Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's welcoming kitchen for kindly caring folk...

(1001 Posts)
soop Sun 17-Jan-21 17:38:28

Welcome dear Kitcheners. I shall pour the cocktails. Make yourselves comfortable and enjoy the wonderous food provided in the buffet.flowers

Now that you all have a place to relax, I shall leave you to enjoy your first evening in this truly special kitchen. smile moon

soop Mon 18-Jan-21 17:38:32

Grandmafrench So sorry to hear that you've been suffering awful pain. Such injuries take a long time to mend. Keep up with the relaxing regime and enjoy being fussed over. You deserve it. flowers

Mr Soop has spent much of this afternoon trying to get answers from BT to no avail. He has now thanked those who have tried their best to assist us. BUT...he has made it clear that, after this week, if the problem persists, he's going to lodge a strongly worded formal complaint as per the advice that a certain dear kitchener has given us.

Away to feed a beautiful feline. She now sits on the utility room door mat for about an hour. She tucks her legs well under and appears to be dozing. That is until we touch the door handle. Then...off to her apartment she strolls.

Night night dear peoples. Stay well. Hoping that we meet again tomorrow. smile moon

Jaxjacky Mon 18-Jan-21 18:11:08

Grandmafrench you need to borrow Hellogirl1’s new sofa to recline your ankle on, but may take a few weeks to install.. buggeration for poorly ankles and hurray for new sofas. Soop your BT saga is beginning to rival the longest running farce in the world, but it’s not remotely funny.
Anyway, I’m going to see if the bar has a soupçon of tequila for a margharita, I’ve bought ice in a cool box and limes to help out, chin, chin..

Urmstongran Mon 18-Jan-21 20:24:42

‘Evening All’
?

Sorry to hear about your painful immobility GrandmaFrench. Hope you’re in less pain tomorrow.

Been out for a long leisurely walk with a friend this afternoon, take away coffees in hand. Very enjoyable. The weather is about to turn tonight with 2 days of torrential rain so I’m glad we made the most of this afternoon.

Before we ate I spent a good hour sorting out shelves in my (our) wardrobe. Piled stuff on the bed, got lost looking at photos from years ago. A few photos saddened me. People who were in my life and are no longer.

I’m off to watch some beautiful scenery in a programme on Devon & Cornwall. Hope everyone has a peaceful night ahead. x

‘Goodnight All’.

Grandmafrench Mon 18-Jan-21 22:01:45

You're such kind peeps! I am strapped up with blue, Inksafe self adherent Cohesive bandages! (What?) Very comfortable and will do me nicely to stop the ankle bending too much under the covers tonight. You're right, I think, GrandmaB - it's an old injury. I broke my ankle skiing (well going uphill at the time, to be honest!!!) I was told it would all come back to haunt me when I arrived at old age. The same old age that's "not for sissies". So it occasionally plays up for almost no reason but I've never had sudden pain as severe as today. However, I can now weight bear, that's all I was worried about. The strapping will hopefully give it enough rest that I can take it off tomorrow. Night night and sleep well all of you. x

Nannytopsy Mon 18-Jan-21 23:03:38

Keep that foot up GF! I had a bit of an incident with my dodgy knee and a step ladder yesterday which has woken the arthritis again ?. Never mind, the painting is finished!
I hope you all have wellies, snorkels and flippers ready for the next couple of days.

Hellogirl1 Mon 18-Jan-21 23:38:08

Sorry to hear you`re in such pain Grandmafrench, I hope that the support bandages do their stuff,
The new settee will have ton stay now, if it couldn`t be got in, it certainly can`t be got out, so if I sell up it will be a house "complete with sofa"!
Soop, I hope that Mr Soop has girded his loins ready for the fight? Although he seems much too gentle to get into too much of a fight.
I`ve spent the day getting things back in my display cabinet, have managed half, the rest will be done tomorrow, mostly my Lilliput Lane collection.
I`ve got a new, although small problem now. I have a small folding table for when I use the laptop, but this sofa is a tad higher than the other, making the table too low, and I`m getting shocking backache leaning over the laptop.

Puzzler61 Tue 19-Jan-21 07:41:47

Popping in early to read yesterday’s news from you all.
I don’t have any printable words for your treatment by B.T. soop. Change provider as soon as possible as they DO NOT deserve your hard earned pennies when they are so frustratingly useless.
Hellogirl enjoy your new sofa, it’s been a while coming - and I hope you can find a new table that suits your laptop height-wise.
Grandmafrench what have you done to yourself? Good that you’re strapped with bandage but I hope it enabled you to have a decent night’s sleep and it eases tomorrow.
I heard there’s a storm coming Nannytopsy - hatches battened down here.
There seem to be a few Cornwall and Devon programmes on at the moment Urmston and they are welcome escapism at this time. Did you see Rick Stein in the Hepworth garden in St Ives? Very interesting.
Disappearing to make my second cup of mint tea - there is a box of Pukka Three Mint tea bags on the side, please help yourselves if you are partial to it ☕️
TOYA

Yiayia4 Tue 19-Jan-21 10:10:37

Soop BT need shooting let’s hope you get some news today.
Healing thoughts to Grandmafrench hope your not in too much pain.
I’m very concerned about my GS is has become very worried about the virus.He’s not sleeping, crying a lot and thinks everyone will die!
He’s only six so sad he hear he is so upset.
I just want to go and give him a big hug but of course I can’t
difficult times for us all.

