Gransnet forums

Chat

Lockdown blues how are you avoiding it?

(88 Posts)
Redhead56 Fri 15-Jan-21 12:06:50

I think we have done well so far as a family keeping occupied during this pandemic. However I am get messages from friends and they all seem to be running out of steam. Running out of ideas to stop feeling down I am curious what keeps everyone going?

Jude1953 Sun 17-Jan-21 10:31:21

I enjoy Nordic walking and being out in the fresh air. I also do two online art classes a week and making cards from my own artworks. The one thing I mix are my grandsons, two in Spain and two here in the Uk

Lucca Sun 17-Jan-21 10:33:37

NanaRoo

I have a lovely older friend, she is 79, who has hardly been out of the house since shielding before first lockdown. I call her a few times a week and send her little surprises now and again eg: a card, chocs, flowers etc I know how getting a surprise delivery can give her a boost, but am running out of new ideas. Would be grateful for any suggestions. Thank you ?

For presents for your friend ? Hand cream puzzle book nice pen books does she have something like a dvd player ? Send a film ? Does she knit or anything ! Send wool?

NanaPlenty Sun 17-Jan-21 10:36:28

?definitely getting harder by the day and I’m normally very positive. Days are very disjointed - getting up later and going to bed later. Normally I’m an avid reader but haven’t been able to settle to anything. Lots of Netflix, jigsaws and a bit of cross stitch (although not going very fast with that). Been cooking a lot (and eating too much). If the weather improves I’m going to try and get back on some sort of fitness plan and get in the garden but not yet.... it’s too chilly and damp. Have a good Sunday everyone.

Soupy Sun 17-Jan-21 10:38:48

Baking - there's usually home made cake or biscuits in the tin.

Walking if the mood takes me plus the longer, lighter days are on their way.

Music: I'm lucky enough to play an instrument so join in with various sessions on Zoom to play. I love this as I can play with people all over the country.

I am considering starting up Zumba again but haven't yet taken the plunge.

Viridian Sun 17-Jan-21 10:39:14

If she has a sense of humour Lucca one of those cards that pops open dramatically? Or a funny talking card. Once I sent my daughter who was housebound a card that played like an old scratched 78. She loved it.

Viridian Sun 17-Jan-21 10:41:06

Sorry Lucca of course that should have been to NanaRoo. Duh.

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 17-Jan-21 10:42:40

I have decided a vaccination is in sight so is Freedom and hoping that we will make our annual (missed last year) family trip to North Wales. Have something to look forward to!

CaroleAnne Sun 17-Jan-21 10:51:05

Hear! Hear! BUSTERTANK. Ditto.flowers

inishowen Sun 17-Jan-21 10:53:59

I sorted all the family photos and had time to enjoy each one. Im knitting for charity. I read a lot and watch lots of property shows on HGTV. Gardening will come soon. We also mind our three year old grandson one day a week. This week I had a tent up in the lounge and had to sit in it wearing plastic handcuffs, as I was under arrest!

nipsmum Sun 17-Jan-21 11:09:30

I knit cook and bake. I also have 2 small Westies that I enjoy walking in the park everyday. I never cease to be amazed at some of the conversations I have with complete strangers. Most people I see both young and old pass the time of day with me. I don't really have time to get bored or lonely.

Aepgirl Sun 17-Jan-21 11:13:24

Lots of walks, gardening (when the weather allows), FaceTime (piano lessons), Zoom (tap-dancing, choir, WI, U3A), at least one phone call a day to friends, working from home part-time.
Yes, I do have ‘down’ days, but I did before lockdown as well

Arsenal67 Sun 17-Jan-21 11:14:12

I am a chemo patient so I am happy to wake up each day. Feeling good mentally, not so good physically. Try to avoid news. Been doing lots of clearing out and sorting. Did photos yesterday and made boxes for the children. I have joined Ancestry which has come along way and you dont need much info to fill in your tree as so many others can join the dots for you. I hve the Readly app to keep up with every magazine and a wonderful husband.

Arsenal67 Sun 17-Jan-21 11:15:35

Oh and I talk to my bestie on the phone alot. We tune into Escape to the Country and comment on the houses! (Bitch about)

Fairyfeet Sun 17-Jan-21 11:20:14

I’ve have been feeling a bit down this lockdown. First two were fine, as I had gardening to keep me occupied, but this one seems harder somehow. Reading all your comments has cheered me up though, as I realise that I’m doing the same as a lot of you (video calls, reading, too much tv watching, sewing, knitting, walking, and dancing). We are all going through the same thing, and you have reminded me that I am, in fact, very lucky. I live in a nice place, have a roof over my head, warmth, enough to eat and friends and family to chat to on the phone. I can’t wait for normal life to resume, but I’m resolved to count my blessings.
ps I love the idea of sitting in a tent wearing plastic handcuffs inishowen

Callistemon Sun 17-Jan-21 11:25:45

I seem to be suffering from a severe case of ‘can’t be arseditis'

A good term for it. It's wonderful, having a morning brew in bed and planning just what I'm going to sort out and throw away but quite another getting round to doing it.

