Gransnet forums

Chat

Shower Gel

(88 Posts)
MawBe Mon 18-Jan-21 11:44:11

We really should have a category headed “Trivia” but “Chat “ will have to do.
Shower gels- what do you use and why ? (Don’t say washing!)
I have three or four on the go at any one time and for me it depends on my mood
If I am feeling ‘fragile” and in need of pampering, I use L’Occitane Rose Shower Oil, because it is so moisturising, on “normal” days, their Rose Calisson or maybe Molton Brown Geranium Nefertum but today, feeling a bit snuffly I went for one of my all time favourites, Molton Brown Eucalyptus to “clear the tubes”
I have also come to the conclusion that cheap body wash is a false economy as it too often frequently has the consistency of washing up liquid and lasts no time at all, unlike e.g.Molton Brown which being thicker lasts for ages - as does the fragrance smile

TrendyNannie6 Mon 18-Jan-21 11:48:17

I am a fan of Milton brown shower gels too, but unfortunately I’m the only one that can use them, as they make my husbands skin itch, he has to use sanex

BigBertha1 Mon 18-Jan-21 11:48:18

I'm using Molten Brown at the moment but without running upstairs to the bathroom I dont know which one it is (its pink/red) smells lovely and as you say lasts for ages.

TrendyNannie6 Mon 18-Jan-21 11:48:28

Moulton

BigBertha1 Mon 18-Jan-21 11:48:33

Molton!!!

TrendyNannie6 Mon 18-Jan-21 11:49:28

Oh dear , I think I should go back to bed and get up again, Molten

GrannyGravy13 Mon 18-Jan-21 11:56:40

I use Jo Malone in the mornings, and I have a Neom relaxing one for the evenings.

Totally agree that the cheaper ones are a false economy, I shower every day and my shower gels last for months ?

Grandmabatty Mon 18-Jan-21 12:04:27

I use Dove for aging skin. I have a variety of lovely shower gels but they tend to irritate my skin. The dove one I use is the only one which moisturises my skin and doesn't cause me to scratch

kircubbin2000 Mon 18-Jan-21 12:09:29

I never see the point of a gel which just runs down the drain. Soap is best.

Teacheranne Mon 18-Jan-21 12:10:48

I’m afraid I’m not a fan of shower gel, I don’t seem to be able to use it effectively! I prefer a bar of soap, usually Imperial Leather in the shower.

I don’t like flannels or sponges in the shower so have nothing to put the gel on with other than pouring it into my hand, this is not only very wasteful but also cold on the skin.

Is it only me?

Jaxjacky Mon 18-Jan-21 12:15:03

Badedas, use the bath stuff to as I love the smell.

PippaZ Mon 18-Jan-21 12:19:11

Liz Earle. I must have got one when I was buying some skin care as I love the LE stuff and my skin tolerates it very happily - which is not always true of other makes. It's gloopy enough and I find they lasts for a reasonable time. I particularly like the Rosemary and Rock Rose and Orange Flower. They do matching body lotions too.

I also like their fragrances - they don't give me headaches as many perfumes do.

PollyDolly Mon 18-Jan-21 12:19:52

A bar of soap for me! I decided long ago to reduce my use of plastic, that meant cutting back on bottles of products and the first to go was shower gel, shampoo and conditioner. Soap is either Sanex or other mild soap and shampoo is a bar shampoo as is the conditioner both of which are produced in the U.K. Doing my bit for the planet!

Allegretto Mon 18-Jan-21 12:22:58

Another Molton Brown fan here. My favourite is Eucalyptus but I do use others from their range. Incidentally, I have recently become a fan of Verbena bars of soap from L’Occitaine, which I now use in the kitchen. They smell amazing and last for ages.

BBbevan Mon 18-Jan-21 12:24:30

I am a bar of soap person too. Still have several I bought in TK Maxx , when it was open.

Maggiemaybe Mon 18-Jan-21 12:37:09

Soap here too. I love the TK Maxx Italian bricks, which last for ages, but used to cut them in half so as to avoid breaking a foot when they slip out of my hands.

Just recently though I've bought a box of Friendly soap and shampoo, which is so much better for the planet and made locally. The soaps are lovely but do tend to go soft quite quickly, so I use one of their soapsaver hessian bags now for the odds and ends. Sorted.

Lisagran Mon 18-Jan-21 12:38:24

One of my daughters bought me some shower gel at Christmas which I use in the bath. It was from The Somerset Toiletry Co. and they seem fairly ethical. The one I like (Neroli and tangerine) reminds me of that scent of orange groves you get in the air in France and Spain........ smile. That one’s 1/2 price at the moment.

thesomersettoiletryco.co.uk/about-us/

vampirequeen Mon 18-Jan-21 12:45:10

I use Radox for sensitive skin. I used to use block soap but my skin is very dry and it made it even drier.

GagaJo Mon 18-Jan-21 12:49:16

Original Source lime. I LOVE the smell of lime, but it is a hard one to find. So although this gel isn't particularly luxurious, I LOVE the smell. SO invigorating and the scent does linger post shower, too. Win, win as far as I am concerned!

Nightsky2 Mon 18-Jan-21 12:53:05

Xanax and soap just fine for me.

Casdon Mon 18-Jan-21 12:57:22

I don’t use soap as it’s too drying for my skin, I always feel that it’s left a residue. My favourite shower gel at the moment is Decleor, which my daughter gave me for Christmas. If I’m buying it, I like the Sanctuary one that has the moisturizing oil in it.

Lucca Mon 18-Jan-21 12:58:56

Trivia is a great idea. It would save perhaps people being censured for getting upset about minor things
I’m a bit of a cheapskate with shower gel but always have a sponge. This thread has inspired me to buy some nicer gel!

Grannynannywanny Mon 18-Jan-21 13:03:18

I tend to have whichever is on offer in the supermarket. Usually Radox for £1. I like the lavender one best. I shower daily and a bottle lasts about 2 weeks.

Ellianne Mon 18-Jan-21 13:03:26

Ooo yes, another vote for L'Occitane verbena here. And pivoine flora.

BlueSky Mon 18-Jan-21 13:03:44

Same here I love and use l’Occitane (if I don’t spoil myself now I’ll never will) but DH can only use Sanex for sensitive skin, as everything else makes him itch!