thoughts to those who are lonely or not in good health. Take care.

Sar53 Fri 01-Jan-21 09:04:08

Good morning and a Happy New Year from a cold but not frosty Essex by the sea.
We had a family Zoom quiz with my girls yesterday evening, it was lovely to see four of my five granddaughters, the littlest was in bed. We all saw the new year in together with a drink and some laughs.
A lazy day today, roast beef later.
Thanks to Mick for starting this thread, it's been a lovely way to begin every day and the love and support is second to none.
Enjoy your day and let's all sincerely hope that 2021 is the start of a better life for us all ??♥️ xx

grandMattie Fri 01-Jan-21 09:02:53

Hahaha! I did too Urms even though I'm an early riser!... tchgrin

Anniebach Fri 01-Jan-21 08:57:39

Good morning Auntyflo and all

Happy New Year

Pittcity Fri 01-Jan-21 08:57:00

Good morning from Colchester where the temperature has risen and will reach 2° today. Just a light frost this morning.
Woke late after staying up to check that 2020 really left!!
No plans as usual but will probably go for a walk.
Hope 2021 is a better year for all xx

Stilllearning Fri 01-Jan-21 08:55:41

Good morning and Happy New Year from S Lanarkshire. Bubble daughter and family coming over for a walk this morning. My Sil’s mum and I usually go to them for lunch on New Year’s Day, but there are lots of contacts go into my co Mil’s house due to her needing quite a lot of support now, so we decided that it was safer for both me and my SiL who has asthma, to skip that tradition this year. My lovely neighbours are insisting on sharing their meal with me this afternoon after we have a well wrapped up Prosecco in the garden, ie, we will be wrapped up, not the Prosecco!
A day to ‘Accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative’!
My very very best wishes to everyone for a better and peaceful 2021