Urmstongran Tue 19-Jan-21 10:41:43

Ah that poor little boy sounds so scared Yiayia4. He’s going to need huge dollops of reassurance, cuddles and as much as possible within the home - less chat about the virus. Little pigs have big ears. Mute the tv at news time perhaps?

I hope he is less anxious very soon. x

Susan56 Tue 19-Jan-21 10:43:25

Grandmafrench, hope you are in less pain this morning.

Yiayia, it is heartbreaking that your little grandson is so upset.Could you maybe talk to him about something you will do when all this is over so he has something to look forward to and focus on.Maybe a trip to the beach or the zoo.

My granddaughter is five, she is now very anxious about going out, they live in the middle of nowhere so she has got used to their quiet life but gets very stressed if they drive into town and see lots of people, worrying they will catch the virus and worrying that places are going to close and they will be trapped.We have been planning a trip to the beach with her.Heaven only knows when it will happen but when we talk to her she will tell us something else we can put in the picnic or take to play with.

We are on childcare duties today.Had a horrendous drive over.A lot of floodwater and we came across an accident.A very brave man was standing on the grass verge in the pitch black waving a torch around to guide us round the flood and the accident.What a hero,he definitely saved more cars from being involved in the carnage.

Hope Mr soop has got somewhere with the BT fiasco??and hope Hellogirl had a lovely relaxing evening sitting on the new settee?

TOYA

MawBe Tue 19-Jan-21 10:44:36

Grandmafrench I hope you are in less pain now and reclining graciously on your chaise -longue while M. French peels you a grape!

Feeling a bit of a wobble this morning (don’t ask) my mood has just been lifted by the UPS man with a lovely parcel from my “good friend” in Sweden Gudrun Sjõden. I actually ordered more than 1 of the stripy cardigan to compare but am now so tempted to keep them both .(Half price in her sale) Only problem is that I have nowhere to wear anything to. Perhaps I’ll be the poshest dressed putting the bins out
(Get thee behind me Satan - and give me a little push! Can I send the bill to Rishi Sunak?)
If anybody spots me anywhere but in this lovely safe space will you please send me back to the Kitchen PDQ.

Urmstongran Tue 19-Jan-21 10:48:32

Ooh beautiful clothes Maw I can well understand your temptation. Go for it woman! (you deserve it, I always tell myself).

I’m off to look at the site ... I particularly like the top.
?

Yiayia4 Tue 19-Jan-21 11:34:30

Thanks Susan and Urmstongran his dad took him fishing on Sunday his favourite thing and his older brother is very good with him.
We always did a lot of childcare but DH is quite vulnerable so can’t now but I’ve told him we will do lots of nice things soon.
My Dil had the virus in December and was quite poorly so thats how it started.Let’s hope for better times for us all.
Lovely clothes Maw treat yourself.

Nannytopsy Tue 19-Jan-21 11:41:47

Lovely colours Maw. I keep deleting the emails that come from clothes companies. Just keep wearing the same things, particularly a pair of disreputable trousers and a painty shirt this week. ?
Nice to see you again Maw.

annodomini Tue 19-Jan-21 11:43:01

Hellogirl, so pleased that you can finally recline upon your new sofa. If you have any thick books, could you use them to elevate your table to the right level? If you lived next door to me, I could supply some!
A long email from my cousin in Florida made me think about what is going to happen in Washington and other centres tomorrow. Let's hope that the security precautions they have taken will be enough to prevent any repetitions of that horrendous insurrection.
Post-vaccine now, and not suffering side effects, I feel very privileged to be an octogenarian! Now it looks as if my (slightly) younger friends will be able to have their first doses soon. Hope all you kitcheners will soon be invited to have yours. There is a faint glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.

Grandmabatty Tue 19-Jan-21 12:02:58

Hello fellow Kitcheners. We don't have the storm although it's scheduled to hit us late Wednesday or Thursday and bring snow with it. I got a lovely present in the mail today from a good friend who I haven't seen for ages. It was such a welcome surprise and lifted my spirits. Susan that sounds horrendous. Fingers crossed the road is better for you going home. Babysitting duties today. It looks like I'll be toddler wrestling all week as his dad has a stomach bug and his grandad is going into hospital on Thursday. My daughter is working from home and juggling all sorts at the moment. Grandmafrench keep resting that foot. You have beach walks and all sorts to do. I'm having a cuppa while said toddler naps. Yesterday I spoke to soon but fingers crossed for a long rest today. Have a good day all. Stay safe .

dragonfly46 Tue 19-Jan-21 12:39:44

Hallo Kitcheners - I have finally located you all. Where were you hiding?

