Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday

(87 Posts)
12Michael Sat 16-Jan-21 06:12:24

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark , but its sleetish outside here in Brackley at the moment .
Today, possible Laundrette early , watch TV , and maybe later go and get a Chinese Take Away as the evenings are starting to get lighter .
Stay in ,and just see how the day evolves .
Take Care,
Mick

Ashcombe Sat 16-Jan-21 06:27:14

Good morning to you all on a wet, miserable looking morning in Torbay. ☹️

It was good to see new folk joining us yesterday and for those who identified with me over giving birth in the hard Winter of ‘78/‘79, I’ve started a thread about it, which has attracted a few contributors.

Few plans today other than a toddle to the paper shop when the rain stops! Hope you all have a relaxing weekend. Take care and stay well. ?

Bellasnana Sat 16-Jan-21 06:38:20

Good morning from a cloudy Malta. The wind last night was very noisy but all is quiet again this morning.

A friend of mine has just returned from spending six months in Canada with her son and his family. Her five year old granddaughter said to her when she was leaving, ‘There is nothing good about ‘goodbye’, it should be ‘badbye’. A very wise child.

Meeting the daughter of a lovely Gransnet friend today. She has been working in Malta for a few months but thanks to Covid this will only be the second time we have met up.

Stay safe everyone.☀️?

grandMattie Sat 16-Jan-21 06:51:13

Good morning from a dry clear E Kent. We are forecast a dreadful day, sleet/snow most of the day. First of the season.
Had a disturbing confrontation with a man who shouted at me for not wearing a mask while queuing outside in the wind and rain. There were two of us; he was about 10 ft away from me. He got very angry when I said it was unnecessary. I’m practising saying that I’m a microbiologist and should know what I’m talking about. I AM one.
Nothing on again today. No rugby, very distressed DH.
Ash, My baby was 4 months old in winter ‘78; we’d just moved to Jersey, CI, where the drifts were 6’ height in places and were completely isolated from the mail for about a fortnight. It was unheard of, as you can imagine.
Have a gentle day y’all. Stay safe.

Beechnut Sat 16-Jan-21 06:54:17

Good Morning everyone from Severnside.it’s wet and rain forecast for the day so it’s perfect to get my admin jobs done. One of them I’ve been putting off for ages.

Children just get it right don’t they Bellasnana.
Welcome to yesterday’s new posters. It’s a nice place in here apart from the weather ? I’ve remembered to get my snow shovel out just in case.

My Parsley Box arrived yesterday afternoon so I’m looking forward to trying them. Thanks Mick.

Enjoy your weekend whatever you do and stay safe ?

Catlover21 Sat 16-Jan-21 06:56:04

Wardrobe day this morning, put everything I haven’t worn for a year into a bag and put it in the loft. If I don’t need it in the next six months it will be chopped up to make a memories quilt. Should be good weather this afternoon so a walk will be great.

Gagagran Sat 16-Jan-21 07:13:53

Morning all! Very wet and very dark here on the south coast 3.5 c temperature.

Only item on today's agenda is to give DH a haircut. He hasn't any hair on top so it's just a matter of using the clippers on the back, sides and his neck. Trim his eyebrows and brush up the bits and it's "next customer please!"

I have sent for the Parsley Box brochure after Mick's recommendation. DH is always up for a "proper meal" and I often only want something light so it might help to have something quick and easy in the cupboard. Will be interested to hear what you think of them Beechnut

Vaccinations seem to be gathering pace so should not be too long now before we get the call. Both in the over 75s.

Thinking of Aunty Flo and never forgetting Gillybob.

