Gransnet forums

Chat

Groan. Doesn’t M&S ever learn?

(40 Posts)
Spidergran3 Mon 11-Jan-21 19:44:34

Just read that M&S have bought the Jaeger label. I despair. Is it just me?

Blossoming Mon 11-Jan-21 19:46:47

Why is that Spidergran3?

MawBe Mon 11-Jan-21 19:48:06

Better than seeing it disappear.
This may be the shot in the arm M&S need!

Desdemona Mon 11-Jan-21 19:53:32

Why did Jaeger fail in the first place?

Spidergran3 Mon 11-Jan-21 19:59:23

Blossoming

Why is that Spidergran3?

They are SO old fashioned and as Desdomona said - why did they fail in the first place...

Jane10 Mon 11-Jan-21 20:07:25

I love Jaeger clothes. Beautiful quality and sleek classic styles. I was very pleased to learn M&S had bought them.

Lucca Mon 11-Jan-21 20:08:28

Well I can’t afford jaeger but I’d say they were classic/smart rather than old fashioned?

Georgesgran Mon 11-Jan-21 20:09:16

I think Jaeger was bought by the chap who owns Edinburgh Wool Mills and Peacocks? Perhaps he’s selling off parts? I’ve Jaeger blazers I’ve had 20 years!

lemongrove Mon 11-Jan-21 20:11:11

Being a Yorkshire cheapskate I have never shopped at Jaegar (how much?! ) but if M&S have bought the label it will be interesting to see what they actually do.

MawBe Mon 11-Jan-21 20:14:36

Jane10

I love Jaeger clothes. Beautiful quality and sleek classic styles. I was very pleased to learn M&S had bought them.

Me too Jane10

BlueBelle Mon 11-Jan-21 20:17:23

Me too lemongrove no one in my circle wears Jeager but they do look pretty boring and too classic for me anyway

GrannyGravy13 Mon 11-Jan-21 20:17:42

I am early 60’s and Jaegar is classic I have several pieces which mix and match with trendy items. Looking forward to seeing what M & S produces.

M0nica Mon 11-Jan-21 20:20:55

When I was working I had 2 jaeger suits, both bought in the sale. They failed, initially because the market for the kind of really smart work clothes they made faded and they were expensive.

They were bought up, or rather the name and brand was purchased, by a private equity firm about 10 years ago, who in turn sold it to Edinburgh Woollen Mills, who owned a stable of brands. They went bust about 6 months ago.

M&S will have just bought the brand name. It will be interesting to see what they make of it.

Grandma70s Mon 11-Jan-21 20:23:24

I had a fabulous Jaeger coat in the 1960s. A friend whose opinion I respected showed me a photo of it in a magazine and said it would suit me. I went straight out and bought it. Yes, expensive, but absolutely worth every penny. ,

I can’t say I’ve noticed Jaeger for years. I didn’t really know they still existed.

Buffybee Mon 11-Jan-21 20:42:57

I have a pure wool Jaeger cardigan, I have had it years and it washes and washes, no bobbling and still looks like new.

Marydoll Mon 11-Jan-21 20:45:33

Before lockdown I spotted a beautiful Jaegar coat in Bonmarche for only £50. I was sorely tempted, but DH would have had a fit, I could open a coat shop! wink

Coolgran65 Mon 11-Jan-21 20:56:07

My 'good coat' is 3 years old. It's a Jaeger charcoal wool/cashmere single breasted with pockets and a back vent. It's my funeral coat. It dresses up jeans and trainers. I love it. It was in TKMAX at £39.
Best buy ever. I hope M & S keep the Jaeger styling with class and elegance.

Chewbacca Mon 11-Jan-21 21:59:45

I bought a Jaeger coat and smart black trousers in their closing down sale a few years ago. Even at 50% off, they were still quite expensive, but they've worn very well and haven't dated.

Casdon Mon 11-Jan-21 22:06:14

My 30 year old daughter bought a beautiful navy cashmere Jaeger coat last winter, classic but definitely not old fashioned. I hope M&S keep the quality, and improve their range accordingly, I haven’t bought anything from M&S for ages as the quality now is dreadful, and there are far too many floral man made fibre items for my taste - my 92 year old mum would say they were too old for her!

Blossoming Mon 11-Jan-21 22:17:40

Thanks Spidergran3 let’s see what happens ?

NotTooOld Mon 11-Jan-21 22:20:23

As someone upthread has said, MnS will have just bought the name. What they do with it will be up to them. I can't say I have much faith in them to produce anything good!

Dinahmo Mon 11-Jan-21 22:26:27

I have a full length navy blue cashmere and wool mix coat and also a mac in a similar shape both of which were bought many years ago. They are stylish and classic and swirl when I walk and I love them.

My best Jaeger buy was a two layered zip up jacket with a hood. The bottom layer is wool and the top was rain coat material. The two could be worn together or separately so was very versatile. Sadly I lost the top layer at Stansted airport and the lining of the of the other layer is torn. I now wear it for gardening. It was expensive but good value for money.

They have an interesting history - bought and sold many times. Very popular in the 60's. Jean Muir worked for them for 6 years from 1956.

I agree with Casdon about M & S far too many man made fibre clothes.

It's a great pity that they've gone

Curlywhirly Mon 11-Jan-21 22:32:25

Well let's hope that M and S start to produce some smart clothes in decent materials.

NotTooOld Mon 11-Jan-21 22:38:20

Some hopes, Curlywhirly!

Chewbacca Mon 11-Jan-21 22:53:36

It isn't boding well for their new brand if the new season's offerings are anything to go by. They seem to be embracing the 3 Fs. Frills. Floral. Flounces.