Gransnet forums

Chat

How long is a reasonable time to....

(97 Posts)
BigBertha1 Thu 07-Jan-21 11:16:53

How long is a reasonable time (under current lockdown conditions) to consume a whole bag of Cadbury Buttons (the £1 size). Asking for a friend who was highjacked by a display of the same at the till when she went to buy bread?

ALANaV Sat 09-Jan-21 13:15:37

Ha ha ....love it ....yes, I KNOW the feeling .....I TRY not to buy from those displays, but even in my little local One Stop shop they have reduced chocolate by the till ....this week it was Cadbury Creme eggs ....3 for £1.20 ...WHO could resist ? I am afraid to say I bought 3 and ate one immediately I got home ...but then I had no lunch, and walked for 3 miles along the beach next to me .....so I felt better and less guilt ridden !!grin

HillyN Sat 09-Jan-21 14:20:47

We found 6 chocolate decorations on the Christmas tree when we took it down, As we have 4 GC my DH and I decided to have one each and leave one each for them. However another one seems to have gone (blush) so now there aren't enough for one each. We may have to eat the rest to avoid arguments. grin

Viridian Sat 09-Jan-21 14:25:21

Best to eat them all on the way home in my friend's humble opinion.

Molly10 Sat 09-Jan-21 14:50:40

A reasonable time is very much before your conscience has kicked in therefore the sooner the better, lol. wink

Sharing bags are no longer for sharing ( lockdown rules) grin

This has reminded me I have a large tub of heroes I bought for the young children with disabilities who help in a nearby cafe to share at Christmas. Lockdown prevented them opening pre Christmas. I now have a tub which is crying out open me and a use by date that is looming quicker than I foresee the sun shining on the other side of lockdown so what do I do?

Florida12 Sat 09-Jan-21 15:04:35

Hmm, I don’t know but I have tried it with the Maltesers and I would say 30 minutes. I did feel sick afterwards though. So now I make them last an hour by nibbling all the chocolate off a few, then I suck all the chocolate off the next few until they just disappear, some I just chomp my way through, and some are stuffed under my top lip ready for my Marlon Brando (Don Corleoni) impression.
Lockdown antics, good job I live alone, the cat looks a bit concerned.

Rosina Sat 09-Jan-21 15:15:33

Is this a question of time management or sheer greed? Using both hands would cut down the consumption time, indeed upending the bag into your open mouth would probably be fastest, but if your question is about restraint, I would say go for it and eat them in one go if you want to. You are going to eat them anyway - does it matter if it is over two days, or ten minutes? I find that one or two chocolates just get my taste buds going - I must have more. Enjoy!!

dolphindaisy Sat 09-Jan-21 15:24:00

My friend tells me it's as long as it takes to drink a cup of tea. It seems the secret is to put a couple in your mouth, take a sip of hot tea and let the chocolate slooowly melt, (note to self - must try this in place of carrot batons)

BigBertha1 Sat 09-Jan-21 15:35:20

Rosina I will tell my friend what you say. She's found a box of Florentines now that she is working through. No helping some people.

Nanna58 Sat 09-Jan-21 16:06:02

Would probably have eaten them whilst queuing and would have had to proffer the empty bag for payment!!!!!

B9exchange Sat 09-Jan-21 16:30:40

Hejira I too love the Uxbridge Dictionary, just bought for my son's birthday, and he might not get it!

Aerofoil - chocolate wrapper

Aerobic - chocolate biro

Cardamom - Mothers' Day card etc!

Lizbethann55 Sat 09-Jan-21 16:40:06

Two days!!!! That long!!!!! She deserves a medal!! (A chocolate one obviously). Maltesers take longer if you suck them!

scourw Sat 09-Jan-21 16:46:02

Beechnut - I'm sorry re-what what? Do not recognise this

JaneRn Sat 09-Jan-21 17:17:58

I can eat whole box of Maltesers in an evening, only slightly quicker than I can devour a packet of McVities chocolate digestive biscuits.

Kryptonite Sat 09-Jan-21 17:22:30

A few minutes. One packet is never enough. ?

Wheniwasyourage Sat 09-Jan-21 17:55:09

I hope you're all remembering the important fact that in lockdown the calories from chocolate disappear.

Greciangirl Sat 09-Jan-21 18:10:01

Anyone feel sick after consuming a packet of chocolate buttons?

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 09-Jan-21 21:01:44

Nope

Hetty58 Sat 09-Jan-21 21:25:28

gillyjp, surely, chocolate is 'essential shopping'? It must be - as it's always top of my online order list!

NannieAnnie64 Sat 09-Jan-21 22:22:03

? I'm considering going sugar free as I have the same problem

effalump Sun 10-Jan-21 14:03:14

20-30 minutes I reckon.

maryelizabethsadler Mon 11-Jan-21 14:44:16

...if you use a shoehorn, it's even quicker to cram 'em in!!!