Gransnet forums

Chat

What moved you to tears this festive season ?

(36 Posts)
Floradora9 Sat 02-Jan-21 10:52:37

For me it was not missing the GC because we saw them open their presents via Zoom. It was not having two to cater for instead of hoards , that was rather good . It was not the total lack of presents because that is what we ask for but hearing a lone bagpiper playing " When the Battle's Over " from the battlements of Edinburgh castle really moved me .

timetogo2016 Sat 02-Jan-21 10:57:31

Opening my christmas cards off my grandchildren and at the bottom of the card they wrote ( love you grandma and really really miss you and our cuddles}.
That`s it i`m off again.

Kim19 Sat 02-Jan-21 11:06:21

Watching a golden oldie on telly and remembering where it took place, who I was with etc. All past joy surrounding that time rushed backed and emotionally crippled me. Happily I am in recovery and am as grateful as I can be for what I now have.

Calendargirl Sat 02-Jan-21 11:09:51

Opening our M&S food hamper from DD in Australia, reading the little card that accompanied it, just realising how many Christmases it has been since we actually spent the day with her (18), and just feeling sad about it all.

eazybee Sat 02-Jan-21 11:14:15

Ben Hur, always does.

GagaJo Sat 02-Jan-21 11:18:21

Obviously, not being able to get home to see family.

But what reduced me to a blubbering wreck was hearing that my grandson (2, was expecting me home) had started thinking he saw me in the shops, on a bus etc and asking his mum if it was me. Oh lord, I'm off again. Breaks my heart that he is missing me.

Nortsat Sat 02-Jan-21 11:19:42

I seemed to feel tearful at the drop of a hat.

Yesterday it was watching the New Years Day Concert by the Vienna Philharmonic... and the moving speech given by the conductor Ricardo Muti ??? about the value of music in these troubled times.

Bridie22 Sat 02-Jan-21 11:20:38

watching Billy Elliott and missing somebody .

FannyCornforth Sat 02-Jan-21 11:25:13

Realising that DH has long covid and life isn't going to be the same again.

glammanana Sat 02-Jan-21 11:25:17

Not seeing my two GGC dashing in to give me hugs,and not having the head of the household sitting in his Captains chair at the head of the table after loosing him the xmas before it was very tearful.

tiredoldwoman Sat 02-Jan-21 11:27:56

4 bullfinches on my pheasant bush .

Jane10 Sat 02-Jan-21 11:34:04

I was going to post something here but it's just too sad so I deleted it.

EllanVannin Sat 02-Jan-21 11:41:20

The fact that my 7 GGC had no dad this last Christmas, whereas he was with them last year up until March, and the thought of one of them sitting on his hospital bed, colouring her book and not wanting to leave after visiting had finished----it just smashes you. Heartbreaking.

kittylester Sat 02-Jan-21 11:47:54

Seeing Rob Burrows on the television. Our daughters have a friend, about the same age, who was diagnosed with MND at about the same time and who is also doing his bit to raise money for research. He was a well regarded triathlete and is a lovely chap.

lemongrove Sat 02-Jan-21 12:16:11

GagaJo

Obviously, not being able to get home to see family.

But what reduced me to a blubbering wreck was hearing that my grandson (2, was expecting me home) had started thinking he saw me in the shops, on a bus etc and asking his mum if it was me. Oh lord, I'm off again. Breaks my heart that he is missing me.

So very sad.
Will you try to find a teaching job in the UK this year?

lemongrove Sat 02-Jan-21 12:18:20

FannyCornforth

Realising that DH has long covid and life isn't going to be the same again.

It will take time, but hopefully he will improve.Adjusting to a different pace of life for you both?

Ailidh Sat 02-Jan-21 12:29:19

A Happy New Year greeting from a Facebook friend in New Zealand, where obviously it was the New Year even before I'd gone to bed on NYE. The thought that some part of the world had made it into 2021 really did being a tear to my eye.

EllanVannin Sat 02-Jan-21 12:30:37

Kittylester, yes that was a really sad story about Rob Burrows and makes us count our blessings. What a lovely family they all are.

Ashcombe Sat 02-Jan-21 12:42:41

Too many things to list - sometimes the silliest things! Two of my grandchildren sent regular little videos during the festive season, which I loved, so I guess they were “good” tears!

Cindy Sat 02-Jan-21 12:42:53

Like so many others, I had to cancel Christmas staying with family at last minute. My neighbours made sure I didn't run short of food & brought round a lovely Christmas dinner with all the trimmings & even came Boxing day with 'leftovers' which saw me through another couple of days, until I was able to get an online grocery slot. I was overwhelmed with their kindness & generosity.

LauraNorder Sat 02-Jan-21 13:01:43

Reading these posts and almost anything else at the moment.

Scribbles Sat 02-Jan-21 13:09:07

The news yesterday that two dear friends have become engaged - on the 48th anniversary of my own engagement to late OH. They are lovely young people and so utterly 'right' together. It's so long since I heard any real good news, I cried with happiness most of the afternoon.

Now my eyeballs are leaking again! ?

Jaxjacky Sat 02-Jan-21 13:17:51

Nearly went on NYE as DH and I stood at midnight and had a great big hug.

NanaPlenty Sat 02-Jan-21 13:25:55

Nortsat I’m with you. I literally start crying at anything at the moment - must have a lot of built up emotions. Some terribly sad things on tv, the news etc. People arguing about all sorts (even on Gransnet) and the world being in such a bad way at the moment. I give thanks every day for at least one good thing in my life, I can always find several and it makes things less depressing.

merlotgran Sat 02-Jan-21 13:26:59

Opening a framed Christmas card from DGS2 and his girlfriend. It was a collage of photos taken the day they spent with us when the first lockdown eased and we had a lovely lunch in the garden. The weather was perfect.

They didn't need to sign it. They just wrote, 'Distance means nothing......We love you xx'