Keep safe and as positive as you can. We will get through this. sunshine

Dwmxwg Sat 16-Jan-21 07:21:47

Good morning from a very wet north Surrey, not the heavy snow which was forecast.
Got to work yesterday and they said what are you doing here? Basically cock up their end as I had an email proving I had been booked but the person booking me hadn’t put me on the rota, no work today either! However I feel like I have dipped my toe back in, saw some of my lovely colleagues for a quick catch-up and I and am booked for Tuesday so ??I will be working then. It does mean my very large jigsaw is getting some more attention.
Thoughts to all with illness and worries at the moment

Scentia Sat 16-Jan-21 07:43:55

Good Morning all from East Staffordshire where it is still dark and raining ☔️
DH and I will be going into work for a while this morning, every day feels the same at the moment and we have lots to do.
I have started my very first dress, using a pattern and my new sewing machine, gosh it was hard getting the zip in, it still looks a bit of a mess but it is in!!
The dress is for my new DGD who is due end of April so I hope they didn’t make a mistake with the gender!!!
Have a lovey, even if it is wet, day and stay safe❤️

Sar53 Sat 16-Jan-21 07:46:54

Good morning from a wet and windy Essex by the sea. Snow is forecast but not sure we will get any being so close to the sea.
Groundhog day again, I will not be going out for a walk if its wet.
Bed changing and ironing this morning. I'm sure there will be some sport on tv for DH to watch this afternoon. I will be getting on with my latest cross Stitch.
DD1 sent me the login for the online portal so I can see what DGD4 has been doing at school. She only started reception in September and it was lovely to see the Chrismas play and party.
Have a good day and stay safe and well everyone xx

Viridian Sat 16-Jan-21 07:47:40

Good morning from a wet but positively hot - 10° - south Cornwall!

Mick, you should get commission from Parsley Box. Mine arrives on Monday and my daughter is thinking about ordering too.

My bubble son is coming to pick up a sofa today for his home office, hopefully before Argos deliver my new chair, otherwise my micro-home will be chockablock. I'll potter with my topiary ivy on the patio meanwhile, basking in the change of temperature. wink

The best of days to you all.

cornergran Sat 16-Jan-21 07:50:43

Morning Mick, morning All from a dark, wet corner of Somerset. Yesterday passed quickly enough faffing and going for a long-ish walk in sunshine for once. I’ll settle to some admin this morning leaving Mr C to puzzle over his latest jigsaw. Thoughts are with Auntieflo and all managing illness, it can seem so much harder to do at the moment. Hope marydoll had a good night. Look after yourselves everyone.

Jaxjacky Sat 16-Jan-21 07:57:05

Good morning all from a dark, wet S Hants, due to rain at least all morning. Had a very nice Indian meal delivered last night with enough left for one of us another day.
DGS is 8 next Friday, we’ve bought him a skateboard from his birthday list, need to wrap that up and unpack other deliveries that have been sitting for a few days. DH made some staggered kitchen shelves from the left over kitchen quartz, I’ve bought some book ends for the cookery books and an artificial plant, I kill any real indoor plants, I hope it doesn’t attract dust!! DH will get the paper in a while, my weekly treat
Have a gentle day all.

brook2704 Sat 16-Jan-21 08:01:05

Good morning everyone from a wet and windy Inverness, I’m not sure if I’ll be going out too far today. Yesterday we enjoyed a long local walk in the morning, just exploring areas close to home and then I settled down for a lazy afternoon reading. DH likes to keep busy, or more accurately I like to keep him busy ? so he had a few little painting jobs to get on with.
Such a beautiful dress for your future DGD Scentia well done, I love the 3 little daisies at the front
A very warm welcome to all new posters, so pleased you’ve joined us on this lovely good morning thread
Thinking of everyone with worries and struggles, hope the day is kind to you all. Take care whatever the day brings ?

Beauregard Sat 16-Jan-21 08:02:42

Good morning all. A wet, horrible day here in Derbyshire.

I've just been out for a short walk and called at the shop on the way. That's it for the day as I'm not on ? duty today...unless they break through the fence again, like they did yesterday ?

Hopefully we'll watch the racing this afternoon if it's not abandoned due to waterlogged courses.

Have a good Saturday everyone.

NanKate Sat 16-Jan-21 08:04:42

Morning Mick and All.

Light dusting of snow here in South Bucks. Won’t be venturing out today will probably go on YouTube and do the Walk a Mile in 15 minutes exercise. I mute the sound and walk to my own music.

I’ve sent for the Parsley Box brochure so will make our selections today. I’m like you GagaGran my DH likes a proper meal I could survive on Teatime meals. DH is cooking tonight to give me a break. What a relief Phew !

