Gransnet forums

Chat

Bad hair cut - so annoyed

(98 Posts)
Flakesdayout Tue 12-Jan-21 00:44:03

After taking some medication early last year which really thinned my hair it had started to thicken up and grow and I was really pleased with it. My OH asked if I would give him a hair cut with the new clippers we had bought and then he would trim mine. I did a really good job for him and then it was my turn. I had bought myself a gadget which clips onto the hair with a spirit level guide bar. You then cut the hair along the length of the guide. Last time it worked so well. This time I asked for him to take an inch and half off. He took off 4 inches didnt use the guide properly and it is now uneven, He now says it was because he did it wrong and forgot what he was doing. I am so annoyed, upset and angry at him. My hair is now too short (chin length) and I hate it. What can I do? I know we are in lockdown and I do not go out as shielding but that is not the point. Grrr.

Kate1949 Tue 12-Jan-21 09:36:10

to be

Callistemon Tue 12-Jan-21 09:38:06

I wouldn't let DH cut the back of mine so did it myself ' it's shocking grin
It will grow! Be thankful it has thickened again.

Teacups and storms come to mind.

midgey Tue 12-Jan-21 09:41:23

Wear a hat?

Smileless2012 Tue 12-Jan-21 09:41:32

Although he has a hair trimmer, Mr. S. had never used it until we bought some clippers for our dogs during the last lock down as they badly needed a trim.

I insisted he do his own hair before he went anywhere near the dogs.

Your post @ 03.06 made me laugh FannyCornforthgrin

Rosina Tue 12-Jan-21 09:42:16

It will grow - within a few weeks you probably won't think about it as there will be a little more hair and the edges will have softened.

Flakesdayout Tue 12-Jan-21 09:42:19

Bluebelle -I think that was a bit harsh and yes we have had issues in the past - lots - but he is what he is and the issues are behind us for now and life is good. I was upset because I thought I was going to lose my hair as was very ill. Ive not been able to see a hairdresser for well over a year and the first trim my OH did was great.
I couldnt see what he was doing as he was behind me. Chin length - yes it could be worse and there are people out there with worse things happening, but at the time it was a shock and I have managed to trim the uneven parts and get some shape.
I know it may be trivial and it will grow in time and thank you for some of the sympathetic replies.

Patticake123 Tue 12-Jan-21 09:45:27

I understand your anger but I still had a giggle. At the beginning of lockdown back in March, using my husband’s clippers I gave myself a really good cut, I actually received compliments without having to fish for them. However my son warned me ‘Oh Mum, be careful, I reckon one good cut, two bad with clippers ‘. He, an expert with the blades having used them for twenty odd years, but mother knew best .... Oh dear me, how right he was and how wrong was I. The only comfort I can offer, it’s only hair, it will grow and at least it’s winter so you can wear a hat when you go out for your daily exercise.

honeyrose Tue 12-Jan-21 09:47:46

Flakesdayout - it’ll grow! I realise everyone is telling you this, but it will! Think how grateful we’ll all be when the hairdressers can open up again. This picture is not if me - honest - but something I found on the Internet. Face obscured to protect the innocent!

honeyrose Tue 12-Jan-21 09:48:51

Sorry - forgot the photo!

TanaMa Tue 12-Jan-21 10:03:38

Oh that everyone's problems were so minor!!

mrsgreenfingers56 Tue 12-Jan-21 10:07:43

It will soon grow back. I lost all mine when I had chemo so thank your lucky stars you aren't going through that and not got Covid 19.

Eve22 Tue 12-Jan-21 10:12:51

See the funny side of it. Stop making your OH feel bad about it - you did ask/ permit him to cut yours so you must have been willing to take the risk of a ‘dodgy’ haircut from someone untrained in hair cutting. Oh, and don’t look in the mirror ; )

Daisymae Tue 12-Jan-21 10:14:02

Sorry that he made a bad job this time, guess that he got complacent. I made a bad job of my husband's hair first time but have improved since. I wouldn't let him near my hair! I managed to get mine cut a couple of times in the last year. The only thing you can do is to find a hat that you like, I'm a fan of berets at the moment.