Sorry to hear you are in pain Grandmafrench - I hope it eases soon.

Your poor little DGS YiaYia. I remember my DS becoming really anxious during the Iraqi war. He didn't say anything but he became really naughty at school. We stopped watching the news and he soon settled down.

I love the new clothes Maw. I have resisted buying new clothes but we have treated ourselves to a new coffee machine and milk frother - after all we cannot go out for coffee at the moment.

Talking of cocktails Urmston I prefer Sex on the Beach!

cornergran Tue 19-Jan-21 13:04:20

Hello everyone. Its been a frustrated morning here, nothing but on line aggro trying to regain access to banking - it seems something was entered incorrectly - got there in the end thanks to a very helpful and patient soul in the call centre. Then on to Hermes who not only haven't collected the parcel we paid for last week but insist it doesn't exist. Not yet managed to get past their automated system, have given up and used the Resolver web site. Might help.

And breathe

Otherwise all is well in corner land. Mr C has accomplished the task he set himself involving removing the dishwasher which is now safely back and still working. Not that I doubted him grin.

There was no knee injection yesterday, strong recommendation to wait until after my covid vaccination whenever it comes. Instead the physio extended the session time and focused on my back pain. Outcome is yet another MRI, this time upper spine and neck, and a referral to a consultant spinal neurologist. I was really touched by her care in understanding this long running issue, her concern and her insistence I am to phone her with any worries at all. The NHS at its best, so lucky.

Hope Mr Soop is managing to get BT to understand the severity of the situation and you aren't too stressed soop.

Maw, those clothes are fabulous, keep them all, you deserve them.

Our middle grandchild was a worrier for a couple of years YiaYia and Susan, convinced we were all going to die. It did pass, horrible while it was happening though as there seemed to be no way of consoling her.

Safe travelling susan, water is so dangerous. Hope you've been resting grandmafrench, please seek treatment if it doesn't fix itself quickly she says with the lecture received yesterday about the dangers of ignoring anything bone related ringing in her ears.

Lunch time here now, will go and look hopefully in the fridge. This evenings chilli is bubbling away in the slow cooker, sadly not ready yet (I did try in hope smile).

TOYA

BladeAnnie Tue 19-Jan-21 13:27:43

Just popping in to say hello and to send gentle virtual hugs to all our friends who are in pain or who are going through difficult times. Mr BA has just brought me a camomile and spearmint tea in my favourite mug so all is good with the world here atm. Taking mother's shopping later this after and then on nanna duty tomorrow. DGD will be here at just after 6am before DD1 goes off to look after poorly people with covid. What a worry this all is. Stay safe everyone and enjoy the rest of your day

soop Tue 19-Jan-21 14:53:11

Maw I too shall look at the Gud site. I also like the tunic top. You deserve it.

Grandmafrench Don't you dare start scuttling around until that ankle is fully rested.

BladeAnnie Thank you to people like your wonderful daughter seems so inadequate. I trust that long after this terrible time is a but a distant memory, such people will be remembered, respected and reassured that their efforts have been beyond price. [flower]

corner Mr Soop was very quiet earlier today. He then confessed that he shouldn't have raised his voice after yesterday's fruitless BT phone call. I've reassured him. There can't be a more courteous man living on the west coast of Scotland. At the end of this week, if there is no resolution, he is taking the next almighty big step with my approval.

Yiayia Little children need lots of cuddles right now. (hugs) Here is one from me.

soop Tue 19-Jan-21 15:11:57

dragonfly Sex on the beach...I wish wink

Susan I've seen the extent of the floods on television. Isn't it cruel that such things continue to create mayhem at a time when Covid is rampant. Where will people go if their homes are a wash out? Where will the cash come from to replace ruined furnishings?
I'm thankful that someone took it upon himself to foreworn you of an accident. I wish you safe journeying.

A parcel was delivered today. It was a frame. The glass was in bits. Hey ho!

soop Tue 19-Jan-21 15:13:16

I've a new ironing board cover. The highlight of the day is to use it for the first time. I'm easily pleased. wink

Urmstongran Tue 19-Jan-21 15:26:43

We’ve just decided to have fish, chips and mushy peas for tea. No cooking. Hurrah!
?
The chippy is just downstairs in the lift and round the corner. Himself goes in (one mask-wearing person at a time only), places his order, pays, then apparently (I never go!) you have to wait outside until the door opens with your food.

Back up in the lift, hands washed whilst I share it out.

Nannytopsy Tue 19-Jan-21 15:53:02

We are home schooling tomorrow so we will do the boy’s favourite school dinner of fish and chips! Never mind that it isn’t Friday ?
I thought I had finished decorating but the door looks terrible, even after 2 coats. I know it’s better for the environment but modern paint is dreadful! Thursday then ..,
Good luck to MrSoop with BT!

Yiayia4 Tue 19-Jan-21 16:07:03

Sounds good to me Urmstongran we have curried cottage pie!sounds strange but tastes nice.
This is Oscar and he loves a hug

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion