Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday

(93 Posts)
12Michael Fri 08-Jan-21 06:14:25

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark , but its icy and freezing outside here in brackley this morning , must have been one of coldest nights locally .
Today, usual shop ,and maybe get a fish & chip takeaway for lunch as its not to far.
Otherwise stay in .
Take Care, Mick

Gagagran Fri 08-Jan-21 08:06:01

Good Morning all from a very cold (-1.4c) south coast.

Yesterday turned out to be more eventful than planned. We set out to go for our click and collect but the car would not start. Not a flicker. Our collect slot was 8am-9am and by this time it was 8.15am. DD to the rescue - again- she went off to pick up the order while I rang the breakdown service.

Lovely chap turned up in his fully equipped van and soon got the battery charged up for us. He said to run the engine every day to keep it charged. There is no need to be driving around - can just run it in situ. He then helped DD unload our shopping from her car and bring it to the kitchen door. What a star!

Then received some sad news in the afternoon when a neighbour from across the road, came to tell us that our next door neighbour had died from covid on Tuesday. His wife has leukaemia and is sheltering so had asked her to let all the neighbours know. It did give me a wobble. Feels very near home. He was 79 but hale and hearty apart from dodgy knees and always very cheery and chatty. He will be missed.

Please be careful and stay safe everyone. (and warm!)

Sparklefizz Fri 08-Jan-21 08:06:39

Good Morning Mick and all GNs from South Glos. It's dark and chilly here this morning but no snow, thank goodness.

The freezing fog lasted all day yesterday. I watched the last 2 episodes of "Dickensian" (which I highly recommend) and the London fog in the street scenes matched the weather outside my window.

Best wishes to Marydoll and all who are struggling with health problems. So relieved about your son, NanKate.

Stay safe and warm everyone. x

Gingster Fri 08-Jan-21 08:10:23

Good morning all and it looks as though we have had a sprinkling of snow, here in Essex.

Firstly a warm welcome To JanetG. Have an enjoyable 10 days full of things you love to do. ?.

Viridian I love your snail. It’s perfect. ?

Urms so glad your tests are clear. ?.

Canadiangran I hope your night shift passes quickly and you get home to your nice warm bed ?

You are lucky your DH is getting through your job list Beauregard . Mine has lost all motivation and won’t do anything! ?.

Urms it is lovely to catch up with friends ,- phone calls or messages. I spend a good deal of my day chatting and keeping in touch .

Enjoy your full monty Pantglas . That sounds like a good idea ?.

Not much on today, I’m halfway through The Essex Serpent and just started Richard Osmonds book. I can’t seem to get into anything at the moment. ?.

Wishing you all a gentle, relaxing and cosy day. ?

DanniRae Fri 08-Jan-21 08:14:16

Good Morning from a cold but dry south east London. I am planning on joining Mr R for a dog walk in the nearby park this morning where we say "Hi" to the same people everyday.
Two of the over 80's dog walkers had their 2nd vaccinations yesterday - I can't wait to have mine (over 70's group)
In for the rest of the day - Co op delivery this afternoon.
Looking forward to the new series of "Would I lie to you?" tonight - it is such a funny programme!
Take care everyone and keep safe smile

Susan56 Fri 08-Jan-21 08:15:09

Good morning from the Shropshire/Powys border where we have snow☃️

Finally have my ‘urgent’ hospital appointment today so long as the snow doesn’t prevent us from getting there.

Homeschooling again this morning.I don’t know how parents working from home are managing to work,look after younger children and homeschool.

My uncle is still in hospital with Covid,my aunt is still unwell but at home.

I hope that Mary and Cherry have both had a settled night.

Stilllearning Fri 08-Jan-21 08:26:25

Good morning from still icy and snowbound S Lanarkshire. I love the snail viridian, made me smile which was good and changed my mood so thank you.
Glad to hear you are okay Urmston, I’ve been hoping to hear that news. That is a very evocative description of the brightly lit train and station with no passengers, quite a symbol of our times.
Welcome Janet G, I hope this will be a nice start to your days for the next wee while.
My plan for today is to make a plan for the day. It’s all becoming a bit shapeless again which is not good for my morale. Wishing even the best day, and hoping you have had a good night Marydoll

Marydoll Fri 08-Jan-21 08:28:16

Good morning all from my blooming freezing bedroom! Its been snowing here and the heating didn't come on due to DH messing about with it!! ?

Urmston, so glad your tests were ok. Where would we be without our NHS? I had such a positive experience yesterday
I was lying in the bath dozing relaxing, when I could hear my mobile ringing, followed by the house phone. The next minute the bathroom door opened and in appeared DH, phone in hand.
Its the doctor surgery, says he. I gesticulated, pointing out I was actually in the bath. She's lying in the bath, but I'm sure she will want to speak to you!, said DH as he handed me the phone. ? All I could hear were gales of laughter from the phone. The person diplomatically offered to phone me back. ?

It turns out, my surgery now has a pharmacist and she was phoning to organise my new meds. She also offered to sort my repeats and pain relief, without me needing to speak to my GP. Such a change from previous discussions with receptionists after hospital stays. It really took the pressure off me.

