Gransnet forums

Chat

A True and Tried way to feel better - even in a pandamic!

(41 Posts)
Applegran Wed 20-Jan-21 10:07:29

Lots of studies have shown that keeping a Gratitude Diary, even just for a few days, makes people happier for quite a long time afterwards - and some people keep a Gratitude Diary every day. Every evening you write three things you are grateful for that day - and why they made you grateful. For me it might be seeing snowdrops coming out, white clouds in a blue sky, a smile from someone, a bird singing, listening to some music I love - they are not likely to be big things, especially in a pandemic - though for me receiving my vaccinations certainly counted! And how about simply having a warm bed to sleep in - if you have? When things are hard it may seem impossible to find anything to be grateful for - but they are usually there if you look for them. Would you keep a Gratitude Diary? What are the things you are grateful for?

maddyone Wed 20-Jan-21 12:36:01

I love the parrots nanna8 and I wish I could see them through my window.

Puzzler61 Wed 20-Jan-21 12:40:37

Happy Birthday to You Lucca ? ? ? ? ?

Three things to be grateful for today :

A family to care about who care about me

Friends who stay close with telephone calls and e mails during these times when we can’t see each other

A warm, safe home and food in the cupboards/fridge/freezer

Nice thread Applegran.

Jaxjacky Wed 20-Jan-21 12:49:54

Happy Birthday Lucca a mere stripling!
I have much to be grateful for, good thread Applegran

PamelaJ1 Wed 20-Jan-21 12:55:49

I’m grateful that I cleaned the oven yesterday and don’t have to do it today.
? Lucca

anna7 Wed 20-Jan-21 13:48:00

@Lucca and FannyC. My dog is a golden cocker spaniel. He's 18 weeks now and it's gone really well. I have plenty of time to train him and walk him and its just so nice to have a dog around again.

Judy54 Wed 20-Jan-21 14:01:34

What a lovely thread Applegran It is the small things that make me grateful. Mr J making me a cup of tea, receiving phone calls/emails from family and friends, seeing a rainbow, seeing spring flowers starting to come out. Although I don't write things down, I do try to think at the end of the day what I am grateful for.

lemongrove Wed 20-Jan-21 14:10:08

Good idea Applegran? there is always something to be thankful for.I won’t keep a diary but will think of good things at some point in the day.We must never allow negativity to overcome us.
Happy Birthday Lucca??? worth being any age when you have nice presents and cards( makes up for it anyway.)
Enjoy your day.

Applegran Wed 20-Jan-21 16:09:06

Happy Birthday Lucca! I now find I am grateful for the things people have added to this thread ! Thank you! And a granddaughter just contacted me to chat about her life - so lovely that she wanted to tell me about it - and am grateful for that too.

Curlywhirly Wed 20-Jan-21 17:07:26

Happy Birthday Lucca ????
I'm grateful for my lovely little family, we are all so close, which is lovely for me, as I am not very close to my siblings. I'm so grateful being able to sit in a warm and cozy house whilst it is pouring down with rain outside. And after a childhood where there was absolutely no money, I am eternally grateful that we now have no money worries and are fortunate to have a relatively comfortable life.

LauraNorder Wed 20-Jan-21 18:02:13

Very happy birthday Lucca ???

LauraNorder Wed 20-Jan-21 18:09:27

I’m grateful for still being here, me and mine being quite healthy, the vaccine roll out, spring being 60 days away.
Today I’m grateful for the tasty curry Orlin made and grateful that’s there’s enough for tomorrow and that I managed to get a stain out of my favourite T-shirt.

nadateturbe Thu 21-Jan-21 00:47:36

Happy birthday Lucca. What a lovely surprise to have presents left in your porch.

Your little dog sounds delightful company Anna7. Something indeed to be thankful for.

hollysteers Thu 21-Jan-21 00:52:14

Kind AC, no money worries ?and a cat to soften lockdown.

nadateturbe Thu 21-Jan-21 00:56:28

Forgot to ask what is the new series please Anna7

Applegran Thu 21-Jan-21 09:13:50

I got up this morning and a gap in the clouds let the sunshine through the rain - and we had a rainbow!