Gransnet forums

Chat

Secret vice, keeping me occupied during lockdown.

(50 Posts)
Marydoll Thu 14-Jan-21 08:43:57

I saw an item on the news about unusual things people were doing to improve their mental and emotional wellbeing during lockdown and then posting on Tik Tok.

I have one to share, blush with you all.

I have become hooked on a Chinese romcom on You Tube, called The General's Lady. It involves a lady, who on the orders of the emperor, is in an arranged marriage to a general guarding the frontier.
Its the last thing I would consider watching. or admit to watching. ?

Would any of you like to share just one thing you do, the stranger, the better. ?

Galaxy Thu 14-Jan-21 08:48:27

Oh ok it's a bit odd though. I have become obsessed with true crime podcasts, usually murders. I have become fascinated in listening to the investigation process, how cold cases work etc.

Grandmabatty Thu 14-Jan-21 09:53:07

Watching burly bearded men wield chainsaws in Alaska! I'm smitten with those gentlemen building cabins in the wilderness.

Macgran43 Thu 14-Jan-21 10:02:21

I have been binge watching an American series on Netflix Grace and Frankie. It centres around two women in their seventies.It is fast moving, funny and stars the beautiful Jane Fonda. Sheer escapism.

Peasblossom Thu 14-Jan-21 10:04:10

I love Grace and Frankie ? I’m currently addicted to Lucifer - in more ways than one.?

mumofmadboys Thu 14-Jan-21 10:10:54

I have played an ENORMOUS amount of online bridge during the lockdown

Callistemon Thu 14-Jan-21 10:51:32

Thank you everyone - what have I been missing?

Redhead56 Thu 14-Jan-21 16:56:17

Yes burly men with chainsaws!

lemongrove Thu 14-Jan-21 17:00:57

Does a craving for fish finger sarnies count Marydoll ??

midgey Thu 14-Jan-21 17:03:21

Hmm Lemongrove you beat me to it, but I was just going to say eating generally!

GagaJo Thu 14-Jan-21 17:15:50

Watching FAR too much online TV. My current favourites have been Rita (Danish I think), Spiral, The Rain, The Dark. I definitely prefer Scandi.

When stressed etc, I have watched all of Dinner Ladies and am currently wading through The Durrells.

AGAA4 Thu 14-Jan-21 17:21:04

I have been watching old episodes of Porridge. Also old classic films like North by Northwest.

Chestnut Thu 14-Jan-21 17:27:55

I'm keeping an eye out for any interesting old movies, 'Hud' the other night and now 'Hombre', both a feast to the eyes with Paul Newman at his most beautiful! Never saw them before.

Also ploughing slowly through countless episodes of '800 Words' because they are easy to watch and feature beautiful New Zealand scenery, surfers, likeable characters and a bit of romance.

Peasblossom Thu 14-Jan-21 17:36:25

Where have you found ‘800 words’ Chestnut?

I really enjoyed that. I’d like to see it again and maybe some new episodes.

GagaJo Thu 14-Jan-21 17:37:12

Over Christmas, a student I was looking after became hooked on Midnight Diner, a Japanese TV series. I enjoyed the first 2 or 3. But there are hundreds and she compulsively watched them for almost 3 weeks. confused

Blossoming Thu 14-Jan-21 18:07:44

Various costume/sewing channels on YouTube, such as Bernadette Banner and Morgan Donner. I could never hope to emulate their beautiful creations but I’m fascinated by it. Also learning quite a bit of history from them along the way.

Jomarie Thu 14-Jan-21 18:18:58

I have been enjoying You Tube in a small way - but specifically enjoying watching ships of various sizes in rough seas - not disasters I hasten to add - am hooked on the power of the sea in rough weather - a m a z i n g grin

Buffybee Thu 14-Jan-21 18:42:04

I'm addicted to online Scrabble, I have so many regular opponents now, its like a full time job. grin

Farmor15 Thu 14-Jan-21 18:45:51

Rediscovered jigsaws. Also a bit of online Bridge. Not very secret vices tho!

Lewie Thu 14-Jan-21 19:10:22

I'm addicted to online Bridge (I'm an 'improver') and I'm also learning Italian with Duolingo, brushing up what I learned in the 6th form at school.

Shinamae Thu 14-Jan-21 19:13:12

I am trying very hard to get addicted to exercise…… Not much success so far. ?

Marthjolly1 Thu 14-Jan-21 19:22:56

Oh no. I'm so boring. I can't think of any guilty covid pleasure I'm enjoying. Time passes just as much in non-covid times. An early morning home workout is all I can claim which I doubt is really interesting to anyone. blush

Marydoll Thu 14-Jan-21 19:27:28

The reason I said my vice was secret in the OP was because my friends think I'm quite academic and here I am watching a romantic saga, set many centuries ago in China. I think I'm in love with General! ?

Kim19 Thu 14-Jan-21 19:28:36

Getting up an hour later each day and enjoying it.

MayBee70 Thu 14-Jan-21 19:33:48

Bob Ross’s Joy of Painting. No intention of painting but can’t sleep unless I listen to Bob’s voice each night. And binge watched Chernobyl as a bit of light relief.