Well what are my plans for the day??? Mmmmm? Just like yesterday, nothing!!!
We have a Tesco delivery, which may a bit of a problem, as the road hasn't been gritted and I'm not fit to go out and do it. Believe it or not, lifting the heavy shopping in on Monday is what set things in motion for my heart attack on Monday evening, so DH is in charge today.

I won't clutter up this lovely thread, but will tell you one tale of my hospital stay.
As you know, I like to be super organised, prepared for pestilence, seige, unexpected hospital stays etc,etc, so my hospital bag was already packed and ready for this unexpected hospital visit.
After last year's medical emergency, my children had lectured me about my hospital bag, not being easy to find, The three identical black bags may have been a contributing factor, so I bought a bright yellow, sassy cabin bag, tied the handle with brightly coloured ribbons, so that DH could easily find it!
Did that work, did it heck!!! and you should now see the state of the cupboard it was in (sigh)
When he eventually brought the case down, the paramedics couldn't stop laughing. It still had all the ribbons and labels on it, including the price tags. ( You have to bear in mind, unknown to me at this point, I was having a heart attack in the midst of all this and trying to take my mind of things by chatting in French to the dishy paramedic.) They kept making jokes about taking me to the airport, as did everyone one I came in contact with at the hospital! ?

Very fortunately for me, I was in hospital within half an hour and immediately assessed. Having my phone with me was a godsend, as DH had been told not to phone the hospital for three hours, the staff were snowed under.
I was eventually moved to a receiving ward, because all my tests had to be repeated in six hours, then I realised my battery was nearly flat and I had no charger.
I will gloss over the traumatic experience in that ward and the fact I could no longer shield, due the sheer numbers and lack of beds.
By this time it looked as if I had to be admitted to coronary care, but there were no beds in the whole hospital. ?
I explained to a nurse about the charger and needing to contact DH, she told me that they had bought a lot of chargers for patients to use, but they had been taken home by the patients, who hadn't returned them!

As no visitors were allowed in the hospital, she suggested my husband come to the back of the hospital near the boiler house and pass the charger and some bits and pieces through the window of the ward.
By this time it was pitch black. DH duly arrived, but couldn't find my room. We could see this dodgy figure wandering round and round the staff car park, but he couldn't see us. It was hilarious! Poor DH. I was on my phone giving directions. ^ Left, right, follow the woman in the red coat, go towards the chimney. Eventually, he spotted me in my fetching goonie, sans ties, ( in a mixed ward), signalling from the window. The window wouldn't open!!!!
I was supposed to be on bed rest and chilling. Nae chance of that Hospitals!
Hospitals are entirely different places at the moment. ☹

I just want to wish anyone who has a hospital appointment today, a safe and positive experience. Special thoughts go to travelsafar and her DH, who are both in hospital with Covid.

I have to do a home Covid test today, to be on the safe side and brave the surgery receptionist. The hospital kindly did the routine blood tests I haven't been able to get due to shielding and picked up a change, caused by my RA injections. Onward and upwards!

Thank you all for your lovebombing, it has helped me tremedously and given me such a boost.
God bless you all!

I'm off to practise behaving myself!?

ginny Fri 08-Jan-21 08:29:43

Good Morning. Dull and cold here in N. Bucks.
Pleased to hear about Urms good results. Thoughts to all wit worries or feeling down in any way
I had a big ‘wobble’ last night, had a good cry and gave myself a stern talking to. Not feeling much different this morning but will carry on regardless.

Nothing planned today but as always loosing myself in some kind of craft work will keep me sane.
Hope you all find a ? today.

Oldbutstilluseful Fri 08-Jan-21 08:30:00

Good morning from a very cold and frosty N Hants. Good news Urms just knowing that nothing is lurking helps you to feel better.
Today I’m free from quarantine and so grateful not to have developed symptoms. Happily the family have only had mild, cold like symptoms as well, so even more to be grateful for.
Hope to go for a walk outside if the pavements aren’t slippery, but really don’t fancy going anywhere with people. The virus is so prevalent here.
Hope you had a good night Marydoll and a comfortable day.
Another one who misses Gillybob and Friday girl.
Be safe everyone ???

Lins1066 Fri 08-Jan-21 08:32:21

Good morning Mick and all. It is 2 degrees and icy here on the S Welsh coast, our little puppy slid all over the patio when he went out for his constitutional. Had a lovely walk to the beach yesterday, the tide was in and it was very quiet, only locals walking their dogs. I did wave to Cherry but the Gower coast was hazy.
I will ring the butcher shortly to order some meat for delivery at lunchtime today.
Hope your appointment goes well Susan.
Take care everyone and stay safe.

Alygran Fri 08-Jan-21 08:36:22

Good morning from North Yorkshire where it has just started snowing. I need to go food shopping today and to pick up a prescription for my elderly neighbour so I hope it doesn’t last.
Pleased your tests are ok Urms
Welcome Janet
Thinking of all the poorly people and those who are looking after poorly ones.
Have a good day everyone. Stay safe.

