Gransnet forums

Chat

Which Name Would You Choose?

(222 Posts)
FannyCornforth Mon 18-Jan-21 09:36:47

For Yourself, I mean?

(Hello by the way smile)

A bit of light relief on a Monday morning.

What name would you choose for yourself - first, middle, surname, whatever?

One thing that I miss about MN are the baby name threads, I love thinking about names, I think that lots of women do, whether it's from a baby point of view or due an interest in words.

I suppose it depends upon what 'suits' you aswell...

And has anyone ever called you something else for a prolonged amount of time?
When I did voluntary work at a museum, another volunteer was of the firmly held belief that my name was Heather (it isn't).

I'm undecided at present what name I'd choose, but I will mull it over while you post yours (please!)

Thank you x

Grandma70s Wed 20-Jan-21 14:50:07

My father wanted me to be called Catriona, but wasn’t sure how to pronounce it - CatREEona or CatriONA? (I think the former is correct). I’d have liked it. I like Caroline as well, but Catriona is better.

Callistemon Wed 20-Jan-21 14:55:36

I had a great-great Aunt Hannah
And a friend whose DD, Hannah, absolutely loved Hannah Montana

Callistemon Wed 20-Jan-21 14:57:47

Grandma70s

My father wanted me to be called Catriona, but wasn’t sure how to pronounce it - CatREEona or CatriONA? (I think the former is correct). I’d have liked it. I like Caroline as well, but Catriona is better.

My friend's DD is Catriona - Catreena
She had a school friend who pronounced it Catreeohna. I think they were English.

Marmight Wed 20-Jan-21 15:49:37

It was the ‘no one could spell it’ which put me off. I have a daughter with the same name!! I shall refer to you as ‘Palindrome’ from now ?

FannyCornforth Wed 20-Jan-21 15:53:00

Marmight I got all sorts - including Anner confused
If you don't mind me asking, how old is your Hannah?

Marmight Wed 20-Jan-21 15:59:07

She’s 45 ?. She has been called, in the past, Anna, Spanner, Han, Nan, Nannah. I refer to all my girls by their full names. Hrmmph

FannyCornforth Wed 20-Jan-21 16:05:05

Oh god. Spanner hmm
I remember it well.
So you were ahead of the crowd with her name aswell.
Did it annoy you when it became so popular? I know that my mom sometimes wished that she'd called me Anna instead.

NannaLyn Wed 20-Jan-21 16:12:00

Thanks Fanny, or should I say Hannah.

My granddaughter loved this program in the mid to late 80s so I watched quite a few episodes when I was called in to child mind in times of illness - she lives 200 miles away so we haven't seen her or the rest of our family since last February. (I'm clinically extremely vulnerable.)

Miley(?) Cyrus has certainly done well for herself since then.

Don't often post but usually browse daily. Hope your DH is feeling better. My DH was in hospital between Christmas and New Year with Urosepsis, acquired during a hospital procedure. Pleased to say he had his Covid vaccination last week and had no ill effects.

Don't need a prize - it was fun!

Lyn x (not my given name either but that's another story.)

LauraNorder Wed 20-Jan-21 17:29:13

FannyC ‘ I know that my mom sometimes wished that she’d called me Anna’.
You’d have still been her little palindrome

Grandma70s Wed 20-Jan-21 17:43:21

One of my sons is called Oliver. When he was born fifty years ago it was quite an unusual, original name. Now for some years it’s been one of the most popular boys’ names. Most infuriating. We say we started a fashion.

Calendargirl Wed 20-Jan-21 17:46:33

Surprised your name was considered unusual Fanny, as Hannah features in the Bible, so quite an old name.

Callistemon Wed 20-Jan-21 17:50:38

I shall refer to you as ‘Palindrome’ from now ?
?

I thought of Hannah for DD1 but chose a name on the other list which someone said they really dislike!

FannyCornforth Wed 20-Jan-21 18:14:44

Calendargirl

Surprised your name was considered unusual Fanny, as Hannah features in the Bible, so quite an old name.

I'm quite aware of that. She was the mother of Samuel.
I remember some Jehovah's Witnesses coming to the door when I was about 12. They had never heard of my name. I had to explain to them that it was from the OT.

FannyCornforth Wed 20-Jan-21 19:17:13

Callistemon

^I shall refer to you as ‘Palindrome’ from now^ ?
?

I thought of Hannah for DD1 but chose a name on the other list which someone said they really dislike!

I don't think that thread is a great idea. It will be taken down soon I imagine.

Ellypat Thu 21-Jan-21 02:22:36

I’ve never liked my Christian name, thought there’s nothing particularly awful about it. My daughter absolutely hated her, very ordinary but rather old fashioned, name, and adopted an entirely different one when she moved from elementary to high school. When she was in her early twenties she officially changed her name, much to the chagrin of her father, who had chosen it. I was proud of her! Wish I’d done the same.

Musicgirl Thu 21-Jan-21 14:54:56

Callistemon, our daughter, in her twenties, is Catriona. We pronounce it Catreena.

watermeadow Thu 21-Jan-21 18:53:36

We called our last daughter Jessica, a very unusual Biblical name. Within a few years it had become extremely common, in both senses of the word. I wondered whether there was a singer or soap opera character called Jessica but never found out.

Callistemon Thu 21-Jan-21 19:17:03

It might be very popular but never common, watermeadow!

We pronounce it Catreena.
That's how I pronounce it too, Musicgirl

I don't think that thread is a great idea. It will be taken down soon I imagine.
Me neither FannyC but it looks as if it's staying.

Callistemon Thu 21-Jan-21 19:22:50

FannyC
I'm getting mixed up with threads, the other one is not pleasant.
You might feel more comfortable asking for this one to be removed though.

Callistemon Thu 21-Jan-21 19:25:45

I think I'm still confused

FannyCornforth Thu 21-Jan-21 19:42:29

Oh dear. It does seem that my thread asking what name you would like to be called, has got mixed up with another thread which is asking posters to sneer at or 'dis' other people's names for a variety of reasons.
Callistemon I'm not going to ask for my thread to be removed.
I'm confused too confused