Gransnet forums

Chat

And about time, too!

(156 Posts)
Witzend Mon 11-Jan-21 07:44:52

Front page headline in today’s Times: ‘Shops told to get tough on the Covid rule breakers.’

I dare say I’ve posted before about people in shops wearing masks under their noses or on their chins, or not at all with no lanyard, and nobody ever saying anything. Or at least not that I’ve ever seen.

Only yesterday a young bloke just ahead of me at the checkout at the Sainsbury’s local, was wearing his mask under his nose, and a young couple strolled in, neither wearing either mask or lanyard.

The placard outside says customers ‘are required to wear a mask unless you’re exempt or have a reasonable excuse.’
Far too lame IMO. In France the signs say ‘Masks obligatory’ -
no messing.

Saetana Thu 14-Jan-21 18:15:53

Anyone who is having trouble wearing a mask should try the medical type disposables - mine have a small gap at each side where more air can get through. My husband (COPD) can cope with these better than the really tight stretchy cloth masks. Plus they are waterproof on the inside, which is a bonus if you suffer from menopausal sweating like me at the moment grin However, when I had to go to Asda to do the Christmas shop (not a delivery slot in sight) I went through three masks on that trip as I was so stressed and sweaty.

Regarding supermarkets enforcing masks - this should be done at the entrance by the security staff. No way should a counter assistant have to challenge anyone about wearing a mask! Our local Co-op and Tesco Express both have security on the door almost all the time - unless its very quiet - to make sure too many people do not enter the shop at the same time, and I assume they will now police mask wearing as well. I went to our local Esso earlier to grab a carton of milk - two young women in there, only one with a mask.

JenniferEccles Thu 14-Jan-21 10:07:36

I was in Sainsbury’s earlier this week. It’s a big out of town branch with a large clothing and homeware section so the potential is there to attract a fair number of customers especially now with all non essential shops closed.

Out of interest I asked the cashier if there had been many staff off sick with covid over the past few months and the answer was no, hardly anyone.

So Hetty58 I think that disproves your very over dramatic statement that supermarkets are dangerous places, don’t you?!

Summerlove Thu 14-Jan-21 02:43:49

Hetty58

I'm flabbergasted that people still want to go into supermarkets. Don't people realise how dangerous it is?

Some people do not have a choice

Doodledog Wed 13-Jan-21 21:13:10

Tweedle24

I have just seen, on the BBC news, horrendous footage of supermarket staff being physically and verbally attacked for asking people to wear masks.

As has been said, there should be security staff on hand and they need to be properly trained to deal with aggression, as are night club bouncers. Our local shopping centre has a few security officers floating around but, I understand, they are not fully trained so can only do so much to help.

That is ridiculous! Shop assistants shouldn't be expected to deal with this sort of thing. I completely agree that there should be qualified security staff on the door - they are (or were!) there guarding the entrance to city centre 7/11 type supermarkets, so it's not unheard of.

I think that employers have a duty of care to their staff, and if it could be reasonably predicted that they might be in danger of attack it should be up to them to provide protection. It's not as though they aren't making a lot of money from the pandemic.

Hetty58 Wed 13-Jan-21 20:47:10

I'm flabbergasted that people still want to go into supermarkets. Don't people realise how dangerous it is?

Saetana Wed 13-Jan-21 20:43:17

@maddyone sending best wishes and hope you get better soon flowers

Tweedle24 Wed 13-Jan-21 09:05:19

I have just seen, on the BBC news, horrendous footage of supermarket staff being physically and verbally attacked for asking people to wear masks.

As has been said, there should be security staff on hand and they need to be properly trained to deal with aggression, as are night club bouncers. Our local shopping centre has a few security officers floating around but, I understand, they are not fully trained so can only do so much to help.

GrannyRose15 Wed 13-Jan-21 01:06:05

Blossoming

GrannyRose15

Blossoming

GrannyRose15. No, I don’t want to live in a country such as you describe. That is why I believe we should all follow the rules, wear masks outside and do everything we can to help stop the spread of this awful disease.

