Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's welcoming kitchen for kindly caring folk...

(1001 Posts)
soop Sun 17-Jan-21 17:38:28

Welcome dear Kitcheners. I shall pour the cocktails. Make yourselves comfortable and enjoy the wonderous food provided in the buffet.flowers

Now that you all have a place to relax, I shall leave you to enjoy your first evening in this truly special kitchen. smile moon

ixion Tue 16-Feb-21 15:44:40

Ah, Soop, The Glums!
Do you remember Ron and Eth on the Radio in the 1950s?

NanaandGrampy Tue 16-Feb-21 17:02:14

Poor Mya Muse , poorly tummy and rubbish food :-)

I know Sam gets a very hangdog expression if his coffee time treat in the evening is not forthcoming :-)

soop Tue 16-Feb-21 17:27:24

ixion Was that Ron and Eff ? or Eth? hmm I shall stop this moping forethwith. Thank you for making me smile.

Muse Message for poorly Mya, I'm sending you a get well cuddle. It's allowed.

I ironed and watched my favourite (Halep) slaughtered on court by Serena Williams. The volume was on "mute". Too much yelling for my liking. hmm

Fern is relishing a dish of cooked chicken in the utility room. When the weather is more favourable, we'll leave the kitchen door ajar. If she is tempted to step across the threshold...we'll be delighted.

We shall need to move into yet another kitchen before too long. Should we go "rustic" this time? Space-age kitchens lack character, methinks.

Enjoy your evening. Thinking of all our Kitcheners, especially absent, poorly people of whom we are very fond.

smile moon

ixion Tue 16-Feb-21 17:33:12

Soop June Whitfield was Eth (just double-checked!).
Amazing to think that she was continuing to delight us, decades later, in Ab Fab
AND all the other roles in between, I hasten to add?

Urmstongran Tue 16-Feb-21 19:30:29

‘Evening All’
?

A busy day done. We drove my stepfather to the Eye Hospital in central Manchester where he had his cataract op done and just over four hours later we picked him up and settled him at home. He does very well for an 88 y.o.

I rang him at 6pm and he was tired. Just taken 2 paracetamol and was off to his bed soon. I shall chat to him in the morning before I go for my covid jab.

I hope everyone has a peaceful night ahead. x

‘Goodnight All’.

Jaxjacky Tue 16-Feb-21 20:17:31

Well I’ve done a total of notalot today, I really feel I ought to have actually produced something. But apart from a cleaner carpet, (I did hoover), MrJ cooked dinner, his specialty, sausages, mash and beans, (we do love chicken sausages). I levered myself out for a walk, dodging showers, tinkered with my Tesco delivery list, rang our friend who lives on his own for a chat and that’s it. What a lazy bint.
Hoping all pets are fine, especially Mya
My thoughts particularly this evening are with panache and Mr P a hard road ahead x.

Grandmafrench Tue 16-Feb-21 20:59:38

Hello Kitchen peeps. You can be 'comely' too, if you wish, N&G. Don't forget "winsome' is also up for grabs. But we'll fight anyone who tries to label us 'buxom', eh? I'm still amused at 'porky' - even if it was aimed at the pigeon. ?

Ann so lovely to hear from you. Whingeing? What are you talking about? Did you read what you wrote? Remember when you were so desperate and in pain and couldn't move from your bed to the dressing table, and the surgery and hospital lists had quickly passed over your name only days before the date they'd given you; and Covid had fallen on us and there was very little hope. You fought back, you even decided to have the surgery done privately because you just couldn't cope with the pain anymore. You were suddenly remembered and you actually were given a slot after being so low and putting up with so much.

You went to hell and back, you came through the surgery, you tried so hard with the pain and recovery. You gave it your best shot, you triumphed and now you can say you are pain free. That is no mean achievement.