Grammaretto Fri 08-Jan-21 08:37:26

Good Morning from a white-out here in the Scottish Borders. Minus 3.
The deer, neighbour's cats and, squirrels have taken over my garden and don't even run away but look at me as if to say."What are you doing here?"

I won't be going far today. I'm well stocked with chocolate.
The clan should be gathering for Grandpa's funeral next week but instead they are all contributing to an online effort and only a handful of folk will be there in person.

Here are some of the animal prints I saw yesterday.
I hope Marydoll is fast recovering and all others who have been poorly. Great that your tests proved negative Urms

harrigran Fri 08-Jan-21 08:39:54

Georgesgran, I am on the outskirts of Sunderland near the juction of the A690 and the A19.

amselerin Fri 08-Jan-21 08:40:28

Good morning all on this cold and frosty day. Today is market day in our little village where I shall get some fresh fish. Not much, well nothing really is happening here because of the lockdown. As my children live in England I haven`t seen them since last February. Thankfully there is what`s app. But I do miss all of them. The grandchildren grow up so quickly. I have one granddaughter living in Hamburg, but as she is seeing some friends quite often, I am a bit careful. We are allowed one person from another household. Sometimes one gets a bit cheesed off but mostely there is no problem. I am wishing you all a pleasant day. Take care. x

Pittcity Fri 08-Jan-21 08:42:44

Good morning from a cold, frosty Colchester.
5 minute walk to Lidl to get food for the weekend is today's highlight. A short exchange of pleasantries at the checkout makes a change from chatting with DH and DSgrin

Urmstongran Fri 08-Jan-21 08:44:23

Best wishes from me Susan56 re your urgent appointment today. I hope it goes well for you.

Greyduster Fri 08-Jan-21 08:47:10

Good morning, Michael and all GNs from a very cold and murky South Yorkshire. At least the heating came on this morning, unlike yesterday. We expected to wake up to snow but as yet it hasn’t materialised. Hope it doesn’t! Nothing much to do this morning except sort out some financial stuff and defrost the freezer. Maybe fish and chips for lunch for a change. Not going out today - we had a fairly long walk yesterday and it was hard going as there was ice everywhere so you had to think about every step. Have a good day folks.

PollyDolly Fri 08-Jan-21 08:51:23

Good morning everyone! Marydoll, I'm so pleased that you are home and on the mend and thank you for such an entertaining contribution this morning! It is overcast and cold in Nottinghamshire this morning and apparently, snow is forecast.
I love the snail viridian, where did you find the pattern, could you PM me please to let me know?
I have nothing particular planned for today, craftng and sewing does require good daylight and that is sadly lacking today.
Warm wishes to you all, stay safe, stay positive!

Marydoll Fri 08-Jan-21 08:53:53

I meant to say to Viridian, I still only have three twigs, no buds !!!

dragonfly46 Fri 08-Jan-21 08:54:21

Good morning from as kitty says a perishing cold Leicestershire.

Doctor ringing today to discuss my medication. Good GP practices are worth their weight in gold aren’t they Marydoll?

Ginny I know just how you feel flowers.

Anniebach Fri 08-Jan-21 08:54:45

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Jaxjacky Fri 08-Jan-21 08:56:22

Good morning all from a cold, frosty S. Hants. Welcome Janet this is the cheeriest thread. DH has his work jeans on, I think he’s going to put up some kitchen shelves today using the left over quartz from the work surfaces. We too enjoyed Death in Paradise last night, it’s a bit daft, but entertaining. Final tinkering of shopping list of shopping to be delivered tomorrow, a walk when the frost has gone. I must also contact the library, they have a scheme where they select books for you from the genres chosen, then you collect. It works well and my one must have is books to read at bedtime. Have a gentle day all, especially Marydoll

GrannyGravy13 Fri 08-Jan-21 08:58:02

Good morning Muck and all

Urmstongran so pleased all your tests were ok, perhaps you can relax a bit now????. Cute snail Viridian Never dull when Marydoll is around ?

Home schooling the 5yr old today including live zoom session with their teacher!!!
Washing machine was not able to be repaired so new one being installed tomorrow yippee!

Keep safe and well well folks ?‍♀️

Georgesgran Fri 08-Jan-21 08:58:28

Thanks Harrigran - you’re nearer the sea than us. We are just outside Durham City and both DDs are Over the Tyne in Newcastle. X

Mapleleaf Fri 08-Jan-21 09:00:29

Good morning all from a cold, grey, dismal South Yorkshire. The forecast has changed from what it said it would do today. Instead of the forecast heavy snow showers, its changed to sleety showers (though its not doing that at the moment, either). I think I'd have preferred the snow to sleet.

The young gardener came yesterday and trimmed all the spindly growth from the magnolia which has reduced its height by a couple of feet, so it looks much better. Money well spent, as he takes the clippings away with him and also the old leaves that had fallen underneath it.

Hope your appointment is alright today, Susan56, and good to read some of your adventures at the hospital, Marydoll, but hope you will rest up today and avoid unnecessary excitement/adventures ??.

Take care, everyone.