Gransnet forums

Chat

What do we NOT have in the kitchen these days??

(177 Posts)
Franbern Fri 15-Jan-21 15:04:01

Just watching the Hairy Bikers make a steamed pudding (the old fashioned way), - and they used a saucer to make a trivet for in their pot for steaming..

Now I do have a small trivet in the cupboard, and to make steamed pudding these days, I use the microwave rather than that hours in a saucepan.

However, when I thought about it, realised that nowhere in my kitchen is there such a thing as a saucer. As I only use mugs for drinks, long since got rid of cups and saucers to charity shops.

Felt rather silly not having such a basic item as a saucer any more

welbeck Mon 18-Jan-21 03:07:58

i've no idea what some of these things are, might have seen them but didn't grow up with them, so never heard the names.
i do remember the iron in the light fitting. the mangle. what about those wash-boards; the modern ones had thick ribbed glass.
and those kitchen cabinets, a marvel of compact design, with the pull-down enamel topped surface in the middle for bread cutting.
i think they are due for a come-back.
so much elaborate junk in kitchens today, and i hate the ones that look like laboratories.
oh for the happy days of the scullery. that's what we called it when i was young. kitchen sounded as if in a commercial/ institutional premises.

Rendella Sun 17-Jan-21 22:14:59

I have a couple of treasured Pyrex dishes, which belonged to my late mother.

Mamie792 Sun 17-Jan-21 20:45:03

Thank you so much Annodomini

annodomini Sun 17-Jan-21 10:54:29

Silver grapefruit spoons. Who serves grapefruit as a starter nowadays?
Bone handled tea knives
Silver handled butter knife.

But I second Mamie 792's love of her Easiyo yoghurt maker.

Mamie792 Sun 17-Jan-21 10:24:17

I’m back to defend my Easiyo yogurt maker . Very easy to use and it feels like magic . Do mine overnight, absolutely no need to use anything extra in the way of fancy bags unless you are doing it incorrectly!!! The healthy powders are on average £3 a bag and produce a kilo of yogurt so if anyone can tell me which supermarket can produce a good quality very fresh yogurt for that price I’d be interested(and it certainly wouldn’t be Waitrose !!!!! ) so if you bought one and have never used it give it a whirl you may be surprised by the power of boiling water in a vacuum jar !

JackyB Sun 17-Jan-21 10:18:50

I've just remembered that my mother had waffle irons. They looked like branding irons. I don't think she ever used them and they disappeared,probably in the course of a house move.

Does anyone know how they actually worked?

kittylester Sun 17-Jan-21 08:01:19

MissAdventure

Sex.

Speak for yourself!! gringringrin

Happysexagenarian Sat 16-Jan-21 23:35:33

We no longer have
A chip pan
A wok - can't find one for an induction hob
A cast iron bakestone - same reason as above
Saucers - we only use mugs
An electric knife sharpener - I use the grinder in the shed
A liquidiser - the jug cracked

But we do have, and use
A teapot
2 butter dishes, but no butter knife. Why can't you buy them on their own!
Bone handled knives
My GM's solid silver forks and spoons used every day for measuring and cooking
A set of brass scales and weights which have to live in a cupboard because they take up too much space on the worktop.
An original cast iron apple peeler/corer/slicer.
Several hand whisks including one that you turn the handle on.
A Spong Mincer(!), not used very often these days but great when our dog was a puppy.
Milk jugs and cream jugs
Jelly moulds including 2 elaborate Victorian ones.
Wooden spoons. My favourite is from a child's baking set I had when I was little.
5 Wooden Rolling Pins. One was my GGMs and is as smooth as glass. I never wash them, just scrape, dry, brush and oil.
Decorative wooden butter pats. I use them to mark pastry.
A blackbird pie funnel
Enamel plates and pie dishes
Pyrex cookware that's probably 60 years old
Cake forks and fisk knives

I could go on and on.....

Callistemon Sat 16-Jan-21 22:40:50

Gasp
And ???

BlueBelle Sat 16-Jan-21 22:40:36

A free standing cabinet with a cupboard at the top with glass doors for the cups and saucers, the dinner plates in the middle with a pull down door (that I was warned not to lean on) and a bigger cupboard at the bottom for pots and pans It was eau de nil colour
A hand worked mincer
And an iron that heated on the gas

MissAdventure Sat 16-Jan-21 22:38:47

Sex.

dragonfly46 Sat 16-Jan-21 22:37:55

I too have the Qooker and yes the water is boiling. It makes perfect tea. It also has a filter for drinking water which we use a lot.

