Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(79 Posts)
12Michael Thu 14-Jan-21 06:15:18

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark and its wet outside here in Brackley this morning .
Reading some of the responses as to Parsley Box meals , I have enjoyed them as you have no need to freeze or fridge as you would with supermarket ones.
With the vacuum packing , a double seal , pierce as you would to put in a microwave, less time as per voltage of microwave say a 900w is maybe just over a minute but less than 2.
My other encounter yesterday , was with my computer , I had at the weekend did a disk clean up , and some of the websites I use slowed down or refused open , so I did a system restore , in the end it went into an area on Windows 10 as options as to recovery going into advance options once I had done my ID did a system restore and recovered those files , so I go onto the websites without any hitch at all.
Take Care,
Mick

Pittcity Thu 14-Jan-21 08:33:19

Good morning from cold,rainy Colchester.
Changing the bedding and laundry is today's agenda.
Usual Thursday online quiz with family tonight.

Jaxjacky Thu 14-Jan-21 08:33:24

Good morning Mick and all from a soggy, mild S Hants. I too collected my library books yesterday grandMattie they do such a good job and their choices for me are usually pretty good. DH re-grouted the shower yesterday, he’s bored being at home, not a natural slob as I seem to be! Today I’ll fiddle with our shopping list for tomorrow’s delivery, a walk this afternoon and prep a chicken casserole for dinner.
Stay safe all.

Georgesgran Thu 14-Jan-21 08:35:45

Good morning from Durham. We’ve had snow overnight and now rain. Tonight is expected to be -4, so it could thaw during the day, then freeze.
Just as well I’ve no plans!

Took DH to Hospital yesterday for ‘routine appointment’, they plan to tweak his meds and will post them out, rather than risk him going in to collect them. I’d taken the opportunity to shop at a nearby Sainsbury’s - 2 birds etc - no ‘security’ on view and no-one walking around telling people to cover their noses!
Feel as if I could stay in bed all day, but shall have to stir myself soon.
May everyone have a peaceful day. X

Alygran Thu 14-Jan-21 08:39:54

Good morning from North Yorkshire. It’s snowing heavily at the moment and is forecast to last all morning. This is the third snowfall this winter which is really unusual.
Zoom parent group this morning then more reading and knitting until DGS on FaceTime after school. We chat and read to each other which is the highlight of my day.
Hope everyone has a good day. Stay safe.

baubles Thu 14-Jan-21 08:39:56

Good morning Muck, morning all from S Lanarkshire where we are once more under a blanket of snow.

Viridian, your photo reminded me of DD’s visit from the pest man last week. She’s been disturbed by noises in the loft for a wee while and was dreading him discovering rats. Up he went to investigate, then reappeared to ask if DD had a packet of M&Ms by any chance? He reckons it’s a squirrel spending the nights inside and DD should confirm this theory by chucking some M&Ms up there as they are partial to those particular sweets. I’ve no idea how someone would have discovered that in the first place.

Bed changing day today methinks and I’ll probably make a pot of lentil soup, always comforting on a snowy day.

Wishing everyone a peaceful day, especially those of you in pain or sorrow.

Nannytopsy Thu 14-Jan-21 08:47:44

Good morning Mick and all his followers. Another soggy Suffolk day - enough already! I have all my seeds ready to start planting, yesterday I went to an empty garden centre and got compost and now all I need are some warmth and sunshine. Don’t we all?
Glad you had a lovely hour with Dollie, Marydoll. I am having to hone my differentiation skills for a 7 and 4 y o on the same topic!
I hope the day is kind to everyone.

Stilllearning Thu 14-Jan-21 08:52:11

Morning from S Lanarkshire, just a smattering of snow here. I wish I had your technical knowledge Marydoll, I would love to help/pass the time for my 5 year old grandson but don’t know where to start. 8 year old is fine, we do a lot of reading/discussing using face time, both having our own copies of the book, but I don’t know how to do the interactive stuff he would need.
More clearing out today and reading my book club book ready to discuss on our zoom meeting next Tuesday.
Have a good day everyone.

harrigran Thu 14-Jan-21 08:53:28

Good morning from a snowy NE.
DH gets his vaccination this afternoon.
Yesterday was filled with little jobs, DH renewed the thingies in the kitchen taps and stopped the drip.
I am getting to grips with my new tablet but it is almost the size of my laptop, way too big for sitting in bed with.
Keep warm and stay safe.

Anniebach Thu 14-Jan-21 08:55:23

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Gelisajams Thu 14-Jan-21 08:55:30

Good morning from a wet dark Morecambe Bay. I had a wander round my garden yesterday in the rain to look for signs of spring. I did find one solitary snowdrop so hopefully spring and hope is on it’s way.
Take care and stay safe everyone ?

brook2704 Thu 14-Jan-21 08:56:11

Such a heartwarming story marydoll so pleased you are getting such lovely time with your DGD - enjoy!

GrannyGravy13 Thu 14-Jan-21 09:09:32

Good morning Mick and all

Definitely wet and wild in Essex ☔️?

Ironing today, after homeschooling with 5yr old.

Keep safe and well folks ?‍♀️

EkwaNimitee Thu 14-Jan-21 09:11:01

Good morning to all from the still dark Cumbrian coast where it's cold and pouring with rain. I'm praying it doesn't turn to snow as I am getting my Covid jab this afternoon , a whole month before I was expecting it. Meanwhile, the ironing?

NannyJan53 Thu 14-Jan-21 09:16:06

Good morning from a very drizzly and dark Black Country,

Mammogram later today. Not much else planned.

So lovely to hear of Marydolls video lessons with her DGD. Hopefully small steps on the road.

