Gransnet forums

Chat

Is this allowable do you think ?

(134 Posts)
NanKate Sat 09-Jan-21 13:54:46

About 4 miles from our home is NT Cliveden which has a massive estate to walk round with an Oriental, Long, Rose Gardens, plus woods to explore.

We have been going regularly for our exercise and the tickets have to be bought online and numbers are regulated. They also have a kiosk for take away coffee and snacks.

We are due to go again this coming week. We now have our coffee and biscuits brought from home in the car on arrival to avoid going to the kiosk.

DH thinks the police could say we have driven too far and are having a mini picnic. If they allowed in only those folks who live nearby, they would have virtually no one visiting as it is in countryside.

It’s a toss up whether we go or not.

Madwoman11 Wed 13-Jan-21 10:32:12

Sorry I'm in West Yorkshire

Madwoman11 Wed 13-Jan-21 10:30:59

It's all over the news atm

Greeneyedgirl Tue 12-Jan-21 14:28:59

Thanks sart didn’t think of that. At least it’s clear for you.

sart Tue 12-Jan-21 13:40:18

Maybe Madwoman, like me is in Wales. We are supposed to take our daily exercise from our front door and not travel to exercise

Greeneyedgirl Tue 12-Jan-21 13:08:13

Where does it say you can’t travel to your walk Madwoman?

lemsip Tue 12-Jan-21 09:23:32

many thanks Maggiemaybe

Madwoman11 Tue 12-Jan-21 09:23:16

No you aren't allowed to travel for your walk now. The police are fining people and are hell bent on stopping such things. You can go out for a walk close to home though, but from what I heard yesterday even having tea could be classed as a picnic and therefore you could be fined.

ExD Tue 12-Jan-21 09:02:45

Its not 'clever' finding a way round the corona regulations.

Calendargirl Sun 10-Jan-21 17:50:42

Peasblossom

Lemongrove the Chief Constable reacted to media and criticised his own police force, indicating the approach would be changed.

Totally pulled the rug on a situation they were getting control of and I bet this weekend there’ll be loads of visitors to the Peak District.

Shame on him.

I agree. He should have supported his officers, not backed down when there was an outcry.

NanKate Sun 10-Jan-21 17:38:15

Thanks for all your remarks both for and against. Until we have had both vaccinations we are staying put.

25Avalon Sun 10-Jan-21 14:03:07

You can now go fishingsmile provided it’s local of course.

Just seen pictures of Clapham Common yesterday. Glad I don’t live there. So many about, no proper distancing, and hardly any masks.

Maggiemaybe Sun 10-Jan-21 13:47:56

Well, I hope you enjoy it, Doodledog.

Doodledog Sun 10-Jan-21 13:08:58

Maggiemaybe

lemsip

you can also exercise and walk at home if not fit enough to go for a walk! lots on you tube. gentle exercise!

I don’t see anything wrong with lemsip’s post, Doodledog, in fact it’s helpful advice to those who haven’t thought of it. I’m fit and well, yet do lots of YouTube exercise to supplement the outside walks, or to replace them if the weather’s too bad to go out.

I’d recommend Fabulous Fifties, even though I’m, ahem, slightly over that age.

It may seem like helpful advice to someone who is 'supplementing outside walks', but that part of your post is what is so insensitive about lemisp's one.

I am constantly hearing people say that they are 'obeying the rules' and 'not going out', when in fact they go out every day for a walk, shop, to the hairdresser or chiropodist (when open) and so on.

For people like me, who are not leaving the house at all, it can be really upsetting to hear people doing all of these things saying that we shouldn't even sit on a bench to get our breath back if we did the things that they are doing every day. At best it is insensitive, and at worst it can come across as dictatorial, particularly when punctuated with exclamation marks.

Not leaving the house for months means that you don't see the seasons change, see others going about their lives - in fact see anyone other than the postman and others delivering things. You don't meet family members, get sunlight, feel part of your local community, or any of the things that the majority of people (even those obeying the rules) do all the time.

I'm not going to drone on about my own situation, as it's boring for others and it's not a contest to see who is having the worst time, but I am worried about my health, as I was having investigations into my breathlessness when the virus struck, and these have dried up, so I don't know what is wrong with me, which is scary enough, but not being able to exercise or get fresh air doesn't help.

Frankly, that post, and others like it, can make things seem so much worse. I don't suppose they are meant to be unkind, but that doesn't lessen the impact. Of course we will have thought about indoor exercise. My point is that it does not begin to compare with going outside, which is the very reason that those who can are so keen on their own 'daily exercise'.

I am staying indoors, so there is no question of my not 'obeying the rules', or looking for ways to bend them. I am not saying that I am going to sit on a bench, but just asking those who are so keen to lecture everyone else to think about what they are saying sometimes.

Finally, thank you Maggiemaybe for your Fabulous Fifties recommendation smile. That is constructive advice and I will check it out.

