Gransnet forums

Chat

Groan. Doesn’t M&S ever learn?

(41 Posts)
Spidergran3 Mon 11-Jan-21 19:44:34

Just read that M&S have bought the Jaeger label. I despair. Is it just me?

Maggiemaybe Mon 11-Jan-21 23:11:10

Last time I saw them without the big coats on, my DD were wearing that sort of thing. Little House on the Prairie meets the Amish. I believe it’s very on trend, or was (it’s been a while sad).

Luckygirl Mon 11-Jan-21 23:22:41

Good thing M&S food is great!

Callistemon Mon 11-Jan-21 23:25:04

M&S need to up their game - two jumpers I bought last year are just dreadful after careful washing as recommended. The quality is abysmal.

They need to find their way because they had definitely lost it and with it, lost their core customers.

I had a dress a bit like that in 1980, Chewbacca. I only wore it twice but I liked it and still have it somewhere; sadly even if I fit into it I think it's too young for me.

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 11-Jan-21 23:25:15

One of my more elegant aunts used to buy Jaeger as they catered for her tall and slim figure beautifully.

sodapop Tue 12-Jan-21 09:05:03

I remember Jaeger as being classic and elegant. However I haven't seen any of their clothing for a long time. M&S would do well to return to the basic classics they used to do so well instead of trying to be trendy. Younger people do not shop in M&S so why do they try to appeal to that market.

Nortsat Tue 12-Jan-21 09:25:34

I have bought some Jaeger pieces in their sales, over the years.
Good quality and classic styles.
I have had some of their accessories too, particularly beads and necklaces.
I like Jaeger but never bought at full price... maybe that's part of their problem. I will watch this development with interest.

janeainsworth Tue 12-Jan-21 09:41:37

I think M&S have had a big change this year.
After not buying anything from them for years, this winter I’ve acquired a coat, a dress and a sweater & am very pleased with all of them.

I’ve also got a beautiful Jaegar sweater that I bought in the sale about 15 years ago.

M&S dresses aren’t all prairie style though I like those too. This is the one I got.

Sar53 Tue 12-Jan-21 10:20:45

I have a black Jaeger coat that must be nearly 30 years old. It still looks smart and was bought when I was in my late 30's so classic rather than old fashioned.
It will be interesting to see what M&S do with the label.

harrigran Tue 12-Jan-21 10:53:20

I fear that M&S are just buying the name and they will not retain the quality.

Witzend Tue 12-Jan-21 11:10:39

I still have a lovely Jaeger jacket is heavy cream slub silk, which I bought in the early 80s. It was in the sale but still a hefty price.

It’s really too small now (I was an 8-10 then) but I don’t suppose I’ll ever be able to bring myself to get rid of it.
I wore it to a few weddings and once lent it to someone else for the same purpose.

M0nica Tue 12-Jan-21 17:10:47

harrigran that is exactly what they are doing;buying the name and goodwill (in the accounting sense). M&S will now decide what to do, if anything with the name.

I would imagine they may introduce a new upmarket range of high quality high priced clothing. Personally, I think this will be a mistake, unless they intend to market them as a boutique brand sold inhouse in department stores (ifthere are any left). M&S itself is a store firmly entrenched in the middle market and I cannot see those who shop in Hobbs and Reiss and other more upmarket shops - the kind of stores that the Duchess of Cambridge patronises - being prepared to buy Jaeger clothes if they smell of M&S. Casual clothes yes, but higher end cutting edge elegance to wear to weddings etc - no.

janeainsworth Tue 12-Jan-21 18:14:15

I think it’s a bit different with online shopping and perhaps more importantly, online marketing MOnica.
When something pops up on my Facebook feed, what I see is the garment on a reasonably attractive model, and that’s what I use to make a judgement on firstly whether I like it, and secondly whether it might or might not suit me.
Also, the computer cleverly knows what sort of things I like, because it’s seen me clicking on stuff from Jigsaw, Hobbs, Boden, Crew Clothing, Toast and John Lewis. So it sifts out the M&S stuff it knows I wouldn’t like.
Compare that to the in-store experience where you have to wade through racks of mediocre stuff, haphazardly displayed, before you stumble on the one garment in the whole store that might appeal to you.
By the time you’ve done that you’re feeling so cross & frustrated that the urge to buy anything at all has evaporated.
All my purchases this year from M&S have been online & if they can get this right I think they’ll do well.

Kim19 Tue 12-Jan-21 18:19:07

Yep, Jaeger does it for me every time. Wonderful style and quality.

Greeneyedgirl Tue 12-Jan-21 18:24:02

I mix and match with some expensive and sustainable brands, and some basics from M&S. If you choose carefully M&S have some good quality clothing at very reasonable prices. For example I have had some great washable silk blouses from there.

Spidergran3 Tue 12-Jan-21 18:48:48

Thanks everyone for the conversation - as I thought, it’s just me ? My disappointing loss from the high street was East. Love their linen lines.