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 16-Jan-21 22:29:38

Another thing I don’t have is the iron that my Mum used to plug into the light socket. The one she had before that sat on the gas ring on the cooker.
Because we couldn’t afford to heat the sitting room our television was in the kitchen diner, so one other thing I don’t have in my kitchen is a huge television that our cat used to lay on top of! It was enormous (both ocat and Telly).

Callistemon Sat 16-Jan-21 22:14:19

I changed that to Spong mincer three times but autocorrect didnt like it!

Callistemon Sat 16-Jan-21 22:13:12

Bijou DH's Grandmother used to mince the mincemeat for Christmas pies using a Spong mince.
I've never come across it minced before or since - I liked her mince pies.

Bijou Sat 16-Jan-21 21:07:41

The spong mincer was good for making mince meat for Christmas pies.
I still use the bottle opener and can opener my mother gave me in 1946. In those days we had few gadgets. Also little electric coffee grinder bought in Spain in 1978 because in those days you could not buy ground coffee there. Now use it for herbs.

Lindylou23 Sat 16-Jan-21 20:54:39

Threexnanny, I took cutlery to a charity shop,they said couldn't take any of it, I asked why? and was told they could be attacked with them.....

Lindylou23 Sat 16-Jan-21 20:52:44

Threexn

Flakesdayout Sat 16-Jan-21 19:04:09

Ooh I have two chicken bricks ( I call them a terracotta dish) One has a cracked lid but the other is still boxed and I got it in Aldi several years ago. I still have my hand whisk which I bought when I was 17 so its getting on a little. I do miss my saucepan divider, not sure what happened to that.

Sheilasue Sat 16-Jan-21 19:03:49

I use my microwave for puds. Quicker and saves on gas.

Grandmama Sat 16-Jan-21 18:43:53

I use old fashioned scales with imperial weights (I convert when necessary). Came from a charity shop and are very accurate.

Spong mincer, cups and saucers, tea strainer (we use leaf tea), lemon squeezer (used all the time for my fresh lemon water), tea caddy, double saucepan, several trivets, pickle fork (never used), cake forks (in use), serrated grapefruit knife (used every day), piping bag (hardly used), Mouli hand mincer with three blades, fits over a bowl, butter dish in use, carpet sweeper (one upstairs, one downstairs), pastry funnel, tea infuser. Fondue set in cupboard upstairs, used once! Cosies for teapot and cafetiere in daily use. In garage - large mincer, huge boiling pan with holed trivet in base for boiling nappies, large jam pan, a cast iron thing with three feet for holding shoes while you re-sole them (cobblers anvil?).

123kitty Sat 16-Jan-21 17:46:02

Some things cannot be thrown out. I have grandpa's stilton cheese scoop, it's got a long ivory handle with a silver trowel/scoop/spoon (thing). Apparently Stilton always had maggots crawling in it, or grandpa said it wasn't worth eating. Yuk grin

grannybuy Sat 16-Jan-21 17:40:20

I miss my Tupperware cheese grater. The grater was the lid which sat on the cheese container. I still have saucers, which are rarely used. I have a silver Canadian cocoa spoon which was sent as a gift when my mother was born in 1925. I use a ramekin dish for butter.

carolmary Sat 16-Jan-21 16:59:12

I have 2 pressure cookers, Prestige with weights, both bought in charity shops. I use them all the time. We eat a lot of soup and you can rustle up soup from assorted bits and pieces in 20 minutes; can't do that with a slow cooker! Brilliant for Christmas puddings and gammon joints. I also have an ice cream maker bought in a charity shop for next to nothing and kept in garage freezer. Makes lovely ice cream in flavours you can't get in our local Co-op. (There's no Waitrose any where near here unfortunately.) You will guess that I love charity shops. There is always a fondue set for sale in ours. Never succumbed though!

Grammaretto Sat 16-Jan-21 16:52:50

The sodastream is still in the attic. Do you think I should go on Flog it?
Honeyrose, did you ask about the spreadable-ness of the butter in the insulated container? If so the answer is yes the butter is always spreadable except if someone else grr puts it in the fridge. In the height of summer it might be a bit soft.

Sorry GrannyGravy I don't believe the water is properly boiling from that tap. I had to use one at coffee mornings in the Town Hall - when we were allowed out - and it just wasn't quite hot enough.

I make pottery and was always on the lookout for old kitchen equipment for the studio. Butter pats, jelly moulds, spatulas, forks and spoons, biscuit cutters, garlic presses, rolling pins, and sets of scales with weights. I have some beauties.