Gransnet forums

Chat

Is this allowable do you think ?

(133 Posts)
NanKate Sat 09-Jan-21 13:54:46

About 4 miles from our home is NT Cliveden which has a massive estate to walk round with an Oriental, Long, Rose Gardens, plus woods to explore.

We have been going regularly for our exercise and the tickets have to be bought online and numbers are regulated. They also have a kiosk for take away coffee and snacks.

We are due to go again this coming week. We now have our coffee and biscuits brought from home in the car on arrival to avoid going to the kiosk.

DH thinks the police could say we have driven too far and are having a mini picnic. If they allowed in only those folks who live nearby, they would have virtually no one visiting as it is in countryside.

It’s a toss up whether we go or not.

FannyCornforth Sat 09-Jan-21 13:57:47

According to events this week, no it isn't permissable.

EllanVannin Sat 09-Jan-21 14:02:12

Nobody should even be leaving the house except for chemists or hospital appointments.

Sara1954 Sat 09-Jan-21 14:02:17

We are in a similar quandary Nan Kate, we have been visiting gardens about six miles away, which have stayed open throughout. Lovely walks, all their restaurants are closed, but they sell hot snacks, it’s been a lifesaver, the children can run around, and there are plenty of quiet places to just sit!
Following this weeks news regarding walkers, I’m no longer sure it’s allowed.

Georgesgran Sat 09-Jan-21 14:04:13

Not much help from me - it’s all just getting too complicated for my little brain! Last week, I met a friend for a walk at a nearby country park and we bought coffee on site, which we took into the carpark. A member of staff came out and told us we had to leave as we were ‘congregating’ which wasn’t allowed.

Greeneyedgirl Sat 09-Jan-21 14:07:07

We are the same with NT grounds which are still open, and where we regularly book to visit, about 5 miles out of town. They would have no visitors if people didn’t drive there and where it is a good deal safer to walk than our immediately local, busy environment.

Greeneyedgirl Sat 09-Jan-21 14:09:13

EV You are allowed to meet one person from another household to walk, provided you don’t stop and sit down.....

J52 Sat 09-Jan-21 14:10:03

Personally, I wouldn’t travel to get to a walk venue. But, not everyone has pleasant waking areas nearby.
However, I have been walking locally from my house and taking a flask of hot chocolate! I now feel as if I’ve done wrong.
None of this is helping people cope with Lockdown.

Viridian Sat 09-Jan-21 14:13:03

It sounds a bit far to me in the circumstances but as 'local' hasn't been defined exactly I'm not being a judge. I walked 3 minutes from my flat to my local harbourfront yesterday and had to sit on a bench for a few minutes because I'm on crutches. Someone came over and told me I was breaking the law. It's tricky because exercise and fresh air is so important to our wellbeing. I think the Gov need to be more exact about what they mean by local and exercise.

Greeneyedgirl Sat 09-Jan-21 14:14:48

Staying in your “local area” is stated , but no distance stipulated for local area, so it is open to interpretation.

Greeneyedgirl Sat 09-Jan-21 14:15:31

Sorry cross post Viridian I agree.

EllanVannin Sat 09-Jan-21 14:19:42

Like it or not we have to stay put indoors away from people. This is the whole idea of reducing infection.
How many hundreds will now be saying " lets go for a walk ?" Everyone will have the same idea and before you know it many people will be passing you, joggers for instance. There are many carriers who are totally unaware if they're not ill themselves and this has been the danger all along and still is.

If you're leaving the house, it has to be for a good reason. If this virus was airborne you'd have no choice but to remain indoors. Nobody knows where the virus is lurking, but it'll find you no problem and strikes suddenly. How you fight it is up to you and how your system copes.

Vickysponge Sat 09-Jan-21 14:21:37

Absolutely not.

Greeneyedgirl Sat 09-Jan-21 14:39:06

There is an interesting article in the New Statesman today about airborne transmission, and that many people may think they are following the government guidelines, but do not understand the science of airborne transmission.