I am trying to work through my yarn stash but I think , hope, lockdown may end before I can do that.

Flakesdayout Sun 17-Jan-21 11:26:03

I do have my struggle days. Having returned to work I find I am stuck behind a computer screen for hours on end and do miss the social interaction that was my job before Covid. I have slowly extended my hours and do miss my afternoon relax. We are encouraged to take a break but what is there to do in 5/10mins.? If I go to make a drink there is no one there to talk to and it is warmer upstairs in my 'office'. I get half hour lunch break which isn't a lot of time for a walk etc. So I have decided to ask to cut my hours and work a four day week and see how I feel. I know negativity is bad but at the moment I cannot snap out of it. Roll on the spring. I want to get back to reading and some exercise.

Callistemon Sun 17-Jan-21 11:26:59

inishowen grin

Santana Sun 17-Jan-21 11:46:52

Helenlouise3

I've bought an Alexa and sometimes dance around the living room. I go for a walk every other day, read, knit and do jigsaws. When hubby's done all he can of the crossword I take over. I also phone a friend/daughter/one of the grandchildren for a chat. Some days something simple like a shower with some luxury products. Anything I fancy really that makes me happy on that day

My grandson asked me if the Queen had an Alexa? I said no, she has a butler.
A conversation with a 4 year old always lifts my spirits!

Alioop Sun 17-Jan-21 11:47:55

My dog walks, although the first one has got later cos I try not to get up so early as it makes the day longer, so I lie and read for a while. I've found this lockdown a lot harder than the summer one and cannot wait until spring arrives. My garden is getting landscaped in the Spring, so I'll have lots of planting, etc to do, no point doing anything in it at present as its getting a reshuffle, so I have that to look forward to. Get rid of these dreary dark days and hopefully we will all feel a little chirpier.

Omaoma57 Sun 17-Jan-21 12:02:15

I know i can feel down on grey overcast days...so get my walking, running or dancing shoes on and move! Today its sunny so have already been out...I also like a list of things to do and keep to a fairly regular pattern during the day...however today is also a zoom day so looking forward to a chat!

marq66 Sun 17-Jan-21 12:21:39

You sound like a great friend! Could you involve her in this process such as sharing memories. You find a couple of photos of to support a memory of 1980s and get her to do the same. Even if you can't go into her home, you could tell her when you are coming round so she can leave her photos on the step and you exchange yours (obviously returning them next time) then share your memories by phone. Just seems a good way for both of you to share good times of your lives.

marq66 Sun 17-Jan-21 12:29:36

Without the delight of trips to plan, it has felt quite grey. So I've taken up yoga for the first time in my life (at 67). thanks to Denman College (Women's institute) on line. No joining fee, £5 per session. So I wobble and groan, but my camera is off and we're all muted! I've also done some cookery sessions with them. It breaks up the week. With my husband I watch live streaming from Ronnie Scotts Jazz club Mon & Thurs, donation optional. It's great seeing these enthusiastic musicians delighting in playing. Podcasts are also great and come on a huge range of topics. I love Rachel Maddow and Lawrence O'Donnell, two fascinating American journalists, despairing of the departing president! I have just started reading with my 6 year old grand daughter online via readeo.com. We are so lucky to have so much technology!

Quaver22 Sun 17-Jan-21 12:37:30

I escape from the daily tedium by reading . I get through two or three novels a week , most of which I have read on my tablet and borrowed from my local library.
I remember days when I was working full time, bringing up my children and keeping an eye on my elderly parents when reading was an almost impossible luxury!

mimismo Sun 17-Jan-21 12:39:28

Mohum - Have you tried alternative heat sources? My husband swears by his electric heat pad, lying down on the bed, while a friend wandered around with a bustle-type sac, filled with microwaveable seeds, tied to her waist. Both would help with the prune effect I'm sure!!

flaxwoven Sun 17-Jan-21 12:51:58

I am very fed up with the lockdown but thankful to be retired, to have a warm home and enough to eat. I keep busy with housework, spring cleaning neglected cupboards, 1,000 piece jigsaws, quiz books, reading, knitting, daily walks round the block, social media messages with friends and family, phone calls, films recorded - we have a channel called "Talking Pictures" with many old B & W films and series. I'm also enjoying the old Miss Marple films with Joan Hickson, anything Jane Austin, Edgar Wallace Mysteries, Upstairs Downstairs, the comfortable old favourites. I have my grumpy husband at home, but I am aware of some friends who live alone who are feeling very isolated and unhappy and some are not au fait with computers. I'm also aware of the struggle some parents are having trying to work from home as well as do home schooling, and also job uncertainty.