Gransnet forums

Chat

Bad hair cut - so annoyed

(98 Posts)
Flakesdayout Tue 12-Jan-21 00:44:03

After taking some medication early last year which really thinned my hair it had started to thicken up and grow and I was really pleased with it. My OH asked if I would give him a hair cut with the new clippers we had bought and then he would trim mine. I did a really good job for him and then it was my turn. I had bought myself a gadget which clips onto the hair with a spirit level guide bar. You then cut the hair along the length of the guide. Last time it worked so well. This time I asked for him to take an inch and half off. He took off 4 inches didnt use the guide properly and it is now uneven, He now says it was because he did it wrong and forgot what he was doing. I am so annoyed, upset and angry at him. My hair is now too short (chin length) and I hate it. What can I do? I know we are in lockdown and I do not go out as shielding but that is not the point. Grrr.

NotSpaghetti Tue 12-Jan-21 13:13:53

I do know what you're saying Kate. I have arthritis and some days feel sorry for myself. Other days I'm grateful that it's life-limiting and not life-threatening.

JaneRn Tue 12-Jan-21 13:31:35

Grand-daughter has been cutting my hair when she is home from Uni and has been making a better job of it than my hairdresser. Yes, it is longer but it has now rediscovered its natural waves. Just think of all the money I have saved!

GrannyGravy13 Tue 12-Jan-21 13:34:23

The only thing DH is allowed to cut is the lawn ??‍♀️

Happysexagenarian Tue 12-Jan-21 13:50:14

It's just hair it will grow! Don't have a go at the poor bloke he probably feels bad enough about his mistake anyway. Just laugh about it and move on. I've been cutting DH's hair since we got married over 40 years ago (I'm not a hairdresser), and this last year I've had to cut mine as well. It's gone from a short pixie cut last January to a chin length bob now. I don't always get it straight or even, especially at the back, so DH tidies up the bits I miss and sometimes does it wrong. We just giggle and say "Oh well it will grow out then you can have another try!"

varian Tue 12-Jan-21 13:54:40

If you are locked down like we are your OH is the only one who will see the bad hairdo - and he's not in a position to complain about it.

Then with a bit of luck after a few months you can get two jabs and wait a bit longer before venturing out, by which time you hair will have grown.

There are worse things that happen, especially these days.

Tweedle24 Tue 12-Jan-21 14:05:12

It would not have crossed my mind to ask my late DH to cut my hair and I certainly would not have attempted to cut his blond curls.

Caro57 Tue 12-Jan-21 14:29:20

There are videos on FB with guides to cutting one’s own hair if you want to ‘adjust’ it. Be thankful we are in a lockdown so not out much and hair does grow. DH did mine first lockdown - NEVER again! So I can empathise wink

Mamma7 Tue 12-Jan-21 14:43:00

This reminded me of July when I asked husband to cut an inch off my hair length - thought it would take him ages but snip snip snip (literally) and 4 inches had gone! I laughed a lot at the time and it still makes me smile today - the whole thing was just so surreal ? It was incredibly well done too if a little shorter than anticipated. Plus I had given him a bald spot with my attempts at hairdressing a month earlier so couldn’t bring myself to complain ? He cut it again in November, this time it was an inch.

Mamma7 Tue 12-Jan-21 14:45:10

Ps he’s been colouring my roots once a month since March too - not bad really! Saved me a fortune ?

lemongrove Tue 12-Jan-21 14:57:13

Try tucking your chin length hair behind your ears and wearing lovely earrings until it grows again.
Lesson learned....never let him cut it again!

GrandmasueUK Tue 12-Jan-21 15:21:43

When I was 14 I had my hair cut into a pageboy bob. It was lovely when I saw it in the mirror. The hairdresser then decided to backcomb it and it looked like I was wearing a bearskin. I cried all the way home, walking down all the back streets, hoping I didn't meet anyone I knew!

grannyrebel7 Tue 12-Jan-21 15:53:48

Just a thought, this a bit weird, but last year I started eating a lot of sprouts and my hair has grown like wild fire. Don't know if there's a connection, but you might want to give it a try. I know it's horrible when you don't like your hair and 4ins is a lot. Amazed at how unsympathetic some people on here seem to be.

SpringyChicken Tue 12-Jan-21 16:46:58

Looking on the bright side, if you avoid mirrors, you don't actually have to see your bad haircut. It's more a punishment for your husband.

DDOR Tue 12-Jan-21 17:01:32

Wait until it grows a lot more worrying things r on agenda

Alioop Tue 12-Jan-21 17:42:49

My friend going through chemo for second time, beat breast cancer 1st time, 2nd time just chemo to lengthen her time left, no hope and she's 54 and first grandchild due in the summer. Her hairs fell out again so her wigs are back on again. The last one I saw her in was beautiful. Sorry to bring us down a bit, but felt I had to share to show, even to myself, to hell with bad hair days.x

Elvis58 Tue 12-Jan-21 18:25:02

As my friend said after l posted a picture of my hair after DH cut it, she would not let her DH brush her hair let alone cut it!
Ps. He did a great job.

EmilyHarburn Tue 12-Jan-21 18:28:47

Buy yourself a really nice wig. You will be able to wear it in this cold weather when ever you go out instead of a hat.

MamaCaz Tue 12-Jan-21 18:47:22

07Sparklefizz
My hair is an absolute mess and needs cutting badly ...

That made me laugh, because I couldn't help thinking how I want the both the same and the opposite - mine is desperate need of cutting well, not badly ?

Sparklefizz Tue 12-Jan-21 18:52:49

MamaCaz

07Sparklefizz
My hair is an absolute mess and needs cutting badly ...

That made me laugh, because I couldn't help thinking how I want the both the same and the opposite - mine is desperate need of cutting well, not badly ?

{grin] Ooops! Terrible grammar.

MamaCaz Tue 12-Jan-21 18:54:57

No, nothing wrong with your grammar - just my daft sense of humour ?

win Tue 12-Jan-21 21:12:30

No one would cut my hair, even though I always wear it up. I have been known to cut my own fringe but that in itself is disastrous. I cut my partners hair in the last lock down and he was really pleased with the result and offered to return the favour. No way.
Your poor husband he must be gutted you do not like it. It sounds like it is long enough to tie up, have fun trying out different styles.

Millie22 Tue 12-Jan-21 21:58:19

I'm with GrannyGravy on this. My DH helps with my colour but not cutting. That's a job for a professional imo.