Kate1949 Tue 12-Jan-21 10:20:00

I do understand how upsetting it can be. I remember many bad haircuts when I had hair. Apologies. Just because I haven't got hair doesn't mean you shouldn't be upset.

Aepgirl Tue 12-Jan-21 10:24:50

The only thing you can do, Flakesdayout, is wait for it to grow.

Why did you let your husband anywhere near this gadget?

Good point, Kate1949, there are always others far worse off than those who complain most.

Squiffy Tue 12-Jan-21 10:27:11

I'm just wondering if you could try using thinning scissors on the ends of your hair just to blur the unevenness a bit? You could order a pair online.

I quite often use them after a visit to the hairdresser, as I have temperamental hair which is tricky for even experienced hairdressers to cope with!

BlueBelle Tue 12-Jan-21 10:31:16

I wasn’t being harsh flakesdayout at all you previously talked at length how difficult your relationship was and said that your husband embarrassed you in front of friends so he didn’t sound the most reliable of people to cut your hair but I m really and genuinely pleased for you that you have managed to put all your problems behind you and now have a better relationship and trust him

4 inches is a lot of hair to lose (depending on how long it was to start with) but as others have said it will grow in time and why not change your hairstyle completely so people think you have done it on purpose or wear some turban like scarves
My hair grows about an inch a month so by Easter you ll be back to normal it’s not that long to wait really

I wouldn’t let the Pope near my hair ?

shysal Tue 12-Jan-21 10:32:53

I gave myself a disastrous hair cut in November, I don't know how it came out too short and uneven because I was pleased with the previous attempt done in the same way (I thought!). Just this week I find it has grown enough to look good again, so be patient! At least you probably won't be seeing many people anyway.

jaylucy Tue 12-Jan-21 10:32:57

I have seen pictures of worse haircuts than that where the person has been left nearly bald!
Hair will grow again and hopefully won't be too long before hairdressers are open again.
But entrusting someone with clippers that in untrained hands can be out of control, was a bit dicey at best!

GrammarGrandma Tue 12-Jan-21 10:38:10

I cut my husband's hair while in lockdown but I wouldn't dream of letting him near mine! Nor would he offer.

Beanie654321 Tue 12-Jan-21 10:48:36

Don't get cross with him, life is far to short for that. Your hair will grow back and may be even thicker. Xx

Lynmary Tue 12-Jan-21 10:49:31

Sure it will grow back, assuming no lasting medical problem. He tried! I haven't been able to get to a hairdresser for ages and my mobile hairdresser couldn't come because all her family had Covid. So I then hacked mine myself and I bet it looks far worse than yours! - but compared to the fact a cousin of mine and her DH have just died in ICU of Covid, it doesn't matter a jot!X

JulieMM Tue 12-Jan-21 10:49:50

I think Santana’s message is really good advice. With more time on your hands now it would be fun to experiment with a new (and temporary!) look using accessories. In the last lockdown I ordered proper hairdressers’ scissors and scoured utube for ideas for cutting my own hair including putting a few layers in - and I did it! Even my hairdresser was impressed! Good luck - you can do it ❤️

BusterTank Tue 12-Jan-21 10:52:19

My husband did the same to me . The first time he done a lovely job . The second time he hacked at it and there wasn't I thing I could do with my hair . I too was very upset and had the raving hump . Every time I looked in the mirror I could of burst in to tears . In the end I told him to get the clippers and cut it straight round . I ended up looking light one of the merry men but it was better than before . I went from having shoulder length hair to being just below my ears . It has now grown and I can see the funny side .

PollyDolly Tue 12-Jan-21 10:53:35

Doodle

My DH has a hand tremor so he’ll not be cutting my hair or piercing my ears ?

??? Two jobs in one go! Serious multi-tasking!