GagaJo Sun 10-Jan-21 11:51:22

An example.

In the summer, when the lockdown was eased, I was STILL very careful. Only going to the local shop in the evening when it was just me and the shopkeeper. Otherwise, online deliveries. I took to taking GS to the beach near us (4 or 5 mile drive). It is a big, deserted beach. Not a tourist destination (yet, I have spotted the beginnings of gentrification). Most of the time it was lovely. Just me and GS, rock pools, sea gulls, miles of empty beach.

On REALLY hot days though, there were a few more people there. Very easy to distance though. No need to get more than 50 metres closer. Yet people would STILL walk right up to us. On one occasion, I had to run up to GS, who was poodling in the surf, and grab him out of the way of a woman who was less than a metre away.

YOU may not be the problem. You can be masked, distanced, but others make stupid choices. And the stupid choices of others could give you covid. And thus, the spread is perpetuated.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 10-Jan-21 11:47:03

Totally agree ExD I miss my GC and AC so much, but by staying home and away from people I am hoping that it will help bring an end to this living nightmare.

ExD Sun 10-Jan-21 11:37:36

I think we must stop thinking of ourselves as special cases. If everyone drove 4 miles to walk for an hour it'd be chaos, but if
you are the only one then there's probably no harm done.
But we are just one of many and have to be unselfish, no-one is so special they can break the rules. Grow up.

Jaxjacky Sun 10-Jan-21 11:33:31

I hope the 1 hour a day only rule for exercise is bought back, no surmising.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 10-Jan-21 11:31:23

GagaJo

GG13, I think the army is needed. Still so many not taking it seriously, just thinking of ways around it to make their lives nicer. Perhaps if we ALL thought about how to behave from the viewpoint of an ICU nurse, we might make better choices.

I haven't got a problem with the Armed Services being deployed, we have an AC who is an Officer in the Armed Services. The Forces been very much involved since the beginning of the Pandemic.

I do think that a large percentage of the population would feel that having soldiers boots on our streets to be unpalatable and totally unacceptable.

GagaJo Sun 10-Jan-21 11:24:02

GG13, I think the army is needed. Still so many not taking it seriously, just thinking of ways around it to make their lives nicer. Perhaps if we ALL thought about how to behave from the viewpoint of an ICU nurse, we might make better choices.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 10-Jan-21 11:21:17

I would absolutely love to go to our local RHS Gardens and walk for a couple of hours however, it is a 15 minute drive and my interpretation of the current rules is that the drive would break the rules.

One of our AC lives by the beach, I would love to drive down to them (again a 15 minute drive) and walk with our GC along the beach, again we are not.

Despite the council closing all carparks along the seafront, people are still driving to the beach, these folks are blocking the surrounding streets, in some cases blocking drives. If an emergency services vehicle was needed access in some roads is totally impossible.

I just really do not know what part of stay home to protect the NHS people do not understand. If the flouting of the rules continues would you all be happy to see our Armed Forces deployed on U.K. Streets to police/enforce the law?

Peasblossom Sun 10-Jan-21 11:12:20

If you don’t HAVE TO be out there, don’t go. Just for a couple of weeks. Protect yourself if you don’t care about anyone else.

This is not like the first wave. It’s so much more infectious and nobody knows what’s safe. It’s in the air where the last person walked. 2, 3, 4 metres transmission, nobody knows.

Am I scaremongering? It is scarey.

My nephew worked 72hrs in ICU because he was the only fully qualified doctor. The only one with the expertise to intubate fragile elderly patients.

This is desperate.

GagaJo Sun 10-Jan-21 10:59:40

We all also need to remember, that the government that is setting the rules has partially led to the situation we are in.

Can we need be sensible ourselves? Just because something is technically within the rules they have set, doesn't make it OK.

GagaJo Sun 10-Jan-21 10:58:36

We are supposed to be all in this together. We ALL need to take extreme measures to try to combat the virus.

If we ALL 'just' drive 4 miles for a nice walk, then we ALL are contributing to the virus. Cars break down. People come into contact accidentally/incidentally on the walk. The virus spreads.

If everyone JUST does one daft thing, things will get worse and worse. The plague killed 50% of the British population. Is that what we are heading towards because everyone things their 'JUST' a short journey/exception is OK?

Maggiemaybe Sun 10-Jan-21 09:51:40

lemsip

you can also exercise and walk at home if not fit enough to go for a walk! lots on you tube. gentle exercise!

I don’t see anything wrong with lemsip’s post, Doodledog, in fact it’s helpful advice to those who haven’t thought of it. I’m fit and well, yet do lots of YouTube exercise to supplement the outside walks, or to replace them if the weather’s too bad to go out.

I’d recommend Fabulous Fifties, even though I’m, ahem, slightly over that age.

25Avalon Sun 10-Jan-21 08:47:38

As I said before your local area is described as village, town or part of city where you live.