Definitely more risky indoors, and it’s a pity the government is not explaining risk of small droplet (aerosol) transmission more.

paddyanne Sat 09-Jan-21 14:43:06

Last weekend two young men decided to "go for a walk" in Arrochar ,well up a mountain in Arrochar.One hurt his leg .It took 25 mountain rescue people over a hundred man hours to get them down safely .
Now THATS stupidity ,ambulances on standby when they could be used many times while they wait for the injured .
I know its different from walking in a park but as the aim is to avoid overloading the NHS then driving for a walk isn't sensible .During the first lockdown we were inundated by peole who had never walked to their local shops before ,they parked cars across emergency vehicles paths outside the childrens hospice and blocked narrow roads.A wee bit of common sense should be used

Sarahmob Sat 09-Jan-21 14:44:46

Ellanvannin you must be one of the lucky people who have no problem getting online groceries delivered. Round here we can’t get a delivery slot for love nor money. My husband and I are both key workers too so have to venture out. I’d love to be retired and be able to stay in all day every day.

Sara1954 Sat 09-Jan-21 14:48:02

I agree we should be careful, extremely careful in fact. But fresh air and exercise are really important to our physical and mental well-being, and a socially distanced walk around a NT property, doesn’t seem any worse than walking around my village passing people on the pavement.

JenniferEccles Sat 09-Jan-21 14:56:01

Clevedon is lovely isn’t it? We are not too far away but more like twenty miles so we had probably better wait a bit before going back !

Knowing how large the grounds are and as you are so close I would say go. There is plenty of room for you to avoid others which isn’t always the case when walking from home, especially for those who live in built up areas.

The majority of people who visit National Trust properties go by car as they are usually in rural settings.

The grounds are open which means we are allowed to visit.

It sounds like a lovely day out inthe fresh air and getting exercise!

janeainsworth Sat 09-Jan-21 14:56:49

ellanvannin Nobody should even be leaving the house except for chemists or hospital appointments
Sorry but that’s total nonsense.
You’re allowed to go out shopping for food and you’re allowed to go out to exercise, provided you stay in your own village, town or urban area.

I do think the guidelines should be more specific about what constitutes a local area.
Specifying walking or cycling from home would be more helpful.
The risks of contracting the virus outdoors are extremely low and are outweighed by the benefit of outdoor exercise.

Peasblossom Sat 09-Jan-21 15:01:42

No it doesn’t. It probably isn’t. The point is that if one person can decide to to drive to a walk 4 miles away another person can decide to walk up Arrochar. They’re both making a decision that they’ve weighed up and think is ok.

Unless you think it won’t matter what you do. You’re only one person stretching it a bit. You and 65 million others.

PECS Sat 09-Jan-21 15:03:24

It is absolutely permissable to leave the house for exercise.
What has happened with the apparent tightening of the rules i.e. stay local is causing chaos!
I can walk to a lovely local park which has a great walk around a lake but the world and her wife are there now and it is incredibly busy. I can also easily walk to access the tow path along our local canal but that too is much busier because of the 'stay local' advice. I can drive to a NT arboretum , which I did last Wednesday, and it was almost deserted. I could also get to RHSWisley in 15-20 minutes and have far a more secluded walk.

Another case of this cabinet's poorly thought through 'guidance'. Far too open to every fool's 'common sense' instead of providing clearly defined instructions.

Peasblossom Sat 09-Jan-21 15:06:14

Actually, that may not be true of this new variant in this climate. The droplets can hang about in a damp atmosphere and don’t fall to the ground. And are much more contagious.

Liz46 Sat 09-Jan-21 15:06:57

During the first lockdown I didn't leave the house for six weeks and was becoming weak. Now we go out for a walk every day and find that people are very considerate about keeping their distance. The only problem is avoiding schoolchildren so we check the clock before we go out.

Peasblossom Sat 09-Jan-21 15:08:13

But if everyone did that Pecs it wouldn’t be almost deserted. Suppose all of London took that short trip down the A3.

Everyone else stay at home to keep it deserted for you?

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 09-Jan-21 15:10:16

I understand it as a walk, not a drive and then a walk, then only locally, no sitting.
I met 1 other person yesterday, going in the opposite direction - and none today.