Urmstongran Sat 16-Jan-21 08:09:13

Good morning everyone from South Manchester where it’s sleety rain here too and I think, forecast for all day. Such a shame as Saturdays are the day we could wrap up warmly and meet up and see the grandchildren in the local park with a takeaway coffee like last week. No indoor meets up + rain = no meet ups. Such a shame.
?

So. No plans. Won’t be walking in this. Glad we went for a walk yesterday. Yes, dear Reader, I really did!
#lazygran

I enjoyed watching a bio of Dolly Parton last night. I Googled her (don’t you just love that word has become a verb?) and she will be 75y next week. She’s more glamorous, slim and has more energy than me and I’m 8 years younger! Oh dear. Maybe I should make more effort. I’ll start by buying a long, blonde curly wig.
?

My stepfather gets his jab this morning, he’s 88y. The vaccination roll out is going great guns now. Giving us all some hope which is much needed.

Hope Saturday is good to us all. Hello to you catlover ?
I hope Autieflo’s hospital appointment went well yesterday.
Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

maydonoz Sat 16-Jan-21 08:12:32

Good morning all from Welwyn, Herts where we woke up to a light blanket of snow, but now sounds more like sleet against the window.
Will brave the weather later to pop out to the shops but otherwise it's a day for staying indoors in the warmth.
Hope everyone has a pleasant day.

kittylester Sat 16-Jan-21 08:17:26

Good morning from a soggy North Leicestershire both inside and out.

We are attempting to get our money back from the people who put the rubber coating on our flat roof as it has been done incorrectly! DH wrote to them and we got the most aggressive reply. We are gearing up for a fight.

Sending love to AuntieFlo and waving to gilly in the hope that she is looking in.

NfkDumpling Sat 16-Jan-21 08:18:22

Morning All

I just popped by to see how many others had the promised dump of snow this morning, as there was only the lightest hint of a dusting here in the north bit of Norfolk. But I just opened the curtains - and we have proper snow! It's lovely to look out at when you're not going out in it!

May make bread today.

harrigran Sat 16-Jan-21 08:28:03

Good morning from a wet and windy NE.
My phone and tablet have been talking to each other all night and sending notification signals, I must put my phone in another room at bedtime.
Vaccination for me at 7.30 tonight otherwise nothing else on today.
Made a big pot of carrot and coriander soup yesterday, I have never seen such enormous carrots, were not really suitable for serving up as a vegetable.
Take care.

baubles Sat 16-Jan-21 08:28:49

Good morning Mick, morning all from S Lanarkshire where overnight rain has seen off most of the snow, hurrah!

Another day stretches ahead. My eldest DGD was showing me her homeschool timetable the other day via FaceTime, I think I need one to motivate me to do more with my time.

That’s such a pretty little dress Scentia, so clever of you. It’s almost a year since the little craft group I belong to last met and I’ve been quite lax in my efforts of late. Bellasnana enjoy your meet up today.

I hope everyone has a good day. thanks

ginny Sat 16-Jan-21 08:38:45

Good Morning. If you like dark clouds and rain , then it is a lovely day here in N. Bucks. At least we have avoided snow so far.
Weekly , local food shop and I must gets some postage stamps and pick up my prescription. Otherwise pottering and crochet.

Lovely dress*Sencia*. Our Dd and SIL didn’t want to know the sex of baby due early May so, anything I make has to be unisex.

Hope you all find a ? today.

Georgesgran Sat 16-Jan-21 08:43:02

Good morning from Durham. Wet, wild and windy - the weather, not me!
Hospital courier delivered DH’s meds yesterday, so the start of another 21 day course, with the usual unpleasant side effects.
Long chat with a friend yesterday - now divorced and living alone, I think she needed to off load about things in general.

As for going out today? I wouldn’t send a dog out in this. (Local saying) but feel sorry for DD1 who has to head into work.

Urm - I saw that Dolly programme last night - she often says it costs a fortune to look so cheap!

Thinking of those with troubles. Hopefully our regular posters will turn up soon. X

Viridian Sat 16-Jan-21 08:44:18

Lovely dress Scentia.