Gransnet forums

Chat

The things we do

(71 Posts)
BlueBelle Wed 20-Jan-21 15:51:08

Is anyone as daft as me
When I m looking in the mirror doing my hair or putting makeup on I find myself putting a smile on (do I think I look better with a smile)
When I step on the scales I unconsciously take a big breath in and stand up straight ..... what a difference that makes ?
If I inadvertently step on an insect I apologise (out loud) usually ‘oh sorry mate’ ..........but it’s dead and I know it’s dead, it can’t hear me and it doesn’t speak English anyway ???

Do you do things that don’t really make much sense

axxliz Sun 24-Jan-21 14:36:49

I so enjoy Gransnet and particularly this topic. When I leave fridge or freezer doors open longer than they think is necessary, they make sounds to alert me and unfortunately I am not grateful. This only happens when I am making changes to shelves and so I just reply that I am aware and dislike being nagged. Same thing when appliances ping. If I have been waiting for the ping I thank the perpetrator but if if not I ask it or them to be quiet.
The self service tills are good and useful but I often have cross words with them and shop assistants hovering to help accept this as normal. In my experience, British people are very endearing and ready to smile even at times like this. xx

Oldwoman70 Sat 23-Jan-21 13:51:54

If I know the sat. nav. is taking me the long way round (why do they do that?), I always say "no I'm not going that way"

When putting the car in the garage I always say thank you and say it must be glad to be out of the rain/wind/cold

When a CD I was playing kept jumping I put it back in it's case, shut it in a drawer and said it could stay there until it decided it was going to behave

Yes, I think I am losing it (I think it is because I am spending so much time alone)

lemongrove Sat 23-Jan-21 13:49:51

Severnsider

I talk to myself all the time and answer myself. And I talk to my car when I'm driving.

They used to say talking to yourself was the first sign of madness!!?

It’s the only way sometimes to get an intelligent conversation.

Marmight Sat 23-Jan-21 13:35:34

Bluebelle love it ??

BlueBelle Sat 23-Jan-21 13:30:08

The Hermes man just brought me a parcel as I picked it up of the step he said ‘hang on I ve just got to take a photo’ and I looked up and bloody smiled

Marmight Sat 23-Jan-21 09:37:07

I shout (swear) at the SatNav a lot, especially when it tells me to ‘make a U turn when possible’. Look, who’s driving this b****y car, you or me?
I also ‘talk’ to my neighbours whose front door doesn’t appear to have a latch so it slams shut ‘Just how many more times are you going in or out? Just leave the door open/shut until you’ve made up your mind! Since being on my own, I talk a lot to myself which really shocks me as I thought only old people did that ?
I used to stand on the scales on one leg in the hope that I’d lost at least a stone. Apparently it doesn’t work like that ?

Kim19 Sat 23-Jan-21 09:33:20

These are SO good. Thank you all. I too exhale thoroughly before stepping on scales. I remember my Mum licking the hankie before face wipe. Ugh! When I rebelled she would say 'think of it as a kiss'. Dearie me...... The Tesco self check out said something to the effect of my purchase gathering points. Young girl passing was laughing because apparently I said 'I should think so but, thanks.' Don't mind being a bit fruit cake but usually try to keep it to myself!

Jane10 Sat 23-Jan-21 08:16:53

grin

BlueBelle Sat 23-Jan-21 08:13:29

Oh for f s sake I just said sorry to a book I nearly tripped over ?

Harmonypuss Fri 22-Jan-21 03:14:45

Jaxjacky .... I'm always polite to Alexa too.

Sometimes when I say 'thank you' she will respond with 'you're welcome' or 'anytime'.

I do know that 'she's' an inanimate object but I just can't stop using my good manners.

bobbydog24 Thu 21-Jan-21 18:41:21

I talk to my husband all the time though he passed away 18 months ago. I make comments while watching the news and chastise him when I have to do a DIY job he would have done. I have my old teddy bear on the bed during the day so when I go to bed I always apologise for moving him onto the chair.

lizzypopbottle Thu 21-Jan-21 18:14:32

It's a classic science question for investigation. Blow up two balloons then suspend them at either end of a cane or metre stick. Suspend the stick and balance it so it hangs horizontally. Pop one balloon (this releasing the air) and see the other one tip the stick downwards. Ergo! Air has mass.

lizzypopbottle Thu 21-Jan-21 18:09:16

BlueBelle Don't take a deep breath then get on the scales! Air has mass. You'll weigh less (though not much less) if you exhale and hold your breath! ?

Musicgirl Thu 21-Jan-21 15:19:23

I have often caught myself saying thank you to the automated cash machine when I get money out.

Nortsat Thu 21-Jan-21 15:11:01

I too, talk to all the cats I see on my daily walk. I tell them they are lovely ... and judging by their expressions, they know exactly what I am talking about.

Aepgirl Thu 21-Jan-21 15:09:38

When I use an ATM or a parking machine, I always say ‘thankyou’ to this inanimate object.

BlueBelle Thu 21-Jan-21 15:03:08

A while back I went to weightwatchers for a bit, I always had a wee before I got on the scales... ( made such a difference)

Happysexagenarian Thu 21-Jan-21 14:55:01

I talk to anyone or anything - cats, dogs, foods, inanimate objects..... This morning I had porridge and blueberries for breakfast. As I dropped the cold blueberries into the hot porridge I said "There we go little blueberries you'll soon be nice and warm" How daft am I!!

Bathsheba Thu 21-Jan-21 14:41:02

I shout at any fly that has the temerity to come in during the summer, "oh get out, you blankety blank nuisance, GET OUT!" The dog slopes off sheepishly into the hall, tail between her legs. "No, not you, you daft mutt, I'm talking to that fly!" I call, flailing my arms around trying to point the way to the open window, "you stupid, brain dead fly, you found your way in through the window, why the @*$@ can't you find your way out? angry"

KathrynP Thu 21-Jan-21 13:32:39

I always shout loudly as I leave the house unoccupied “ Bye George, won’t be long. Can you feed the dog before I get back.”
This is just in case there is a burglar watching the house!! My husband’s name isn’t
George!

Alioop Thu 21-Jan-21 13:01:15

Always say cheerio to the dog as I'm heading out and to behave and have no drunkin mad parties while I'm away.

pinkjj27 Thu 21-Jan-21 12:39:19

I always say thank you to cash machines when I get my cash out. No matter how many times I remind myself not to.

Helen657 Thu 21-Jan-21 12:39:08

AGAA4

I always pull my stomach in when I look in the mirror. Who am I kidding?
I have been known to talk to my car after walking through rain with a heavy bag and I thank it for being there.

I always say hello to my car when I go in the garage to get something out of the freezer, I even say “bet you’re glad you’re in here” when the weather is bad, & during lockdown I’ve apologised to it for not using it much! grin

Jane10 Thu 21-Jan-21 12:37:43

If I accidentally pass wind in any form I always loudly blame my son. (He left home years ago!)

pamdixon Thu 21-Jan-21 12:27:26

So glad I am not the only one who ducks when going under bridges in the car!
I talk to my sat nav a lot (mostly I'm polite!) when I'm driving somewhere and have long conversations with my daughter's dog when I see her. She always leaps into my arms when she sees me and we all imagine her saying to me 'but why didn't anyone tell me you were coming'.
Are we daft? Certainly not..................