So, your current problem with going out after being careful and being in and taking things one small day at a time is bound to have left you with some anxiety. I'm not sure whether you are worried about going out now and again (having had your first inoculation?) or whether you are really anxious about not feeling fully fit, maybe falling, maybe damaging the work that's been done in some way. But, you're bigger and stronger and more courageous than that. You've proved it. All you need to do (yes, easy for me to say) is go out just a little way and often. Maybe a trip to somewhere safe and flat and where you can walk with someone? Maybe your GD? A bit further each time until you get your proper strength back in that limb. If you can feel that you are taking part in a bit of life again and, as has been suggested, if you could use one of those nice walkers with a small seat and a basket so that if necessary you will have somewhere instant to sit if you feel that you need a rest, and you have some company, I think you'll get back to your old self very quickly. Be brave........you've been so much braver. Learning to be out and about now, slowly and not rushing stuff, will be the icing on the cake that you have bravely baked for yourself. Go for it. There's not a single person who knows you on these threads that won't be cheering you on. Let us know how it goes. You're going to do this, I promise. ?

I'm quite weary after a pleasant painting day - the bedroom corridor is looking very smart. (We don't have stairs and a landing here, so corridor it is.) Sun shone and because DH has started cutting the hedges and uncovered quite a straggly bit, he persuaded me to go out with him for an hour and buy a nice big hedging plant to fill the gap. Success. And we even found time/remembered pancakes! All in all, a bit of a Mojo Rediscovered day for a change.

Sleep well all you patient peeps. Tomorrow's another day for us to seize it by the collar and give life a good shaking.
Sweet dreams and to all with sadness and worries, fondest wishes and hopes for you all. x
Nighty night ?‍♀️ (with hugs)

brook2704 Tue 16-Feb-21 21:36:59

What a lovely post grandmafrench ?

Jaxjacky Tue 16-Feb-21 21:58:43

Grandmafrench thank goodness your mojo is back! As always, the most cheering of posts. Thank you.

BladeAnnie Tue 16-Feb-21 21:59:10

Just popping on to say goodnight everyone. Beautiful flowers Puzzler flowers. And Muse I love Frog in Bog!! I just bought DGD a book called Oi Frog and it's animals with rhyming words - Ruby finds the "moles on poles", "puffins on muffins" etc etc hilarious. So nanna will have a new one for her next time!! Virtual hugs to all who are in need and please stay safe

mamaa Tue 16-Feb-21 22:10:01

Evening kitcheners. I read often but rarely contribute as not much to say these days. However... need to let Urms know that her SOAP dish was delish. I printed off the recipe and him indoors prepped and cooked it.
Also had Pfizer jab this morning so good vibes in this house all day today. ????

muse Tue 16-Feb-21 22:58:28

Very late visit to the Kitchen. Hour long facetime with daughter tonight. Good tonic.

Thank you for the messages for Mya. First day of dry food (no wheat in it). She definitely misses the wet food. Only ate half of what I put down . Doing 4 small meals a day.

Sleep well folks. Hope all those pancakes settle well.

cornergran Tue 16-Feb-21 23:27:38

Hello everyone. Late visit from me so I’ll be quiet.

I’m sorry you feel low ann, lots of good advice here. Please try the little and often approach, it should help both physically and emotionally. You’ve faced so much. This final hill must feel like a mountain. Good to see you back with us, you’ve been missed,

My heads in a spin again this evening, some more worrying family news to absorb. Just wish it would stop coming for a while, my worry box is overflowing.

I’d love to try urms SOAP dish, trouble is I don’t eat pork. Would it work with chicken do you think urms and everyone? Easy to prepare meals are valued here.

Where did you find your mojo grandmafrench? Any more hiding there? Wherever it was I’m pleased you found it or it found you again.

A positive day for me, spent two hours enjoyably sorting and repacking things in the loft. I know, an odd thing to enjoy. All is now tidy, I can find things and the real bonus is it will stay tidy, unlike the ‘downstairs’ cupboards. The bonus has been a cheaper than expected quote for some fencing from a well respected local company. I suspect they took pity on this harassed looking, white haired, decrepit woman. Whatever the reason we’re not looking gift quotes in the mouth.

