Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday

(88 Posts)
12Michael Sat 16-Jan-21 06:12:24

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark , but its sleetish outside here in Brackley at the moment .
Today, possible Laundrette early , watch TV , and maybe later go and get a Chinese Take Away as the evenings are starting to get lighter .
Stay in ,and just see how the day evolves .
Take Care,
Mick

BlueSapphire Sat 16-Jan-21 10:37:58

Hello and a very late good morning from a wet Northampton. Looks pretty miserable outside.

As usual, very little happening here today, just staying in, read the papers, do the puzzle pages etc. Have just got a steak out of the freezer for dinner tonight.

Managed to start on my knitting yesterday, first time I've done any for years, so will probably pick that up again this afternoon. Discovered that the cats had managed to bite through several strands of the wool! It is now out of their sight in the understairs cupboard.

Will now go back and read everyone's 'Good mornings '. Take care and stay safe everyone.

Ashcombe, will search out your thread, as DS was born in February 1979.

Nortsat Sat 16-Jan-21 10:35:40

Good morning Mick and the GM team ... wishing everyone a pleasant day. ?

Grandmafrench Sat 16-Jan-21 10:28:56

Good Morning everyone. Wonderfully sunny day, without the winds, so will go to the beach this p.m., and walk to the rocks, sit in the sun and eat and drink a small picnic.

Before then, a duvet cover to launder and little bulbs to check on in the garden. Lots of crocus already showing. A friend tells me they took the dog and went unto the mountains this week. Fun sledging and walking but no ski stations allowed to open above where they were.....and no cafés open. Shame.

Actually ordered some takeaway food yesterday. Such entertainment. Son was at home working on his website, DH ordered him a pizza. Endless re-dials to get through. Glad the restaurant was busy...takeaway is all they can do now. An hour later we got through, having decided not to cook. Yay! I ordered pizzas for us. Waitress speaks to kitchen, kitchen points out that someone (my DH ?) has already ordered to another address. I tell her that’s for our Son and this made everyone laugh. She apologized for asking. I told her we’re not paying for anyone else in the village! Son has delivery and ‘phones to query why he has 2 pizzas? Are they ours? I tell him, damn well hope not because a) I’m hungry and b) curfew is upon us! He then spots delivery guy delivering to his neighbour on opposite side of street and shouts at him he’s got wrong order. Neighbor is holding DS’s pizza, Ds has hers. Pizza guy almost in frenzy of confusion.

Are you following this nonsense? All ended well, much laughter - ours were delivered on time and delicious. I had goats cheese and honey. A favorite. People will pick goats cheese anything for me, without even asking! A little light in our Friday night pandemic darkness.

Hope they re-attach your crown, Gelisa. Loved your poster, justwidowed and good to hear you’re safe. I’m going to drop a line to Taichinan although I know she has DDs not too far away. Just get that jab, Ellan don’t miss out! x

Happy your consultation will be followed by support and action, Auntiflo. Have a good weekend now.

To everyone knitting, crafting, walking, cleaning, shopping, worrying - even ironing - love and hugs to you all. Stay strong, stay warm and safe. We’ll get there !!!! ?

?‍♀️????

Auntieflo Sat 16-Jan-21 10:17:51

Good morning Mick, *Annie and all. We had a bit of snow, probably during the night, but it has all gone now, thank goodness.
I would like to thank all of you who sent me PM's and good wishes via GN. I was very touched by your kindness. ?

Actually the consultation was just a reiteration of what the Dr had said on the phone, the previous day. But, I did want a face to face meeting. Our DD was allowed to come with us, and took notes, because I was too busy listening. The out come of the meeting was that I shall need a PET scan, next week, and more blood tests. It's a good job we make our own blood, as mine is being siphoned off quite a lot lately.
Scentia, full marks for your first go at dressmaking, it is very pretty, and your GD will have a ready supply of things to wear.
You and GrandMattie, have a lot to live up to.
Kitty, hope you manage to get your roof problems sorted, it's been going on too long.
We had enormous carrots last week Harrigran, half a one was enough between us as part of a meal.
We shall be going out later to shop, just hope we are both allowed in together.
I wore my newly finished jumper yesterday, ut wasn't pleased with the neckline, so I undid it in bed, and will now have topick up the stitches and re- do it
Marydoll, such a palaver over your meds, but the revised letter should hopefully do the trick. Is your blood pressure OK?
Hoping everyone had as good a night as possible and that your day and weekend is aa good as can be.

dragonfly46 Sat 16-Jan-21 10:15:25

Good morning from as kitty says soggy Leicestershire.

Ached all over yesterday and was wondering if this was the beginning of the virus which would be strange as I don't go anywhere but all gone today so maybe a false alarm!

You are very sceptical Sparklefizz. I believed every word of the Salt Path but I am now beginning to wonder. I have heard there is a sequel. I did think they were irresponsible to some degree or maybe that is because I am extra cautious.

GrannySomerset Sat 16-Jan-21 10:14:38

Like GrannyGravy I fear that hermit mode is kicking in and must be resisted. Looks like the rain is clearing so may venture out though as there is no real need perhaps we shouldn’t. Meanwhile the inevitable laundry and deciding what to eat is always there.

Hope Marydoll wins the Battle of the Printer (wish she would come and sort mine) and that the rest of us have as good a day as we can. Thinking of Auntieflo, Gillybob and all having a tough time.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 16-Jan-21 10:05:04

Good morning Mick and all

The light dusting of snow has been washed away by the sleety rain here, the GC will
be so disappointed.

No plans, might go to the local Farm Shop, but that could probably wait till Monday. I have zero motivation at the moment, hermit mode has kicked in which is so unlike me.

Thinking of all our missing Goodmorningers.

Auntiflo thanks

Keep safe and well folks ?‍♀️

Grandmadougal Sat 16-Jan-21 10:03:34

Good morning from a snowy Norfolk.

Looked out this morning and decided definitely a soup day, curried parsnip soup now cooking.

Don’t think we’ll venture out today looks too slippery.

Elderly relatives (3) all very poorly 1 COVID the other two progressive old age, very sad with the no visiting, it puts such a burden on those who are caring.

DGS very excited that a possible snowman could be built, they have more snow than us, he promised to send me a photo later.

Hope everyone has a safe day.

lemongrove Sat 16-Jan-21 10:02:04

Morning All.
Grey and rainy here too, am going to brave it shortly though, with a countryside walk, I have offered to take a neighbour’s dog ( neighbour not very well.)
Later must make a large chilli con carne, enough for two days.
I did think I may do some garden pruning as well, if not too rainy, I have to get fresh air, being inside all the time is suffocating.

Blossoming Sat 16-Jan-21 09:55:18

Good morning all. It’s raining here, terrible storm last night but seems calmer. Hope everyone is well.

NannyJan53 Sat 16-Jan-21 09:52:55

Good morning from a dull and grey Black Country, where it rained overnight.

Had a lovely long video call with two friends yesterday. Then in the afternoon read my book which looks very promising it is Broken Heart by Tim Weaver.

My SIL's Mum had her vaccination yesterday in Lichfield. She is 81 next month. Meanwhile my Mum aged 91 is still waiting for hers!

Thoughts are with Auntiefloflowers

baubles Sat 16-Jan-21 09:42:37

Justwidowed love the photo! grin

EllanVannin Sat 16-Jan-21 09:42:25

Good Morning All x.
Wet and soggy but feels milder than it has done of late.
A trip to the local shop is first on the agenda as a fresh loaf is needed to soak up the pea soup later for dinner, also a packet of parsley sauce mix. to go with the boiled ham tomorrow.

I'm preparing myself for another phone-call from the medical centre re. attending for my vaccination. It'll have to be a taxi. They've rang twice already so I can't keep putting it off.
A chap who lives in the area travelled by bus for a hospital appointment in the week and was refused treatment when he got there because he'd been on the bus ! The hospital's a few miles away too.

There's another walk-in centre nearer to me where I could actually walk to if I took my time, so why I couldn't go there I don't know, instead of messing about with lifts. I could have had the darned thing over and done with.

Looking at Scentia's dress isn't unlike some of the romper suits in photographs of my brother wearing them in the 40's, the top part of it anyway, so genderwise it wouldn't matter if it was altered at the bottom should there be a slip-up grin
Boys clothes in that era were quite feminine looking at some photo's I've got. Even brother's curly locks had a clip in them to stop the curls dangling in his eyes---what a wally grin

I keep noticing the lighter nights coming along nicely which has you looking forward to the Spring when we all cope better after what seems never-ending darkness.

A lot of Parsley-boxing going on so I must look into it as it sounds so convenient, but-----would there be enough helpings for me ? I'd make a sack of spuds do me twice {grin]
No harm in looking. I'm not so dainty when it comes to eating.

Anyway, hope all is well with everyone though thoughts are with travelsafar during this sad time. x Also Gilly who'll appear when she's ready as I understand how spaced-out she must feel x.
Anyone else under the weather, hope things improve as the day goes on.

Take care everyone and stay safe xx

Susan56 Sat 16-Jan-21 09:38:19

Just popping in to see if anyone has heard from Taichinan?Hope you’re ok Tai and hope to see you soon?

Alygran Sat 16-Jan-21 09:35:27

Good morning from North Yorkshire. It’s raining a bit and gently washing some of the snow away. Temperature is due to rise to 4 degrees today so perhaps the road will clear.
Croissants for breakfast shortly with a pot of freshly brewed coffee. My weekend treat!
Nothing much else on today.
Auntieflo posted yesterday after her appointment. She has another for a scan next week. flowers for her.
Have the best day you can everyone. Stay safe.

Sparklefizz Sat 16-Jan-21 09:34:13

Good morning Mick and all GNs from very wet South Glos.

I watch old repeats of Would I Lie to you on Dave most evenings before bedtime. Even though I've seen them before, they still make me laugh which relaxes me for a good night's sleep. It's quite a challenge living alone during a winter lockdown, but I have a family Zoom to look forward to this afternoon.

I have read The Salt Path Lins. I wondered if they really did make what seemed to me reckless choices when the husband was so ill, or was it exaggerated to make a better read?

Have a good day everyone, and thoughts to all who are struggling or ill. Hope you're making progress Marydoll. x

Gelisajams Sat 16-Jan-21 09:33:50

Good morning from Morecambe Bay where it is now drying up enough for DH to run. The door has just closed so I assume he’s gone. I’m feeling sorry for myself this morning as I lost a crown yesterday. It’s not too painful if I keep my tongue off it and don’t have a hot drink but I’m certainly regretting eating that sweet yesterday! I did ma manage to get an appointment at my dentist for Tuesday so hopefully it can be stuck back. I really don’t want a huge dental bill for a new crown at the moment.
Not much planned for today. I’ve already had my Saturday chat with my friend in Somerset. She had a phone call inviting her for ‘the jab’, but was thrown when they gave her a location she hadn’t heard of. Her instinctive response was to say I can’t walk that far as she no longer drives and has avoided taxis and public transport for so long. She said she would wait until she could be done at the surgery. Then she thought better of her decision, but when she rang back she was told she was back on the waiting list. I do wonder how they expect elderly frail people without family help to travel for these jabs in the current climate.
Thinking of everyone with bigger problems than me. Take care, stay safe.?

Elizabeth1 Sat 16-Jan-21 09:33:00

Good morning everyone from a real dreich day here on the east coast of Fife the sun looks like it might break through, hope so then perhaps we’ll get out for a wee drive in the car to-the beach we’ll stay in the car to keep safe then we’ll drive home. It’s amazing how this was very good for our well-being the first time around it’s like a repeat performance. I’m later in posting this morning my carer brought in a newbie today they were both very sharp in turning up. Both very nice young women. This area had a power cut in the wee small hours this morning we heard our phone in the charger making funny noises and my emergency call system went into overdrive I think by switching to battery mode, all is good now though otherwise I wouldn’t have got a delicious bacon and egg for breakfast thanks to my dh. To those who are unhappy this morning try and spoil yourself with a little treat of sorts. Keep safe, lots of love everyone flowers

Justwidowed Sat 16-Jan-21 09:30:56

Gòd morning Mick and everyone .I don't post often but read this thread every day .My coffèe goes cold nine mornings out of ten !

It's raining here in Lancashire but there is a bit of blue sky so maybe brighter later .We were told as children that if there was enough blue to patch a sailor's pants it would be fine later.
Nothing much on today so may after shower stay in dressing gown and pyjamas.
Yesterday was busy changing beds and catching up with washing and ironing. Ironing didn't take long ,out of tumble drier,smoothed and folded.Very different from when we returned from cruising with at least 15 shirts ,t shirts cotton trousers and my few articles..I don't have the cruises or the ironing but wish I still had the cause of them.
Hope everyone has as good a day as possible and manages a smile .

Mapleleaf Sat 16-Jan-21 09:26:34

Morning all,
grey and wet here in South Yorkshire. It’s rained quite a lot through the night which has got rid of some of the snow, but we’ve still got a lot on the ground.
Off for my flu jab shortly.
Hope everyone has the best day they can.
Take care ?

Grandmabatty Sat 16-Jan-21 09:23:43

Good morning all. Grey and breezy but milder in Polmont. 5 degrees at the moment. I'm heading to Aldi for the week's shop shortly. Yesterday I received a strange letter in the mail. It was hand written and in polish. It wasn't addressed to me but to the householder. Ds spent some time translating bits through the power of Google and apparently it was exhorting me to go to the Bible. Why it was in polish is a mystery! The original owners of Batty Towers were polish ,I believe, so that's the only connection. Very strange. Today is housework day. After I've been shopping,I'll nip to dd and pick up morning rolls that's she's got for me. Then home for cleaning. Have a good day all.

Scentia Sat 16-Jan-21 09:23:34

Grammaretto it most certainly is, I had a play when I first got my machine but this is the very first pattern I have used.

Greyduster Sat 16-Jan-21 09:17:42

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. It’s very grey and very cold in South Yorkshire at the moment. It was supposed to snow again in the early hours, but it hasn’t so far and as there was a bit of a thaw yesterday we were going to try and get out for a walk but to be honest I’m not really up for it. I feel as if I want to hide from it all at the moment.
Have a good day, folks.

Beauregard Sat 16-Jan-21 09:17:18

Marydoll sounds like your DH will be watching the racing this afternoon, leaving you to get on with your printer repairs undisturbed!

Nannytopsy Sat 16-Jan-21 09:17:08

Good morning Mick and all his followers from snowy Suffolk. Its still settling but forecast to turn to rain at lunchtime. Shame! Do I make the door curtain for the hall or start painting in the downstairs loo today? Decisions, decisions!!
I hope you get you roof men sorted Kitty.
I hope the day is kind to everyone