Wishing you all a good day

Auntieflo Thu 14-Jan-21 09:20:38

Good morning Mick, Annie, and all, from a wet, but mild, bit of Berks. I don't actually know the outside temperature, but it is toasty inside.
Sorry to hear that you are not sleeping Lins, so hope you manage 40 winks during the day, to recharge the batteries.
Marydoll, so lovely to hear about wee Dollie, and your efforts at teaching her. Wears me out just thinking about it.
All you DIY husbands are wonderful. Painting, plumbing, and general handymanning, makes me jealous. As I've said before, DH is not a DIYer, at all. It is quicker and easier for me to Do It Myself.
That's what my mum used to say that I said when little, "I do it myself".
Our Locum Dr, phoned me this morning, just to see how I was, so nice of her. My friend is phoning this evening, for a good chat, which I shall look forward to.
Nothing else planned, just take it as it comes, but I will try and make a list of questions for the Dr tomorrow morning.
By the way, where is Phoenix lately. I have missed her ramblings.
Please have a good day, one and all.

Mapleleaf Thu 14-Jan-21 09:24:26

I posted earlier but it seems to have disappeared.
Just a quick hello as I’ve got Pilates very soon.
Will come back and read the posts later.
Snowing heavily here at the moment.
Take care everyone.

Greyduster Thu 14-Jan-21 09:33:34

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. It’s snowing in South Yorkshire and forecast to do so all day. Oh joy! I have to go to the supermarket for a couple of bits this morning. It is within walking distance so may end up doing just that. We’ll see. Other than that, not much planned for today after yesterday’s big clean! I shall be joining the Gransnet ironing group I think. GS told me yesterday he has to choose his GCSE O level options this week. It doesn’t seem five minutes since we were photographing him in his uniform for reception class at his infant school. How time flies! Have a good day folks and stay safe!

Grandmabatty Thu 14-Jan-21 09:33:49

Good morning all. It has snowed slightly overnight,then rained then frozen solid so the road and pavement look treacherous again. I have no no need to go out today so I won't. I'd like to go for a walk but I'm not changing a fall. Mince and tatties for dinner as I took the mince out of the freezer earlier. I was awake a few times in the night, but slept well and was so warm and toasty that I didn't want to get up. The beanbag arrived yesterday so it's in the spare room for a couple of days to let any germs fall off?. I had a lovely WhatsApp video chat with my friends yesterday afternoon. We hadn't caught up since before Christmas for various reasons. It was good to blether to them again. I need to stir my stumps as I have become very lazy on my non babysitting days. A bit of ironing later and a quick whizz round with the hoover. I must think about a painting I'm going to start. I hope you all have a good day.

Grandmabatty Thu 14-Jan-21 09:35:12

Good grief, so many mistakes. An extra 'no' in there and 'changing' should read chancing.

GrannySomerset Thu 14-Jan-21 09:36:28

Grey and very wet this morning so apart from rescuing the recycling containers from wherever the bin men have put them, nothing much needs doing.

Took DH for his jab yesterday - very slick and efficient operation, almost entirely elderly subjects (including a very lively 101 year old) and not even a sore arm afterwards. I look forward to my turn in two or three weeks. Rather wish we had had an end of the afternoon appointment because I might have been given some of the left over vaccine, as happened to a couple of friends, but the timing was not right.

Delighted that Marydoll is back in teacher mode, though an hour sounds rather long for both of them. Don’t think any of ours at such a young age could concentrate for more than about ten minutes.

Sparklefizz Thu 14-Jan-21 09:43:45

Good morning Mick and all GNs from a very wet South Glos.

Well done with sorting out your computer Mick. I have got that Windows 10 for Seniors book myself, and it's very useful. I am so non-techy that when anything goes wrong on the computer, I'm filled with dread.

Stay safe everyone, and thoughts to those who are struggling with ill health or cabin fever. x

Kate54 Thu 14-Jan-21 09:52:20

Good morning from a wet and gloomy South Lincolnshire. I don’t often post on here but read avidly every day. It’s such a supportive and kind group. Those of you/us going through particularly difficult times find it so helpful. I’m really here today to wonder whether Marydoll has tried Teams, rather than Zoom. You have to have the app but it’s pretty easy to use and has lots of good teaching-type features e.g, a whiteboard (although I haven’t had much luck with that yet) and a screen-sharing facility. The sound and picture quality are better than Zoom, I think.

chiggi200 Thu 14-Jan-21 10:02:17

Good morning from Airdrie in Scotland. White with snow again this morning. It had all gone but its back. Got my sad lamp on this morning to combat the winter blues.

Dwmxwg Thu 14-Jan-21 10:05:18

Good morning from north Surrey, it’s wet rain here as opposed to damp rain yesterday (DH thinks I’m daft)
Another poor nights sleep in DD’s bed, whoever described as a washing machine, it is so true.
Drove boys to school as so inclement and then straight to supermarket to purchase the items I managed to leave at the end of the conveyor belt yesterday (don’t they usually say “are those yours?”)
Had a “Happy Birthday” zoom for DGD’s 3rd birthday yesterday, she looked overwhelmed, 3 sets of grandparents and 2 aunties and cousins on the screen was a bit much for her
Having 10 minutes feet up and then off to mum and dad’s.
Another night at DD’s tonight and back to work tomorrow, am feeling anxious, been a month since I worked but anxiety is more about being back to looking after Covid patients. Will give it a chance and see how I feel over coming weeks.
Wishing all a good day

Nannatwiglet Thu 14-Jan-21 10:08:44

Morning from West Yorkshire! Woken up to heavy snow for the third time in a fortnight...
DH and I both have sore arms as we had our Covid jabs yesterday. Won’t be going far today at all...a day for pottering about, numerous cups of tea and catching up on the knitting &sitting in front of tv!
Stay safe and warm everyone...