Gransnet forums

Chat

Everyday words not so innocent to the younger generation!

(51 Posts)
ixion Sat 02-Jan-21 19:44:57

My cupboard under the stairs, with all the amassed bits and bobs, has always been called the gloryhole.
My children tell me quite firmly that this is not a word to be used in common conversation.....
AIBU and does anyone have a similar 'foot in mouth' word I should be avoiding?

Marydoll Sat 02-Jan-21 23:39:35

When I was young, the word manky meant filthy.

I once sent an email to my daughter at work, using that word. The IT system flagged the email up as containing a profanity and my offensive email was deleted.
My poor daughter was mortified.

PS, I was describing the state of her bedroom!!!

Bellanonna Sat 02-Jan-21 23:42:41

Oh, Marydoll. I would still use that word in the way you describe. Thanks for the warning - I will look it up.

Newquay Sat 02-Jan-21 23:44:45

Well, I was telling someone that a chap in our choir, retired RAF Officer don’t ya know (imagine moustache twiddling) had sung»I am the model of a modern major general» in (whisper) mufti. Now I thought that meant in civilian clothes/out of uniform! Apparently not these days ?

Chewbacca Sat 02-Jan-21 23:50:19

ixion I got the same shock look off my DS, when I told him to look in the glory hole, for whatever it was he was searching for! He begged me never to say that when out in public! grin

kircubbin2000 Sun 03-Jan-21 06:37:34

welbeck

reminds me of when i advised a slightly older person that t*at was a very rude word, akin to the c-word.
she didn't believe me, so rang her son for support. he was shocked to her her voice it, and told her firmly it was indeed very very rude.

Yes, my elderly tennis partner uses it all the time but I haven't told her yet.

Ashcombe Sun 03-Jan-21 06:51:10

Earlier last year, when in the company of my younger family members, I too experienced sniggers when I used glory hole in its original meaning. Quite sad that it’s now a euphemism for something else entirely. ☹️

Grammaretto Sun 03-Jan-21 08:25:15

I can't be bothered to look them up so will just have to wait until my DGC snigger or they put me in a home
I have a friend whose name is Gay and she uses it. Anyway I think Queer is being reclaimed.
We called DGM Gaga which meant demented even then but she wanted to be called that. Lady Gaga are you listening?

sodapop Sun 03-Jan-21 09:22:25

I had no idea about the new connotation to 'gloryhole', not a word I use any more but remember my mother referring to the cupboard under the stairs as this.
I usually know when I have made a bad choice of word by the scandalised shout of
" oh Mother" from one of my daughters.

petra Sun 03-Jan-21 09:42:17

I love the word slut but my friends and family know that I'm using it in a jokey way when referring to people who's standards are lower than mine ?
I used the word twat on here, once oh my lord, people were horrified.
But once again, my friends and family know that I use it to mean a useless, contemptible person
They all know my feelings on the other word.

mokryna Sun 03-Jan-21 09:43:05

kircubbin2000

welbeck

reminds me of when i advised a slightly older person that t*at was a very rude word, akin to the c-word.
she didn't believe me, so rang her son for support. he was shocked to her her voice it, and told her firmly it was indeed very very rude.

Yes, my elderly tennis partner uses it all the time but I haven't told her yet.

I have just been looking on my old Surrey town’s Facebook page. The twat word is used to describe the stupidity of litter louts. Nobody has complained. Which meaning came first?

Chewbacca Sun 03-Jan-21 10:45:52

Like petra I always understood that the word twat was a "stupid, unpleasant or useless person". The OID gives 2 definitions of the word, one of which confirms this. But I'm uncomfortable with using a word, that's also used to describe femail genitalia, as an insult. There are others I much prefer.

ixion Sun 03-Jan-21 10:58:33

In former times, we would pray fervently that our children wouldn't come out with unsuitable words at inappropriate times ("Mummy, why has that lady got blue hair?")
Now it would appear, the roles have been reversed!

Liz46 Sun 03-Jan-21 11:00:33

A very long time ago my daughter was telling me about a web camera which showed the wild life in Africa (as in lions etc.) You've probably guessed by now that I googled 'wildlife in Africa'.

beverly10 Sun 03-Jan-21 11:01:28

Ixion
Tell them ie your children and any one else who appear to have nothing better to do than 'carry out a post mortem' on your verbal expressions' to get them self/selves a life.grin

ixion Sun 03-Jan-21 11:24:52

Actually, I would be grateful to have it pointed out to me that my misplaced, tho well meaning, choice of vocabulary is causing offence or embarrassment to those around me!

felice Sun 03-Jan-21 12:30:44

An older gay friend of mine always says the use of the word gay came from "Good as you" when they were being discriminated against.

winterwhite Sun 03-Jan-21 13:04:48

Some of these new meanings sound to be quite foul-mouthed, so where did ordinary sensible people like all our AC pick them up in the first place ?? Books? Films?
Seems to me to be giving in to low standards to allow ordinary words to be banned from everyday use. Thinking esp of manky - which I use all the time, also glory hole, hoe and others.

Chewbacca Sun 03-Jan-21 13:12:47

The meaning of words is changing from generation to generation. Words like sick, wicked, salty or dope have completely different meanings now. Look 'em up, you'll be amazed! grin

rockgran Sun 03-Jan-21 14:07:38

An elderly friend used to talk about hoovering her back passage. I just used to smile quietly.

Newquay Sun 10-Jan-21 21:48:52

Our DD1 is a property solicitor and I’ve heard her say she often has to discuss back passages professionally!

MissAdventure Sun 10-Jan-21 21:51:59

I don't think I'd be able to describe an airy back passage without laughing. grin

Chewbacca Sun 10-Jan-21 22:08:36

I can't even see the words "back passage" without giggling! I have an infantile sense of humour grin

MissAdventure Sun 10-Jan-21 22:11:02

Training for work was the worst place for getting the giggles.
There were a couple of people I dare not make eye contact with...

eilis239 Mon 11-Jan-21 14:39:26

Must remember to open a private tab before I search for this. I call a corner of our house the gloryhole too, and sometimes, the gory hole

Mamardoit Mon 11-Jan-21 14:55:13

This thread has reminded me of a song. Try looking up 'Silly Slang Song' on YouTube.

There is the version by the guy who I think wrote it. Eric Bogle. I like the version by Gary Williams.