Freedoms once lost are very difficult to regain.

Life once lost is impossible to regain.

But I'm not talking about my life or my freedom. I am talking about that of my grandchildren and generations to come. I want them to have the freedoms we once had in this country: the freedoms my father spent six years of his life fighting for.

Mollygo Tue 12-Jan-21 21:21:21

Glad you are well enough to go home maddyone. It must have been so frightening. Once you are feeling better, do share your experiences here so people will know more about how it actually feels.

Doodledog Tue 12-Jan-21 18:42:17

I know there are some "none believers" on here.

I don't know how anyone could not believe now. I would have thought that everyone would know personally, or at least know of someone who has had the virus.

I've never understood the thinking behind the conspiracy theories. Why would numerous governments conspire to wreck their economies and go to elaborate lengths to trick populations into thinking there is a pandemic? It just makes no sense.

cornishpatsy Tue 12-Jan-21 17:34:21

I am one of those people that walk past the hand sanitising station because I put it on in the car before I go in. It is a good quality one that lasts 4 hours and is moisturising.

Lizbethann55 Tue 12-Jan-21 17:33:16

Maddyone so many good wishes to you. I hope you make a full and fast recovery and are able to give yourself time to rest and recuperate. I know there are some "none believers" on here. I hope they have read your comments. Perhaps when you are up to it, you could tell us your Covid experience in the hope that those who think they are safe and that it is "only the flu" will realise that it is far from it.

stillnotginger an excellent idea! That would definitely have kept all the young men safely behind their doors!!!??

Doodledog Tue 12-Jan-21 17:28:39

Yes of course asthma makes breathing worse (than normal); but wearing a mask makes my breathing worse than it would normally be, given that I have asthma. This is why I don't go out.

My 'normal' breathing is worse than that of someone without asthma, but with a mask it is worse than the breathing of an asthmatic, which in my case (although maybe not yours) is enough for me to have stayed indoors for ten very long months.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 12-Jan-21 17:27:16

Pleased you are back home maddyone take care and rest lots.

I am also asthmatic, take multiple meds daily if I have to go out I wear a mask. Do I like it - definitely not but it would not enter my mind not to wear a mask.

maddyone Tue 12-Jan-21 17:13:28

I have asthma too. That’s the reason I ended up so unwell. Asthma makes breathing worse, not masks.

Doodledog Tue 12-Jan-21 17:11:04

maddyone

Doodledog
I’m sorry but it’s NOT the mask that leaves you unable to breathe, it’s your medical breathing problems that leave you unable to breathe, not the mask. By pedalling rubbish you are adding to the problem. I’m in hospital right now with Covid and have been here now since 1st January. I’m improving gradually but cannot go home until I’m able to breathe without oxygen support. I’m on a mountain of drugs which thankfully are beginning to make me better. I was very seriously ill when I was admitted I thought it a real possibility I might die. I have asthma and now I have Covid scarring on my lungs which my consultant tells me is unlikely to go but may improve a bit. It really annoys me when people peddle myths. Masks do not stop your breathing, your medical condition causes the problem. Be honest.

I am really sorry to hear you are ill, Maddyone, and to hear that you may have scarring to make your asthma worse.

However, I must object to being called dishonest, and being told that I am 'peddling rubbish'. What I am doing is speaking from my own experience, which is very definitely that given my breathing problems, wearing a mask makes things very difficult for me, and I can only walk for a couple of minuted before getting very breathless.

I 'solve' that problem by staying indoors, so I am not going out without a mask, which I said in my earlier post. How is that being dishonest or 'peddling rubbish'? Yes, I have a pre-existing condition, asthma, and I was having investigations into another (as yet undiagnosed) breathing problem until Covid stopped the appointments, but what I said was that wearing a mask makes my breathing worse. Which it does.

maddyone Tue 12-Jan-21 17:06:21

Thank you Summerlove I’m now at home at long last. It is wonderful to be here and be warm and comfortable. I’ve just been upstairs to sort out my bag, I felt as if I was 100 years old struggling up the stairs. It’s going to be a long way back, the consultant said at least six weeks, and possibly more. I’ve been told to eat high class protein such as meat, luckily I’m not vegetarian although I love vegetarian food. Apparently the Covid ravages your body and we need more protein to rebuild it and mend the ravaged tissues. My daughter has delivered some high class food to the house, along with a bit of the twins birthday cake for me. She didn’t need to as we have some lovely food in already, but as she had to go out to get her daughter a Covid test, she dropped a few things off. Some lovely high protein Granola for the morning. She’s just out of isolation as herself and her husband have both had Covid. I will get well, but I realise it’s going to take time. Any of you out there who get Covid, eat first class protein.

SueDonim Tue 12-Jan-21 17:01:05

I’m sorry you’ve been so ill, Maddyone. I had no idea. Glad to hear that you should be able to go home today. flowers

All four of my adult children are asthmatic. All four of them wear a mask when out, especially the youngest who has just qualified as a doctor and has been working on the front line since April, wearing a mask sometimes for 13 hours a day. It’s not a big ask for everyone to wear a mask just while they do their shop and if they can’t, then either a delivery or someone bringing their shopping to them is the answer.

Franbern Tue 12-Jan-21 15:31:10

I have COPD and am very claustrophobic. Have worn a mask inside supermarket since April. No way would I go into one without wearing a mask.

Did manage it earlier in the year, but now I have purchased those small mask holders. These cost very little, are washable, and hold any mask away from my nose and mouth - thus making them far more comfortable for me.

Do wonder how many of those who say they are unable to wear a mask even for a short time, it is more in their mind, than actual any physical reasoPen.

I have been given to understand that those see through face visors are not safe by themselves - I have started to use one of those in addition to my mask, when going for my weekly supermarket shop, as it covers my eyes as well.

Not sure if ANY sort of exemption should be permitted at present from wearing a mask.

Blossoming Tue 12-Jan-21 14:41:55

Update from The Independent 15 minutes ago.

All of Britain’s big four supermarkets have now said they will refuse entry to customers not wearing masks.

Both Tesco and Asda announced the new policy on Tuesday afternoon after Morrisons and Sainsbury’s had earlier led the way.

Summerlove Tue 12-Jan-21 14:07:02

maddyone

Doodledog
I’m sorry but it’s NOT the mask that leaves you unable to breathe, it’s your medical breathing problems that leave you unable to breathe, not the mask. By pedalling rubbish you are adding to the problem. I’m in hospital right now with Covid and have been here now since 1st January. I’m improving gradually but cannot go home until I’m able to breathe without oxygen support. I’m on a mountain of drugs which thankfully are beginning to make me better. I was very seriously ill when I was admitted I thought it a real possibility I might die. I have asthma and now I have Covid scarring on my lungs which my consultant tells me is unlikely to go but may improve a bit. It really annoys me when people peddle myths. Masks do not stop your breathing, your medical condition causes the problem. Be honest.

I’m so sorry you are Ill.

Best wishes on a speedy recovery

JenniferEccles Tue 12-Jan-21 13:04:05

That’s great news maddyone!I bet you can’t wait. Your home will look so welcoming after over a week in hospital under these scary circumstances.
I’m very pleased for you.

maddyone Tue 12-Jan-21 12:41:18

Thank you Wheniwasyourage I can’t wait to get my discharge notice and be on my way.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 12-Jan-21 10:02:58

Best wishes maddyone. I hope your return home goes smoothly and that you feel better soon. I'm sure being at home will be a big boost in itself. flowers brew

maddyone Tue 12-Jan-21 09:55:21

Jennifer thank you so much for good wishes. The best news is I’ve been told I can go home today. My oxygen saturation is now okay without support so I can be at home. They have to provide a discharge notice and then I can be picked by my husband. I’ve been here twelve days, and I’m truly ready for home.