We’re also missing our grandchildren, especially our Littlest who is so upset he can’t be with his extended family. He hates FaceTime so that’s rarely an option. Of course we miss them all, the other two are older and do communicate. Sometimes grin. It’s horrid isn’t it n&g? Hopefully not long now before we can have at least a distanced walk with them.

Time for sleep now. Sleep well everyone. Look after yourselves.

Galen Wed 17-Feb-21 08:13:35

Waiting for the transportation home!?

Jaxjacky Wed 17-Feb-21 08:18:17

Good news Galen you’ve excelled, marmite on the horizon!

aggie Wed 17-Feb-21 08:20:32

Great news Galen I hope the transport arrives sooner than later xx

grannysyb Wed 17-Feb-21 08:23:48

Pleased to hear that Galen, hope you do t have to wait too long.

Iam64 Wed 17-Feb-21 08:26:14

Great news Galen
I had yet another shielding letter in my mailbox this morning. Shielding to be reviewed end of March. Trying to stay positive.

cornergran Wed 17-Feb-21 08:33:22

Good news galen. Hope it’s with you soon.

Charleygirl5 Wed 17-Feb-21 08:40:42

Galen nothing like your own bed (and fridge contents) to which you can look forward. Transport has improved.

I hope Mya has had a good night muse.

It looks as though we will be moving soon- I prefer modern kitchens because they are easier to clean.

NanaandGrampy Wed 17-Feb-21 09:07:39

Morning all,

Hope you're home now Galen - enjoy the peace and quiet. I always found hospitals to be stressful places where sleep was in short supply.

How is Mya now Muse ? I always put a tablespoon of gravy on dry food ( be careful you use a GF one if you do ( I think oxo are gf but not sure) .

Sorry to hear you have worries Corner - everything is so much harder these days.

mama good news you've had the vaccination , I cant wait till friday for mine.

Now 'winsome'' I like Grandmafrench. I'll take that :-)

Im off for lashing of crusty toast with proper butter- oh I live a high life.

Happy Day all xx

Galen Wed 17-Feb-21 09:16:28

I’m home folks!?

Grandmabatty Wed 17-Feb-21 09:24:15

Good news Galen. Take it very easy. Grandmafrench that was a really inspiring post yesterday. Cornergran ?

annsixty Wed 17-Feb-21 10:00:09

Welcome home Galen I hope you have some good care in place and most importantly do as you are told.
My friend with the broken shoulder and ribs was sent home late on Monday afternoon.
Her D has come to stay for a few days while a care package is organised.
Thank you Grandma french for you very kind words to me, it means so much that people care.
I am realising my age is racing past and when down my mortality looms, family remind me that my very feisty and independent mother lived to 101 and although my father died at 49, his mother and sisters mostly lived into their 90’s as did my maternal aunt and two of her brothers.
I forgot to mention I have a new cleaner, my other one decided to finish at first lockdown.
My GD was finding it hard to look after me when I was unable to do anything, work full time and
keep on top of things.
The new “ lady” is frighteningly efficient, not speedy like the whirlwind I had previously but very thorough.
It is a huge weight removed knowing things are getting done.
I now need to finish my Sainsbury’s order for delivery tomorrow and finally get myself dressed to face what is left of the day.
Take care everyone.

Puzzler61 Wed 17-Feb-21 11:25:30

Good to know you’re home Galen flowers
Grandmafrench you are so kind, you just know the right words to say to everyone and we know they are sincerely meant from your big heart. ?
soop I hope you are feeling better and the rugby and tennis have kept you occupied while you rest. ?
annsixty glad you have a cleaner, that is such a big help for you.
I’ve been re-painting little ceramic birds on sticks this morning and they will go into the pots of daffs that are coming up. It was very relaxing.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion